Wheel bearings 97 Pathfinder

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

What are some good brand front inner with race and outer wheel bearings for the 97 pathfinder? I heard Nissan uses Timken?

I have already ordered a Nissan seal for the inner bearings. As well as the seal for the drive flange.

And a good grease to go along with it. I bought the red valvoline high temp grease.

Im installing new rotors and pads, so figured I might as well put some new bearings in instead of just greasing the old ones. Been in there close to 25 years.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

NTN Corporation and NSK Ltd in Japan make bearings for Nissan. Timken has a great reputation for high quality made bearings but there is potential for a poor fit on some vehicles. For instance, Timken recommends the exact same front wheel bearings for your '97 as they do for my '02 but Nissan specifies different part numbers for our two Pathfinders. They can't both be right and as a recent NICOclub member posted just a few weeks ago, Timken recommended the exact same bearings for a '98 but they did not quite fit. wheel-bearing-race-install-problem-hub- ... 28793.html
In that instance, OEM bearings were ultimately purchased to replace the Timken bearings. When the time comes for me to replace my bearings, I may likely go with Timken because of the big cost savings over OEM but I'll be sure to do a dry fit onto my spindles first before pressing in new races so that I know whether or not Timken's one size fits many makes and models bearings actually work with my '02. If they don't, I'll just return them good as new and bite the bullet on the cost of OEM bearings instead.

A1218
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:28 pm
NTN Corporation and NSK Ltd in Japan make bearings for Nissan. Timken has a great reputation for high quality made bearings but there is potential for a poor fit on some vehicles. For instance, Timken recommends the exact same front wheel bearings for your '97 as they do for my '02 but Nissan specifies different part numbers for our two Pathfinders. They can't both be right and as a recent NICOclub member posted just a few weeks ago, Timken recommended the exact same bearings for a '98 but they did not quite fit. wheel-bearing-race-install-problem-hub- ... 28793.html
In that instance, OEM bearings were ultimately purchased to replace the Timken bearings. When the time comes for me to replace my bearings, I may likely go with Timken because of the big cost savings over OEM but I'll be sure to do a dry fit onto my spindles first before pressing in new races so that I know whether or not Timken's one size fits many makes and models bearings actually work with my '02. If they don't, I'll just return them good as new and bite the bullet on the cost of OEM bearings instead.
Yeah will definitely check them on the spindles first. But it looks like there was some other issues with that members install besides the bearing. I believe there was actually a video online for a 98 pathfinder installing the Timkens. Not doubting anyone at all, so will absolutely dry fit first.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”