Watch Movies on Navigation Screen while JX35 is moving!

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

Well, it was a success! I might possibly have the first and only Infiniti JX35 that displays movies on the front Navigation Screen while the vehicle is in motion!

It was actually a very easy modification. I have now done this same mod on a Murano, two different Armadas, my G37, and now my JX35. Again, you tap into the VSS wire and the Parking Brake wires at the back of the AV unit. Using a DPDT switch that is $4 from Radio Shack and 3' of 4 wires I ran the wires from the back of the AV unit (VSS to AV unit, VSS away from AV unit, Parking Brake to AV unit, and Parking Brake away from AV unit. The DPDT switch flips everything from a normal working "stock position" to a position where the VSS and Parking brake "trick" the AV unit into thinking it is grounded (and it technically is) by running the #5 and #6 position of the DPDT switch to a ground. Actually the hardest part of the whole modification was finding a good and convenient ground. The center cluster pops apart quite easily, and there are only 8 screws that get removed along the way.

You start by removing the rubber tray near the 12v outlet, the next piece is the black plastic "tray" as it is referred to. This pulls straight out at you. Next piece is the lower cluster finisher, this has the nice finish (either Kasani Washani.....LOL, whatever it is called, or Maple Accent). This pieces also pulls straight out at you. You now have the HVAC control panel as the next piece. You will see 2 screws, remove the 2 screws and this also pulls straight out at you (unplug the wire connector). Next is to remove the piece that has the DVD/CD slot on it. First remove the 2 exposed screws. Again, this pulls straight out at you (again, there is a wire connector you need to remove). Finally, you will see a total of 4 screws that secure the bracket that holds the AV unit. Remove the 4 screws. You are now able to pull out the AV unit, the wiring harness we are tapping into will be at your top left. This harness has 16 pin locations across it, and it is 2 rows high. Unplug this harness, this is the harness you will be tapping into. I will post the diagram from the FSM that shows the exact pin location, but if you unplug the harness, and you look straight at the wires facing you, on the top row going from the left, the first wire is Green, this is the Parking Brake wire. On the bottom row, again, going from the left, the 4th wire in is a Tan/Brown Color, this is the Parking Brake wire.

That is the short and skinny of this, please post any questions, I will be happy to reply. Also, you can see a similar thread in Armada/QX56 Forum that explains this all in detail, same things apply, just make sure you are tapping into the correct VSS wire and the correct Parking Brake wire.

This is such a great mod on the JX, cool thing is you can display movies with your iPhone providing you have the cable to plug it into the AUX jacks in your center console. The screen is so nice and big in the front too, GREAT for movies!!!

ENJOY!!!!

yosM45
Car: 2006 M45 Sport Twighlight Blue

Above you sag yo tap the VSS and the parking brake wire. Then below that you describe the two wires as the parking brake and the parking wire. Is the a mistake by chance?

You have that diagram to post?

Timmbo

It is the Parking Brake wire and the VSS wire that are going to the back of the AV unit. The only diagram that I have (which is all that is needed other than the page from the FSM showing which 2 wires they are) is the one I sketched showing which wire goes where to the DPDT switch in relation to the wires you connect to on the JX.

Timmbo

Not the best picture of the diagram, but it works!!!!

If anyone needs the Factory Service Manual pages that go with this, I do have them and I can e-mail them to anyone if needed.

Timmbo

Here is a link to the needed FSM sections.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/JX/2013/

Ualnosaj

Any pictures or details on how to remove the lower cluster finisher? The rubber holder was easy enough but I cannot tell if it's just the wood piece that pulls straight out or the plastic piece below it as well. Pics on removal or the clips holding it in would be great.

Timmbo

Did you look at the FSM? The lowest trim finisher is held in with clips, but I can't remember if you pull down or pull out towards you, but the FSM does show you.

Ualnosaj

Timmbo wrote:Did you look at the FSM? The lowest trim finisher is held in with clips, but I can't remember if you pull down or pull out towards you, but the FSM does show you.
I did, but there are text-only descriptions which aren't terribly helpful. The exploded view is very abstract :(

REMOVAL
1. Remove the front console mat.
2. Release front console tray clips using a suitable tool. <----- it would be good to know where the clips and look like in real life
[ IP-14 part 24 + 25 ]

CAUTION:
Apply protective tape around the suitable tool to protect components from damage.
3. Disconnect the harness connector from power socket, then remove front console tray.
4. Release the pawls using a suitable tool and remove cluster lid C lower.

Timmbo

I didn't need to use a tool, just use my hands. I am pretty certain you pull it straight out towards you. From there you pull the rest out by removing screws.

Ualnosaj

Where did you hold to pull straight out :) The wood piece is a face plate. Directly beneath the wood piece is a black piece of plastic which goes all the way back to the pocket. Did you separate the wood facia only or the whole darn thing? If it's the facia, then there is no way I can see you pulled it off with your hands unless you're a gecko haha.

I need to take a pic...

Timmbo

Black piece pulls straight down towards the ground. Sorry, forgot about that piece.

Ualnosaj

Timmbo wrote:Black piece pulls straight down towards the ground. Sorry, forgot about that piece.
Perfect, so it's a separate piece from the facia. Reset and try again tomorrow :) Thanks!

Timmbo

Good luck, post up any questions, the JX is the easiest vehicle I have done this on. I am doing a buddy's Murano this weekend, that one is pretty easy as well.

azgolfer
Car: Infiniti JX 35

New to the forum. Thanks for the info.

Timmbo

Let me know if you have any questions and I am happy to help!

Ualnosaj

I'm trying to see how much force is needed to remove that black plastic piece underneath the lower wood trim. Nothing I've wedged in there is working. I'm calling up a buddy that has a dash trim remover kit to see how we can get this going.

Image: http://img594.imageshack.us/i/imagezsty.jpg

Timmbo

It pulls straight down, it is held in place with clips. I was able to carefully work my finger in there and pull it down with decent force, I try to stay away from the tools because I don't want to permanently dent or distort the material. Maybe use a plastic putty knife.

SBCKNOX
Car: 2013 Pathfinder Platinum

Just joined and noticed you have FSM for JX35 but when I navigate to Pathfinder, there is nothing for 2013 ( my new baby ). Did a similar mod for FX35 but needed location for wires. Do you think JX35 is same since they are sisters ( or brothers ;0)

Timmbo

Happy holidays and welcome to the JX35 Forum! Glad to have you as a new member of NICOclub!

I am sure they are the same, I have done the mod on the pre 2011 QX56 and the Armada, and those were the same. I think you are all good, if anything jumps out at you though, I would abort mission, but my bet is you will be all good.

SBCKNOX

Thanks I'll let you know how it comes out.

Timmbo

You will be all good, enjoy and let me know if you have any questions!

SBCKNOX

FSM says to disconnect Battery. Did you do that? Also where did you run your switch?

Timmbo

I have NEVER disconnected the battery for this. I used zip ties to secure the switch and wires just under the right side of the dash, just to the left of the center console.

SBCKNOX

OK trying to sketch it out before I make the big plung

According to FSM pg AV-34 Pin 31 (G) is the Parking Brake Signal and Pin 32 (BG) is the VSS. This doesn't match up with your "first pin - 4th pin" or colors. Am I missing something or wrong diagram?
Thanks

Timmbo

Wrong page, page AV-181 thru AV AV-184

Pin 53 and Pin 70

SBCKNOX

You're the man. Thanks

mrbizzy

SBCKNOX wrote:You're the man. Thanks
Were you able to successfully make this mod for your 2013 Pathfinder? I attempted this mod this afternoon and once I got the plug off from the back of the radio, the connector was different than the connector for the JX. If you were successful, can you tell me which pin is for the VSS and which pin is for the e-brake for the 2013 Pathfinder?

Timmbo

Which model Pathy do you have? Platinum should be the same.

mrbizzy

Hey Timmbo,

Thanks for the quick response! I have the Platinum model with the Premium option which includes the headrest monitors. On the AV diagram on page 181, it shows that the plug should be a 32 pin plug but when I took mine out it was a 36-pin plug (18 on top and on the bottom). The radio is a Clarion with model # NAU-P8402USE/QX-3806N-A.

SBCKNOX

Sorry mrbizzy & Timmbo,

Haven't had a chance to try it yet but was having trouble matching diagram with plugs as well.
I also have Platinum with DVDs.

As a side note my iphone5 wont answer incoming calls over system. Nissan is aware of the bug and says when they have fix they will advise.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”