M45 Fuel Gauge problem??? Post here if you have/had it!!!

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Boon
Car: 03 M45 Black on Black Crime

I want to start this post to help anyone who has this problem and is outside of warranty. I personally was outside of warranty by 23 days, and thankfully Infinity of Novi MI is a great place and got it taken care of for me. Not everyone is this lucky and it is not a low cost repair. I wanted to start this post to record number of issues for someone to use as ammo when dealing with this problem.

The problem at hand is that the Fuel Gauge in the car does not give accurate readings as to how much fuel is in the tank. In most instances it shows that you have half a tank when in reality it is empty.

If you would post your Year, Make, Mileage(when problem occured) and dealership of repair(if you had repairs done).

I will start this post off. Hopefully this helps someone with this problem.

Year: 2003Make: M45Milage: 54,000Dealer: Infinity of Novi, MI

Thanks......................Boon

nmgoodthing
Car: Brilliant Silver 2003 M45 / Pine Silver 2004 Lexus GX470 / Black 93 300zx TT

Year: 2003Make: M45Mileage: 28,000Dealer: Garcia Infiniti Albuquerque.

First they replaced the Fuel sending unit. I hadn't let my tank go down for awhile, so I never really knew if it was fixed. Finally noticed around 32K and took it back. It was out of warranty of course by that time, but they replaced it for free anyway. The whole cluster had to be replaced. I think Infiniti is aware of the issue and that's why they have been replacing the parts even out of warranty.

Bag302

Same as above here, just last month:

200349,000 mi

used my Infiniti Elite extended warranty

DELUNASC
Car: 03 M45

Same issue for me, it was reapired under warranty.

03 M4552,000Bomarito Infiniti ( St.Louis, MO )

CD

M45-Zero260
Car: Jaguar, Volvo. Former Infiniti, Audi, Lexus, Mitsubishi, Dodge, GM, Ford.

2003 Infiniti M45Black on Black w/every option80,500 miles

Had the issue for over a year now. I'm not one to usually let any of my cars fall below a quarter tank, but this particular car, I fill up every 200 miles to be safe. Yes, it's annoying. Yes, I should take it in. The problem is my 1 and only experience with my closest Infiniti dealership in Barrington, IL was not a good one, so I live with it. Personally, it doesn't bother me much as I don't even pay attention to the gauge anymore, only my miles, but I know that's no excuse for a car that started out over $50k 5 years ago. (Maybe I should replace my gas gauge with something more useable like a radar detector display or an MP3 display).

Hope this helps with some ammo. I know I could have used some ammo the day I tried to get my cat converters taken care of almost 20,000 miles ago.

-

mahmudb
Car: 97' BMW 740il, 03' Infiniti M45

2003 Infiniti M4551,000 milesBommarito Infiniti of St. Louis

Fuel gauge would show full when actually near empty. I had the extended warranty so I paid the $100 deductible and they replaced the whole cluster. No more problems. Now I'm having problems with my Audio control module

Boon

I noticed in the other 2 posts about this people were going back in forth about this either being the cluster or the fuel sending unit.

From my experience and from what I have read from others, this is the Cluster itself and not the sending unit.

I know there are alot more of you out there. Post it up!!!

ProvidenceLeaf
Car: 2003 M45

If anyone is having this problem there is a rare find on ebay! Mods if this is inappropriate sorry, but I figured I help out here with this since this is a known problem with the M and there may be a lot of people out of warrranty on here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1

sji

Mine has it. Started doing it last fall. I too count miles and fill up at around 250-270 miles. Does not bother me any more, plus I am at 70K miles and out of warranty. You would think they would do some kind of recall since it seems to be a factory defect.

wbrian63
Car: '03 M45

Got 'bit' by it this morning.

Just purchased the car a few weeks ago. 93k miles.

Rolled into the garage last night with the low fuel warning on. Came on as I entered the driveway.Got in the car to go to work this morning and it showed 1/4 tank.

10 miles down the freeway - putt putt putt.... ooooh CRAP!!!

Fortunately, it was prior to 6am, so little or no traffic, and these cars coast really well. Made it off the freeway and coasted into a gas station.

No more fillups beyond 300 miles on odo.

Haven't even contacted the dealer about the problem - likely no assistance would be provided at this late date.

jadeM45
Car: Pending

I have this same problem on my 03 with 40k that i picked up this month. I took the car into Infiniti and they ae replacing the gauge cluster under my extended warranty I purchased with the car.

saeedakobiakov
Car: 03 M45

the gauge cluster , got new one 8 month ago. works like new i guess.

nmgoodthing
Car: Brilliant Silver 2003 M45 / Pine Silver 2004 Lexus GX470 / Black 93 300zx TT

I would seriously take it in anyway.

It's obviously a very common problem. My dealer fixed it out of warrenty. You could aslo call Infiniti corporate.

M4503transporter
Car: 03 M45 Silver, 07 350z Grand Touring Black

year 2003make m45millage 56000

I just started having this problem last week. Ill give my infiniti dealer a call one of these days to see what could be done since im not covered under warranty anymore. I'll probably try calling infiniti corporate too.

LaCapitalRue
Car: Acura NSX, 2007 Mercedes E350, 2003 M45

2003 M45 with 93500 miles. On my M, 3/8 of a tank translates to empty. I called Infiniti Corporate today and got the "sorry but..." speech . I suspect I'll get the same response from the dealer.

jadeM45
Car: Pending

I had my cluster replaced, and then the fuel sending unit went bad. All was repaired under my aftermarket extended warranty. That is the best thing I have ever purchased. I paid $1350 for a 5 year 60k mile bumper to bumper no deductible plan. So far I had the gauge cluster, fuel sending unit, a light control module and the cd changer replaced. They have paid out about $2500 so far so it has paid for it self and more.

GJEMD

I noticed all fuel gauge issues are with 2003 M45. ANY 2004 reports?

bigdaddyrob2k3

2003 m4564k

I took my vehicle to the dealership for diagnosis of the faulty fuel gauge problem. Same day contacted infiniti consumer affairs informing them this appears to be a common problem etc. ConsAffair advised they would look into it. The dealership confirmed a faulty gauge and quoted $650+ tax to fix. (Warranty exp in Nov 07). Two days later, dealership called and said they would repair at reduced price per ConsAffair. Got my vehicle back today and was only charged for the oil change!

I would advise anyone experiencing this problem to call infiniti Consumer Affairs - several times if needed.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Welcome to NICO!
bigdaddyrob2k3 wrote:I took my vehicle to the dealership for diagnosis of the faulty fuel gauge problem. Same day contacted Infiniti consumer affairs informing them this appears to be a common problem etc. ConsAffair advised they would look into it. The dealership confirmed a faulty gauge and quoted $650+ tax to fix. (Warranty exp in Nov 07). Two days later, dealership called and said they would repair at reduced price per ConsAffair. Got my vehicle back today and was only charged for the oil change!
Good Stuff™!! I am glad it worked out well for you.
bigdaddyrob2k3 wrote:I would advise anyone experiencing this problem to call Infiniti Consumer Affairs - several times if needed.
Excellent advice for sure.

Z

THT
Car: 96 Legacy L AWD 5spd wagon, 04 M45

It seems my 04 has the opposite of this problem and the gauge is negatively biased. It will show half a tank when I really have 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank. Odd...

lswaidz
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

my 03 with about 72k has had this problem since I bought it. Only experience it when I run the tank down until a gallon... once the "fuel warning" comes up, the gauge begins to climb back up, often hitting over half a tank.

regtwelve
Car: 03 m45

Mine ran out of gas a few months ago, I knew it had the problem but tried to squeeze a few extra miles when I was in a hurry. I called the infinity 800 number and someone came and gave me gas at no charge. The car had 45K miles and no extended warranty.

I then called my semi local infinity dealer, they sort of said they had heard of the problem but that the repair wouldn't be covered under warranty. I will never go there now! (oh yeah, only reason I needed them was for free stuff anyway ).

mumeh
Car: 2003 M45

I just found this forum, but this problem appeared on my car about three months ago, outside of warranty. I have a 2003 M45 that had about 65k miles when the problem first arose. Exact same symptoms as everyone else has described - occasionally correct readings, no low fuel warning, but mostly erroneous, and it happened overnight. I have been living off refilling at 300 miles (I'm curious about the other guy who is getting 400 miles per tankful, but maybe I have a lead foot). Based on what I read here, I'm going to try the two-pronged attack - approach the dealer about this and also approach Infiniti consumer affairs. I've had few gripes about the car until now, but if they have a widespread defect, they need to do right, because I am a customer who WOULD likely buy another Nissan/Infiniti product based on my experience. I'll feedback with the results, and I should also mention that I am in the SF Bay area, as that may be helpful information.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

mumeh wrote:I just found this forum, but this problem appeared on my car about three months ago, outside of warranty. I have a 2003 M45 that had about 65k miles when the problem first arose. Exact same symptoms as everyone else has described - occasionally correct readings, no low fuel warning, but mostly erroneous, and it happened overnight. I have been living off refilling at 300 miles (I'm curious about the other guy who is getting 400 miles per tankful, but maybe I have a lead foot). Based on what I read here, I'm going to try the two-pronged attack - approach the dealer about this and also approach Infiniti consumer affairs. I've had few gripes about the car until now, but if they have a widespread defect, they need to do right, because I am a customer who WOULD likely buy another Nissan/Infiniti product based on my experience. I'll feedback with the results, and I should also mention that I am in the SF Bay area, as that may be helpful information.
Welcome to NICO.

I would call Infiniti Corporate and discuss this, without getting angry, but without allowing to accept NO for an answer.

Too many people seem to be experiencing this issue, and it may well be endemic enough to warrant them fixing it ... even though your car is not covered anymore.

Good luck with that effort, and please let us know if you are successful.

Z

Boon

I ran out of gas on the Interstate in the middle of a snow/ice storm where the shoulder was covered in 12" snow and almost got ruined by an 18 wheeler. I had to get my car towed off of the shoulder because even after putting gas in it which I luckily figured out was the problem, I was then stuck in 18" of snow cause it took 3 hours for the tow truck to get there with the gas.

They need to realize the severity of this issue. It takes a number of deaths, yes deaths for a car manufacturer to claim something as a recall issue. That in my opinion is absurd.

Modified by Boon at 12:13 PM 6/30/2008

THT
Car: 96 Legacy L AWD 5spd wagon, 04 M45

Boon wrote:This might sound stupid but throw this out and I bet it gets covered,

Car ran out of gas on the highway with the wife and kids in the car, almost got in an accident as I tried to get to the shoulder, then ended up stranded on the side of the road for 2 hours and missed my grandmothers funeral. All because of your known issue faulty fuel gauge that you guys have yet to recall. If this does not get taken care of I will be contacting a lawyer and filing a gross negligence lawsuit.

It should work for ya.

I actually did run out of gas on the Interstate in the middle of a snow/ice storm where the shoulder was covered in 12" snow and almost got ruined by an 18 wheeler. I had to get my car towed out off of the shoulder because even after putting gas in it which I luckily figured out was the problem, I was then stuck in 18" of snow cause it took 3 hours for the tow truck to get there with the gas.

They need to realize the severity of this issue. It takes a number of deaths, yes deaths for a car manufacturer to claim something as a recall issue. That in my opinion is absurd.
Mentioning a lawyer would kill your claim right then and there. As soon as legal action is even hinted, you'll be referred to the legal department and you won't get your car fixed.

Boon

Fixed to omit the lawyer part. Thanks THT.

GJEMD

THT wrote:Mentioning a lawyer would kill your claim right then and there. As soon as legal action is even hinted, you'll be referred to the legal department and you won't get your car fixed.
Not necessarily. If you cannot get a satisfactory disposition of your product issue, then its time to let the CS contact know its up to Infiniti to avoid a legal remedy. Be clear, no filing is anticipated but legal consultation is a given. Small claims are published in the local newspaper. Infiniti wants no part of this avoidable PR hit.

sji

I emailed my service manager and attached a link to this thread. Mentioned that I was experienceing the same issues. I got a response from the SM and requested I bring the car in to be checked out. My thought was, "oh great, Im taking it in and getting screwed because it need to get fixed and out of warranty." I waited a couple of weeks and another problem arose...the check engine light kept coming on and off after fill ups until it just stayed stuck and would not come off. So I had my wife take it in with the I inspect mailer. I did not mention the fuel gauage problem, btw. Service rep calls me and says that my gauge cluster is bad and needs to be replaced and gives me a good size $$$ figure...So i request to talk to the SM I had emailed and mentioned my email to him several weeks back. He remembered and worked with me and found a way to get the whole thing done FREE OF CHARGE!!! All I have to say is, Clear Lake Infiniti ROCKS!!! I did have to pay for some other things that needed to be taken care of, but all in all it was a great thing they did to make sure the customer was taken care of. Definately going to buy my next M there. That's my story. Pretty sure if you go in with a good attitude and willing to work with them things should go well.

myother45isalesbaer
Car: 2004 M45 Q70 awd,4.5

Boon,

I think you are correct. I had my tach replaced and then my gas gauge read higher than it did before. I think that's all one unit.

Does this mean the miles to empty calculation is also wrong?

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”