VQ30DET Head, Block and Internals pics?

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
Orphan
Car: UZZ31 Soarer

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any pics of a VQ30DET pulled down floating around? It would be good to see how they are built to determine the factory internals limitations.

I would also like to know if nissan went to a closed deck block for the VQ30DET as I can't remember any turbo nissan engines that didn't have a closed deck. I read that the VQ30DET runs 4psi standard in which case maybe nissan skimped and set the boost low as the cylinders may not hold up to high boost. I'm sure many of you have seen that 500hp R32 with a VQ30DET engine. From what i've heard its still going strong so if its not a closed deck its either very strong some how or it is teetering on the limits of death.

Does anyone on this forum read japanese? If so it would be great if you could trawl around for additional information and pictures relating to this engine as there seems to be very little information in english.

David

simmode1
Car: Red '95 S14

I find it so sad that info on the VQ30DET is so scarce. I want one so bad, but my pockets aren't deep enough to be a pioneer...

Some USDM Mr. Moneybags needs to do jump on this motor...

Orphan

I totally agree, for the price its a much better option to RB series engines as it seems to be a strong engine with the 3L capacity from the start compared to the 2.5/2.6 of the RB's not to mention it is substantially lighter and shorter. In Australia i've had a look around and its $1800-$2500 for a VQ30DET with everything which is in the area of a good condition RB25 from many wreckers.

There is a guy in Australia who is putting one in an R34 GTT and after he finishes the custom subframe he is suppose to be pulling the engine down for new pistons and i would imagine bearings etc so hopefully there will be some detail pictures soon. The only negative I can see so far is that I would guess its a open deck block but if for some reason nissan made it a closed deck block then you can't go wrong with it. There are pictuers of the engine in the car for mock up so hopefully this guy will come through. He apparently has taken a rod out and says they are impressive for factory and look to be = to or better than the RB26 rods which hold 500hp with relative ease but he hasn't posted pics so I don't know how true what he has said is. If that is true and the pistons are half decent could have another beefy little turbo engine.

I don't know if you guys have seen but there is a 500rwhp R32 sedan running a VQ30DET, completely stock internals running through a VG30 box, can't remember what turbo but its been run with up to 18-22psi and is still going. Its been down the strip quite a few times as well so that leads me to think that it is plenty strong for any normal project. I will post a link to the pics if the guy I spoke of puts some up.

simmode1

Yeah, I've seen that VQ30 R32. It's badass. You'll have more luck researching this motor at VQ30DET.com though, which is a shame for NICO. I envy the Austrailians who have known about this motor for years now. While the U.S. magazine industry brainwashed us into putzing around with the SR20 and RB motors like they were God's gift to s-chassis', we could have been using this motor, which is the best concievable swap candidate IMO.

When I started looking into this motor, alot ppl just said I should focus more on the VQ35, since it's more readily available here. This is true. I spoke to an importer and learned that I can have a VQ30DET imported for a great price. But Ebay has FWD VQ35's for as little as $250! That's almost too good to pass up, dispite having to convert it to RWD and the wiring challenges that motor comes with.

So I've been toying around with the idea in my head of running VQ's in both my 240's eventually. I'm hoping to use a FWD VQ35 in my S13 with some nice N/A bolt-ons and shoot for 330whp. And I'm hoping to put the VQ30DET into my s14 and shoot for 500hp like that R32. Just pipe dreaming right now, but two balanced VQ powered cars with 6spd trannys sure would be nice...

Orphan

It is the same here, everyone talks big about SR's RB's and 2JZ's but don't seem to bother giving a stuff about other engines out there. Considering all you'd really need is a custom exhaust manifold bigger turbo and injectors to get the VQ30DET to over 400rwhp it makes the other engines seem like a bit of a waste considering a full 2J can run as much as $6500 over here without the gear box, though you can get 1J's for under $1500. Good luck finding an affordable RB26 or SR20 in australia as well, for anything in half decent condition your looking at $2k or more for an SR out of pre s15 silvia's and $4k+ for an RB26 out of cars as old as 1992. $2k landed gets you a 3L turbo v6 thats very light and with new valve springs and retainers should safely rev to 7,800-8,000.

Yeah the VQ35's are more available and cheaper but you have to remember that the compression isn't all that good for forced induction and they seem to meet the limits at around 400hp. For a little more you can have a 9.0:1 CR high revving v6 with decent internals and has been proven to hold up to 500hp so running smaller numbers is even more reliable than the VQ35. I think the VQ30DET though costing more is the better buy as it comes with everything you need standard, just fab up a exhaust manifold and your away and for your S chassis guys isn't there already a VQ35 mounting kit for your cars? I would be surprised if the VQ30DET wasn't exactly the same mounting points etc just have to ditch the factory exhaust manifold.

I'm still in university so doing the research now and will put some cash into what I want to do once I make a real wage haha. My plan is a VQ30DET with a 2004 onwards 350z 6 speed in a FD3S RX7. FD's cost a LOT more over here than they seem to in the u.s. (i've seen rollers for as low as 2-3k in the u.s.) over here i'm looking at around $8k for a good condition roller which is unforunate but I might get lucky and get a series 7 or 8 for a bit more. 380-400hp with some good coiler overs and brakes and i'm happy. Sub 20k for a very good performing car without the negative issues assosiated with rotary engines. Even older FD's are still in the 16-22k range over here which is rediculous, its due to the import laws over here and people for some reason thinking that their 1992 pos with 300,000km's is worth at least similar money to a 2002 with 40,000 on it.

simmode1

Orphan wrote:
Yeah the VQ35's are more available and cheaper but you have to remember that the compression isn't all that good for forced induction and they seem to meet the limits at around 400hp. For a little more you can have a 9.0:1 CR high revving v6 with decent internals and has been proven to hold up to 500hp so running smaller numbers is even more reliable than the VQ35. I think the VQ30DET though costing more is the better buy as it comes with everything you need standard, just fab up a exhaust manifold and your away and for your S chassis guys isn't there already a VQ35 mounting kit for your cars? I would be surprised if the VQ30DET wasn't exactly the same mounting points etc just have to ditch the factory exhaust manifold.
Thats exactly why I'd stay N/A if I used a VQ35. Some Cosworth goodies or maybe some nitrous is the extent of what I'd do with that motor.

Right now, I'm following a build thread on VQ30DET.com where a guy is putting one in his USDM s14. To solve the exhaust manifold issue, it seems like he modified some cheap VQ35DE turbo manifolds. It's great that it looks like you won't need to start from scratch.

The VQ30DET idea into an FD is interesting. I'm not a fan of inter-brand swaps, but hey... whatever works.

Hey, where do you guys get valve springs and retainers for the VQ30DET? The only aftermerket stuff I've been able to find has been from Jun Auto...

Orphan

I think I have seen that thread, got some aftermarket relatively equal stainless steel headers and did a chop and weld? I think thats the route I would go for ease and cost unless I could get some equal length manifolds fabricated from steam pipe for a reasonable price.

I'm a big FD fan, they drive great but the rotary engine isn't really my thing so drop a piston engine in that is of similar weight and length and you keep most of the weight dist very similar to stock. I already know it fits perfectly as I've got pics of a nissan VH45 swap into an RX7 and it clears everything and its a larger engine than the VQ both in width and length. Overall the FD is everything I could want in a sports car so thats why I'm going for it as a base for the build. Take out the useless stuff like that rubbish sub and a few other things and you can get it down to 1250kg pretty easily making it pretty light. Not quite as light as you silvia boys but thats no big deal. FD's have a better co ef drag and overall better suspension which is why I ruled out using an S15. I can see keeping the car for a long time after its done, I can't imagine any car under the 60k+ price tag that would be near as much fun + 400rwhp at 1250kg puts it with a better power to weight ratio than an F430 ferrari, so it won't be slow. The hardest part will be learning to set the suspension up right for track days

The only place that I know of is JWT is suppose to offer a set, for some reason I remember the VQ30DET using different springs/retainers than the VQ35 but i'm not sure on that. I spoke to the guys that supplied the engine for that 500hp R32 in aus and their other VQ30DET car uses a set of springs and retainers supplied by JWT. I imagine those JUN springs and retainers aren't cheap either haha. I guess i'll get a set when I get around to doing a build and just put them in when I send the valve covers off to get coated. From memory the JWT set was under $340 aud so I guess thats around $250usd or less which makes it a pretty affordible mod to get some extra revs and worth it if your going to be redlining it often such as track use etc. The guys I spoke to about what springs they used said they have had two engines drop a valve when going to 8,000 stock even though the standard engines rev limit is 7,200-7,500.

simmode1

Orphan wrote:The only place that I know of is JWT is suppose to offer a set, for some reason I remember the VQ30DET using different springs/retainers than the VQ35 but i'm not sure on that. I spoke to the guys that supplied the engine for that 500hp R32 in aus and their other VQ30DET car uses a set of springs and retainers supplied by JWT. I imagine those JUN springs and retainers aren't cheap either haha. I guess i'll get a set when I get around to doing a build and just put them in when I send the valve covers off to get coated. From memory the JWT set was under $340 aud so I guess thats around $250usd or less which makes it a pretty affordible mod to get some extra revs and worth it if your going to be redlining it often such as track use etc. The guys I spoke to about what springs they used said they have had two engines drop a valve when going to 8,000 stock even though the standard engines rev limit is 7,200-7,500.
Thanks for that info. I've seen the JWT products, but they are labled as 'VQ30DE' parts. I wasn't sure if they would work in the DET or whether they were an OEM-type replacement or higher performing...

So, are you able to confirm that these are the valvesprings that VQ30DET users are using to rev to 8000?http://www.jimwolftechnology.c...ID=25

Side note, FD's are very sexy, but RX8's handle better...

Orphan

I can't comment on if those are THE springs but afaik the VQ30DE and DET have the same spec springs but I remember reading there was a difference between the 30 and 35 but that was on a forum so not sure how reliable that info is. I would just send JWT an e-mail they should know whats what, they seem to be into everything new and JDM. Failing that I can send an e-mail to the guy I was speaking to before and ask what the product number was.

Are you on vq30det.com? If so would you be able to get me a moderators e-mail as I signed up but never got a activation e-mail and can't sign up using my e-mail account as it is now 'already in use' haha.

I haven't driven an RX8 unfortunately, I should have back when a friend of mine worked for the mazda dealership but from everything I have seen they seem to be a great handling car just substantially underpowered with no real modding potential. I've sat in an RX8 before but never driven Interior felt a tiny bit small and I didn't like the handbrake but besides that seemed pretty decent. Good luck getting an RX8 roller or a car cheap enough to do an engine transplant on :P The early ones are definately affordable in the mid 20's over here. For some reason your average $30k car in america costs $50k over here Not to mention the FD is more suited to engine swaps due to having more engine bay space behind the wheels so you can sit the engine back further and get better weight dist.

Should be able to pick up a good condition FD roller for 12k or less leaving me 8k or more for the engine trans turbo etc etc so should be around enough to finish the project less brakes. I guess it depends if I track the car often enough to warrant spending big on a set of brakes, over here at least there aren't any new brake kits i'd touch for less than $3500 and can easily get to a LOT more. After speaking to a few FD owners the standard brakes seem to be fine up to around 350-380rwhp but anymore is pushing it. I've priced up a project mu 6 pot front with 380mm x 32mm discs and 2 pot rears with 315mm x 32mm discs and braided lines + 2 sets of pads for the FD, I won't mention how much the full kit costs, its alot

Everything seems a lot cheaper over in the u.s. even with the exchange rate, have you delt with brakes much? I guess it would be worth me looking around to see whats on offer there and see if its worth the shipping costs.

simmode1

I'm not on VQ30det.com... I just steal all my info from them... lol. I'm gonna sign up there, I've just been lazy.

If you get a chance to test drive an RX8... do it! It will be a revelation to you. I didn't like the E-brake placement either, but I don't drift so I didn't care much. The clutch pedal was a little soft for my liking, but hey... it's OEM. It has very little low end power, but you just learn to keep it in the upper rev range where it likes to be. It redlines at 9000rpm stock. There is a guy on Zilvia.net swapping an SR20 into one. It's an ungodly amount of work but it'll be beastly when done...

I haven't done alot of brake work... but my power goals aren't very lofty. OEM brake swap should take care of me just fine. I plan a thorough Z32 brake upgrade for my s13 since I don't plan to make over 350hp. For my s14, I'm shooting for 450hp+, so I hope that an OEM Brembo kit from a Z/G, Evo or STI will cover that base.

But since you mentioned another platform you'd like the jump onto, I've been considering getting an SW20 and swapping in a 2GR-FE motor. The newer MR-S chassis is lighter and better handling, but the T-Top MR-2 is just sooo pimp and I want one... I was gonna sell my s13 to finance that, but I'd rather have 2 VQ powered cars instead, one N/A and one turbo. Maybe I can do the Toyota thing later in life or suggest it to someone else and live vicariously through them... lol
Modified by simmode1 at 4:41 PM 7/21/2009

Orphan

In aus the handbrake is placed in the right position but I didn't like the enclosed grip with a knuckle guard or whatever its suppose to be. From what I've seen most JDM cars keep the handbrake in the same place regardless of left or right hand drive. I love the handbrake placement in my soarer, they couldn't get it any more perfect. Check the link below, its a FC race car a guy I use to work with built. Full tube chassis with a crazy little 20B, I think he used the RX8 rotors as they are lighter and give a higher compression ratio. Last I spoke to his son it was putting down around 410hp and weighs 900kg with driver. His son has a 450rwhp+ FC so you can tell they like their rotaries though I was surprised how low stock FC's redline compared to FD/RX8.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qPlvCKwaBU

OEM Brembo's are always a pretty good option the only challenge is making new brackets for them but it really doesn't take much ability to make new ones just gotta make sure you make them tough enough don't want one sheering when your about to go into a corner haha. That said are skyline brakes interchangable with silvia brakes? Could always grab a set off an R33 GTR for a reasonable price or maybe an R34 GTR though they are less common over in the u.s. from what i've seen. Any kid and his dog can afford one in Aus these days, can import a nice shiney relatively low KM V spec 2 for 55k aud which is less than buying a top end locally produced vehicle that looses 90% of its value in 4 years lol. Go general motors woo.

I remember seeing a SW20 V8 conversion ages ago, far out that was a crazy amount of work, custom everything and had to cut the body and chassis apart and rebuild them around the engine. I imagine fitting a v6 would be a bit easier though? A guy who graduated the year after me from school got an SW20, will have to take it for a drive next time im down south to see what they are like.

Unfortunately in my previous city of residence all people did was put horribly large shiney rims and big subs in their car which ruined most of the potentially nice JDM cars. Worst was a bright orange FD with the cheapest Ebay kit ever and 21" chromies. The paint job was terrible and whenever he opened his door you could see the factory red paint on the door sill lol, heaps of nasty jobs like that going around Australia. "It gets the chicks bro" *in bogan accent*.

simmode1

I've seen Silvia to Skyline brake conversions here on Nico. But I'd probably try to source calipers that I don't need to have imported.

I saw a V8 aw11... I don't like pointlessly difficult projects. The Toyota v6's weigh about the same as the 3s-gte and their new wonder motor, the 2gr-fe makes 275hp on 93 octane in an MR2. The swap looks easier than a VQ35 swap to be honest, but the VQ bug has bitten me bad...

I want a FWD VQ35DE with Revup heads, cosworth V2 cams, valvesprings and retainers and Extrudabody ITB's for my s13. I've heard the Cosworth parts can allow it to rev close to 10k rpm. Not sure how true this is.

For my s14, I want a VQ30DET with Jun valvesprings and retainers and a GT30 or similar turbo.I am soooo dreaming here...

Orphan

Yeah projects like that are crazy hard I would stay away from them purely cause if you don't finish them you have a bunch of chopped up crap worth nothing.

Is there a v6 swap kit for the MR2's? Always a good starting point if your happy with the engine its for.

I remember seeing a Cosworth VQ35 somewhere on the net, definately had aftermarket rods in it, I don't like the odds of the standard rods and bolts dealing with 10,000. It was a test engine for their line of parts from memory it was making 380-390hp revving to 9,000. Seems 280-300rwhp out of a VQ35 N/A is very achievable for not that much cash, would be a fun motor in a light car.

Go the turbo engine in the s14 much more worthwhile, N/A is a huge waste unless its for a reason or you have too much money. I have been looking into how well matched a GT35/40 would be on a VQ30DET, there is a big following of RB30 bottom end RB25/26 heads in aus as you can get a complete RB30 for less than $300 and the block is no heavier than the standard blocks so if your building and engine its basically free extra capacity. A great portion of them are using GT35/40's with very nice torque curves showing on the dyno sheets and all making very nice power out of them.

On a random note was on my way home a while ago and waiting at an intersection spotting a Lambo Gallardo Spyder, he hammered it through the intersection far out that v10 sounds crazy mean.

simmode1

I was talking to a buddy of mine who is considering putting an rb26 in this hatch and I showed him Ameen's VQ30DET build thread instead. After looking it over he mentioned two things:

-Like RB swaps, having a working AC will be prohibitively difficult.-Having the turbo infront of his motor will cause massive problems with heatsoak to the radiator on motor.

I wonder how Ameen will deal with this things... I should make an account over at Vq30det.com and ask him...

xxtokesxx
Car: I have a couple...

The most hilarious thing about this is I was actually searching on optional turbine housings to use for my holset and I found this thread

simmode1

xxtokesxx wrote:The most hilarious thing about this is I was actually searching on optional turbine housings to use for my holset and I found this thread
Awesome! Mind copying your build thread in 240 General? I'm sure many ppl will be interested and have questions...zeroforum?id=44

And if there's anything you'd like to contribute to this thread, plz feel free! zerothread?id=426629

Orphan

The lines for the A/C are easy enough but I have no idea regarding the electronics side of it, the A/C pump can only really run at the speed of the pulley which would lead me to believe that there is a simple on/off signal sent by the climate control unit.

As long as you have decent distance between the turbo and radiator I wouldn't think heat soak should be much of an issue while driving though stationary could be a problem. Can always ceramic coat the exhaust housing and manifolds + exhaust wrap and a turbo bag. Unless you mount twins facing forward with the compressor housings sticking out infront of the engine I see the front mounted single to be the best option, you get less heat build up around the turbo and you don't have air intake and charge piping sitting in a very hot environment.

I've seen a few FWD turbo jobs that have had the turbo as close as 3-4" from the radiator which I think is too close but they still seem to be fine as long as they are moving so if you have more room than that by any substantial amount I think it should be fine and if it does become an issue there are plenty of heat shielding choices avail to fix that problem.

I'm waiting to hear back from a guy who is putting a VQ30DET into his 260z, last I spoke to him the engine was in and mounts fabricated, he was working on the intake plenum and piping. Imagine how crazy that thing will be, awesome weight dist, in a 260z the entire engine sits behind the centreline of the strut towers with heaps of room for a v mount intercooler so you can keep response up as well. The car is around 1,100kg standard and the VQ is lighter than the standard engine so it should fly.

simmode1

Thats good to hear. I was reconsidering going KA-T for a second there, but now I think that staying the course with the VQ30 would most definently be worth it.

gadget1382
Car: 2x S12 Gazelle, 1. CA18det daily 2. Building VQ30det+t track car

G'day guys.

I'm on VQ30det.com and the crazy guy putting one into an S12.

I'm not a moderator but try n put up as much clear info as i can. The gearbox info i found rather helpfull, but will mean my selection i may have to start the car in second gear :p

Would like more info on them and wish i understood Japanese! That's for sure!

simmode1

^^^ Plz post a build thread if you can...

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”