Timing Chain Issues? Again

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
EdGs

Hello all.

Replaced the timing chain in my stepsons 2000 Altima GXE in april -may 2012. ka24de-timing-chain-replacement-t555211.html Used an aftermarket kit-SA Gear I believe. Wasn't fond of the all plastic lower guide, but went with the kit anyway. 32K miles since then and now the horrible clatter is back and I am afraid that something is amiss with the chain kit again.

I am afraid that there is an issue with one or both of the lower guides. If it turns out to be true, I will be debating whether to change the whole kit again, or just the failed components. I will have to first determine just what failed of course.

The SA Gear kit only carries a 1 year warranty, which sucks, but it is what I could afford at the time. I am leaning toward replacing the whole kit (but not with that brand again) just to be safe but am not looking forward to doing the job again.

Opinions on replacing just the failed components vs. the whole kit?

Recommendations for brand of kit or components?

Thanks in advance.

EdGs

Just an update: It turns out that the timing chain kit is OK. I drained the oil and was in the process of removing the oil pan and was having a bit of difficulty. I happened to look over in the drain pan an discovered that he only had a little more than a quart of oil in the car.

Shame on me for not double checking the level after asking and him telling me it was full. No telling what damage was done, but a new filter and oil quieted things down. That is what I get for ASSUMING......lol

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”