"The Right Stuff" sealant OK with valve cover gaskets?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Fixing to do new valve cover gaskets and plugs.

Seen a lot of recommendations for using Permatex "The Right Stuff" sealant instead of the usual RTV, but nothing specifically about using it in the 4.1.

Apparently, it sets very quickly, so you have to work fast after applying it.

Anyone have any experience with it?

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

It's just a fast setting RTV. Very popular in the do-it-yourself community. Just don't go nuts and use too much, a little dab in the corners is all it takes.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

imho you don't want a fast setting RTV for the vcg's. reason being that the proper torque sequence (in 3 steps 30, then 60, then 72 in-lb if you are as anal as I am) takes waaaay too long for a fast setting compound. +1 for the little dab. the last thing you want is the RTV distorting the nice OEM pedigree rubber in the seals. as an aside, having done both the vh41de and the vh45de several times each for vcg's, I find the vh41 a lot easier (noted upper plenum removal for driver's side access) due to the clearances around the heads being better.

mtyler7807
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45 Base Model

I agree with 3Q Jay, you would want slower set time so your can get it in place. I used that studd to seal the tops of spark plug holes because oil was leaking back in to the plug tubes and it set real fast. works great thou.

98_Q45

I’ve done the valve cover gaskets on mine, and it is easier than the 97 maxima (no plenum removal required). But irregardless, it took me about 3 days from start to finish.

You may want to order 2 PCV valves from Napa before getting started. They come with the grommets. Mine were brittle and broke.

I just never have any good luck with RTV and valve cover gaskets. Trying to get those damn rocket covers on were annoying. I find lightly gluing the gaskets on with a little adhesive sealant (not gasket sealer/maker/etc., but adhesive) all around helps hold them in place.

My issue was, even after I did all that work, and did the RTV like the manual said, I was still getting oil seepage (thought admittedly I used permatex gasket sealant, versus silicon RTV...) And over thousands of miles, it gets messy.

So down the line, I used permatex spray and seal all around the valve cover gaskets and timing cover. My engine bay has remained pretty dry since I last did it.

But I guess the trick is to just use a small, thin amount, and letting it sit for 24 hours. I seem to have good results with their waterpump and thermostat sealant.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”