vg30dett swap in to d21

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
turbod21
Car: 89 nissan D 4x4

okay rookie at the site i have an 89 nissan d21 4x4 with a vg30 tbi intake looking to go twin turbo and 2 wheel drive with long travel biggest project iv done yet looking for any insite on the topic. did i get in to.

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

That's a w-i-d-e motor.

turbod21

I know its a wide motor but iv seen it in a 510 not sure of the mods done to it but it look clean when it was done im not afraid to mod any thing iv dedicated the truck to the prodject so ta beside im looking at four linking the rear end so it going to go under some mager mods as it is.

Long travel trubo d21

seang

The steering shaft is my biggest worry. I've seen a HB with a setup exactly like you are talking about, with the IRS and VG30DETT, but the twin turbos were swapped out for one bigger turbo. That thread is on here somwhere...I remember the steering shaft having some crazy angle, but the builder/owner said it worked fine.

Found it! It's actually a VQ engine, but still very similar to your idea. zer...dbody
Modified by seang at 7:47 PM 11/29/2009

turbod21

I know what your saying about the stearing shaft i know someone with a blown twin turbo when doing the over lookover it seams to be tight but posible the big question am i better off going single turbo and just building the motor while its out but at the same time i have yet to see the twin in one i saw that one with sr20 it looked dame good but he also did a tone of body work so i really think all i want to see out of this is an off road truck that will hold its own on the strrets.

seang

Turbo dynamics are beyond me.

turbod21

ya me too for the most part all though im learning the motor turned out clean so im thinking it is my swap can be done but i may need to do some frame mods cause the vg is deffently woder then that vq but it should be able to be done

hears the big question should i do a complet suppention mod to some thing elss or should just swaping to coil over work ok?

seang

I have no idea. I know that long travel coilovers are the s*** in Baja, but as far as re-engineering the stock suspension goes, IDK.

turbod21

ya i for sure i found a built coil over kit for like 4000 at about a 3in lift as well the travil ranged from like 18 to 22 inch i think it deffently was a big number have you ever herd of anyone doing A SUPPER CHARGED turbo vq or vg

seang

A Supercharged VG already came stock. It's called a VG33ER.

darinz
Car: Nissan Patrol

I'm in the process of fitting a twin turbo VH45 into a D21. I have cut a big hole in the firewall and cut out the tunnel. Also will be shifting the steering colum accross to clear the engine. With the VH the corner of the cam cover will just hit where the column passes through the fire wall. I have it so the firewall will be moved back about 100mm.I looked really hard at a VG30DETT but for the same amount of work I can fit a VH45 so that made up my mind. That and my old truck had a turboed VH45 that I kept!I'm fitting a solid axle with modified Patrol radius arms and 18" coil overs in the front and they will be mounted just at the bonnet height (covered). I'm keeping 4x4 as it will be a go fast version but also need to do general (hard core) 4x4 as well.To do what I'm doing doesn't require any mods to the factory chassis rails. I have cut everything to do with IFS and engine mounts, crossmembers etc off in front of the firewall though.

seang

Dj Hentai
Car: 95 Nissan Hardbody

The steering shaft will barely clear with the turbos in the stock location if you get the engine in just the right spot. The engine will have to have a 4* rearward rake, that helps too and doesn't affect performance at all.

Only issues I have at the moment are the throttle cable (I may have to change where it comes thru the firewall.) and the brake booster (Contacts part of the manifold, but can be dented in a little or replaced with a 240SX booster & master cylinder which are a little bit smaller.)

You'll have to cut out the stock engine mount points, notch the frame where the shock mounts go about 2" in on each side (VG30DETT is 28" wide, your frame is 24".) and modify the Z engine mounts. You'll also need to notch the driver's side crossmember mount under the engine for oil pan clearance.

Check the pics in the link above, that's my truck.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”