Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 70579
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 97 D21, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby AZhitman » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Let's run down the list of shenanigans these guys are pulling...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Soho-Imp ... 3701892718

Aside from the fact that they couldn't even pull the trigger on owning their "business" domain name (it belongs to a furniture joint), they've been steadily ramping up the importation of Japanese vehicles, while claiming they're "DOT Approved".

Not even a Registered Importer.

Here's the best part - Check out the forged, fake DOT compliance letter they passed on to a customer recently.

Image

I think these idiots fail to realize that EVERYONE talks to us. Whether it's through Sean Morris's extremely informative educational rants about grey-market cars, or our own articles on importation and legalization, anyone with any sense would know that this information gets back to us with a quickness.

The customer who provided us with the copy of the fake DOT letter will be making some notes - We're going to touch base with our friends at Customs Enforcement... I'm sure they'll be real interested to observe the forging of "official" documents.

They won't be the first wannabe importer we've exposed - The list is growing longer every year.

More info on these guys soon... :gapteeth:


User avatar
themadscientist
Posts: 29302
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:30 pm
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby themadscientist » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:07 am

Ohhh, forging a federal document. Those guys are soooo done!

I would like to volunteer to interrogate her! :naughty:

Image

User avatar
GTRPower
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:48 am

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby GTRPower » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:16 am

They might not be.

Did anyone call up NHTSA and get a VIN verification?

If JK did the cert process a '95 BCNR-33 very well could have passed- no OBDII but with SRS airbag. 1995 are substantially similar to 1996-1998 for NHTSA cert, and EPA only mandates post-1995 for OBDII.

Food for thought.

z32mann
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:24 pm
Car: 94 tt z

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby z32mann » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:38 am

Have a co worker who just put a non refundable 5k deposit down on a 96 integra type r.

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 70579
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 97 D21, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby AZhitman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 am

Have him keep us updated... Although that's a big difference, since the us-market car was substantively similar.

User avatar
bigbadberry3
Posts: 2095
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 6:19 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby bigbadberry3 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 pm

z32mann wrote:Have a co worker who just put a non refundable 5k deposit down on a 96 integra type r.
Hope it was in yellow.

User avatar
themadscientist
Posts: 29302
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:30 pm
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby themadscientist » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:48 am

They are cool in Yellow.

volition
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm
Car: z32

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby volition » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:16 pm

GTRPower wrote:They might not be.

Did anyone call up NHTSA and get a VIN verification?

If JK did the cert process a '95 BCNR-33 very well could have passed- no OBDII but with SRS airbag. 1995 are substantially similar to 1996-1998 for NHTSA cert, and EPA only mandates post-1995 for OBDII.

Food for thought.
Do you have any proof of this?

I've studied NHTSA Dockett 2005-22654 very carefully and it states specifically it only applies to cars manufactured after 01/1996 and before June 1998, did later revisions of the VCP-32 have different language?

Not intended to be an argument starter, I'm actually trying to find all relevant factual information so any new info would be fantastic since it's hard to sort through the B.S.

I understand there are a few different versions of the Docketts relating to VCP-32 out there and I'm guessing at some point it included ALL R33 models and was later revised to only 01-1996? More research needed on my part.

User avatar
GTRPower
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:48 am

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby GTRPower » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:44 pm

volition wrote: Do you have any proof of this?

I've studied NHTSA Dockett 2005-22654 very carefully and it states specifically it only applies to cars manufactured after 01/1996 and before June 1998, did later revisions of the VCP-32 have different language?

Not intended to be an argument starter, I'm actually trying to find all relevant factual information so any new info would be fantastic since it's hard to sort through the B.S.

I understand there are a few different versions of the Docketts relating to VCP-32 out there and I'm guessing at some point it included ALL R33 models and was later revised to only 01-1996? More research needed on my part.
What kind of proof? Just call up Coleman Sachs at NHTSA and get the info direct on the legality of this particular chassis. After all, it's his name on the bond release letter!

What factual information do you need? Any question you may have can be sent to Sean Morris. He'll have every answer for you. As for the dockett, it may say one thing, but in reality there is always some leeway if you can prove substantially similar. In this car- 1995 GT-R vs 1996 GT-R, both with airbags, I think same model designation with same safety features would be good enough- but burden of proof is upon the petitioner, so he/she must supply all the information to NHTSA and may be required to submit follow up info. For EPA it is a benefit- no OBDII on the 1995 so no need to engineer the system. In the end, it could be simply that a 1995 car slipped through the approval process. NHTSA is manned by humans- humans are not infallible. Case in point, there is no such thing as a 1999 "Skyline GTR R34 V-SPEC Early Model 1999 Limited Edition" yet they list such a vehicle in error on their Show/Display list- someone just petitioned NHTSA for that vehicle to be approved, and they allowed it without really doing any due diligence.

volition
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm
Car: z32

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby volition » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:57 pm

As they say, "if it's not in writing"

What I have churned up states to the contrary. The document NHTSA-2005-22654-0037 goes into extensive detail regarding the decision by the NHTSA.

Basically only 01-1996 and models are eligible because they were the only ones certified by Nissan to include dual front air bags as standard equipment. As the original MotorEx crash data was performed using this model, the NHTSA therefore concluded that only 01/1996 through 1998 R33 models are "significantly similar".

I don't doubt there are some that slip through the cracks, but for the purpose of what I'm doing I need to be reasonably sure I can get non-OBD models through bond release to make the investment worthwhile. This guys word of mouth wouldn't protect me in court if I were to bring some 1995 models in for sale and the feds threw a fit.

On topic, I'd be shocked if these guys were actually a listed RI with the amount of grey-market S15's they sell.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:54 pm

They aren't on the list of RI's(September 2011), but looking at the port code on the document it shows 1303 which is Baltimore. In Balitmore there are two places with ties to Motorex and original importation. JK and US Specs.

The car is a 1995, just going off the chassis number. Supposedly the NHTSA has a chassis list, so not sure how this one could have slipped though, but not saying that nothing never did.

Anyone call 202 366 5291 to check up on the chassis number?

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 70579
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 97 D21, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby AZhitman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Nope, but it'd be nice if NHTSA was made aware of the [suspected] forgery.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:48 pm

http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/19189 ... -sale.html

First registration (year/month) 1995 / 05
Grade GT-R
Engine type RB26
Transmission Manual
Fuel Petrol
Capacity 4 passengers
Color white
Chassis No: BCNR33-006147
Mileage 121000 km

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Getting ready to bring this back with some new info? I have seen some. Interesting. Shady. More forged documents.

User avatar
AZhitman
Administrator
Posts: 70579
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:04 am
Car: 72 240Z RB25, 63 Bluebird RHD, 63 NL320, 67 WRL411, 67 SPL311, 68 510 SR, 77 620 SR20, 89 Pao, 97 D21, 98 S14, 11 LS460L, 12 Titan 4x4.
Location: Surprise, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby AZhitman » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:35 pm

Yep - Time to kick it up a notch.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:10 pm

So it looks like they take this stamp, maybe they made it themselves, its pretty basic, stamp it on any piece of paper they get, and they are good.

Region X
Motor Vehicle Field Operations, Region X
7795 West Flagler Street Suite 82C
Miami, Florida 33144
Telephone = (305) 265-3003
FAX = (305) 265-3060
Responsible for Dade and Monroe Counties

Image

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/BUR_Field_Ops_Address.pdf

I see two addresses listed for them on these two forms

2568 SW 117 Way
Miramar, Florida 33025
Broward County
http://goo.gl/maps/MceqP

20871 Johnson St
Pembroke Pines, FL 33029
Broward County
http://goo.gl/maps/g51oT

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:18 am

http://vehicleimport.blogspot.com/2014/ ... -soho.html

These guys might think they are good. They probably think they have it all covered. Most people wouldn't look twice at these official looking documents, but they are forged.

I got these, along with a title from Florida on this 1995 Nissan Silvia S15

S15-015416
Listed as being manufactured in 8/1999.
Imported as a vehicle

Anyone that knows these cars, knows they were never imported to the US. On the HS7 form, SOHO Imports filled out box 2A.
Image

Not true. A S15 doesn't have a certification label. It was never certified for the US. This is a forged document.

Still looking further at this document and matching it up to the EPA document - the 3520-1. Notice the entry date and the entry number. 3/15/13. Customs entry number - 7881048462 Customs Entry Port - 1803 Jacksonville. Then on the document is a stamp from the Florida DMV. No US Customs Entry stamp to be found anywhere. Why is there no entry stamp? Why is there are DMV stamp?

Forged EPA document from SOHO for the same 1999 Nissan Silvia S15. S15-015416. Imported as a vehicle. Notice the entry date 3/11/13. Notice the customs entry number 7781048484 Notice the port code 1803. The document is filled in as code B, a US vehicle with a US emissions label. We know an S15 does not have this label, and it is not a legal car. Same DMV stamp from Region X in Florida.

Image

More shady importers based in Florida, doing shady things. Like some other guy now in Florida that had his illegally imported R33 seized and is now trying to import 25 year old cars. Seems like you can't trust anything with a Florida title. If it came in though Florida, you are going to want to check EVERYTHING very carefully before you purchase. Remember if they come to seize a car, doesn't matter if you did nothing wrong, you lose the car. Don't be the one holding the hot potato

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:19 am

Now I just showed these idiots how to at least get their numbers right.

VandrelSOUSA
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby VandrelSOUSA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:43 am

tyndago wrote: More shady importers based in Florida, doing shady things. Like some other guy now in Florida that had his illegally imported R33 seized and is now trying to import 25 year old cars. Seems like you can't trust anything with a Florida title. If it came in though Florida, you are going to want to check EVERYTHING very carefully before you purchase. Remember if they come to seize a car, doesn't matter if you did nothing wrong, you lose the car. Don't be the one holding the hot potato
I'd rather buy a car from an honest military vet running an honest business then someone who calls ICE to rat out people who own Skylines in the U.S. because they didn't want to listen this his big mouth while he stomped his feet and threw a fit.

Let's not forget who worked for the shady a** importer MotoRex that screwed everything up for the rest of us 10 years ago. But of course, you left MotoRex before illegal stuff happened. I'm still glad to this day that I didn't send you guys my car when I was stationed in Okinawa, I emailed/called you guys a dozen times and almost sent a 95 BCNR33 over to you. Disaster avoided with that one.

Greg, sorry to fuel the fire on your forum here, I know you'd rather run a drama-free ship here but Sean can't seem to help himself from throwing low blows to market competitors.

Yes, the entire internet knows I had my Skyline seized. No secret there. Newsflash, I didn't import it, someone else did. I was an active duty Marine weeks away from deploying to Iraq in 2008 when I bought that car (which had been in the country since 2004), I started SOUSA while on deployment happier then hell that I had a R33. Only did I found out later down the road that I got shafted into a shady car (like nearly everyone else), but I didn't let that get me down. Sure the government took the car, all my hard earned deployment money went into that car and it went *poof*. I didn't stomp my feet or throw a fit, I used my time and experience as an owner to help others and inform the community. I suppose in the eyes of Sean Morris though that is being shady and doesn't allow THIS vet the opportunity to start a business and help the community even more. Excuse the hell out of me.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:45 am

Six years. US Navy 1991-1997.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:48 am

You think I called ICE? You are delusional. I tried nothing else but to try and help you guys. I tried my best to help the Kaizo guys. I went to all the meetings with the lawyers. Spent countless hours on the phone with people. I was in on the conference call

I gave you advice on what to do. However you are too much of an idiot to listen to reason. Still one. Always be one. Just another shady a** dude in Florida.

VandrelSOUSA
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby VandrelSOUSA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:18 am

tyndago wrote:You think I called ICE? You are delusional. I tried nothing else but to try and help you guys. I tried my best to help the Kaizo guys. I went to all the meetings with the lawyers. Spent countless hours on the phone with people. I was in on the conference call

I gave you advice on what to do. However you are too much of an idiot to listen to reason. Still one. Always be one. Just another shady a** dude in Florida.

And your big advice to a prior service Marine with a government job and security clearance was to move my car and lie to ICE agents. Words of wisdom I tell ya.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 am

Steve,

You haven't thanked me for #280 yet. When should I expect my card?

Image

You couldn't do anything without me, except duck things up.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:25 am

VandrelSOUSA wrote:
tyndago wrote:You think I called ICE? You are delusional. I tried nothing else but to try and help you guys. I tried my best to help the Kaizo guys. I went to all the meetings with the lawyers. Spent countless hours on the phone with people. I was in on the conference call

I gave you advice on what to do. However you are too much of an idiot to listen to reason. Still one. Always be one. Just another shady a** dude in Florida.

And your big advice to a prior service Marine with a government job and security clearance was to move my car and lie to ICE agents. Words of wisdom I tell ya.
So instead of loaning the car to a friend, you take a car that the ICE agents knew was a complete car, and took it apart?

You think that is the lesser of two evils. Like I said, once an idiot, always an idiot. You will bury yourself. I see it coming.

How come you always lead with the military/veteran thing? Is it the ONLY damn thing you have to stand on? I am a veteran too, like I said above. However my accomplishments with the Nissan Skyline GT-R far excel someone that purchases an illegal car and manages to get it seized.

VandrelSOUSA
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby VandrelSOUSA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:28 am

tyndago wrote:Steve,

You haven't thanked me for #280 yet. When should I expect my card?

Image

You couldn't do anything without me, except duck things up.
Why would I thank you?

You emailed pieces of paper to a government office and got a reply with an approval. It's not hard to follow simple instructions.

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 am

VandrelSOUSA wrote:
tyndago wrote:Steve,

You haven't thanked me for #280 yet. When should I expect my card?

Image

You couldn't do anything without me, except duck things up.
Why would I thank you?

You emailed pieces of paper to a government office and got a reply with an approval. It's not hard to follow simple instructions.
It isn't hard. Glad to see you did it. Oh. You didn't. You can't follow simple instructions? Is that what I am getting out of this.

Like I said, Florida. Shady. I see where you at.

VandrelSOUSA
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby VandrelSOUSA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 am

tyndago wrote: So instead of loaning the car to a friend, you take a car that the ICE agents knew was a complete car, and took it apart?
Again, you wanted me to lie to federal agents? Because that wouldn't in any way bring my personal integrity and professional line of work into jeopardy at all right? Did you not learn anything while in the Navy Sean?

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:36 am

VandrelSOUSA wrote:
tyndago wrote: So instead of loaning the car to a friend, you take a car that the ICE agents knew was a complete car, and took it apart?
Again, you wanted me to lie to federal agents? Because that wouldn't in any way bring my personal integrity and professional line of work into jeopardy at all right? Did you not learn anything while in the Navy Sean?
So you steal parts off seized property? You knew they were coming back, so you take a complete car apart ? Again idiot. You aren't the brighest tool in the henhouse.

VandrelSOUSA
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:19 pm

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby VandrelSOUSA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:39 am

tyndago wrote:
So you steal parts off seized property? You knew they were coming back, so you take a complete car apart Again idiot. You aren't the brighest tool in the henhouse.
You do realize a car isn't seized until they issue the warrant right?

User avatar
tyndago
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:39 am
Contact:

Re: Yet another shady importer: Soho Imports

Postby tyndago » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:47 am

VandrelSOUSA wrote:
tyndago wrote:
So you steal parts off seized property? You knew they were coming back, so you take a complete car apart Again idiot. You aren't the brighest tool in the henhouse.
You do realize a car isn't seized until they issue the warrant right?
You said, they told you they were going to seize it. You were about crying asking for advice. Its ok. I will always try and help you little Stevie, but if you don't listen, then you get the short end of the stick.


Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”