2016 Versa SV MPG

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
2016 Versa
Car: 2016 Nissan Versa SV

I just filled up the tank again and figured the mileage on my first full tank of gas in this car. I'd driven 408.8 miles and it took 9.654 gallons to fill the tank giving me 42.345 mpg. The on board computer is quite optimistic saying I was getting 46.8 mpg more than 10% above actual mileage. Most of the driving on this tank was 45-55 mph on rural 2 lane roads, 4 lane, and maybe 30 miles in a small town with a few traffic lights. I checked the owners manual and the information isn't in it, does anyone know how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on?

2016 Versa

The second tank did even better than the first 488.8 miles on 10.621 gallons for an average mileage on this tank of 46.003 MPG. This tank consisted of more highway driving which helps mileage, less cold weather and less wet roads which hurt mileage. I usually get my best mileage during hot summer weather so I'm looking forward to seeing what this car will do when the temperatures reach 85*+.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

2016 Versa wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:30 am
...does anyone know how much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on?
Short answer: Between one and two gallons. Due to various factors, it will not be an exact amount. Even if you knew how much is left, how far you can travel on that will also vary. You may be able to go another 50 miles, or only 30. You should never let the fuel gauge go below the 1/4 mark. Also, I would not rely 100% on the fuel gauge as your mpg averages have a lot to do with the terrain being driven (hills versus flat terrain etc.).

There was a discussion about this in the Rogue Forum:
Miles to empty disappears under 15? And how much gas in reserve?

2016 Versa

I normally buy gas at around a 1/4 tank left. Last night it was down to about and 1/8 of a tank because we'd gone out of town for the afternoon yesterday. I noticed gas prices were about 13c a gallon higher where we were than if I waited until I got back home. I was just curious whether anyone knew how much gas was still in the tank when the low fuel light came on just in case I ever got caught in an unexpected condition. Yesterday the low fuel light came on when the gauge hit 2 bars maybe 10 miles before getting back to my home town. Usually after I've driven a car for awhile I have a pretty good idea what kind of mileage to expect from it within 2-3MPG so knowing about how much gas is left in the tank when the light comes on gives me a pretty good idea of how many more miles a can travel if need be. I'd never go by the onboard computer, both tanks I've ran through this car it has been very optimistic. The first time it said i was getting 46.8 MPG and actual mileage was 42.3. Last night the computer said 49.9 MPG and it actually got 46. I check mileage on every tank doing the math that way if it suddenly drops drastically I know there's a problem and I can start trying to find out what's going on.

The owners manual in my other cars say they have approximately 2 gallons left when the light comes, but the owners manual for the Versa didn't mention an estimated amount that was left.

2016 Versa

For the most part I've always considered different brands of gas to be very close in quality. The last tank in the Versa was Marathon it was the first time I'd ran Marathon in this car and I got 51.17 MPG, Up until this tank on the previous 5 tanks my mileage averaged 45.18 with the highest to date being 47.97 MPG. I plan to run Marathon the next few tanks and If Marathon continues to get better mileage I'll pay the extra $ .05 per gallon that it costs over Shell, BP, and Murphy's here in my home town.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”