OFFICIAL: NicoClub's Rally 240SX, by Finnish Fury Rallysport

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Follow Finnish Fury Rallysport on FaceBook!!

Follow Finnish Fury Rallysport on Google +!!!

With my S14 gone, its time for a new project, and this time, Im doing everything different. Turbo power, who needs it. Slammed ride height, not a chance. Roll cage and dirt tires, now we are talking.

Things started the way many projects start. I picked up a reasonably clean 1991 240SX SE hatch. Its a rolling shell in good condition. It has a small amount of rust here and there, but nothing I cant take care of. The previous owner pulled the blown the KA with plans for an SR, but lost interest.

Got her off the trailer, and into her home for the next 6 months or so.

Anybody want a clean set of charcoal Spec V wheels? 2 of them have brand new 205 40 17 tires on them. They can go as soon as I find something for the car to roll on during the build.

Before leaving for the weekend, I took a moment to get her a little tipsy.

I took off for the weekend to LSPR, but I got right down to work today.

First things first, I needed to gut the interior in preperation for the roll cage. Besides the torn OE leather seats, the interior is in great shape. Not for long.

Clean, uncracked dash.

First to come out were the seats. The carpet is dirty as all getout.

Under the rear seat I discovered a 90s vintage car phone booster.

Gauge helping.

Then went the dash

Followed by the dash support.

He loves that screw gun.

Next the headliner, and all the plastics.

No more nasty carpet.

I also pulled all the seatbelt stuff out.

Discovered a rust hole in the floor behind the drivers seat. That will have to get patched up.

The spare tire well looked rusty, but on further inspection, its solid, not even any surface rust.

Now its time for the no fun stuff. Sound deadening has to come out. This stuff is nasty, and normally is a huge pain to get out. Luckily for me, the stuff in the hatch, and under the rear seat came out like cake.

Some surface rust, but nothing a little POR 15 wont conquer.

I tackled the passenger floor next, it turned out to be a little tougher. I spent twice the time just doing this side of the floor.

And that is a days work. I will have to finish up the sound deadening later this week, maybe this weekend. Hopefully my POR will come in, and I can dig into the rust, and get the car to the cage builder.

Every part of the interior is for sale, except the dash and center console. If you see something you like, send me an email. The power seatbelts worked when the came out, and they are for sale as well.
Last edited by IanS on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

fun240
Car: 95' S14, 91' NX1600

NICE

Keep us posted!

Brandon1605
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (S13)

Whats your email?

IanS

My Plans

Since Im sure many of you will ask, Im going to lay out my plans right away.

This car is being prepared to run in the Rally-America performance rally series. I will mainly be competing in the Midwest events.

I am building the car to fit into Group 2. This means a low displacement 4 cylinder engine, driving only 2 wheels.

Right now, a cage is first on the list. Once that is done, I will be looking for a set of FIA spec seats, and an engine. For the engine, I intend to run an NA SR20DE.

The suspension is still up in the air. The control arms will remain stock, but I have to find a set of coilovers to fit my needs. Something soft enough to suck up major rocks, and give me decent grip on gravel, while stiff enough to stay off the bump stops over jumps, crests, kicks, and the like. Im looking at Hotbits, or possibly Leda's.

Thats it for tonight.
Brandon1605 wrote:Whats your email?
Its in my profile.

ZootedS13
Car: 1990 240sx se

FlatBlackIan wrote:My Plans

Since Im sure many of you will ask, Im going to lay out my plans right away.

This car is being prepared to run in the Rally-America performance rally series. I will mainly be competing in the Midwest event.

I am building the car to fit into Group 2. This means a low displacement 2 cylinder engine, driving only 2 wheels.

Right now, a cage is first on the list. Once that is done, I will be looking for a set of FIA spec seats, and an engine. For the engine, I intend to run an NA SR20DE.

The suspension is still up in the air. The control arms will remain stock, but I have to find a set of coilovers to fit my needs. Something soft enough to suck up major rocks, and give me decent grip on gravel, while stiff enough to stay off the bump stops over jumps, crests, kicks, and the like. Im looking at Hotbits, or possibly Leda's.

Thats it for tonight.

Its in my profile.
correct me if im wrong but the sr20de is a 4 cylinder. it says u have to run a 2? or is that just a typo?

IanS

ZootedS13 wrote:
correct me if im wrong but the sr20de is a 4 cylinder. it says u have to run a 2? or is that just a typo?
Hahahaha, damn, you caught me, I already edited it.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

The S14 is gone.

musashin
Car: 1993 S13 hatch

I love this idea.

IanS

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:The S14 is gone.
Its been a long time coming. Its ok, there are better things to come.

King Ranzo
Car: 15 Ford Focus ST

Hey Ian I'll trade you my steelies for the Spec V wheels

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

Need More Dirt!

the_momo
Car: 1997 VW Golf K2 (His)/ 2001 Black Lexus IS300 (Hers)

Have you thought about doing a set of custom valved koni yellows and gc's with a soft spring? That might be a inexpensive way to get a custom tailored suspension.

Just a thought. also love the idea. Cant wait to see this in action. Ive been contemplating on doing something similar with my golf once its daily services are no longer required.

Good luck sir!

numbnuts240
Car: 1999 exploder 4-door 5-speed, 1974 fairlady z 250gt, 2011 ford focus, 2010 mazda3

fbi ftw. one question, though....will it be flat black?

IanS

the_momo wrote:Have you thought about doing a set of custom valved koni yellows and gc's with a soft spring? That might be a inexpensive way to get a custom tailored suspension.

Just a thought. also love the idea. Cant wait to see this in action. Ive been contemplating on doing something similar with my golf once its daily services are no longer required.

Good luck sir!
Yes that is another option. Either Koni's or Bilstiens are in the running. For the same price I could have 2 full sets of custom valved dampers, and a couple sets of springs. With a little creative swapping I could have an extremely versatile suspension.

Brandon1605
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (S13)

I could be wrong here, but when I look under your profile, I see no email. Sorry if Im missing it, I have a bad habit of totally missing s*** thats right in front of my face, lol.

IanS

Brandon1605 wrote:I could be wrong here, but when I look under your profile, I see no email. Sorry if Im missing it, I have a bad habit of totally missing s*** thats right in front of my face, lol.
Click on my username, that will bring you to my profile. My email is listed there, its similar to my username.

Koshin
Car: JP'd out Y32 Gloria GTU, 750 hp '87 Grand National, '63 Impala SS 327/4 speed

how much did you get outta the s14?

IanS

Koshin wrote:how much did you get outta the s14?
$6K plus this shell.

baron_harkkonen
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2005 Honda Civic

Hey clean lookin body. So you gonna use it for a dirt track car, or sumthin else?

E-mail sent.

Koshin
Car: JP'd out Y32 Gloria GTU, 750 hp '87 Grand National, '63 Impala SS 327/4 speed

FlatBlackIan wrote:
$6K plus this shell.
nice....thats good monies out of that car...congrats

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Subscribed. I gotta get out and help out when I can. Need a VLSD? I've got one with your name on it if you help me swap to HLSD. And any other bits I can let go of.I'll call you this weekend.

nissanman04
Car: '90 240SX, '95 Subaru Legacy

Very cool, I want to turn my legacy wagon into a rally beater once its DD duties are over (i.e. when I finally get an engineering position ).

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

You're gonna put this puppy up against Travis Pastrana and Ken Block?

Super cool idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Razi
Car: Moo

You should paint it like this.

troskinatior
Car: A Two Tone Piggy Coupe

my 2 favorite things, rally, and 240sxthis is going to be a sweet buildgood luck

the_momo
Car: 1997 VW Golf K2 (His)/ 2001 Black Lexus IS300 (Hers)

FlatBlackIan wrote:
Yes that is another option. Either Koni's or Bilstiens are in the running. For the same price I could have 2 full sets of custom valved dampers, and a couple sets of springs. With a little creative swapping I could have an extremely versatile suspension.
Ive also thought maybe an inboard pushbar style suspension (at least for the rear) would be rather effective for rally, being that it helps shift some unsprung weight to a more central location, as well as provides a marginal bit of protection to your rear suspension.

I would also say that given the myriad of different products that qa1 makes you could probably get a few different systems to suit your needs that you can change and tune without even removing the wheels. If it were easier to do for the front i would say this would be the ticket.

you could probably even get some extra suspension travel without having to raise the car a ridiculous amount, via different mounting points on your bellcranks.

Just a thought.

justinedible4
Car: 1990 Honda Accord, 1991 S13 HB

looks like a fun build man!I have subscribed!

captainfalco
Car: S14,MX83

Are you going to run like studded snow tires on this or what?

fishpony
Car: 2003 Maxima

Sent you an email about the wheels and have a motor you might be interested in. Let me know.

Oh and looks like an interesting build! good luck!

IanS

the_momo wrote:
Ive also thought maybe an inboard pushbar style suspension (at least for the rear) would be rather effective for rally, being that it helps shift some unsprung weight to a more central location, as well as provides a marginal bit of protection to your rear suspension.

I would also say that given the myriad of different products that qa1 makes you could probably get a few different systems to suit your needs that you can change and tune without even removing the wheels. If it were easier to do for the front i would say this would be the ticket.

you could probably even get some extra suspension travel without having to raise the car a ridiculous amount, via different mounting points on your bellcranks.

Just a thought.
Its a good idea in theory, but not a viable one for me. For my class, all suspension mounting points must remain in the factory postions. No pushrod, rosebud, or remote systems. Not to mention the cost. Im going for a budget build. The most important thing to me, is getting the car log booked, and competition ready.

The wheels aren't for sale just yet guys. I dont even know what shape they are in. I wouldnt want to sell someone a bent to hell wheel.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”