2007 Nissan Quest ABS problem

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
JT123
Car: 2007 Nissan Quest

Hello All,

New to the forum and hopefully I can get some answers without dumping more and more money into this thing.

I have a 2007 Quest SE I purchased last November (84k miles). Steering wheel controls didn't work so took to dealership and ran diagnostics and found it was spiral cable. They wanted 1k to replace it. . .I said screw you, bought part online for $125 and did it myself. Everything works great now (Bluetooth, cruise, volume) except ABS light came on and upon acceleration after you first start engine the ABS engages and locks up front wheels for a second or two. You're a sitting duck for those seconds. Not a great thing if you're turning left in front of traffic!

I read forums about resetting the ABS light which that works but doesn't fix the issue and the ABS light comes back on.

I removed ABS fuse to narrow down problem. The van runs just fine but brake light is on, speedometer and odometer doesn't work, no cruise control. So it's the ABS system somewhere.

Was suggest to replace ABS wheel sensors by stealership. That was an easy and fairly inexpensive fix. I did that myself and it did not fix the problem. The stealership said to bring it in for another diagnostic and pay another 100 bucks. I asked why the first diagnostic didn't pick it up and they said it was because of the faulty spiral cable.

I found that after I first start the engine, back out of the driveway, put it into drive. . . if I just coast for the first 5-10 seconds I will hear a faint electric sound (like a pump turning on) for 1-2 seconds. I know by now that after it makes that sound, I'm good to go. The van drives just fine the rest of the time. It's only happened within the first 10 seconds of putting the van into drive.

Modulator? ECM? Those are super expensive fixes from what I've heard but any suggestions y'all can give me would be most appreciated. I really don't want to throw any more money at the stealership.

JT

ricebike
Car: 1989 240sx se 5spd (donated to my brother in law)
2002 Quest
2005 Altima

maybe the wiring/ plug to those sensors aren't working correctly. i'm not that good w/ electrical, so maybe someone will chime in on checking the wiring from the sensor to the other end of that wire (to the ABS unit/brain)

there was an easy test for those sensors but you've already replaced the originally good ones. at least the stealership didn't get you on those

and you already ruled out that the system will now default to a regular braking setup if your abs sensor/plug/or wiring is bad

here's the section you want to look at for reference:

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Quest/2007_Quest/brc.pdf

start at BRC-30 and have fun saving money

I found that after I first start the engine, back out of the driveway, put it into drive. . . if I just coast for the first 5-10 seconds I will hear a faint electric sound (like a pump turning on) for 1-2 seconds. I know by now that after it makes that sound, I'm good to go. The van drives just fine the rest of the time. It's only happened within the first 10 seconds of putting the van into drive.
weird, my older generation quest does that too... now i know why; self-test before we go-g0 :whistle:

Return to “Quest Forum”