Stuck odometer reset button

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
PhillT
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

2006 M45 with ~50,000 miles. Took car in for airbag recall replacement. When I got it back discovered the odometer reset button was stuck in the "in" position so I can't reset trip odometer. Dealer says they didn't touch it. Fixing it would cost $300-$1000. Anyone have this problem? Any thoughts on how to fix this. Brute force try to pull it out with pliers? Drop some lubricant (WD-40 maybe) in?

WillV
Car: 2006 M35 Moonlight White/Tan Interior

Ask to see their before and after photos. They should have taken them to cover themselves in the event of a claim. See if the before photo shows your button in the "out" position and their after photo stuck in.

PhillT

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

PhillT

Dealer said they don't routinely take pictures of dash for airbag replacement unless the dash is damaged in process. Didn't make much sense to me but that means there's no pictures. So I'll have to try plan B.

EdBwoy

Could you clarify this for me.
So the 2nd line of your odometer is stuck on 0 - continuously resetting the trip miles?
What happens if you try to push it in further or twist that knurled knob?

PhillT

Trip odometer works, just can't reset it, or move from Trip A to Trip B. Can't push it in, seems to be in as far as it will go. The button is smooth, not knurled. Have tried pushing it, wriggling it, tried to pull it out with needle nose pliers but didn't want to put too much pressure in it lest I crush it (don't know if button is hollow or solid). Haven't tried twisting it with pliers however. Put a drop of WD-40 on it to see if it can work it's way down. Will try twisting if that doesn't work.

EdBwoy

PhillT, any possibility of us seeing a picture? I'm curious but can't quite picture this form of damage.
How to post pictures:
1. using IMGUR
2. using PHOTOBUCKET
3. using TINYPIC

PhillT

Couldn't get a meaningful picture. It's a little black post sticking out of a black dashboard in a shadowed area.

EdBwoy

I was in the garage and decided to see what/how this can be messed with. It's a spring loaded thing, and I got a little wary of disassembling it further. Sorry I don't have a solution at the moment still.

You have really low mileage, but I'd try searching on ebay for a replacement if you'd like to remedy it.

PhillT

Thanks for giving it a shot. I don't think its worth trying to get a replacement module. It would still cost $300 to remove the dash, according to the service advisor. And then the new odometer would have to be matched to the current mileage, according to her, and that takes a special service. Who knows what that would cost. So again, thanks for trying to resolve this.

EdBwoy

Is the module not within the gauge cluster? I saw some other mysterious module behind the cluster when I removed the dash though.

I'm curious what exactly needs to be done to reset the mileage. I would hope their magical module could just go through the OBD2 port.

Where are you located btw? Someone on the forum might be close by, or be able to offer some guidance.

PhillT

:) Finally fixed the problem! I had been using a small needle-nosed pliers to wriggle and pull the button out but couldn't get a good grip. Finally used a hemostat I had laying around which was much grippier. After several attempts over several days the button moved a little, and with one good yank the thing finally came out. Works OK now, but still can't figure out how it happened in the first place. But at least I know how to fix it now.
Thank you EDBwoy for your support.

missan199
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35

Thank you for the question and the resolution information.
This is exactly what happened to my 2007 M35 at the dealer when they replaced the recalled airbag. This can't possibly be a coincidence.
When checking my dash I also discovered that the RING selection button on the left is also stuck the same way. When I pulled RING button out with a pair of pliers it started working normally. Unfortunately, the same did not work for the Trip Reset. I can pull it out, but when pressed, it stays in. It feels as if there is no spring push-back or there is enough interference to restrict free movement.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”