The Official BS CHAT thread of gaming!

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
Kalypso

MinisterofDOOM wrote:Sounds like fun.

a game that simply relies on a basic (but well-developed) mechanics premise and doesn't really need anything more than that to provide gameplay can be infinitely replayable. Look at Worms. NEVER gets old. Every game is different. But the game is so simple.
THats what its ALLL about... great feel and mechanincs... most design studios have lost that entirely.

the games dont ... 'flow'
MinisterofDOOM wrote:
BTW, if you like rock-paper-scissors gameplay and strategic combat, you NEED to check out the Fire Emblem games. There are games in the series on the GBA, DS, GCN and Wii. They all play nearly identically, and the graphics are very basic, but the strategy involved in the battles is a lot of fun and uses a rock-paper-scissors weapons triangle (lance>sword>axe>lance).
I'll check it out thank you. the mechanics I were talking about dont have to be that simple, but I like the Idea of finding creative ways to beat people

with the same common abilities that everyone has... so strategy and speed, and creativity are what allow you to win.

not.... 'the best weapon in the game'

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:Just played the demo for the new Batman game... OMG this is quite possibly one of the best games of the year,
really? I played the demo and thought it was ok, but nothing more. Maybe I'll go through it again. Its certainly far better than any other Batman game we've so far though.

My only "must buy" games this year appear to be: Assassin's Creed II, Forza 3 and Halo: ODST. I'm on the fence about Wolfenstein and Batman, but might would pick up Batman for sure after a price drop.

I actually already reserved the collectors edition of both ODST (the way I figure it, its $10 off the price of a normal controller) and Assassin, no idea what the plans are for Forza though. Maybe a limited with extra tracks and a special car (or just a special car for pre-orders).

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

BusyBadger wrote:
My only "must buy" games this year appear to be: Assassin's Creed II, Forza 3 and Halo: ODST. and MODERN WARFARE 2
Fixed that for you

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

BusyBadger wrote:My only "must buy" games this year appear to be: Assassin's Creed II, Forza 3 and Halo: ODST.
Assassin's Creed II, Borderlands, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Champions Online (now that I've seen it played) are all I can think of at the moment as far as must-buys on my list. SCII would have been on there but it looks like it'll be a late summer 2010 title now at the earliest.

bmike818
Car: 2007 Z

I will finally get to play Too Human tonight. I hope I can get the achievements quick so I can sell it.

Must Buy Games for me:Halo ODST-CEForza 3-CE

.....Maybe COD MW2-Prestige edition

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

marlin29311 wrote:Fixed that for you
No, no you didn't.

Me playing MW2 is like Hans Stuck playing Forza - its just not quite the same as the real thing. Been there, done that, got the shirt (traded some of my hearing for it). There's a reason the Halo armours I wear are either CQB or EOD (wish it were called Sapper instead ).

That being said, I might eventually pick it up but I'd never buy it at the release price. I do play Rainbow because a lot of friends do and I like the franchise & the books.

I forgot about Borderlands. It looks really nice, I love the cell style graphics- and those seem to be pretty polarizing. People either love them or hate them, not many people I've heard are in the middle on that. I want a nice MMO on the 360. I was an EQ'er for years but finally quit when I was moving and got busy with work. Champions looks promising too and then there's Age of Conan (will it ever come out for the 360?). I loved Phantasy Star Online but hated what Sega did with Phatasy Star Universe and Borderlands may be a something that can fill the void nicely.

Then there's the best MMO that never got made for the Xbox/Xbox 360 - True Fantasy Live Online. Someone really needs to pick that up.

Then there's the Eidos one-two punch for 2010....Deus Ex 3 (fall) and Thief 4 (spring).

Kalypso

quake 3.... ftw

bmike818

I am barley finished with Fable II, OMG Fable III looks like it's going to rock as well. Anybody else excited about this game?

.....10 mins of work left......Xbox 360 here I come.........

Hit me up for any game peoples....Want to see my SF4 skills?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

BusyBadger wrote:I forgot about Borderlands. It looks really nice, I love the cell style graphics- and those seem to be pretty polarizing.
Yeah, I was surprised to see how many people reacted negatively to them. I think the new art style is awesome.
BusyBadger wrote:I want a nice MMO on the 360.
Champions is supposed to eventually hit the 360. The PC version has true 360 controller support so I'll definitely be messing with that to see how well the console version will work.
bmike818 wrote:I am barley finished with Fable II, OMG Fable III looks like it's going to rock as well. Anybody else excited about this game?
Nope. Not remotely. I was excited for Fable and it was a huge let down. I was excited for Fable II and it was an even bigger letdown. I am not excited for Fable III because it's not going to have 99% of the s*** Frenchy promises. He's going to talk it up and make it sound incredible and get everyone all hyped up. And then it's going to be completely average. And all the stuff he talked up is either not going to be there, or have no point, or be poorly implemented, or be some pale imitation of what he promised.

I am not remotely excited about Fable III. The trend that has been established says it'll be really short, really average, and a massive disappointment.

marlin29311

Just downloaded the Batman demo...this game actually seems really legit - I was suprised at how well everything works and looks at the same time...I think i might get it on tuesday.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I need to download the PC demo for it I guess. A quick google shows it supports physx. Time for me to put my GTX260 to some real work.

EDIT: holy carp 2GB!!! That's a big friggin' demo.

marlin29311

Yea, the demo on 360 was 1.5 GB....yikes.

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

I have to wait another two weeks while you console geeks can get it on Tuesday...

positron1

Went back to Tomb Raider Underworld and just found Thor's hammer and went after Natla. Now I'm making my way into Avalon. No more guns and bullets because this hammer does major damage!!!

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

BusyBadger wrote:Me playing MW2 is like Hans Stuck playing Forza - its just not quite the same as the real thing. Been there, done that, got the shirt (traded some of my hearing for it). There's a reason the Halo armours I wear are either CQB or EOD (wish it were called Sapper instead ).
Oh shnikees, Please tell me you were a Combat Engineer, that's the only way I would ever expect anyone to know what a Sapper is...

Oh and I was a 12B (21B now) and am actually considering on reeinlisting for either EOD or Cav Scout and I love the Modern Warfare games, but I am starting to get super psyched about Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising as it's release nears. The hardcore mode makes the gamer actually live the game, the AI uses real tactics, you have absolutely NO HUD or Compass and if you run out of ammo it's your own stupid fault, you have to keep a count of the bullets you fire just like real life, their is absolutely no third person mode, and the tactics utilized come from the USMC playbook... Oh and it's completely open ended, so you can take whatever route or method you want to accomplish your missions but their are time constraints just like in real life.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I played the Arkham demo. Meh. Wasn't particularly impressed. Some stuff was poorly done, like grappling to objects...it's entirely uninvolving, might as well be watching a cutscene. Harley Quinn is maybe the most obnoxious game character ever, to boot. The meat of the gameplay is pretty generic, and fighting is just "mash the punch button." Yeah, you can throw in combos but there's no depth to it. Targetting is really bad, too, which detracts hugely from combat fluidity.

Visually, the game is great (animations are fantastic, particularly). But the gameplay is average at best.

positron1

Just beat Tomb Raider Underworld....f*****g awesome and considering the fact that I hadn't played a Tomb Raider game since the first one came out in the late 90's I really like the changes, not only graphically of course but the play mechanics and puzzle solving. Croft is still hot too!!!

marlin29311

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I played the Arkham demo. Meh. Wasn't particularly impressed. Some stuff was poorly done, like grappling to objects...it's entirely uninvolving, might as well be watching a cutscene. Harley Quinn is maybe the most obnoxious game character ever, to boot. The meat of the gameplay is pretty generic, and fighting is just "mash the punch button." Yeah, you can throw in combos but there's no depth to it. Targetting is really bad, too, which detracts hugely from combat fluidity.

Visually, the game is great (animations are fantastic, particularly). But the gameplay is average at best.
Hmm..I didn't get that impression for the 360 - try the 360 verison, I'm curious what you think...

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Don't see why it should make a difference. It's the same game.

Chaotic_Warlord

The demo does the game no justice, yeah it's button mashing, but it's also towards the beginning of the game. As you progress through you get more of the bat toys to utilize and did you try to use the detective mode? As far as Harley Quinn being obnoxious, if you ever watched Batman the Animated Series (which this game follows extremely well) you'd see that she is that obnoxious in the cartoon as well. All the voice acting is done by the same actors that did Batman the Animated Series, which means that Mark Hamill is still getting a pay check.

As far as the game goes, I am a massive fan of old Batman cartoon (Batman Beyond was also top notch due to it being the future storyline of the Animated Series). I'm curious as to exactly what villians they have added in? The Joker is my personal favorite with HQ close behind. I know it has the Riddler, Killer Croc, Bane, and Poison Ivy, but I'm curious if they have added the Penguin and Two Face. Not a fan of Mr. Freeze but I think he might be in the game too.

The game has a crap ton of easter eggs and I am putting it on my X-mas/Bday list along with Wolfenstein and possibly Marvel Alliance II.

positron1

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:The demo does the game no justice, yeah it's button mashing, but it's also towards the beginning of the game. As you progress through you get more of the bat toys to utilize and did you try to use the detective mode? As far as Harley Quinn being obnoxious, if you ever watched Batman the Animated Series (which this game follows extremely well) you'd see that she is that obnoxious in the cartoon as well. All the voice acting is done by the same actors that did Batman the Animated Series, which means that Mark Hamill is still getting a pay check.

As far as the game goes, I am a massive fan of old Batman cartoon (Batman Beyond was also top notch due to it being the future storyline of the Animated Series). I'm curious as to exactly what villians they have added in? The Joker is my personal favorite with HQ close behind. I know it has the Riddler, Killer Croc, Bane, and Poison Ivy, but I'm curious if they have added the Penguin and Two Face. Not a fan of Mr. Freeze but I think he might be in the game too.

The game has a crap ton of easter eggs and I am putting it on my X-mas/Bday list along with Wolfenstein and possibly Marvel Alliance II.
Batman/Superman and the Batman animated were two of my favorites...loved watching them then and still do on DVD! Sadly, Hamill said at this past Comicon that this game would be his last time voicing the animated series Joker so he wanted to go all out on this game. I just watched a Gametrailers video review on this game today and they have a riddler appearance somewhat in the game too. The only thing I hate about this game is having to wait an extra two weeks for the PC version. They say this is going to be the best Batman game since Lego Batman which I have not played but I do have fond memories of Batman Returns on the Super NES.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

positron_ wrote:They say this is going to be the best Batman game since Lego Batman
That's not saying much. Lego Batman sucked. Worst lego game by far. You can't take a game designed around laser guns and the force and just slap in melee-oriented superheroes and expect it to work.

I had the NES version of Batman Returns. It was fun.

Nali
Car: Datsun Nissan 280ZX

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I played the Arkham demo. Meh. Wasn't particularly impressed. Some stuff was poorly done, like grappling to objects...it's entirely uninvolving, might as well be watching a cutscene. Harley Quinn is maybe the most obnoxious game character ever, to boot. The meat of the gameplay is pretty generic, and fighting is just "mash the punch button." Yeah, you can throw in combos but there's no depth to it. Targetting is really bad, too, which detracts hugely from combat fluidity.

I didnt mind the grappling On 360 But beyond that i agree whole heartedly

Its definitely not anything special, its getting all sorts of high reviews, but i find it to be a generic beatem up. Mash X until bad guys are dead.

The sneaking was nothing to boast about either, its no Chaos Theory, get on the gargoyles and keep jumping from one to the next till you see a badguy you can kill. Jump on him, or Pull him off a ledge.

Rinse and Repeat.

I do believe its the best Batman game, but IGN is saying the Best Comic book game ever? Have they forgotten Xmen Legends(I&II) and The Punisher?Its a good game, but its fighting engine is far from a Ninja Gaiden.I might pick the game up on Gamefly, but i doubt it.

Has anyone tried the DIRT2 Demo on XBL?Pretty frikkin Badass.

Chaotic_Warlord

On topic with the new topic... is anyone even remotely interested in NFS:Shift or does everyone think it will be a ripoff of GRID and as disapointing as Prostreet.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I lost interest in NFS after Porsche Unleashed. That was the last "real" NFS game. I'm not interested in Shift now, but if it goes back to what the series was with High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed, I'll get it. I don't want another career race sim, though (i.e. Forza/GT). I want classic NFS: lots of cars, lots of roads, no restrictions.

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:Oh shnikees, Please tell me you were a Combat Engineer, that's the only way I would ever expect anyone to know what a Sapper is...
I was a 12E before the MOS was phased out (I'm older than my game playing indicates) and then I was just a regular old 12B when I came back stateside.

I don't know if you could pay me enough to be an EOD now though. Someone walking around with the Crab on his bdu's, errr ACU's (showing my age again) has all my respect. After Desert Storm there was an offer out to former engineers and EOD types to go to Kuwait to help clear landmines for a cool tax-free $100K a year. Sounds good until you hear about some of the Royal Engineers coming back missing fingers, toes or worse and then think about the fact that those boys had been dealing with toys left behind by the IRA for years.

To quote Han Solo, "What good is a reward if you ain't around to use it?"

Chaotic_Warlord

I was a 12B from 96 to 99, spent a year in the sh*thole known as Camp Howze Korea, then spent the rest of my enlistment @ with 101st Puking Chickens. Missed Desert Storm by a year and never got sent to Bosnia so my MOS was pretty much useless. Being a Combat Engineer used to suck more than a NYC prostitute, we got all the broken crap the Infantry and Artillery had already had and wore out and got sent on the worst field problems known to man. But nowadays Engineers and EOD are the gods of the battlefield because without them and EOD and those awesome Buffalos and the new CEV's everyone else would just stay put because no one else is crazy enough to F with IED's. Plus we get all the cool toys the infantry wished they had.

But I have to admit, there is absolutely nothing more priceless than pranking the hell out of the infantry guys, like walking past their fir pits in chucking a small piece of C4 in and watching them scatter or taking a bite out of a 1/4 stick of c4 and chewing on it and watching their faces cringe in fear because they think it will blow up, the only thing that blows up is your rectum a day later. C4 makes a better laxative than Ex-Lax.

marlin29311

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:On topic with the new topic... is anyone even remotely interested in NFS:Shift or does everyone think it will be a ripoff of GRID and as disapointing as Prostreet.
Unless NFS comes out with Most Wanted 2, I will never play another NFS game again. Seriously.

bmike818

The last NFS I enjoyed was Most Wanted....I do have Carbon which came after it. It had some of the gameplay elements that made Most wanted fun. The Canyon races sucked arse. The Cop levels at Carbon is uber difficult.

I just finished Too Human...it was okay. I don't know if I will play it the second time to get more achievements. Overall it wasn't a bad $9.90 game. I can't believe they invested $80mil to make this game. IMO the game lacks polish, attack and guard system is broken or non-existent. Lastly this game needs more music to advance the plot. If these few issues were fixed before the game was released, this game could have been so much more. I expected more from Bioware. Too Human resembles Mass Effect too much....IMO (graphics wise, even the lead character remonds me of Mass Effect)

Nali
Car: Datsun Nissan 280ZX

bmike818 wrote:I just finished Too Human...it was okay. I don't know if I will play it the second time to get more achievements. ........
What class did you play the first time?The game is worth a second play through with one of the more focused classes. My first play i was a berserker(dual wielding melee fighter) second playthrough i went commando(long range weapons) and the game feels completely different.

But i agree TooHuman lacked polish, it makes me wonder if they even play tested the final product or just released it so they could make some cash back.Its sad that they had a fallout with Epic, cuz i think the game would have been spectacular under the UE3 engine. And cutting 4 player co-op was the dumbest move they made beyond not allowing us to skip death animations.

I still really liked the story though, and i hope SK didnt give up on TooHuman is actually still gonna make a sequel.

Return to “Gaming”