Why is the SCCA a bunch of *****'s?

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
GripR
Car: 92 miata

I was talking to Nismo_Freak online about a certain car product, then we got into talking about road racing. I mentioned the SCCA and starts saying that SCCA is for *****'s and that NASA and HPDE or whatever is better ... (I guess because of it's limitations to what you can do to a car). The conversation was short because he said what he had to say and logged off quickly. I thought maybe his connection got disconnected real quick. Waited about 5 mins to see if he'd come back online and discuss some more but he didn't. Which to me is F'd up. To me growing as a driver is important. I like auto x'ing because it gets very technical and with that helps me out a lot on the road race tracks. To him driving a faster car will make you a faster driver.

sorry for the rant... but can you guys also tell me why the SCCA is for *****'s?

Joe

alot of people just dont like the SCCA. and i dont mean autocross. i mean the entire organization. Im not a big fan of them because their organizational skills and people skills BLOW. id much rather run NASA.

and as for autocross vs track. im not a big fan of autocrossing for a couple reasons. seat time is WAY too minimal. i cant learn a course that fast. i use them for shakedowns on the car when i can but im not gonna bend over backwards to make an autocross. some people take it way too seriously. its driving around cones, in a parking lot.

GripR
Car: 92 miata

Kamin wrote:Im not a big fan of them because their organizational skills and people skills BLOW. id much rather run NASA.

and as for autocross vs track. im not a big fan of autocrossing for a couple reasons. seat time is WAY too minimal. i cant learn a course that fast.
Well I usually go to the San Diego region/division and everything is fine. Maybe the region you went to did a shotty job of organizing.

At the end of the day we have fun runs and run as many times as we want for $1 more per run.

You say you can't learn a course that fast... don't they let you walk around the course first before you drive? When they do that I always think of what I'm going to do, which line to take when to hit on the brakes and floor it... It builds up your reflexes, atleast it does for me.

I guess we're all different, I love road racing a lot more, but you see a lot of idiots out there that just don't know what they're doing.

Maybe I'll do some NASA events and see what you guys see.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Because they don't allow you to build a race car. Period. It's a diluted version of a street car even at that.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Kamin wrote:alot of people just dont like the SCCA. and i dont mean autocross. i mean the entire organization. Im not a big fan of them because their organizational skills and people skills BLOW. id much rather run NASA.

and as for autocross vs track. im not a big fan of autocrossing for a couple reasons. seat time is WAY too minimal. i cant learn a course that fast. i use them for shakedowns on the car when i can but im not gonna bend over backwards to make an autocross. some people take it way too seriously. its driving around cones, in a parking lot.
I agree with you about autocrossing, but for someone with very limited funds, it's a fun alternative.

I have friends that do all three: NASA, SCCA, and HPDE. The HPDE is ideal for learning a track, and fine tuning setups. But they all much prefer SCCA over NASA. While NASA seems less restrictive and less expensive, (which makes it atttractive) they all noted the likelihood of mishaps is much higher at NASA. A few called NASA events at Summit Point a demolition derby. If you don't mind getting "charcater marks" on your car, NASA might be a better deal, but if you want to keep your car pristine, do HPDE

I've settled down to mostly HPDE as I enjoy tossing cars around a track and specs are meaningless, plus the price is right for me...free. Though I do have a buddy who's been nudging me to go in with him on a spec miata.I've been thinking about it.

InsanityInc

Besides not letting you do anything, the courses are pretty lame. They're mainly just a bunch of turns whose only purpose is to test snap handling of a car, and doesn't emphasize proper suspension balance or even half the time allow you to take even a half decent line with the way they arrange the turns. Plus all the stupid restrictions (yeah, a header puts you in the same class as an aftermarket turbo kit, that makes sense.). And the general ****titude of the coordinators all combine it into one giant lameness.

Also, NASA isn't different from HPDE. HPDE are NASA sponsored events.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

InsanityInc wrote:Besides not letting you do anything, the courses are pretty lame. They're mainly just a bunch of turns whose only purpose is to test snap handling of a car, and doesn't emphasize proper suspension balance or even half the time allow you to take even a half decent line with the way they arrange the turns. Plus all the stupid restrictions (yeah, a header puts you in the same class as an aftermarket turbo kit, that makes sense.). And the general ****titude of the coordinators all combine it into one giant lameness.

Also, NASA isn't different from HPDE. HPDE are NASA sponsored events.
BZZZT! Untrue. The Audi Club offers HPDE's at most of the major race tracks. I'm doing the one at Summit Point in two weeks in a stock Nissan..

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Bubba1 wrote:
BZZZT! Untrue. The Audi Club offers HPDE's at most of the major race tracks. I'm doing the one at Summit Point in two weeks in a stock Nissan..
Check out this thread:zerothread?id=125221

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

new to the site and want do some road racing, autocross, anything fun! where can i get more info on these places,(nasa, hpde, scca) website or something?oh ya still haven't found a car yet, hopefully a 240 very soon, haven't had much luck finding a decent one, but i will never give up!in the meantime though i am doing research on where i can race, i live in milwaukee and i don't see much here, but definetely will travelthx in advance

Project S13
Car: Nissan 240SX Fastback

google search for scca, nasa, and hpde, they all have websites.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

mmm240 wrote:new to the site and want do some road racing, autocross, anything fun! where can i get more info on these places,(nasa, hpde, scca) website or something?oh ya still haven't found a car yet, hopefully a 240 very soon, haven't had much luck finding a decent one, but i will never give up!in the meantime though i am doing research on where i can race, i live in milwaukee and i don't see much here, but definetely will travelthx in advance
try this thread nd scroll down, it has a lot of good links you might find interesting. I'm active with the audi club, which is a national club and has a chapter in your region. Audi does mostly HPDE, but also some autocross events with other clubs. They don't require an Audi to participate. There are plenty of clubs that do this stuff....

http://www.audicarclubna.org

Here's the thread:zerothread?id=132642

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”