Temporary wheel block

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
QuestMan
Car: 2008 Nissan Quest

Temporary wheel block

Postby QuestMan » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:27 pm

Hi.

I have bought quest 3 month ago and got an issue with brake system. If you start engine and begin to accelerate (more than 15 mph), the right back wheel is blocked for a few seconds. In 99.9% cases this happens in first 20 seconds after the start driving. After this the car is driving well. ABS lamp doesn't react on this issue. If you drive less than 15 mph after the start, the problem is not observed. I have replaced all rear break pads and break liquid, this hasn't helped. I need advice, where is the problem?

VStar650CL
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Re: Temporary wheel block

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:08 pm

Sounds like a sticky caliper slide. When you changed the pads, did you grease both slide pins and make sure the rubber seals were good? Nissan ABS's will usually notice pressure differentials during initial self-test, so while it's possible an ABS solenoid could cause your issue, it isn't the likeliest culprit.

QuestMan

Postby QuestMan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:18 am

Hmm... interesting idea, but I do not understand why does problem happen once after start but not at each brake use? Yes, one of the rubbers looked a bit defective but without cracks or any other defects, but everything was moving smoothly so I greased and assembled everything as it was. Anyway, I will replace pins and seals.

VStar650CL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:29 am

QuestMan wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:18 am
Hmm... interesting idea, but I do not understand why does problem happen once after start but not at each brake use? Yes, one of the rubbers looked a bit defective but without cracks or any other defects, but everything was moving smoothly so I greased and assembled everything as it was. Anyway, I will replace pins and seals.
The only thing that backs the pads off the rotors when you release the pedal is the square-cut on the caliper piston seal. When you press the brake, the seal deforms instead of sliding, then springs back to its normal shape when the pressure is released. That doesn't provide much force to overcome a sticky slider, and if the pad is left tight against the rotor when the car is parked, stick-tion will develop after it sits for awhile and adhere the pad to the rotor. Then you get clunking or dragging when you try to move it again.

QuestMan

Postby QuestMan » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:44 pm

Hi,

I have replaced pins for both calipers, rear wheels calipers. The problem still exists. Do you have other ideas?

VStar650CL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:12 pm

Are you certain it's the brake dragging and not something else going thump in the right rear? If it is the brake, the problem pretty much has to be in the ABS if it's a late model. If it's old then there might be other things. What year is the van?

QuestMan

Postby QuestMan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:23 am

Yes, It is brakes. If you accelerate too quickly the car starts skidding. You also may find tires black track on the road after this. The car was manufactured in 2008.
When I start the engine and start to drive I also hear a strange sound from the rear part of the car. It sounds like servo engine works for a few seconds. What is it?

VStar650CL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:28 am

Yep, that sounds like the ABS is locking it up. If there are no codes in the ABS then there's one other possible cause besides the ABS Unit, your Steering Angle Sensor could be failing to initialize properly and making the ABS think the car is skidding when it starts to move. If the SAS checks out then the ABS is probably faulty.

QuestMan

Postby QuestMan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:03 pm

Hm.. I have The ELM scanner FIXD. It doesn't show any error codes for ABS. I only have the error for two rear TMPS, they don't work and should be replaced. Could it be a result of TMPS fault?
How to check the SAS? When I bought the car the spiral cable didn't work and I replaced it. But I observed the problem before I replaced the spiral cable.

VStar650CL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:07 pm

No, TPMS shouldn't cause that, ABS only reacts to differences in wheel speed across an axle (say, one rear wheel turning faster than the other even though the car isn't turning), or to yaw. The SAS can create a phony yaw condition if it's lying or not initializing properly, which the ABS reacts to by using the solenoid on the wheel opposite the yaw to stabilize the car and prevent a spin. Most ABS-capable scanners can stream the SAS and the Yaw Sensor, but first try just turning off the VDC before you move the car. If that makes the problem stop, then the ABS is definitely responding to a bad input.

QuestMan

Postby QuestMan » Sat May 07, 2022 11:40 am

Hi. I am sorry for delay with the answer. I have found cracks on the axel boots and decided to reset sas with wheels alignment after axel replacement. I will keep you informed about progress.

QuestMan

Postby QuestMan » Sat May 07, 2022 1:07 pm

A small remark.

I was trying to turn off the VDC system, pressing and holding the corresponding button on the panel near the door but the corresponding icon is not turning on the dash panel. Moreover, it is not turned on with other icons at self-testing at ignition.
I checked the button contacts and everything looks fine. The second idea was connected with a fuse element but as I understood, the VDC doesn't have the fuse element.

VStar650CL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Postby VStar650CL » Sat May 07, 2022 2:30 pm

No, the ABS Controller is responsible for TCS/VDC on an '08 Quest. Later models can have other stuff like Chassis Controllers, but yours doesn't have any of that. In fact, looking through the FSM, I was surprised to find your ABS is on the CANbus but doesn't throw codes. Diag on it is old school. That's plain odd for an '08, but the Quests always were red-headed stepchildren. Here's your manual by the way:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... %2Fbrc.pdf

The "VDC Off" lamp failing to turn on indicates you may have either a bad ABS or a wiring problem with the ABS connector. The switch is monitored directly by the ABS Unit, but the lamp gets turned on by the cluster via a CAN request from the ABS Unit. The first thing I'd check is whether there's voltage on one of the wires to the switch. It's a grounding-switch setup, so with the switch disconnected you should see voltage on one wire and ground on the other. Use a meter and not a test lamp, the voltage will come from a pullup resistor inside the ABS and won't light a lamp. If you don't see voltage on either of the wires then it would tend to point to a wiring issue with the ABS connector or possibly bad power to the ABS Unit.

QuestMan

Postby QuestMan » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:58 am

A small update of this issue. I was in the PepBoys but seems that they were too busy for my problem. Mechanic told that for quest he needs to connect directly to sas to reset it value, jumped into his car and drove out somewhere.

I found a guy with cool car computer and he was able to read the old error in abs module like "the connection with sas was lost". Now I am sure that sas generates wrong angle values. As I also understand, the self studying of sas in the Quest is impossible.

I also have found a car electric who promised me to help with this issue, we just need to find time for meeting.

Return to “Quest Forum”