Transmission swap ?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
ProjectMiniTruck
Car: 1996 Nissan Pick-up *240SX conversion

I'm currently in the middle of rebuilding a KA24DE out of a '91-'94 240sx for my 96 Nissan Pick-up. I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried to drop a Nissan Pick-up tranny in their 240sx ?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

You seem to be working on a truck, so I moved this to the truck forum.

The consensus is that the bellhousing is the same, but the back half is different, so it won't fit without modification. Like, cut the shifter hole larger and get your driveshaft shortened. Here's a link to an older discussion.

240sx-trans-into-hardbody-t394307.html

ProjectMiniTruck

centralcoaster33 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:29 pm
Hi and welcome to NICO Club!

You seem to be working on a truck, so I moved this to the truck forum.

The consensus is that the bellhousing is the same, but the back half is different, so it won't fit without modification. Like, cut the shifter hole larger and get your driveshaft shortened. Here's a link to an older discussion.

240sx-trans-into-hardbody-t394307.html
Are the transmission bellhousings the same regardless of D21 or 240 , and/or SOHC or DOHC ? I'm swapping a S13 240sx KA24DE into my truck , the reason it was on a 240 forum , and would like to use my D21 transmission so I don't have to cut my truck up or the drive shaft .

centralcoaster33

I think, similar to the way a corvette guy doesn't know much about an LS1 swap into a 240sx, a 240sx guy isn't going to know much about a KA swap into a hardbody. So best is to flip it around, ask 240sx guys about LS swaps into 240s and ask hardbody guys about KA swaps into a hardbody.

Anyway, because technology is cool, I was able to leave a 'shadow topic' in the 240sx section, so your kind of in both, which should give your topic good visibility for those who may have some experience to share.

The sohc and dohc 240sx transmissions had the same bellhousing bolt configurations and depths to clutch stuff. I've had them side by side. I haven't had a truck to compare anything.

It seems like you're wanting to do an engine swap, not a transmission swap? The title is confusing. Seems like that should work fine with an ECU and matching harness. It wouldn't pass smog in CA, but is probably fine in other states. Something to keep in mind if you ever sell it or move.

ProjectMiniTruck

centralcoaster33 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:30 am
I think, similar to the way a corvette guy doesn't know much about an LS1 swap into a 240sx, a 240sx guy isn't going to know much about a KA swap into a hardbody. So best is to flip it around, ask 240sx guys about LS swaps into 240s and ask hardbody guys about KA swaps into a hardbody.

Anyway, because technology is cool, I was able to leave a 'shadow topic' in the 240sx section, so your kind of in both, which should give your topic good visibility for those who may have some experience to share.

The sohc and dohc 240sx transmissions had the same bellhousing bolt configurations and depths to clutch stuff. I've had them side by side. I haven't had a truck to compare anything.

It seems like you're wanting to do an engine swap, not a transmission swap? The title is confusing. Seems like that should work fine with an ECU and matching harness. It wouldn't pass smog in CA, but is probably fine in other states. Something to keep in mind if you ever sell it or move.
That is correct centralcoaster33 i'm swapping a s13 KA24De into my truck , don't really care about the emissions stuff i'm trying to make a sweet show/race truck . I was just wondering if the d21 tranny i have now would fit up .

centralcoaster33

To the best of my knowledge, using the D21 tranny mated to your new engine is the best fit.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”