[11+ Y51 M/Q70] SoulFunction Front Strut Bar Group Buy

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
EdBwoy

wideopn11 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:46 pm
Hmm. (Understanding this is not the final product) but am I seeing this right? Does the bracket only connect to 2 bolts instead of all 3? Strange choice as the bottom part of the bracket doesn't really need to be reinvented; just the top to give you guys extra clearance over the engine cover. I kinda question the usefulness of only connecting to 2 bolts and elevating the anchor points like that. I'm no engineer but in my opinion the only part that needed to be fabricated for the V8 guys is the bar in the middle; not the brackets. :gotme Not trying to be Debbie Downer or anything just thinking out loud.
I want to preface my response by saying that I am not affiliated with the sellers in any way, and wasn't planning to buy a strut bar for my M. However, I can give fairly educated responses to some of the concerns you raised.

On the subject of 2 bolts,
it's not really a detriment to what the strut bar does. With a strong enough bolt and the bracket torqued properly, then it's friction that keeps the bracket in place on the strut tower (Kinda like the physics behind mounting a wheel onto a hub, except with much less force)... and if the bracket is built strong enough, then a minimal number of bolts will be needed to keep it flush. So for ease of manufacturing, if you can design a bracket sturdy enough to not need 3 or 4 fasteners, then you can get away with even 1. In practice, not really though. You need 2; one could act as a pivot but you need a 2nd object to act as stopper.
Plus, fewer bolt holes = fewer parts to precision manufacture = fewer headaches in installation. :bigthumb:
As an example, my 03 M45 (with a MacPherson strut suspension) came with a factory mounted strut bar which was somewhat like this in principle. A C-shaped bracket attached to only 2 strut bolts... then the bar attached to that one bracket by a single bolt. You'll see the whole assembly is then triangulated to the firewall. Pics at the bottom

As for the height,
generally shorter is better. Best example I can say is look at a dining table. You and a buddy on opposite ends are trying to push it towards each other (compression) then pull it away from each other (tension).
  • Grab it by the tabletop, lift the table off the floor and push/pull with all your might - this is like a bar that is basically flush with the strut tower.
  • Now put it down and grab the bottom of the legs to lift it up then push/pull with all your might - this is like having a tall bracket. Now the table legs and joints need to be strong enough to be able to transfer the forces without bending or breaking.
ETA: That's why some bars are made with that rainbow profile to clear the engine rather than a straight bar with tall brackets to lift it.

Of course, there are concessions to be made, depending on how the entire system of structure and suspension has been engineered.
After all that, I'd like to say no worries. I doubt this item will see any considerable forces. Our chassis is plenty rigid.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Sounded like from the email there brackets will be 2 pieces that interlock.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Recent update:
Soul Function wrote: Hello and Happy Holidays!

Hopefully everyone is done Christmas shopping and can relax and finally enjoy the holidays. Here's a quick update on where we're at with the Y51 Front Strut Tower Bar Project:

V8 Update - As you may have heard, we have been running into issues with the hood/engine cover clearance. Infiniti really didn't leave us a whole lot of space after stuffing in that gigantic engine. Our first prototype bar had a 3 cm clearance between the engine cover, but ended up 1 cm too tall for the hood to close completely flush with the body. We then modified the jig so the whole thing could sit about 1.5 cm lower. We've made multiple variations of the bracket and bar. I'm happy to say that the latest version should address all of the hood clearance concerns and we will be testing the prototype in the next 2 weeks. Production will follow shortly after.

V6 Update - We've made a number of prototypes on the passenger side bracket design. However, with our latest version, you can see from the image below the bracket is pressing into the intake tube. This made installing it a giant pain and is a design that we cannot accept in the product we're sending out. (This issue does not apply to V8 models).

To fix this, we've created another new bracket design that will leave plenty of space and clearance, helpful for the guys with aftermarket intakes.

You can see the difference in this overlay here.

To wrap things up - we know it sucks to wait forever on a single part to be delivered and we are extremely grateful to everyone for showing us support and patience throughout this project.

We're scheduled with our local V6 volunteer for one last test fit before we finalize this design. Barring additional setbacks, our current estimate for delivery on both models is the end of January.

We are very aware that we are behind schedule, but we WILL see this to completion. If anyone is tired of waiting and wants to end their participation in the group buy, please let us know and we will be more than happy to provide a full refund of your deposit.

Thanks
Andy

biggie

The wait is driving me just slightly crazy. :)

jmissile
Car: 2011 m56s

Tic toc tic tock....

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I just shot them an email...

ssmrico
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37S

nice we shall see

Ilya

This was their response a few days ago:
Due to some scheduling conflicts with our test vehicles - we'll finally have another test session today with our V6 guy. V8 is scheduled for next week.

Will let you know soon how it goes!

DoN_BLaZe34
Car: 2007 M45 Sport - Sold
2006 FX45 - Traded
2014 Q70S 5.6 - Sold
2017 Q70L 5.6 - Current

Hey Guys,

Hope the new year is treating everyone well! After a few weeks of scheduling conflicts, we just completed a series of test fitting on local Y51 V6 and V8 models.

​V8 Update - The latest prototype clears the hood with ease. However, in order to do this, the bar will rest on your engine cover. Due to the tight clearance, this is the only way we can ensure your hood will close flush with the body. This will not affect the performance of the strut bar. For those of you who will be installing this with the engine cover, we will be applying rubber padding to protect the powder coating on the bottom of the bar. Production will begin shortly!

V6 Update - We are making small adjustments to the new passenger bracket to minimize the warping from welding and ensure there is enough tolerance during installation. We have confirmed the new design no longer interferes with the intake hose.

​​We are very close to complete! Test fits of the final revisions for the V6 are being scheduled and we expect to confirm fitment by next month at which point production will begin.

Again, we are extremely grateful to everyone for showing us their ongoing support and patience. We've invested a lot of time and resources in this project and even though this has gone a lot longer than anticipated, we stand by our promise to deliver exceptional product. As mentioned before, if anyone is tired of waiting and wants to end their participation in the group buy, please let us know and we will be more than happy to provide a full refund of your deposit.

Thank you
Andy

biggie

Sad it will hit hit cover. Oh well.

Ilya

I think the rubber 'grommet' of sorts will be fine...if not I'll add something else in there...

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

biggie wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 am
It's a very tight space between the engine cover and the hood lining. Is there any downside of the strut bar sitting on the engine cover?

biggie

CRV_33 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:52 am
biggie wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:40 am
It's a very tight space between the engine cover and the hood lining. Is there any downside of the strut bar sitting on the engine cover?
Just the possible rubbing and ruining the engine cover to me.

jmissile

Anyone know if the engine cover for the 2014-2017 q70 will work on my 2011? Was thinking of getting one as a spare because im not sure if the engine flexing under load is gonna cosmetically screw my mint cover up...

Ilya

jmissile wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 pm
Anyone know if the engine cover for the 2014-2017 q70 will work on my 2011? Was thinking of getting one as a spare because im not sure if the engine flexing under load is gonna cosmetically screw my mint cover up...
Should be identical.

CRV_33

biggie wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:32 am
CRV_33 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:52 am

Just the possible rubbing and ruining the engine cover to me.
That's definitely a concern Soul Function identified, that's why they are going to include rubber padding to not only protect the powdercoat of the bar, but it's also to help preserve the engine cover as well.

al3x3y
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70L 5.6

I’m still waiting for the damn thing to hit the market.
I spoke to them for a while and they said it’s coming out soon but never got a chance to buy one.
My Q70L needs some better handling parts

Ilya

FYI:

They have run into production issues despite the design being finalized.

Group Buy is effectively cancelled and all who put down a deposit will get a refund, starting tomorrow and in the coming days. If and when they release the product, those who deposited money earlier will still get the previously agreed upon price.

Sucks...

biggie

Sucks greatly.

EdBwoy

Sooooo, not to assume anything, but what's good for the gander should be good for the goose, right?
If someone were to make a strut bar for the V8, then it would fit the V6 as well; correct?

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Can't say I'm surprised...this does suck for you V8 guys though. The Cusco brackets fit just fine; all you guys need is more arc in the bar to clear the engine. This should be much simpler than it's turning out to be. They shouldn't be wasting time reinventing the brackets.

Ilya

Whether or not the issues are simple or complex, I will say this: SoulFunction is a great company who has good customer service.

They issued the refunds but mine went to a card that was closed recently due to fraud. I made SF aware of that and they paypal'ed me the refund instead without much question. Honest guys and I wish them the absolute best of luck in getting this resolved so that they still release a product to market.

austin713
Car: 2011 M37

damn this sucks, i had been following this thread for a while hoping for a stiffer solution. no other word on any other companies making these for our Ms?

CRV_33

wideopn11 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:06 pm
Can't say I'm surprised...this does suck for you V8 guys though. The Cusco brackets fit just fine; all you guys need is more arc in the bar to clear the engine. This should be much simpler than it's turning out to be. They shouldn't be wasting time reinventing the brackets.
ok what do you suggest?

**And for the record the bracket redesign was solely in regards to the V6 not the V8.**

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

My suggestion would be to use the existing design of the Cusco or GTSpec brackets and focus on the bar only. From everything I've seen the bar just needs to be raised, reshaped to clear the v8.

CRV_33

Easy solution, get GTspec and Cusco onboard to make it happen for the V8.

jmissile

Should still give us the free hat and stickers jus sayin

Big_Tone
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x (White w Java interior; Tech Pkg)
PPE Headers; HPS Intake
Custom 2 1/4” exhaust with Jones Exhaust X-Pipe
Infiniti Sport mufflers

I'm definitely bummed, but glad they saw there were challenges and issued refunds. Hopefully they'll get it worked out and produce the bars. I'll still buy from them.

616InfinitiQ70S
Car: Infiniti Q70S

Dang, I am pretty bummed to hear this.
I would definitely buy a Soul Function strut bar if they ever decide to produce it. I am hopeful they can get it onto market for both the 3.7 and 5.6.

al3x3y
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70L 5.6

A total bummer!
Hopefully SF finds a solution and gets it realeased.
Spoke to them a couple of times and they are supper nice guys and passionate about what they do.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”