Stalling after startup

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
wysguymd
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

My 2010 EX35 (105k miles) has been stalling occasionally after starting the car and shifting from P to R. (The rpms always drop after shifting out of Park, the stalling just depends on how low they drop.) I had a similar issue 2 years ago, Infiniti dealer replaced the throttle bodies and all was good until recently. Took it back to Infiniti, they replaced throttle bodies again, but i'm still having the problem. Car went back to Infiniti for a week, they couldn't find a solution. Anyone have the same problem? Any known fixes or ideas? (The spark plugs were also replaced, all fluids/services are up to date.)

Also, unrelated, a local shop recommends I have the drive belt replaced due to age/mileage; Infiniti hasn't recommended that. Should I get that done?

thanks!

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

If you're not getting any trouble codes, here are some other possibiilties:
- coil packs (might have a faulty one or more)
- fuel injectors
- vacuum leak
- fuel pump

also, check out this thread: https://forums.nicoclub.com/2010-ex-sta ... 85785.html

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

wysguymd wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 am

a local shop recommends I have the drive belt replaced due to age/mileage; Infiniti hasn't recommended that. Should I get that done?
yes definitely get the belt changed if it has over 100k miles on it

DHackRSX

Why did they replace the throttle bodies (2X)?

Those can just be cleaned....

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

wysguymd wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 am
My 2010 EX35 (105k miles) has been stalling occasionally after starting the car and shifting from P to R. (The rpms always drop after shifting out of Park, the stalling just depends on how low they drop.) I had a similar issue 2 years ago, Infiniti dealer replaced the throttle bodies and all was good until recently. Took it back to Infiniti, they replaced throttle bodies again, but i'm still having the problem. Car went back to Infiniti for a week, they couldn't find a solution. Anyone have the same problem? Any known fixes or ideas? (The spark plugs were also replaced, all fluids/services are up to date.)

Also, unrelated, a local shop recommends I have the drive belt replaced due to age/mileage; Infiniti hasn't recommended that. Should I get that done?

thanks!
If the dealership is stumped, I would think that you'd have to give the car to a good independent shop for at least a few days to maybe a week in order for them to do lots of troubleshooting.

Recently with my wife's vehicle (non-Infiniti) had the same issue as you where it would stall after starting the car and shifting the transmission to reverse. In that car, the problem was caused by premature lockup of the transmission's torque converter clutch. I'm not expecting that this is the source of your problem, as I think the TC clutch in the EX is only supposed to lock up in gears 3-5.

Were you or the dealership able to consistently get the issue to repeat? It doesn't also happen when you shift directly from P to D, does it?

NJGuy

sherwooa wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:07 pm
also, check out this thread: https://forums.nicoclub.com/2010-ex-sta ... 85785.html
He probably has, as he's the one that started that thread too. :)

NJGuy

DHackRSX wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:04 pm
Why did they replace the throttle bodies (2X)?

Those can just be cleaned....
Dealerships tend to go by the book when it comes to repairs. Plus, it gives them a better chance that the problem gets fixed the first time. I picture that most Infiniti owners tend to be well off and aren't all that car savvy, so they'll just go along with what the service department recommends.

The exception is if they're trying to upsell something that's not needed. After all, their number one goal is to make money.

You'd have a better chance at getting an alternate fix (like the throttle body cleaning) at an independent shop, as they tend to get customers with more varied repair budgets.

DHackRSX

I would consider it troubleshooting, although I think if it was a dirty throttle body he'd be throwing a MAF code.

My 2012's RPMs are bouncing on a really cold day at startup and it will frequently go into stupid mode where it lacks acceleration / acts sluggish. I've cleaned the sensors, the next step is to do the throttle body clean-out. Hope it works. Sensors are $$.

Back to the OP's issue though. I know the dealership is there to make money, but what they're doing seems to me like throwing out a wheel because someone's ride is bumpy.... without balancing the wheel to see if it fixes it.

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

NJGuy wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:34 am
sherwooa wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:07 pm
He probably has, as he's the one that started that thread too. :)
Doh. Reading comp was not my friend on that one :lolling:

sev

did they do the throttle re-learn procedure after changing the throttle bodies? You can do this yourself. All recent nissan's/inifniti's have the same procedure. I'd google it and try it.

Stalling after startup or RPM's bogging after putting into gear is textbook throttle plate position issues.

wysguymd

As a followup - to all that are asking why the throttle bodies weren't cleaned, they were and the problem didn't go away. (the relearn procedure was also done several times). Replacement worked to solve the problem when it first happened a few years ago, so after cleaning again to no success, we replaced again. The rpms still drop when shifting out of Park, but fortunately it hasn't stalled in a few months. I'm refusing to put more money into the car and just hoping it lasts me a few more months til I decide what to replace it with. (Didn't like the new QX50 after having it for a loaner for over a week.)

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”