SR battery relocation Qs

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
Danny240
Car: 91 240 hatch

**Before i start with my questions i'll just let you guys know that Yes i have searched and found a lot of helpful information on how to relocate your battery on this site and others. My questions are pertaining to my car specifically, although its not really different from other cars in relocation write ups i had a few specific questions on some of the how to process.**

So my SR swap is in and is running great. My only problem is the battery doesn't clear for the hood to be closed all the way down so a relocation would solve my problem(since I'm running IC piping as well). My main question is the ground that comes off of the intake manifold. With the battery in the back how can i ground that? It runs right to the negative terminal on the battery but in searching other write ups i have not seen that covered. Also, on my positive side(still setup for use in the engine bay) i have 3 wires coming from my fuse box that are clamped onto my terminal along with the starter and alternator. What is the best way to tie those wires in with the starter and alternator since they are of smaller gauge? I've seen use of distribution boxes but was a little unclear on the use and how I can make that all tie in from write ups that didn't cover to much on that item. If anyone needs pics let me know.

S13sil40
Car: '90 Sil40 hatch

I have the same setup that you are lookin for. The ground from the intake, I bolted to the body near where the battery was, not a big deal. make sure you sand or grind the paint so you have raw metal to ground to. Then prime seal and paint lightly around it so you dont have problems in the future. Do the same for the battery ground in the back, I grounded right to the strut. As for the 3 hot wires in the engine bay, I used a 3 to 1 barrel fused distribution block. The only problem I ever had, was not sanding my strut (at first) where I grounded the battery. I would turn the key on, have power, as soon as i tried to start, I lost all power until I tapped the ground with a hammer. I'll go take some pics and post em here. Good luck!

S13sil40

Its a "Lightning Audio"

Danny240
Car: 91 240 hatch

Thanks! I'll keep all that in mind when I do the relocation. Did you use a fuse for the battery in your line?

S13sil40

Danny240 wrote:Thanks! I'll keep all that in mind when I do the relocation. Did you use a fuse for the battery in your line?
I didn't, but you can. I haven't had any problems in 3 years with this setup.

Morph
Car: 91 Sr Powered Coupe

Danny240 wrote:Thanks! I'll keep all that in mind when I do the relocation. Did you use a fuse for the battery in your line?
Check this post guy has a circuit breaker that you could use.

Its the first link on the first post.

battery-relocation-tips-t536024.html

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”