SR20VET? Has it been done?

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
NISMOingen
Car: This isn't a hobby. It's an obsession.

Those pics are of a VE from a Primera.

I had a VET in the shop once. It does use a longitudinal transmission. (Sorry guys I know).

I've often dreamed about doing the VET in one of my B series cars, but never had the patience.

The VET varies turbo pressure along with all the nifty Valve and Ignition stuff too. What makes the VET so difficult is that the Neo-VVL uses a 3 dimensional map unlike the 2 dimensional map in the Primera NeoVVL. The primera uses RPM and Throttle position to determine lift, valve timing, and ignition timing. The VET adds in the 3rd dimension of enertial load. The VET is the worlds 1st "load-biased engine". There are pickups in the tranny that post signal to the ECU.

Using the X-Trail tranny is pretty much a necessity. I'm sure a FWD SR20VET hybrid could be done, but you are literally talking five digit numbers when it comes to the $.

Engine alone costs vary from $7-12k. (they only make a few hundred a year worldwide)

NISMOingen

It's actually a REALLY cool setup. Cruising on the highway @65mph it should only make around 170-180 HP to save gas.

Put the throttle to the floor from a standstill on a steep incline with lots of weight and BAM! The power of a Detroit V8 in your hands.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

NISMOingen wrote:Those pics are of a VE from a Primera.

I had a VET in the shop once. It does use a longitudinal transmission. (Sorry guys I know).

I've often dreamed about doing the VET in one of my B series cars, but never had the patience.

The VET varies turbo pressure along with all the nifty Valve and Ignition stuff too. What makes the VET so difficult is that the Neo-VVL uses a 3 dimensional map unlike the 2 dimensional map in the Primera NeoVVL. The primera uses RPM and Throttle position to determine lift, valve timing, and ignition timing. The VET adds in the 3rd dimension of enertial load. The VET is the worlds 1st "load-biased engine". There are pickups in the tranny that post signal to the ECU.

Using the X-Trail tranny is pretty much a necessity. I'm sure a FWD SR20VET hybrid could be done, but you are literally talking five digit numbers when it comes to the $.

Engine alone costs vary from $7-12k. (they only make a few hundred a year worldwide)

UM.......the Xtrail uses a transversly mounted SR20VET. Don't know what you are talking about. There's a pic of it on Nissan's website! http://www.nissan.co.jp/X-TRAI....html

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Oh, and just incase it is unclear in those pictures, here is more documentation backing up the fact that the Xtrail is either FWD or AWD depending on trim, which would mean transverly mounted engine (unless they did some weird Saab engineering, but I doubt it). http://www.nissan-global.com/E....html

NISMOingen

I suppose I could be incorrect, however there is nothing I can find in either of those websites that shows I am.

You are correct the alternate in FWD suggests a transversly mounted engine. Which, by inductive logic, one could reasonably expect all models to use the same.

Heres what I do know for certain. In the spring of last year I had a factory turbo-charged NeoVVL engine in the shop mounted to a factory longitudinal transmission. I know they were mated from the factory because we had to break the "corktar" seal when we separated the tranny.

God I do hope the SR20VET uses a transaxle. That makes the world a whole lot happier place. :)

I am Technoman
Car: ???

I wonder why Nissan in 99 did not use the NEO technology on the S15?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

NISMOingen wrote:I suppose I could be incorrect, however there is nothing I can find in either of those websites that shows I am.

You are correct the alternate in FWD suggests a transversly mounted engine. Which, by inductive logic, one could reasonably expect all models to use the same.

Heres what I do know for certain. In the spring of last year I had a factory turbo-charged NeoVVL engine in the shop mounted to a factory longitudinal transmission. I know they were mated from the factory because we had to break the "corktar" seal when we separated the tranny.

God I do hope the SR20VET uses a transaxle. That makes the world a whole lot happier place. :)

Factory SR20VET?? The SR20VET wasn't even out on the market until 2001.

[Zero-S]
Car: Tell me whats wrong with this picture. 3 240's, only one runs.

Umm buddy the SR20VET wouldn't fit in the 240SX because its transverse. Transverse=FWD or AWD but not RWD.

El_Presidente
Car: cars

I've never heard of anyone doing a VET swap, but I'd love to see it. The only think I could think of if you wanted, is you could get a sr20ve and do a custom turbo setup, get lower compression pistons and the VET cams. Like this guy (http://www.gonzonx.com/) did with his NX.

NISMOingen

I talked to the boys at the shop. I was mistaked. The engine we had was a NeoVVL head on an S15 bottom-end. It had a hand made turbo-manifold designed to make the factory DET heatshields to fit.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”