z32 brake swap on vert

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Guys, this is next upgrade I'm planning on. Should I go with 26mm or 30mm? I think I want aluminum calipers. I have 4 lugs, so I'm going to redrill the rotors. Is there anything I should know or be careful about? I could have asked this in brakes and suspension forum, but I want to hear from vert guys.

KA-Te

You should buy my Z32 brake set-up!

zerothread/199007

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

Can you do a write up for us 'vert guys when you do the project? I am hoping to do this in the future as well. I am planning to stay 4 lug forever now that I found some nice wheels.. so I'd like to see how your rotors turn out... are you going to drill them yourself? Or have you found a site to buy them pre-drilled? I really would like some slotted Z32 rotors drilled to 4 lug.

I would assume the 26mm would be better for the extra 4 mm of clearance?

madcowvert

i have 26mm on my vert.. i have z32's all around front rear and ebrake and z32 brake master cylinder... if i could do it agian i would get 30mm just so that i can upgrade to bigger rotors.. i am five lug but i have drilled 6 or 7 rotors i do it here in miami for $10 a rotor..

zerothread?id=154433

this link shows them on my vert and also if you scroll down helpful links to do the brake swap and 5 lug conversion.

94_240sx

KA-Te wrote:You should buy my Z32 brake set-up!

zerothread/199007
Kate,I'd love to get them, but I can't afford it right now and it's over my budget. I'm going to collect necessary parts little by little whenever I can afford them. Thanks for the offer though.
Modified by 94_240sx at 1:55 PM 10/3/2006

94_240sx

Eikon wrote:Can you do a write up for us 'vert guys when you do the project? I am hoping to do this in the future as well. I am planning to stay 4 lug forever now that I found some nice wheels..
These are some useful websites about the swap.http://www.sportcompactcarweb....ilviahttp://www.240sx.org/links/ins...E.jpghttp://importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm

I just bought a set of 4-lug wheels that I like, so I will stay with 4 lugs for sure. I also swapped wheel studs with Nismo 50mm ones.
Eikon wrote:I'd like to see how your rotors turn out... are you going to drill them yourself? Or have you found a site to buy them pre-drilled? I really would like some slotted Z32 rotors drilled to 4 lug.
There's an eBay seller SPORTSBRAKESCOM. This shop is local and 10min away from my work. I've talked to them before and they were super cool. At the time, I didn't ask about 300zx rotors, but I'm sure they do custom jobs on 300zx Brembo rotors. They have z32 30mm 4 lug conversion rotors on sale right now. Slotted and drilled too. I was going to buy 4 lug Brembo rotors from them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...photo
Eikon wrote:I would assume the 26mm would be better for the extra 4 mm of clearance?
I'm not sure about on this. I wonder what other people think. 26mm or 30mm? I know madcow likes 30mm. I also have to check if my wheels can clear them, but I'm pretty positive that they will clear 30mm easy.

This place charges $35 plus shipping for each caliper powder coated, so I'm going to powder coat calipers in red first.

http://www.trgcoating.com/

Modified by 94_240sx at 1:55 PM 10/3/2006

madcowvert

i dont know if you like my calipers but.. i used the caliper paint that you brush on...

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I did 30mm on my vert.

I sprayed my calipers, VHT high-heat.

94_240sx

AZhitman wrote:I did 30mm on my vert.I sprayed my calipers, VHT high-heat.
Okay. Cool! 30mm aluminum caliper search officially started....

madcowvert

dont qutoe me but i think the 30mm only came in iorn...

madcowvert

so i was wrong here is some info to help your search out

The following is a comparison of some different Z32 300ZX brake calipers.

The "26mm Aluminum" calipers were used ONLY on 1990 non-turbos. They used a 280mm x 26mm rotor.

The "30mm Aluminum" calipers were used on 1990 Twin-turbos and ALL 1991-1992.5 300ZX's (both turbo and non-turbo alike). They used a 280mm x 30mm rotor.

The "30mm Iron" calipers were used on ALL 1992.5-1996 300ZX's (both turbo and non-turbo alike). They also used the 280mm x 30mm rotor.

wirelessalpha
Car: 93 SR Vert, 96 318ti, 06 Altima

SPORTSBRAKESCOM - I've bought rotors from them. Good guys when I spoke to them over the phone. If I recall, the DO drilling...in fact, when I asked why the Brembo's I bought were so cheap, I was told:

We buy reg brembo rotors and cross drilled them here. Then resell....

so...that should tell you that they know there stuff...

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

don't search too hard.

i would recomend looking up the part via autozone's webpage and go with remanufactured calipers - they're super cheap and good as new. they want a core, so wait a couple weeks and take your old 240 calipers back. most autozone employees won't know the difference if they even check at all.

94_240sx

DeXteR wrote:don't search too hard.

i would recomend looking up the part via autozone's webpage and go with remanufactured calipers - they're super cheap and good as new. they want a core, so wait a couple weeks and take your old 240 calipers back. most autozone employees won't know the difference if they even check at all.
I was looking at Autozone website like 5 min ago. They have remanufactured ones, but on special order. I'll drop by Autozone and see what they say. Here's another thread about the swap.

zerothread?id=120148

slownslurious

get the autozone ones if you can most of hte time they are backordered out the wazooo. if you get remanufactured ones paint them at least with high temp clear or they will rust pitifully. the manufactured ones are cheaper than junkyard ones if you can find them but keep in mind that all the pins and shims you need are about $50-60 all together from courtesy nissan... if you can 5 finger them from a junkyard you'll be pretty far ahead, but skip buying junkyard calipers when you can get rebuilt ones cheaper.

madcowvert

slownslurious wrote:get the autozone ones if you can most of hte time they are backordered out the wazooo. if you get remanufactured ones paint them at least with high temp clear or they will rust pitifully. the manufactured ones are cheaper than junkyard ones if you can find them but keep in mind that all the pins and shims you need are about $50-60 all together from courtesy nissan... if you can 5 finger them from a junkyard you'll be pretty far ahead, but skip buying junkyard calipers when you can get rebuilt ones cheaper.
dont know what junk yard you go to but i get the z32 brakes all around plus ebrake for $150 with rotors i dont think its a bad deal the only thing is finding them.

slownslurious

they are cheaper than that at autozone. Z calipers are usually $40-50 each at the junkyard, rotors are $30 each, having them turning is usually about $9 or 10 per rotor.

Rebuilt calipers from autozone are about the same price, new rotors off ebay are crossdrilled and/or slotted and don't require being turned. Its only slightly more to get the new rebuilt parts.

And if, like me, youve ever been stuck with a set of seized calipers from your junkyard shopping, you know the value of going with rebuilt parts from the getgo.

The powdercoated ones are only like $100 a pair from autozone. come on, you can't beat that.

madcowvert

when i say $150 that is for

4 calipers front & rear 2 rear ebrake drums and the lines 1 master cylinder 4 rotors. 2 rear 5 lug hubs

all that for 150 and i think thats a steel. i'm not saying auto zone is bad just that i think thats a good deal at the junk yards the only thing is trying to find them....

94_240sx

Try junkyard now. It's not going to happen. Many places know that z32 brakes are popular among 240 guys, so they've jacked up the price.

madcowvert

lol the prices are flat rate at my u-pick.. any caliper you find is going to be the same price not matter if its a z32 caliper or a honda caliper. and when i do find them i sale the to the local 240 people for like $400. and make a nice finders fee....

94_240sx

That's cool. Most places quoted me $50 per one caliper, so you need $200 for all.

slownslurious

agreed those prices aren't realistic.

I've bought about 4 sets of Z brake caipers at various junkyards and I've gotten everything you claim to have got for $150. The u pick it lots that charge flat rates usually dont get expensive cars like Z's in, and if htey do they are picked clean very quickly. Where I live Z cars dont keep their brakes long and all the yard owners know what they have. When you bring them up they say "oh those racing brakes" etc. More realistic price from a yard is $50 each for front calipers, $30 each for rears, $20 each for rotors, $10-20 for master cylinder, and $50 each for 5 lug hubs.

Trust me I have spent a disordinately large portion of my life in junkyards, buying and selling parts. I spent a summer with no job just solely buying parts from junkyards and selling them on ebay/internet for my rent and food. I can pretty much tell you what any high demand part will run at your average yard. are there good deals? yes. sometimes. can you count on getting one? no. because you usually won't. thats why there is an average price. cause there are higher and lower but most are around average.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

if you're junkyard shopping for Z calipers, use http://www.car-parts.com i used that engine to find a yard close to me with some Zs in it, and got mine for about 45 apiece.

and 150 for ALL that? if you're selling all that for that price, you're taking a beating on the profit. I think total in all, with junkyard shopping, buying off friends, and buying good aftermarket parts, I've spent close to $600 for my brakes front and rear. But that also includes the rear aluminum upright too. I have two more pieces to get before I can use the rear brakes. 5 lug wheels, and Z rear struts.

94_240sx

tenkawa_akito wrote:I have two more pieces to get before I can use the rear brakes. 5 lug wheels, and Z rear struts.
What do you mean? Those are not required, are they? Are you just waiting for those parts, so you can work on your car at once? I have 4-lug and please don't tell me I must have 5-lug conversion done to get rear brake swap done.

madcowvert

tenkawa_akito wrote:and 150 for ALL that? if you're selling all that for that price, you're taking a beating on the profit. I think total in all, with junkyard shopping, buying off friends, and buying good aftermarket parts, I've spent close to $600 for my brakes front and rear. But that also includes the rear aluminum upright too. I have two more pieces to get before I can use the rear brakes. 5 lug wheels, and Z rear struts.
yes i did get it for $150 but i turn around and sale them for like 400-500.

the junk yards in miami are U picks pay a dollar to get in and you get what you need.. they have a standard price sheet which means there is no diffrence in the car you get the parts from everything is the price. example cailper $10 no matter what car it is off of.

dont get me wrong we have people that have there own junk yards and there prices are crazy... it would be like 600 for the whole thing.

slownslurious

most u picks have no expensive cars... Z's, even crashed ones, still go for a good bit at the auctions, usually the U picks quit bidding on them once they go too high. Same reason you don't find supras or vettes or 350Z's etc... at U picks. besides a lot of the U picks here are changing to not allow customers to remove parts or even go back in the yards anymore. the times they are a changin.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

94_240sx wrote:What do you mean? Those are not required, are they? Are you just waiting for those parts, so you can work on your car at once? I have 4-lug and please don't tell me I must have 5-lug conversion done to get rear brake swap done.
the issue i'm having with the rears is that the hub bearing carrier has a spacer built in for the e brake assembly. Without that spacer, they e brake gets cocked in its position. I've tried swapping my 4 lug hub into the 5 lug bearing, and that won't work. The ID of the 5 lug bearing is much larger than the 4 lug. Also, the OD of the bearing is different as well, so I can't put the 4 lug bearing itself in the 5 lug bearing carrier. So in short, the rear needs to be upgraded to 5 lug.

As far as rear struts go, I'm gonna go with the aluminum uprights since I have them, which means I get to upgrade to Z struts. You can retain the rear 240 struts but you have to keep the heavier iron upright.

94_240sx

So the coclusion is... You can't have z32 rear calipers installed with 4 lug hub. It must be swapped with 5 lug. Is that right? Man... I didn't know it has to be that way. Is there any other alternative? I really want to keep 4 lug hub in the rear because I just bought 4 lug rims that I like so much.

madcowvert

i dont think you should have a problem staying for lug you just re use your 4 lug hubs and drill the rotor 4lug

slownslurious

You can install the brakes and keep the 4 lug hub they bolt up, you just wont have an E brake... you have to swap over the whole internal drum brake thing from the Z. its kind of a *****, and then when youre done with that you have to splice the E brake cable.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”