SR20 starting issues

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
S13difta
Car: White SR S13 vert!!!

i recently started have starting issues with the sr in my car first it would not start form the starter so i strait wired a signal to a start button to the starter and that fixed that problem now the walbro ive had for about a year is not kicking on when it receives power i check it with a multimeter when the car was set to ran and when the key was not in the ignition when it was set to run at the pump connector was show 9V of power and none when off like normal fuses were also good is there any way a walbro can die in a year of just normal use?

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

It's possible for the walbro to go bad, although I've had mine for going on 8 years now and it runs strong.

But, you should be getting more voltage than that at the pump. Last time I checked, it should be between 10.5-11v with all the loss between the fuse box and the pump.

S13difta

alright thanks even if it is out lucky they aren't much to replace well im gonna keep looking thru the car to see if there is maybe drawing power away for the pump. by any chance do you know which side the chassis harness runs to the front of the car?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Driver's side

Lobo240sx
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe SR2.35DET Redtop Build

Could be your fuel pump. You can test it several ways as mentioned above. Carefully take the gas hose off the intake and test it. Depressurize the fuel system first. Unplug fuel pump/fuse and start car until pressure goes down! Use a container that will hold gas preferably a gas can. Put the hose in the gas can. You may need someone to help you turn the key in on position only. Do not try to start the car. Is the gas coming out hardcore or is it trickling?

I've gone thru 4 Walbros since 2003. (Showing my Age ;) ) At one time they had a bad batch of them around 2003-2006?

Everything is wired up right, I made sure 1/4 tank was in the gas tank at all times AFTER the 1st one.
They have a newer one that has a bigger Strainer Sock. You might have to modify it a little, the rubber on the canister doesn't line up perfect. I slowly shaved some of it off until it fit snug.

Be sure to get that one and NOT the one with the small sock. Those are the ones people have been having problems with. Or get a 300TT/Supra one much more efficient and they seem to last a lot longer. Hope this helps. :)

S13difta

well right now the pump isnt even whining at all like it normaly does and when i took the pump out at first a few days there was barely any fuel in the lines so im gona trace the fuel pump wires fist then double check the pump cuz like i said above right now its only geting 9v but that might be aslo that i set up the mulmeter wrong i set it to 12v cuz that was what made sense

S13difta

still haven't had a chance to pull the pump but is there a thread that is about more in depth on wiring for the fuel pump so i can find out what each wire is affecting what?

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Get the service manual. Link's in the FAQ

PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

Easiest, most reliable, option would be to hard wire the pump itself. (It'll still use the factory relay.)

how-to-240sx-hardwire-fuel-pump-t545598.html <- hardwiring the fuel pump. Link was also in the FAQ

S13difta

Its been a while since i've updated progress with this post. since the last post of mine i've replace the engine harness and strait wired the fuel pump to a switch what is what i thought was the problem but to no affect after i strait wired the fuel pump it does work so i know it wasn't that then i checked and found my ecu was getting no power so i both bought a wiring specialties harness and check to see if my ecu would start another sr which it did so its something with my wiring harness but not the new one maybe this is the egi problem but i've also heard from a friend a bad coolant temperature sensor can do some crazy stuff so i got one of those is there a way to fix the egi problem easily?

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”