sr installed, but not alive...help!!!

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
leroiboy
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX Coupe

setup: 89 coupe with sr20det redtop. all stock except fmic,bov,bc,walbro fp.

problem:just got everything(as far as i know)hooked up tonight and i get NOTHING when key is turned on or trying to start. all i get is clicking coming from both of the fuse boxes under the hood from the relays. what the heck in the heck in the heck is this?!? all wiring seems to be correct, but obviously something is not.is there any less-obvious things i may have forgotten about. the battery is brand new and fully charged. i will get a video posted up a little later just incase you may want to hear the clicking that is definately coming from the relays. please help me everyone, i searched but am not finding this problem or the solution to it. i will try to provide more detail tommorrow when i get back to it-i've been on this thing for like 19 hrs today and it's now 2:50 a.m. eastern time. thanks in advance

IDriveFords
Car: 93' Nissan 240sx

check your starter wiring. The starter will make a very rapid clicking noise if its not working properly or if its not getting enough juice. If your wiring is right and your starter and battery are good you should at least get some reqponse out of the starter if nothing else.

leroiboy

ok, i took a look at the starter. all that i have connected is one wire bolted on by a nut. are there supposed to be more wires?? where would they come from if so because i dont see any. it looks like anoter bolt/nut to put something on and there is also a male prong that looks like something goes on there. please help, thanks

leroiboy

ok, i checked all of my wiring over again-everything seems to check out(except for the starter-don't know what/if any other wires go to it and would that cause this problem). i am getting 12V all places that im supposed to. ignitor,coil packs,both fuse boxes-all 12V. However,after turning the key for awhile, the EGI relay on the passenger side fusebox and the ACC relay on the drivers side fuse box become warm-i don't know if this is normal from me turning the key or if this is a sign of something. My headlights work,horn works,flashers/turn signals work,heater works. I don't know what to do next-what could POSSIBLY be the culprit?? Please help me someone

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

redtop91

Ouiton you motor will need 3 things to start: fuel, ignition, air. The most common problem is the fuel pump not being wired properly (If you went aftermarket), No spark, or MAF issues. Verify all the wired connections are tight in the engine bay. For some reason my computer won't let me watch the vid so I'll check it out at work and give more specific advice.

dompower
Car: S13 Vert Sr20det Blacktop

Have you done a At/Mt swap?When you jump the wire to make your neutral switch to be "neutral", maybe you've took Starter and Alternator one... when you look in a "How to do" book, it may be confusing. It can be a solution... I had this problem...

redtop91

Bump. Check the vid people. That is his SR doing what he described. I can't see it yet so someone take a look at it.

dompower
Car: S13 Vert Sr20det Blacktop

or you can jump your starter, if you know how... but its hard to explain...all you need is a wire or a screwdriver, jump pole on your starter and ground it... it may spark alot...

I don't know hhow to explain better... sorry...

you starter can also be jammed.... have you verify it before to buy your engine?

S13FASTBACKSR
Car: '92 Fastback SR powered

The problem is your starter. The male prong you speak of is supposed to have a wire with a female prong to slide over it. Plain and simple, find that prong hook it up and your SR will come to life..unless you have more problems

nissanrcer240
Car: Cars, Girls,Basketball

leroiboy wrote:ok, i took a look at the starter. all that i have connected is one wire bolted on by a nut. are there supposed to be more wires?? where would they come from if so because i dont see any. it looks like anoter bolt/nut to put something on and there is also a male prong that looks like something goes on there. please help, thanks
The starter should also have groung, its like a steak on wire. If all you have is one wire going to it then your missing one.

leroiboy

hey ryon thanks alot man. ok, this is what i found: i found the female ground wire for the starter and connected it-engine now turns over but does not start. i checked all four coil packs and they all fire and also have 12v in on position. i discovered i have no fuel coming up and am about to see what i did wrong there. what could i have wired wrong?- because yes, i installed a walbro 255 fuel pump. also, my wipers and gauge cluster does not work-what could this be if not a fuse under the dash(have not checked this out yet)? thanks and i'll let you all know what happens

xpicer
Car: 1990 nissan 240sx

You are misssin cable on the starter please take a pic of the starter cables THNX.

redtop91

Ouiton, the pump install is straight forward but easy to forget a connection. It hooks up almost exactly like stock.

leroiboy

alright, i have no power going in or out of the harness for the fuel pump in the trunk. the fuse is good in the fuse box under the hood, but there is no power at its location. now, what is the deal with this?

chicos240
Car: 1995 240 SX

Going from your earlier post that your Gauges are not responding, and now there is no power at the fuel pump connector. But you say the fuse is good, sounds like a bad wiring job on the ECU. I would look there, mine is an s14, so I cant tell you exactly where to look but you can search for the wiring pin out.

leroiboy

did a search on s13 sr ecu pinouts and only found one

zerothread?id=218689

this doesnt tell me anything about fuel pump. is there another one out there? also, anyone else have ideas to this electrical gremlin?

chicos240

redtop91

That isn't the problem.

chicos240

Well, it was a suggestion...tell us what the problem is

redtop91

Well I should rephrase. I believe he had the wiring harness done by a company. I'd say that wiring of the harness will be the last thing to check. He mentioned something about his fuel pump. Once he gets back online we'll find more specifics.

leroiboy

as far as i can see(been scrutinizing wiring all day) the wiring does not SEEM to be the problem. there is still no power going to the fuel pump. i hot wired it though and it still did not start, meaning maybe the injectors are not working??-so would this indicate that IT IS indeed something wrong with the wiring?

redtop91

When you flip the ignition to "ON" does the fuel pump prime?

leroiboy

no, nothing at all.

redtop91

There would be your problem sir. Time to pull out the pump and redo.

leroiboy

i had it pulled out-i had the black connected to black and the red connected to the red. there are only two wires, right? however, there is no power even travelling back to the pump/wires in the trunk.

redtop91

So it is past just clicking now? Send me a vid of what it is doing now and I'll upload that. Yes there are only two wires for the fuel pump if they are both connected, that fuel pump might be dead. Is it brand new?

leroiboy

yea its turning over now. fuel pump is brand new and DOES work. all coil pack fire and injectors work(mechanically tested), but the ecu must not be telling them to fire?? im sending you the video now

redtop91

Do you have any way of checking fuel pressure?

leroiboy

no, dont have the fpr adaptor to install my aftermarket fpr yet. but when i took the line off it looked like pretty good pressure to me...

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”