Nissan Versa budget foglight installation

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
BigBodyV
Car: Versa S

oh ok umm but hid's do fit on those fog lights correct?

barra
Car: Nissan Tiida S 1.8 t/a

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...t_940

Only 6 usd +15 usd shipping, if you buy the left and the right side i think you can combine shipping with the seller, it's a tip to everyone who want's to buy fogs.

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

There's a foglight that fits even better than those and look nearly factory besides the blue lense.

Pilot PL-2088B

But either way, these are cheap lights and it is correct that you might wanna go down to a 35 watt bulb as the reflector inside is small and cheap and will start to peel over time. These things are useless as far as light ouput. I put LED bulbs in mine and made them always-on running show lights as that's what LED replacement bulbs are intended for. It looks neat and my lights will never melt. And putting HIDs in lights this cheap is really stupid. It's like polishing a turd. Not only will you blind the hell out of everyone, the light output would still suck comared to a real foglight.

Versa_Mom
Car: 2007 Versa S ~ Metallic Blue

NODES wrote:What about L.E.D bulbs? That is if they make them for fog lights. Run cool and bright light
I found some LED one's on ebay, but they come from China. I only say that because it would take a long time to get here.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...37df3What do you guys think, better because of the low heat?I'm tempted to order some. If I did, should I just wait until after I get them to install them on the Versa? For ease of exchanging them, or is it pretty easy to go back and change the bulb later?
Modified by Versa_Mom at 5:37 PM 10/30/2009

BigBodyV

Yeah your looking from a week to two weeks. They alwasy take a long time to ship. Those anyone know were to get another witch im lookign for a mre oem siwtch i dont like the one that it come with.

williamk10
Car: '07 Versa SL

Just a couple of updates. I hope to have this side in and tested for beam angle today so I can get the other side done and in by tonight.

Amazing Goop is amazing.

Strongest single component adhesive.Bonds to metal, tile, plastic, porcelain, rubber.Seals with a flexible, waterproof hold.Connects PVC, ABS, and copper pipes.1.0 oz., 3.7 oz., 10.2 oz.

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

williamk10 wrote:Just a couple of updates. I hope to have this side in and tested for beam angle today so I can get the other side done and in by tonight.

Amazing Goop is amazing

Strongest single component adhesive.Bonds to metal, tile, plastic, porcelain, rubber.Seals with a flexible, waterproof hold.Connects PVC, ABS, and copper pipes.1.0 oz., 3.7 oz., 10.2 oz.
Christmas is around the corner

Versa_Mom

I went ahead and ordered a set of LED's to replace the bulbs that come in the fogs.They're coming from China, so it'll take a few weeks before I get them. US sellers wanted around $50, I got these for $6 shipped. I'm pretty sure even the ones sold here are made in China. So I don't think one is better than the other.I hope they're as bright as the ones in the fogs.

williamk10

Finally done. For those who want to do this, when you need to thread thru the firewall, prepare to use every swear word you know. Lets get on with the pics:

The blue is a bit ricer but it does look different then other Versas with fogs. Adjusting the beam angle is near impossible because of the need to glue the fogs into place. It isn't off by that much so I don't mind.

All in all, i'm happy with this install. Didn't spend anything near what the OEM ones cost but was able to get that OEM look. I'll report back on their performance when we actually get some fog in Vancouver.

Versa357
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Sedan

Great job, Nice pics. That should help everyone out alot. Now if I can find a metal coat hanger. I think I might only have the plastic ones.

Jon-jon
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa Hatchback S

Really nice job william, and awesome pictures. thanks for the tip on popping out the empty switch panel next to the mirror controls.

NODES

yellow bulbs will give it that right on look in your case.

williamk10

Probably going to go with yellow lamin x film

anyone know where to get some?

BigBodyV

U can try ebay

barra
Car: Nissan Tiida S 1.8 t/a

ravel
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

nice job! I still have to get started on mines. Which fuse is for the fogs? The 7.5 or 10 amp one?
I want to get the yellow film too. But would the lights turn green when you put yellow film on the fogs that have a blueish tint?

BigBodyV

I doubt it cause it is blue but it generates white light.

williamk10

Use the 10 amp fuse. 7.5 will blow it.

Also, the Add a Circuit wiring can only handle 10 amps

I bought a sheet of 4x8 inch yellow Lamin X from the website. I'll but 3.5" circles and install it soon. The light is white but I like yellow for fogs. We'll see how it turns out.

As for the foglights themselves, been using them for the past few days with no problems. Only thing I noticed was at night when I have the HID's on, the car idle's dangerously close to 500 rpm. Any lower and the engine will stall. I suppose another accessory adds to the load and the engine needs to produce more electricity for it. I wonder would an Optima Red Top help. I had one before in a previous car and it improved everything from the lights to the stereo to the speed of the power windows

ravel
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

Did you put the add a circuit in the power socket slot? Is the 7.5 amp for the power socket?

Cant wait to see it with the yellow lamin x.

NODES

williamk10 wrote:Use the 10 amp fuse. 7.5 will blow it.

Also, the Add a Circuit wiring can only handle 10 amps

I bought a sheet of 4x8 inch yellow Lamin X from the website. I'll but 3.5" circles and install it soon. The light is white but I like yellow for fogs. We'll see how it turns out.

As for the foglights themselves, been using them for the past few days with no problems. Only thing I noticed was at night when I have the HID's on, the car idle's dangerously close to 500 rpm. Any lower and the engine will stall. I suppose another accessory adds to the load and the engine needs to produce more electricity for it. I wonder would an Optima Red Top help. I had one before in a previous car and it improved everything from the lights to the stereo to the speed of the power windows
I am not sure if the battery will make the difference but a high output alternator should.

BigBodyV

U can also try doing the BIG THREE for right now and see if that improves it:)

williamk10

What do you think?

I'm not sure if I like it or not. The Lamin X is high quality stuff, very thick. However, it would be nice if the yellow came thru better.

At least this will protect against rock chips

williamk10

BigBodyV wrote:U can also try doing the BIG THREE for right now and see if that improves it:)
Care to educate me on what the big three are?

Versa_Mom

Looks good Can't wait to get ours installed.

BTW; in case anyone is interested, I have the led bulbs for these Walmart fogs. I know some of you were concerned about the heat w/ the original bulbs.I ordered them from ebay, but as some may remember my hubby didn't want to install them and we bought the hid fogs kit.$10 for the H3 bulbs shipped, if anyone wants them.

NODES

williamk10 wrote:What do you think?
very well done

Wouldn't yellow bulbs be better though?

williamk10

The Lamin X was $12 shipped so it was cheaper than bulbs. And if I were to get name brand ones, it would have been considerably more expensive.

I'll get some day pictures over the weekend.

NODES

I will go yellow when one of my bulbs decides to crap out on me.

the silver with the yellow is a sweet match.

BigBodyV

Yeah the big three is when u reground ur battery cable ur engine block and then use 0 gauge to come from ur alternator to ur battery ill provide a picture later so u can see it:)

NODES

WilliamK - Do they have a green tinge to them with the Yellow and Blue mixing?

williamk10

no, they actually come out quite yellow

however, when you look at it with the lights turned off, there is a bit of pale blue colouring going on...as seen in the pic.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”