S13AL's 91' S13 HKS HIPERMAX III's, Blacktop SR20, S15 HLSD

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

I finally have my 240. I'm 16 years old and I've been set on getting a hatch for over 5 years and have been working for it for two. I started out doing manual labor for $5 per hour mowing lawns, pulling tree stumps etc. I made about two grand doing this for almost two years (most of which went to gas and insurance for my taurus :tisk: ) and then i got a job painting houses about 4 months ago, which pays well. So, here I am with a Limited Edition 240sx equipped with a slushbox that I got for $2,500. The car has spent its whole life in Washington, which is probably why it has almost no rust. The original owner had the car till 07' and the person that bought it from them was the only other owner. Both were adult drivers judging by the near flawless exterior(The only accident it has seen was a little tap to the front bumper on the driver's side). So, First on the to do list is to remove the rust sponge and mud flaps and fix up the hatch. After that, obviously is a 5 spd swap.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked in the side mirror on my way home and saw the curved quarter glass of a 240sx. :rotfl

My previous DD was a Ford Taurus station wagon so taking corners in this car makes me feel like i'm driving a go-kart. :chuckle:

The dash is clean just like the rest of the interior.

Limited edition interior FTW

No rust on the chassis whatsoever

I don't care much about the mileage, because the car runs well and was well taken care of.

Even though i do think drifting is cool and I have attended the last 3 events of Formula D at Evergreen Speedway I do prefer Grip.
So, I have plans to start auto crossing after the 5 speed swap is done.
Last edited by S13AL on Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EnjoiNismo
Car: 93 240sx

Very clean, Gratz
GL on it, good pick up!

S13AL
Car: 1991 240sx hatch with blacktop s13 sr20det, HKS Hipermax III suspension, HKS Sport exhaust, Blitz downpipe, S15 Sylvia HLSD, 300zx/J30 5 lug and brakes, and mesh wheels

thanks, man.

I was wondering if anyone knows of some solid write ups on the 5 speed swap?
I've been having issues with the search feature ever since we switched over the forum thing.

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

Holy crap your brake master cylinder looks like its topped off

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

There are a few write ups on the 240sx tech pages, but it's a pretty straightforward procedure. The hardest part is drilling the firewall for the clutch master cylinder.

Looks really clean, I'm jealous of the leather interior!

Caveit77777
Car: 1996 240sx SE

Good choice on choosing autocross! I have nothing against drifting but I'm tired of threads where people got a 240 so they think they can drift. You should have fun doing autox and meet some pretty helpful people. Clean ride too.

89ni$$an
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback SOHC on its way out

High mileage FTW!!! mine has 234k and STILL runs!

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Nice pickup dude.

Get rid of those leather seats asap while they're in mint condition. Some 240 guys would love to have those, plus it would give you money to upgrade to better seats or maybe some manual seatbelts.

Also, looks like there's no rust either, that's great. The only place I would check would be under the rear spoiler. Common spot for rust.

Overall, looks good dude. You'll be overjoyed once you get the 5 speed swap done. It's night and day. :)

S13AL

Thank you everyone for the comments :) I really do appreciate all of the props.
I'll keep you guys posted on the parts as they come in, but i've been pretty busy with work lately, so lets hope I find time.
AZ89two4Tsx wrote:Nice pickup dude.

Get rid of those leather seats asap while they're in mint condition. Some 240 guys would love to have those, plus it would give you money to upgrade to better seats or maybe some manual seatbelts.

Also, looks like there's no rust either, that's great. The only place I would check would be under the rear spoiler. Common spot for rust.

Overall, looks good dude. You'll be overjoyed once you get the 5 speed swap done. It's night and day. :)
The hatch is rusted, so i'm looking to replace it, however I kinda like the seats even though I know I will need more supportive ones for autox.
How much do you think I could get for them anyway? I'd def trade for like OMP buckets :chuckle:
Caveit77777 wrote:Good choice on choosing autocross! I have nothing against drifting but I'm tired of threads where people got a 240 so they think they can drift. You should have fun doing autox and meet some pretty helpful people. Clean ride too.
Thanks. I just find going fast more appealing than sliding even if it doesn't look as cool.
Chris28 wrote:There are a few write ups on the 240sx tech pages, but it's a pretty straightforward procedure. The hardest part is drilling the firewall for the clutch master cylinder.

Looks really clean, I'm jealous of the leather interior!
Is it because of the location or the thickness of the metal?

S13AL

I decided it was about time for an update. That and i have an unexpected day off from work. :biggrin:

First, off I have acquired the box containing 5 gears, which I drove 240 miles to get for $125.
It was sitting for 4 years in a garage so I'll have to flush it with fluid a couple times.

I got a manual brake pedal, clutch pedal/master cylinder, rubber shifter thingy, and manual center console plate.
the drive shaft, clutch slave, hard lines, and some other things are still on their way. All for $275 shipped

Got rid of the rust sponge

Grinded off the rust with a die grinder and got some scrap metal and welded it in for the bigger holes.

Then fiberglassed the smaller ones.

Here is the finished product after bondo, a $#!t load of sanding, and primer.
I was wondering if anyone here knows how to get new emblems for the hatch or remove the old ones without destroying them.

New speakers for all four corners: 4x6 Infinity references
Old speakers:

I took off the mudflaps and washed and waxed the car before the spoiler came off.

Now I'm in the process of buying a shifter, trans crossmember, and a clutch kit.

costa_rican13
Car: 1993 s13 coupe

so uh whatcha gona do with the mudflaps :). i GOT DIBS IF YOUR SELLING THEM for a good price!!! XD

S13AL

At the moment I'm keeping them, but if I change my mind I'll remember to PM you.

laxands13
Car: 93 240sx Hatchback - Sold and missed
80 280zx - sold
83 Honda Civic Wagon - Current DD, soon to be CA16 powered

looks pretty good man. nice job on fixing the hatch

costa_rican13
Car: 1993 s13 coupe

S13AL wrote:At the moment I'm keeping them, but if I change my mind I'll remember to PM you.
ok great, and nice car by the way. super clean. i remember mine the same way, except it has a cracker dash...

S13AL

laxands13 wrote:looks pretty good man. nice job on fixing the hatch
Thanks, I think it looks good too now, but I wish I would have just gotten a new hatch.

EnjoiNismo
Car: 93 240sx

Nice job on the hatch, touche!

TimTurboZ
Car: 95 S14 w/RBXX... 65' Mustang GT

S13AL

TimTurboZ wrote:Remember to get one of these http://www.frsport.com/Genuine-OEM-Niss ... _8179.html
Oh thanks, almost forgot the thing that plugs the shifter hole on the tranny :slap:

S13AL

So, I managed to get all the parts for the swap, but I'm still waiting for some bolts from Courtesy Nissan and for my flywheel to get back from the machine shop.

Here's my Exedy oem clutch kit

Circuit sports short shifter, tranny rear main seal, and the shifter seal

Crossmember, Dust plate, and shifter bracket i got off craigslist

My driveshaft, hardlines, and slave cylinder

Installed the manual brake pedal, which was quite the biatch

Installed the short shifter, rear main seal (tranny), and replaced the throwout bearing.

I know this is nothing exciting for the majority of you guys out there doing much cooler stuff to your cars, but we all gotta start somewhere.
Hopefully, soon after the swap and paint I will be looking into wheels and then possibly TEIN coilovers

gigabit240
Car: 92 s13 hatch -sold
98 s14 kouki -current

LE stands for luxury edition. Not that important but just a fact lolz. Outstanding car though. I gotta hand it to you for all the work you've done to get not only a car but a 5 speed swap. I'm 16 too and I could never afford any of this for my 240.

S13AL

Thanks, I've spent about 900 for everything you see (fiberglass bondo etc.)
700 for 5-speed parts and I would spend MUCH more if didn't do all the work by myself.
I know there's some things you can do to an s13 without spending too much cash

Seanzyyy
Car: 1990 240sx se coupe

wow,
great progress!
GL with your future autocross plans!

s13_chris
Car: 90 240sx Hatch

I highly recommend the next three parts for your car. It'll feel like a whole different way more solid car. Coilovers, vsld, and some nice fitting wheels. Besides that welcome to the white hatch club.

S13AL

Here is the final post before the swap, which i start tomorrow. I will try to remember to take as many pics as I can while doing it.

This is my Flywheel after I got it back from the machine shop

Drilled out the holes and installed the clutch master and pedal

Here is my new rear main seal and a ton of bolts that I ordered from courtesy Nissan

Finally the tranny oil (85w90 gl4) and pilot bushing removal tool and I'm doing the engine oil while I'm at it too

S13AL

Chris28 wrote:The hardest part is drilling the firewall for the clutch master cylinder.
I just went back and read this and I have to say that I disagree. It took all of ten minutes...

S13AL

So, the 5 speed is in and to say the least its amazing

The slushbox weighed about twice as much as the manual

Since i was pulling it on my own i used this atv jack, which i highly recommend :dblthumb:

Another thing that comes in handy is 4 feet of ratchet extensions

No more automatic

Your chances of getting the pilot busing out with an internal puller are slim

So, I had to die grind/chisel/pry/drill it out..( i would recommend just drilling it in half with a tough drill bit)

Changed the rear main seal

I found the socket method to be quite effective at holding the flywheel

wired my reverse lights and spliced the park wires together

:wavey:

Here is my dust shield glowing red hot.
I had to jimmy rig an auto crossmember onto the 5 speed, because some guy gave me the wrong one.
when I drove home the next morning after getting done I heard a terrible noise
and saw sparks and flames coming out of my shifter hole. I kept driving until the
dust shield on the tranny was grinded down by the driveshaft, but I now have
the manual crossmember in :rotflmao

I found out that my slave is leaking pretty bad so i had to order a new one

Next i am looking into buying a head unit, shift knob, vss, and a new hatch

TheRealNap0le0n
Car: 1998 q45

the dust shield on the back of the tranny?? i had an s14 tranny and the dust shield hit the big rubber u-joint on my s13 driveshaft so i cut it off.

i've only done one tranny in car and it sucked a**.... hardest part was getting the trans stabbed in the clutch plate..... smh

my car i did the swap along with the motor and the one in my garage right now is the same.

S13AL

TheRealNap0le0n wrote:the dust shield on the back of the tranny?? i had an s14 tranny and the dust shield hit the big rubber u-joint on my s13 driveshaft so i cut it off.

i've only done one tranny in car and it sucked a**.... hardest part was getting the trans stabbed in the clutch plate..... smh

my car i did the swap along with the motor and the one in my garage right now is the same.
There is a cup like piece of metal that is on the tail of the tranny, which prevents rocks and things from getting into the rear main seal.

I was lucky that i had a friend to help me put the transmission in place, but it was a PITA to get it all the way into the clutch.

S13AL

Clutch slave is in
VSS in

Here's the super clean base model hatch i got. No more hatch wiper.

angelscrx
Car: 1992 240sx

Don't put the clutch slave assist in. You will get a much better clutch feel without it. There is a good write up here somewhere that I used and its pretty simple to bypass it. Build looks good, not bad for a 16 year old kid doing it on his own. Keep up the good work.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”