Seriously considering a Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Nissannate25

Hey I'm new here. I currently own a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. I love the car to death, but it's just becoming really un-versatile for me. I live in the northeast and even with Blizzak snows on, it's not great, I've never got stuck before, but there have been times where I've had to call out of work because I couldn't get out of my driveway. I used to mountain bike a lot, but since I've had the Spec I really haven't been going much because the car is just too small to haul a bike and gear. I already test drove a Rouge last weekend and I liked it over all, the transmission is a little odd coming from a manual 6 spd. but I think it's pretty neat too. I guess I'm just asking how does everyone like their Rogue? How do they fair in the snow? etc.I'm going to the dealership tomorrow again to look at them.Thanks much!

Modified by Nissannate25 at 10:05 PM 11/14/2008
Modified by Nissannate25 at 11:58 PM 11/17/2008

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I love mine over the past 7 months. You can't beat it for the price, it really feels like a luxury cross over, evidence of great engineering everywhere, quiet ride, really advanced engine with direct ignition technology and low friction and lightweight aluminium parts, best fuel efficiency out there, and you can get a great 4 cylinder which Honda and Toyota simply don't offer, AND the thing that really sealed the deal for me is that you can get the FWD, which isn't available from Toyota in Canada and is rare with Honda, and as a result the Rogue had a better price tag for me. The one draw back in terms of versatility is the low sloping back roof line, which cuts in to the cargo area, but it still has tons of room for me and my family. No regrets whatsoever.

Check out all the posts on this forum, its pretty comprehensive and should answer all your questions, and give you pros as well as cons about this vehicle.

Nissannate25

Good to hear. I'm planning on picking up a S awd model in the Gotham Grey color, I think it looks really slick with the Rouge's body lines. I'd rather have an SL model to get the upgraded wheels and such, but I'm a 22 yro. college student currently and I just don't have the money to get the SL right now. Oh well, the S model is not too much of a downgrade.

tellurian
Car: Rogue

Like kerrton I have had mine for 7 months, also FWD. Its a really decent car, you will not regret it. But so are some others in the price range (I think its the best choice, but of course I would say that) ... just make sure you get the things you need and are looking for.

I still like my Rogue and I like driving it, no buyers remorse here. I would definitely buy one again. It feels and handles like a well balanced car and not a boxy SUV. I trust it to behave like I expect and it does. I have not driven it in the snow so I can't comment specifically there. However with its great ground clearance and from experience with plenty of years driving in Canadian winters I expect it will handle the snow quite easily. I have hauled all sorts of stuff in it, it is very versatile. And my Rottweiler / Lab is quite happy in the back cargo area (he'd prefer my lap but thats not gonna work!!).

a satisfied customer

Leo2005

Just passed the inspection. I love my Rogue.

philipa_240sx

Nissannate25,

Welcome to the forum!

It's called a Rogue, not the Rouge. Don't worry, seems many get the spelling wrong.

I've corrected the title of you post accordingly.

The S AWD would be a good choice if you regularly drive unplowed roads. I do just fine with my SL FWD and snow tires though.

One thing not offered on the S is the roof rails. They cannot be easily added afterwards. If you plan to carry gear on your roof, they can be useful. I have added a complete Yakima roof rack system to mine:

zerothread/318590

But if you don't have an SL with roof rails, you can also purchase a Yakima system with Q towers/clips as one other member did:

zerothread/343315

Several of us (myself included) also use hitch mounted bike racks:

zerothread?id=283582

Good luck!

Nissannate25

Sorry I messed up the spelling on it, I typed it last night when I was late, lol.I actually ended up purchasing one today, just got home a bit ago. I got a 2008 S awd in Gotham Grey. I think I'm going to like it a lot. My payments went up from 270 to 315 per month, but I don't have to run premium fuel in the Rogue, it also gets better gas millage than my old Spec V, so it should even out a bit. I'm paying 45 more a month for a vehicle I know wont need work. I just had to drop $600 for front brakes on the Spec and the struts were starting to go also. $45 more a month is really not bad considering I have a brand new vehicle now that I don't have to worry about.Thanks for all the replies!
Modified by Nissannate25 at 11:59 PM 11/17/2008

SkiHound

My Rogue is coming up on it's first birthday. I already have over 23k on it. I've been really, really happy with it. It's just been a pleasure to drive and my wife really feels it's comfortable on road trips as well. I've had zero problems. I too live in the NE. It's pretty good on ice and snow. Tires are a huge factor on bad roads and I suspect that more aggressive winter tires would improve performance on bad roads. Haven't driven other AWD vehicles to can't really compare in terms of winter performance. It's definitely better than any FWD I've had in the past. I'd buy it again. If I were shopping today I'd probably take a close look at the new Subie Forester as a comparison vehicle.

Nissannate25

Even though today has only been my 1st full day of driving it, I like it more and more every time I drive. Just a really nice rig for the price and imo the best bang for the buck in a crossover SUV. As much as I'll miss my Spec V, the think the Rogue will be better for me in the long run.

Modified by Nissannate25 at 11:58 PM 11/17/2008
Modified by Nissannate25 at 11:59 PM 11/17/2008

philipa_240sx

Nissannate25 wrote:As much as I'll miss my Spec V, the think the Rouge will be better for me in the long run.
Kinda miss my '03 Altima 2.5S as well. I had the Nismo S-tune suspension., B&M short shifter, and wide 245's all around. I miss that car, but like you the Rogue is far more practical.

Briguy1027

Nate:You're still spelling it wrong. It's ROGUE, not rouge. Rouge is a type of makeup, or used by jewelers and other metalsmiths to polish things. Come on guys, please spell it right!

mx6bfast
Car: 08 Rogue SL FWD

Briguy1027 wrote:Nate:You're still spelling it wrong. It's ROGUE, not rouge. Rouge is a type of makeup, or used by jewelers and other metalsmiths to polish things. Come on guys, please spell it right!
No kidding, if you can't spell it right don't buy it. It's not that hard to spell. VW drivers have that problem.

BTW have had my Rogue for 2 months, love it.

philipa_240sx

Be nice to Nissannate25... he is new to the forums. I am sure he will correct the spelling.

Nissannate25

Briguy1027 wrote:Nate:You're still spelling it wrong. It's ROGUE, not rouge. Rouge is a type of makeup, or used by jewelers and other metalsmiths to polish things. Come on guys, please spell it right!
Sorry, wouldn't know I"m semester one away from a ba degree would you?Rogue, there I spelled it correctly.

Nissannate25

philipa_240sx wrote:
Kinda miss my '03 Altima 2.5S as well. I had the Nismo S-tune suspension., B&M short shifter, and wide 245's all around. I miss that car, but like you the Rogue is far more practical.
Nice. I had Tein lowering springs, OBX header, Apex'i N1 cat back, AEM cai, Nismo shift knob and a system. The tuner scene is great, but had to change unfortunately.

daytrippr
Car: 2008 Blue AWD SL model Rogue

2008 Rogue (good and not so good)

We purchased our SL awd with BOSE stereo in March, 2008. We have just about 15,000 miles on it (Note to self: call dealer to make 15K oil change appt)

Our gas mileage for those 15,000 miles is roughly 27+ mpg. The car has run and run and run. We have had minor squeeks and rattles that we have fixed ourselves (my wife jammed foam strips into areas in the dash where, in Northwest Washington I 5 is mostly bouncy concrete, we have heard squeeks and rattles).

The car has run flawlessly, except for the dreaded cvt rattle. We have heard the rattle for the past 12,000 miles and have waited patiently for Nissan to give us a fix. (still waiting)

HOPEFULLY, we will get a new tranny soon.

philipa_240sx

Nissannate25 wrote:Nice. I had Tein lowering springs, OBX header, Apex'i N1 cat back, AEM cai, Nismo shift knob and a system. The tuner scene is great, but had to change unfortunately.
The Altima was great but paled in comparison to my 240SX. Mind you the 240 was more of a race car that was barely street legal. Thankfully the local law enforcement never pulled me over. With a roll bar, gutted interior, and race tires it screamed 'ticket me'. I would never drive that car on the street now... with the new anti-street racing laws in Ontario it nuts.

Good luck on the Rogue!

Nissannate25

Nice, I love 240's. Is it set up for drag? Drifting? I'll definitely be getting a project car once I get out of college and get a better job.

Return to “Rogue Forum”