VQ35DE maxima swap on s13

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
s13zo
Car: s13 240sx

I have a 1991 s13 hatch, i was thinking of what swap i should get that wasnt too expensive, i was thinking of getting a swap from a vq35de maxima, my dads friend owns a body shop and he goes to the insurance auction every week and can find me a crashed maxima with a vq35 for a real good price, what parts would i need to get to have a full swap, oh yeah btw are maximas FWD or RWD? if it were FWD how would i make it RWD?

gregfarz78
Car: 04 Honda S2000
97 Nissan Hardbody King Cab 4x4
09 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5L

Search around its been discussed and do lots of research, this isn't a cheap swap by any means

FAST-DATSUN

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

zer...240sx

Maxima's are FWD. You will need a kit to convert the motor to RWD. It's worth it though, sicne you can get those motors off ebay for around $250 and 350Z tranny's for like $600.

Go for it!

Orphan
Car: UZZ31 Soarer

Seeing as you said you were planning on getting it through insurance auctions I'm sure there would be some 350z's or G35's around you could get the engine and trans out of.

You'd be much better off getting a RWD engine to start as it already has RWD exhaust manifolds and is set up for RWD use. What simmode1 said is a very good point about the FWD engines being cheap so if you can get a RWD version for the same price or not that much more I'd be getting that over the FWD any day. I don't know the differences between the FWD and RWD versions but I imagine they would be minimal so its just as suitable for the swap it will just take a little more work.

Simmode1 does the FWD version share the same engine mount locations etc as the RWD version? I imagine they would all be the same block and heads with just a few minor changes on accessories and mount locations etc.

Its also worth nothing that in 2007 there was a version of the engine named the VQ35HR which produced more power and revs higher standard. It came in the 350z and G35 so if you can get your hands on one of those even better if you plan to keep it stockish and N/A.

simmode1

Orphan wrote:Simmode1 does the FWD version share the same engine mount locations etc as the RWD version? I imagine they would all be the same block and heads with just a few minor changes on accessories and mount locations etc.
All I know is that is works... lol

They probably have different mount configurations and locations, but ppl have been fabbing them up and converting FWD to RWD VQ's like crazy lately. Irax is building a complete kit to make the swap as easy as possible. I'm waiting on that (among other things.)

I was all gung ho about swapping in a VQ30DET until I actually looked on ebay for FWD VQ35DE prices. My mouth hit the floor. They're about the same price as a stock KA24DE, but with at least 120 more hp / torque and 50 lbs less weight. Plus ppl have figured out the NATS problem. It was retardedly simple.

Block and head are the same. But the accessories and their locations, and the intake manifold is different. The RWD intake manifold bolts right on, I think...

If you were gonna use a RWD VQ, I'd caution against using a HR. There's not much aftermarket for it. Its an almost completely different motor than the DE. At the most, I'd go for a VQ35DE Rev-up. But I'd rather get a FWD VQ35DE and eventually swap a Rev-up head onto it. Add some Cosworth goodies like their V2 Cams, valvesprings, retainers, dual intake manifold and call it a day. Should be good for 330hp+ at the crank and a redonkulous torque curve. Supercharge it later if you want. Easy 400hp.
Modified by simmode1 at 7:17 PM 8/9/2009

simmode1

Actually... My real dream would be to have something similiar to 110Octane's old Vader Vert setup. Could you imagine this with Cosworth cams, valvesprings and retainers?!

zerothread?id=377779

00MaxXxedOut
Car: 2kSE 5Spd

i seen alota kids on this site using the Q45 powerplant... chk into that

simmode1

00MaxXxedOut wrote:i seen alota kids on this site using the Q45 powerplant... chk into that
Umm... no thanks. That's heavy and bulky as hell. VQ wins by virtue of it's balance and aftermaket support.

irax
Car: VQ35DER Powered S14.3

feel free to join the discussion of vq everything at VQ666.com

lol...

well its not hard to convert a FWD block to fit RWD. Other than engine brackets and mounts you need upper oil pan, headers, water pipes, intake and exhaust. Contrary to what Simon1 said I would actually recommend going HR. Yes there isn't that much aftermarket support for it now but it is still a block that is continuing on. The DE and RevUp are going to continue to grow in knowledge base but out of the box the HR out performs both. But HR is more intricate electronic wise, and it will be a while before that ecu is cracked. If you can do it right without going full standalone, you can make some good power.

McKinney makes some good product and I met them a long time ago when Drift Circuit was still going on at Qualcom. Man those were the days. Instead of being the New Heavy Throttle, I'd much rather be the New McKinney MotorSports but this economy is rough and it is going to be tougher next year. You will see a lot of business go under so I would much rather start small and sell maybe 4 niche items and have a s*** tone of dropship stuff than invest into a lot of items that barely move. Honestly I was really hoping to see McKinney make the VQ kit for the M30 because I know Carlos and his M30 is way sick but he's going LS1 now.. f***er..

Modified by irax at 9:08 PM 10/19/2009

FAST-DATSUN

The M30 crossmember for the engine is the same as the 240SX so you can swap it with the 240SX and use our VQ swap kits for the RWD or the FWD. May have to make you a trans crossmember, but the 240 may work.......

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”