Timing Chain -- Questions / Maintenance?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to learn more about the timing chain and about potential maintenance for it. I've got a 2011 Nissan Rogue SL with ~ 150,000 KMs (~94,000 miles) on it.

I did not know the Rogue had a timing chain, but learned that reading through this forum while trying to learn about the Rogue so I can take better care of it. I am really liking the idea of the timing chain.

I actually had a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that died on me because the timing belt slipped. I was travelling on the highway and had to slow down really quickly. The engine stalled and never started again. We had the car towed to my wife's work (garage) and the mechanic there said the timing belt slipped and the pistons are shot. He said that that car was known for that. This is why I am really liking the idea of the timing chain.

So my questions . . .

1) Has anyone had a timing chain go on them? And if so, what was your mileage? (Just wondering what the earliest time to consider having someone look at it might be.)

2) Has anyone had their timing chain serviced? Whether just looked at, the timing chain replaced or the guides? And if so, at what mileage?

3) Is anyone planning to replace / service the timing chain? Or considering an engine overhaul at some point. Or, is this something that you are just not worried about.

4) Oh, yeah . . . how can you tell if the Timing Chain needs servicing or is about to go. I read one post where someone said, you'll know when the timing chain needs to be replaced. But . . . how do you know? Is there a way without actually opening up the engine?

What is everyone's thoughts?

For the posts I've found here, some mention that the timing chain should be good for the life of the vehicle. While some have mentioned it should be replaced at 200,000 miles.

Since I am actively putting together a maintenance schedule for my Rogue . . .

maintenance-sched-checklist-for-non-techie-t627343.html

. . . and trying to see how long I can get this vehicle to last (so more than 200,000 miles) :) , I figure I might as well try to figure this out now.

I was actually looking up the Dodge 5.7 Hemi V8 to see if it had a timing chain (we are considering getting one in a tow vehicle since we are looking at getting a trailer.) and found a thread where a person who says they work at a company that makes timing chains says they usually last to about 200,000 miles.

https://www.lxforums.com/board/300c-mag ... -belt.html

Any help / comments greatly appreciated! :)

Thank you! :)
TheRogue.

Related threads:

post3249830.html
post5094833.html
timing-chain-replacement-t471871.html
timing-chain-replacement-t265386.html
ka24de-timing-chain-replacement-t555211.html
how-much-for-timing-chain-replace-t85657.html

xnisstech
Car: 1987 Nissan D21
2011 Infiniti G25
2014 Nissan Rogue Select

Unlike timing belts, timing chains have no maintenance or scheduled replacement interval. They generally last the life of the engine, but poor oil maintenance is tough on them due to abrasive particulates, especially in direct-injection engines. Timing chain guides, especially the popular plastic ones, can also wear and fail. Warning signs include rattle noises, especially on start up and idle. Chains rely on oil pressure powered tensioners so oil pressure problems can cause noises as well. They will wear and stretch slightly with use and can get to the point that the cam/crank correlation can get out of limits and set DTCs related to cam position. With the valve cover off, you can rotate the crank backward then forward noting how much the crank moves before the cams. This can give you an idea of any stretching or tensioner fault. You could also measure the cam/crank correlation with an oscilloscope and monitor it over time. Keep the engine full of oil that meets the specs and change it on time, and your doing all you can for your timing chain.

TheRogue

@xnisstech.

Again. Thank you for the feedback.

This makes me feel better.

I don't hear any rattling.

So I am going to just keep on trying to keep the maintenance up on this vehicle up.

A few years out I might find the right mechanic to take a "really good look" at the state of the vehicle like taking the valve cover off and really looking around.

Take care! :)
TheRogue.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Funny thing, I recently watch Scotty Kilmer talk about this very issue and that we should be good for the life of the car since the timing chain is bathed in oil. :dblthumb:

xnisstech
Car: 1987 Nissan D21
2011 Infiniti G25
2014 Nissan Rogue Select

casperfun wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:49 am
Funny thing, I recently watch Scotty Kilmer talk about this very issue and that we should be good for the life of the car since the timing chain is bathed in oil. :dblthumb:
As long as its clean oil of the correct spec ;)

TheRogue

@casperfun & xnisstech

+1.

I have been watching Scotty Kilmer. Boy, that guy just says it like it is. No candy coating whatsoever. LOL. I like that.

Watching the videos, I heard him mention that Full Synthetic makes sense, especially here in Canada where we start up our cars in the cold. So the Full Synthetic doesn't thicken up as much over night, so it can get to the moving mechanics faster after start.

I've been using Semi Synthetic.

But I am swapping over to Full Synthetic from here on in.

For that little extra more, if it helps out everything inside that much more, especially starting the cars in our Canadian winters, I think its worth it.

Take care! :)
TheRogue.

Return to “Rogue Forum”