Nissan Versa budget foglight installation

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
williamk10
Car: '07 Versa SL

Since there seems to be some questions floating around about the Walmart foglights that fit the Versa, here are some pics. Thanks to Nodes for picking them up for me. Apparently they are only available in the US Walmart stores but has not been confirmed.

These are 55 watt H3 bulbs so they burn HOT. The glass lens will burn your hand if you touch it. I may downgrade to 35 watt bulbs, but I'm going yellow for sure.

Any questions, let me know.

dee_tymz_sl
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

OK that may explain it all. I have been to just about every Wal-Mart in my area looking for those fogs after Nodes posted that he got a set there. I could never find them and I felt like I've been wasting my time. I even checked another location yesterday and still nothing.

NODES
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL (Blue)

dee_tymz_sl wrote:OK that may explain it all. I have been to just about every Wal-Mart in my area looking for those fogs after Nodes posted that he got a set there. I could never find them and I felt like I've been wasting my time. I even checked another location yesterday and still nothing.
it is a hit and miss, I was after 2 sets but they only had one. I asked if they were getting anymore and they told me probably not. I am assuming they are being discontinued or the company folded in today's economy(have noticed alot of changes at walmart with their product selection)

Versa357
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa 1.6 Sedan

NODES wrote: I am assuming they are being discontinued or the company folded in today's economy(have noticed alot of changes at walmart with their product selection)
I guess I better get mine soon then. The store I go to has 2 or 3 sets left.

BigBodyV
Car: Versa S

So your going to explain how to install them step by step bro?

Versa_Mom
Car: 2007 Versa S ~ Metallic Blue

BigBodyV wrote:So your going to explain how to install them step by step bro?
he heI was thinking the same thing.

I'm also going to get that set of fogs before they run out.I only saw a couple there when I checked.

williamk10

I cut out the holes in the fog light covers. These lights are bigger than the opening so cutting them bigger was a pain. I have to go over them with a dremel tonight to smooth it out so i'll take some pictures of the process.

In the hole in the bumper, the foglight actually fits quite snug in there. However, you will see a gap between the foglight and the cover. I like it to look flush so I made the hole in the cover larger to fit the light. I will also use epoxy and gluethem together so the foglight and the cover will be one peice for that clean look.

Pics will come soon so you know what i'm talking about

williamk10

This is the way it is now. As you can see, the foglight fits snug right in the hole made for the OEM foglight. But it isn't flush against the foglight cover so I'm going to move it up and attach it to the cover.

My main concern is the 55 watt bulb. It gives off so much heat, it'll most definately melt the plastic cover. Either I get 35 watt bulbs, or HID lights as they equivilate to 35 watts of heat (correct me if i'm wrong) I'll have to put them on and see how the light pattern is.

Adjusting them once they're attached to the cover will be the biggest pain in the butt but i'll cross that bridge when I get there.

BigBodyV

It would be gladly appreciated by most of us here thnks in advance.

NODES

did you just ram them in there or used the mounting?

williamk10

I just rammed them in there. How would you use the mount? Every angle I tried, it would stick out too much

williamk10

Took out the Dremel tool. Smoothed the edges and test fitted the fog against the cover. I'll have to use epoxy to glue them together. However, before I do that, I'll have to test fit it on the car and adjust the beam angle. I think that is going to be the biggest pain in the butt.

On another note, anyone know of an easy passthru in the firewall? Need it for the harness.

ravel
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

I just picked up a set of these lights a couple of hours ago. Lets see if I can install them. haha

NODES

Wow OEM or what?

NODES

ravel wrote:I just picked up a set of these lights a couple of hours ago. Lets see if I can install them. haha
shesh I have to find me another set sooner then later.

NODES

williamk10 wrote:I just rammed them in there. How would you use the mount? Every angle I tried, it would stick out too much
Never tried so no idea. The epoxy is not a bad idea to me it felt messy. 35W bulbs would give off less light in theory?

NODES

williamk10 wrote:
This is the way it is now. As you can see, the foglight fits snug right in the hole made for the OEM foglight. But it isn't flush against the foglight cover so I'm going to move it up and attach it to the cover. My main concern is the 55 watt bulb. It gives off so much heat, it'll most definately melt the plastic cover. Either I get 35 watt bulbs, or HID lights as they equivilate to 35 watts of heat (correct me if i'm wrong) I'll have to put them on and see how the light pattern is. Adjusting them once they're attached to the cover will be the biggest pain in the butt but i'll cross that bridge when I get there
What about L.E.D bulbs? That is if they make them for fog lights. Run cool and bright light

ravel

the wal mart that i went to had 5 sets of them. How did you mount them? Did you have to drill holes?

NODES

ravel wrote:the wal mart that i went to had 5 sets of them. How did you mount them? Did you have to drill holes?
NO you can just shove them in it is a very very tight fit

3 Wal-mart's in Washington state and nothing....gone

ravel

ohh i guess ill see when i actually try. haha. I just got to find out how to get power to it.

NODES

ravel wrote:ohh i guess ill see when i actually try. haha. I just got to find out how to get power to it.
Do you have HID's?

ravel

No, I don't have hids. Just what ever is stock.

NODES

ravel wrote:No, I don't have hids. Just what ever is stock.
If you did then wiring the fogs would be like 10 minutes. I guess you will have to run wires through the firewall into the cabin and install your switch on the left side of the dash.

BigBodyV

Hey NODES how would you do it if you have hids? I have an idea, but im not sure it will work onces i get them.

ravel

So i read the tuturial section about after market fog lights. It showed an "add-a-fuse" thing for the power source. What amp fuse should be used for these fogs?

Versa_Mom

BigBodyV wrote:Hey NODES how would you do it if you have hids? I have an idea, but im not sure it will work onces i get them.
Here's how he did it:
NODES wrote:...All I did was take the black negative wire and ran it to the HID black wire and spliced it in and then red positive wire spliced into the HID red wire.

The minute I turn on the headlights the fog come on at the same time. Did not have to run any switches to my dash board or any other wires to the inside of the cabin....

BigBodyV

Oh i see thnks versa mom:)

Versa_Mom

BigBodyV wrote:Oh i see thnks versa mom:)
No problem. That's what we're here for, to help each other.I had already asked him that because that's how I want my husband to wire mine. ( I got them last night )Only problem is we're having issues w/ the HIDs on the projectors I hope we can get through that mess, so he can wire the fogs w/ HIDs.

BigBodyV

Oh ok are you putting hid on the fog lights? and i got mine today:) cant wait to install them:)

Versa_Mom

No, not yet.We're putting HIDs on the projector headlights.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”