2010 EX Stalls on Start

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
wysguymd
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35

I'm having an intermittent issue when starting my 2010 EX AWD. Sometimes it starts fine, other times it stalls out. The tachometer on a good start swings up to 2000rpm and stays there. When it stalls, it gets up to 1000 and drops down to 0. Occassionally it will drop to 500 and get back up over 1000 without stalling.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it - the car can sit for 3 days and start fine, I drive/park for 10 minutes and it can stall out.

I've had it at the dealer twice for this issue, they can't find anything wrong. They did a fuel induction cleaning, replaced the battery, and air filters. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

ralfp
Car: 2014 QX50

I assume no codes (MIL is off).
Does it ever stall out when cold, or only when the engine is already warm. Could be engine coolant temp sensor (don't trust me).

I've also seen this kind of thing happen because of a faulty idle air control valve. Even if the shop cleaned the throttle body, the IAC valve might not get cleaned.

Has anyone looked at/logged the sensor (MAF/MAP, air and coolant temp) values?

mk15
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD Journey
Obsidian black with black interior

Things that come to mind in order of what I think is most probably to least:
- a really horrible batch of gas, has this been happening on the same tank of gas?
- dirty/fouled spark plugs
- faulty fuel pump (hope not!)
- the MAF sensors
- a dirty/clogged EGR (stuck open),
- O2 sensors (unlikely, it should have thrown an error/cel by now)

I had all first 5 occur to me on a different car on 5 unrelated occasions during the lifetime of that car. XD

wysguymd

Thanks for the suggestions. Seems ridiculous I have to specifically ask the service dept to check these things, you'd think they'd have enough knowledge to check into these areas on their own. But since the computer isn't giving them a code, they don't know what to do. :facepalm:

mk15

wysguymd wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Seems ridiculous I have to specifically ask the service dept to check these things, you'd think they'd have enough knowledge to check into these areas on their own. But since the computer isn't giving them a code, they don't know what to do. :facepalm:
Best of luck!

I'm starting to lean on it being the fuel pump because modern cars tend to tell you (CEL/MIL) if it's a spark plug or EGR problem pretty early on.

mk15

wysguymd wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Seems ridiculous I have to specifically ask the service dept to check these things, you'd think they'd have enough knowledge to check into these areas on their own. But since the computer isn't giving them a code, they don't know what to do. :facepalm:
Best of luck!

I'm starting to lean on it being the fuel pump because modern cars tend to tell you (CEL/MIL) if it's a spark plug or EGR problem pretty early on.

paulo

Glad to hear someone else has the same problem. I have the same year EX w/o AWD. I bought the car new and this problem started about 18 months ago and only happens when I drive, park and drive again within an hour. Doesn't happen when engine is cold. I have to take my foot off the brake and rev engine to keep it going. I complained once to dealer but got no explanation. I'll complain again when I take it in for service. Kind of embarrassing when trying to start next to a Lexus or BMW. :{

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

I read here a tread about starting problems due to a sensor who's connector that is, only in the 2010 model, is not protected by a rubber sleeve. Humidity and water seeps in and corrodes the connector. I don't have the link handy as my iPad does not multitask well, but the issue was easily fix. Perhaps search for it as I can't really do so at this time.....if you find it, please post the link....

ralfp
Car: 2014 QX50

CDNicecube wrote:I read here a tread about starting problems due to a sensor who's connector that is, only in the 2010 model, is not protected by a rubber sleeve. Humidity and water seeps in and corrodes the connector. I don't have the link handy as my iPad does not multitask well, but the issue was easily fix. Perhaps search for it as I can't really do so at this time.....if you find it, please post the link....
Ask and ye shall receive:
ITB11-034 Service Campaign (link goes to another forum)

mk15

Good find!. I hope the newer cars have the sleeve. I live in a tropical country and humidity ruins a lot of stuff.

Tark
Car: 2004 G35x

Same issue... only when engine is warm. It's annoying as hell to have to Rev just to keep the car running and I feel like it's getting worse.

Same car ex35 2010 AWD. anyone figured this one out yet?

wysguymd

Still haven't resolved the problem after countless trips to the dealer. They finally had a tech from Infiniti come out and install a data recorder. Haven't taken it back yet since recorder was installed, but issue has not resolved.

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

wysguymd wrote:Still haven't resolved the problem after countless trips to the dealer. They finally had a tech from Infiniti come out and install a data recorder. Haven't taken it back yet since recorder was installed, but issue has not resolved.

Does it happen during startup (engine cold) or startup after driving the car ? (Engine warm)

Does it happen when the engine is already idling ?

I had issue with my 2008 EX35 stalling during the startup when engine has driven for a while. ( warm startup like going leaving the grocery etc.)

I did replaced the battery and it was still happening until I cleaned the throttle bodies and reset the idle computer sensor relearn. If this is the issue, the build up of gunk in between the throttle plates cause the throttle opening sensor to open a bit and readjust it's base settings (throwing off the normal idling of the car). When I cleaning the throttle bodies , do not flip open the throttle bodies just clean the side or edge of the throttle plats where the gunk builds up. Moving the plates will throw off the sensor permanently and needs to replace the whole throttle bodies.

http://www.altimaforums.net/idle-relear ... 9&p=409249

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”