Share your favorite recipes with NICO! Official NICO Good Food Thread.

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

By request, this is the official NICO recipes sticky. Post 'em up!

Feel free to leave feedback and discuss, but I'm going to make an effort to keep this thread as easy to navigate as possible, so don't be surprised if non-recipe posts disappear from time to time.

krimsonviper
Car: 2010 MS3 -PAID
2010 Mazda 3i Touring -Totaled
2006 Mazda 3i Sport -Totaled
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

krimsonviper
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

How could I forget the thread that got this sticky in the first place?

zerothread?id=409394

gammer_ghn

lol Mf doom wants another custom title. lol i want a custom title pweese lol make mine a sticky i want the glory i already did 3 writeups on good food pleeseeee = ]. yay for me.

qat727

I developed this a while back as a way to clear out old chicken breasts from the deep freeze. I liked it enough that I've made it multiple times.

Chicken and rice casserole:

Ingredients:

4-6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, depending on size. 1 can cream of chicken soup1 can cream of celery soup1 can worth of sour creamHungarian paprikablack peppergarlic powder2 small or 1 large pack Mahatma saffron riceRitz crackersshredded Cheddar cheese

Directions: Boil chicken breasts until mostly cooked. Remove from water and cool. Shred or pull the breasts. While shredding, start the rice to cooking. In a large bowl, combine cans of soup and sour cream. Add a pinch or two of garlic powder, a few dashes of black pepper, and between a teaspoon and a tablespoon of paprika, depending on taste. Add shredded chicken and stir. Before the rice has cooked all the way, remove it from heat and place it in a greased 9x13" pan in an even layer. Add chicken mixture over the rice. Combine Ritz crackers, a handful of shredded cheddar, and some black pepper in a plastic bag. Crush crackers and mix ingredients. Layer mixture over chicken in pan. Cook in a preheated oven at 350*F until rice and chicken are through cooking, usually until the cheese is melted and it bubbles through the top. About a half hour to an hour and a half, depending on how cool you let everything get when you were assembling it.

I may add some more recipes later. I've just had a jones for this stuff and haven't made it lately.

krimsonviper
1989 S13 -Sold
1990 S13 -Sold

^ That sounds delicious. I'd like to try that one day.

Not a recipe for food, but I thought it'd be nice to share some drinks from other countries.zer...-soda

RiceRocketGal
Car: 2008 Nissan Sentra S

Wash some whole potatoes and cut them into chunks leaving the skin on. Cut a few onions into chunks leaving the skin on. Cut up about a stick of butter or margarine (actually margarine is better for this) and put them all in a casserole dish together. Sprinkle in lots of your favorite seasonings (garlic is a must). Stick them in the over for about an hour... that's it.

Mmmm

Another one... for easy grilling.

Cut up some of your favorite meats... (I put beef, chicken, shrimp, and pork all together) cut up some veggies you like... (onions and potatoes are a unless you just hate onions) put it all in a bowl and mix it well with your hands. Add seasonings you like. Place handfuls of the mixture onto aluminum foil and seal the foil to make a closed pouch around the mixture. Throw the pouches on a hot bbq grill for a couple hours while you drink beer and lie to your friends about your sex life. Take them off and open them and eat up! Some people (men) usually eat them straight our of the pouch but ya may wanna empty the pouches onto plates. Make at least one pouch for each person. If they are small pouches... make 2.

RiceRocketGal
Car: 2008 Nissan Sentra S

Wash some whole potatoes and cut them into chunks leaving the skin on. Cut a few onions into chunks leaving the skin on. Cut up about a stick of butter or margarine (actually margarine is better for this) and put them all in a casserole dish together. Sprinkle in lots of your favorite seasonings (garlic is a must). Stick them in the over for about an hour... that's it.

Mmmm

Another one... for easy grilling.

Cut up some of your favorite meats... (I put beef, chicken, shrimp, and pork all together) cut up some veggies you like... (onions and potatoes are a unless you just hate onions) put it all in a bowl and mix it well with your hands. Add seasonings you like. Place handfuls of the mixture onto aluminum foil and seal the foil to make a closed pouch around the mixture. Throw the pouches on a hot bbq grill for a couple hours while you drink beer and lie to your friends about your sex life. Take them off and open them and eat up! Some people (men) usually eat them straight our of the pouch but ya may wanna empty the pouches onto plates. Make at least one pouch for each person. If they are small pouches... make 2.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I fix very easy variations of beer-can chicken all the time.

Preheat oven to 350*Remove innards from a whole chicken and rinse the bird inside and out.Season the bird inside and out with whatever rub, seasoning or marinade you want.Pop the top of a 12 oz. can of Kerns fruit nectar (favorites around here are the peach and the apricot flavors), pour out 1/3 to 1/2 the liquid into a cup, use a church key opener to punch 2 or 3 more openings in the top of the can.Add 1 tsp. Wright's liquid smoke to the can.Lower the chicken onto the can, inserting the can into the opening and forming a tripod using the can and two legs to stand the chicken vertically in a roasting pan or baking dish.Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hrs.

The chicken comes out incredibly moist and flavorful.

I experiment all the time with it, using fruit juices, canned sodas and beer. Any flavor or combination of flavors works. The only real caveat is that you don't use any diet drinks because the chicken picks up a chemical taste from the artificial sweeteners.

Additionally, places like Bed, Bath and Beyond, Target and Wal-Mart sell little stands that the can fits into and you just slide the chicken on to. Using the stand, the chicken can't tip over.

Easy and people love it!

TBrack
Car: none

Well I own a catering business so I'll post up some of the best recipes once and a while...

Brackin Champ (my Irish family's recipe for traditional mashed potatoes)

5 lbs Gold Skinned Potatoes (yukon gold is good)6 Scallions1 Tbl Fresh Chives1 pt Heavy Cream1 stick of real cream unsalted butter

Slice scallions, chop chives, and set aside. Skin the potatoes, cut into cubes, and boil until cooked. While potatoes are cooking simmer the heavy cream and add scallions. Cook scallions in cream for about 2 minutes, the goal is to take away the strong smell of the scallion. Rough mash the potatoes so as to give them lots of texture and not smooth. Mix in the heavy cream and scallions slowly until you get a creamy mix but not runny. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve in a bowl and make a crater with a spoon in the middle of the mash. Cut a hearty chunk of butter and place in the crater.

Serves 6 people

The traditional Irish way to eat this is to eat from the outside inward, dipping the potatoes in the melted butter with each bite. Can't go wrong with this recipe and it tastes nothing like your regular mashed potatoes.

Cheers and happy eating from the Brackin family!
Modified by TBrack at 6:59 PM 11/8/2009

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Jalapeno Infused Vinegar:

I love to marinade 1/2lb cubed steak in about 1/3 cup of this stuff along with some kosher salt, but uses are plenty.

On the 4th of July (2009) my buddy gave me about 1 1/2 lbs of homegrown jalapenos. I wanted to preserve them for later use.

I boiled them whole until they were tender. Then I put the peppers into a big foodservice olive jar. Thirdly, I poured undiluted plain white vinegar over them, filling the jar. Into the fridge they went.

All went very well, and the peppers persevered. But after a few months I noticed them getting softer and more broken down, although fully intact. They were infusing into the vinegar, and it was that which I begun to use. The undiluted vinegar is so strong that it is really doing a number on the peppers and thier crisp texture is basically f***ed.

It is going on 6 months, and the vinegar is mature and delicious. It has a bite to it, and is best used in small amounts as a direct dip of food into this stuff is potent in a vinegar like way, but not overbearingly hot.
Modified by seang at 11:31 PM 12/23/2009

drksolest
Car: 91 240sx coupe

Pork Chops with Mustard sauce (last nights dinner)

boneless pork chops 3/4 inch thick (put in freezer bag with...)rosemarygarlic (pressed or powder) don't want burnt garlic, it's bittersaltpeppersageolive oil

Let sit while chopping veggiescut 1/2 moons of:zucchinisquash

slice:mushroomsonions

Hot pan (med heat) with olive oil n' butter add chops, 3 min then flip, 3 min take off let rest

add veggies to same pan n let veggies sweat with salt n pepper till onions r done

add to veggies: splash of white wineWhole grain mustard about 1/2 cup1 1/2 cup stock (i used beef)another pressed garlic... bring to boil

add cream (till it looks light yellow)simmer 10 min... add meat (to sauce) n' simmer 5 min.

DONE! gud!

did mine with side baked potato...

Modified by drksolest at 5:07 PM 1/13/2010

TBrack
Car: none

mmm that sounds great, you still need to show me some japanese cooking some time

drksolest

well come on over! I think tuesday we r gonna do tonkatsu!

Ghostdrifter88
Car: 2017 Taco

Anyone ever been to Benihana'sWell instead of spending $100 for 2 people to have a "snack" and a pretty good show, you can have there delicious shrimp at home.Took a couple trys to get it right but i think i got it right.Now, i dont have exact measurments but ill describe what i use to get the amount.I use: 1 bag of shrimp. jumbo is bestfor about 10 shrimp i use 3/4 spoonful of butter.couple good shakes of garlic powderhalf a lemons juicecouple shakes of salt.Directions, small pan over medium flame. i have a gas stove. put shrimp in pan, however many can fit. pour all ingredients over shrimp and stir. i usually keep stirring until lemon and butter are gone.ENJOY.Tweek the recipe however you like. Mine is pretty lemony. but its how i like it.

drksolest

Soft Pretzels (foodnetwork recipe) (i don't usually bake) * 1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water * 1 tablespoon sugar * 2 teaspoons kosher salt * 1 package active dry yeast * 22 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 4 1/2 cups * 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted * Vegetable oil, for pan * 10 cups water * 2/3 cup baking soda * 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water * Sea salt

Combine the water, sugar and kosher salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and sprinkle the yeast on top. Allow to sit for 5 minutes or until the mixture begins to foam. Add the flour and butter and, using the dough hook attachment, mix on low speed until well combined. Change to medium speed and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the side of the bowl, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the dough from the bowl, clean the bowl and then oil it well with vegetable oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and sit in a warm place for approximately 50 to 55 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and lightly brush with the vegetable oil. Set aside.

Bring the 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in an 8-quart saucepan or roasting pan.

In the meantime, turn the dough out onto a slightly oiled work surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the ends of the rope, cross them over each other and press onto the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place onto the parchment-lined half sheet pan.

Place the pretzels into the boiling water, 1 by 1, for 30 seconds. Remove them from the water using a large flat spatula. Return to the half sheet pan, brush the top of each pretzel with the beaten egg yolk and water mixture and sprinkle with the pretzel salt. Bake until dark golden brown in color, approximately 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes before serving.Turned out great.... made it with a queso dip

1/2 onion grated2 jalapeños chopped fine

on med/low heat cook till softadd some flourcook for few minadd white wine (splash)add heavy cream (some... i don't measure usually)some chicken stock...simmer till 1/2then add grated cheeses till smooth n' creamy. I added smoked Gouda, pepper jack, and cheddar.

garlic a bowl down (i used fondue pot), and keep warm.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Telcomans chicken soup

This is especially good when dealing with this.

4- 5 lbs chicken2 onions cut upcelerydillparsleyparsnipscallonsleakscarrotsherb ox chicken bouillon cubes (3-4)george washingtons golden seasoning 2-3 packetsa little salt2 cups of water per pound of chicken

Place cut up chicken in huge pot of cold water. Add chopped up vegatibles and seasonings.bring to a boil then lower heat and cover. Simmer for four hours.I usually only do this in winter time as I put the hot soup outside to cool for 24 hours.The fat from the chicken will rise and you can then skim it offReheat and strain out chicken and vegtables for clear chicken soup.

Telcoman

Modified by telcoman at 4:32 PM 4/4/2010
Modified by telcoman at 4:34 PM 4/4/2010

drksolest

Strawberry peach cobbler

cut n' cook strawberries and pealed peaches in 1/2 cup of sugar and a bit of water.

1.5 cups of milk
1.5 cups of self rising flour
1 cup of water
MIX together

melt 1 stick of butter and place in bowl (or whatever u r cooking in)
put MIX in bowl but do not stir the butter with it just pour it in over the butter
gently add syrup with the fruit in and again DO NOT STIR!

cook at 350 for 30-45 min till the top is brown.

Cream Cheese Puff Pastry

1tbl spoon vanilla
1 pack of cream cheese (room temp)
1 egg
1/3 to a half, cup of sugar... mix together

thaw puff pastry (comes 2 sheets in pack)
cut 4 squares out of both sheets
add 2 tbl spoons of mix to center of 4 squares
dab edges with water and place other squares on top (fork edges to keep together)
prick top to allow steam to exit
place on parchment paper or however u spell it

cook 350, 30min or till brown... drizzle extra filling on top n bake again for 10 min or till melted..

drksolest

well I haven't made anything all that interesting lately...
ANYONE ELSE MAKE ANYTHING KOOL OR HAVE RECIPES TO SHARE?

BWG
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa SL
2009 Nissan Versa S (Totaled)

NACHO DIP FOR MANLY MEN

1 lb zesty sausauge
1 lb ground meat
Brown in a saucepan.

Get your crock pot out.

Put 1 can cream of celery, cream of chicken, and cream of cheddar
1 block of velveta (large)
Couple tablespoons of salsa.
Insert meat.
Heat and stir. Use Frito Scoops.

This is even better when you re-heat it. Add a little milk when you do.

drksolest

^that sounds good and easy. I'll try that next time our son has friends over.

jem003

PHILIPPINE DELICACY (CHICKEN ADOBO)

3 pounds skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 head garlic, crushed
8 whole peppercorns, crushed

Wash chicken. Cut chicken into serving pieces. Add vinegar to chicken in 4 quart saucepan. Add soy sauce and rest of ingredients. Do not stir chicken until it has started to boil. Cover and simmer chicken till cooked, approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Add water, if necessary. Remove chicken. Fry some garlic in butter. When browned, add chicken without liquid. Fry till browned. Add liquid and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

drksolest

idungetit. Pic looks like quartered chicken... u say skinless breast? the bone in, skin on chkn looks awesome.

My usual (OVEN, quartered chkn)

a squeeze of honey
a hunk of brown sugar
dash of soy sauce
a she3t load of teriyaki sauce
4 large cloves of garlic (pressed)
large dash of powdered ginger (i don't usually have fresh)
2 (3 1/2 pound) chickens, quartered, with backs removed

Add all of it together. Arrange the chicken in 1 layer in a shallow baking pan, skin side down, and pour on the sauce, cover and marinate overnight in the refrigerator (turn 2 times so ends up still with skin side down).

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan, turn the chicken skin side up, and raise the temperature to 375 degrees F. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh and the sauce is a rich, dark brown.

This is based from this link, but changed to fit my family's taste:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... index.html

bgirl_sway
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX

Ahh. I love a man who knows how to cook!

@Telcoman: That soup looks fabulous on a winter day. I wish we got snow here. Our weather is like a girl's mood on her menstrual cycle. Unpredictable.

carloslebaron
Car: 95 Nissan pickup XE

I can't eat much outside, I love Mexican food but my stomach can't handle it, I love well seasoned food from restaurants but after enjoying such a good taste I feel full until next day...so, I must eat home made food and watch what I put in it.

Amazingly, I can go to Chinese buffets and had no problems digesting them. Still, I have tried to make my own recipe.

1-Chicken breast or tights
2-Eggs
3-Chinese onion
4-Hotdogs
5-Rice

I will use the portions for 6 to 8 people.
The order of the cooking won't change the result of this plate.
Have a big pot where all the ingredients will fill it up when they are done.

Cook the rice. 2 cups of rice and four cups of water added. About 1/2 tablespoon of salt and a sip of cooking oil added and heat full flame until the water is not seen over the surface, after that cover the pot and put the heat at its lowest for about 10 minutes.

Take the skin out of the chicken. Boil the chicken -one of those flat boxes with 4 pieces of breast or 8-10 pieces of tights- in a pot with water barely covering the meat. Add salt to the taste. When the chicken is done, separate the meat from the bones, and cut the chicken in 1" square pieces.

Fry 6 to 8 eggs scrambled, also add salt to the taste. When the big egg tortilla is done, cut it in small pieces 1/2" to 1" size square.

Cut 1 or 2 bundle of Chinese onion -the onion that has a long green tail, (it looks like a sperm if you want a better picture of it)- in 1/4" to 1/2" size. Don't use the "hairy" part of the head of this onion, cut it off but use the rest of the whole white part together with the green tail.

Cut the hotdog (I use Kosher) in pieces like coins, and fry it both sides. (Notice- don't fry the whole package if this dish will be served again later on. The best way to serve it is with the hotdog fresh fried right before serving this plate. If you storage this dish with the fried hotdog in the refrigerator to be served later, the hotdog will release its fat in that way that the plate will taste gummy.). Half to one hotdog per person.

When each ingredient is done, start to add them in the big pot as soon their are done at any order.The Chinese onion (this is how I call it, no idea about its real name) will cook itself by the warming of the rice and the chicken. Mix the whole ingredients in the big pot. (The hotdog can be added and mixed on the plates)

This dish can be eaten just like that, but if you add soy sauce will taste like the dish eaten in the restaurant.

Other ingredients may be added, like corn, carrots, etc. I just prepare it the way I described right above, and this dish not only taste good but looks good by the mixed colors of its ingredients.

Return to “Around the House”