S15 SR20DET 6 speed tranny MPH in each gear - where can this be found?

For the RWD SR20DET cars! Sponsored by Wiring Specialties.
CRESCENDO
Car: S13.5

Since my speedometer doesn't opperate because of the different signal given by the speed sensor in the diff, I don't know how fast I'm going in each gear. Innovate has a converter I may look into, but in the mean time I'd like to have an idea of how much I'm breaking the speed limit by - ...err, I mean, how much faster I can go until I reach the speed limit. Any accurate info would be great!

koukiguy13
Car: 1995 S14 with S15 Motor- 2001 Lifted Chevy CrewCab 2500HD

I dont know but I think you can throw on a diff from an S15 and it should start working.

SketchyRollin564
Car: SR hatchback in the werks

A good idea for in the mean time would be to get a friend drive next to you with their windows down, and have them scream out your speed in each gear while your in a cruising RPM. Write it down, and then if you want, find out the speed of while your near redline.

It should be easy to get a good idea of what speed your going untill you get the speedo fixed.

doridori23
Car: 1996 SR20deT 240sx (mine) , 1998 KA24de (wife's)

CRESCENDO wrote:Since my speedometer doesn't opperate because of the different signal given by the speed sensor in the diff, I don't know how fast I'm going in each gear. Innovate has a converter I may look into, but in the mean time I'd like to have an idea of how much I'm breaking the speed limit by - ...err, I mean, how much faster I can go until I reach the speed limit. Any accurate info would be great!
It is not listed anywhere due to too many variables in drive train and they dont want the liability. There is a formula you will need to figure it out.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/speedcalc.html has a quick calculator that requires no math. Just input your parameters and there you go. Any gear, any RPM, just need to measure your tires.

CRESCENDO
Car: S13.5

koukiguy13 wrote:I dont know but I think you can throw on a diff from an S15 and it should start working.
I have an S15 diff. The problem is the speed sensor is in the S15 diff opposed to in the tranny like in the S13 and S14 transmissions.
doridori23 wrote:
It is not listed anywhere due to too many variables in drive train and they dont want the liability. There is a formula you will need to figure it out.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/speedcalc.html has a quick calculator that requires no math. Just input your parameters and there you go. Any gear, any RPM, just need to measure your tires.
That will be very helpfull - thank you!

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Dori, that is amazingly helpful. Thanks for the link!

Tr0uble
Car: S13.5sx

I'll probably be having the same problem soon. I ordered the Dakota Digital SGI-5 unit. Wonder how to hook it up... Any know? If not I'll make a tutorial once I figure it out. Motor and rest of parts should be here in less than 3 weeks I hope. S15 SR20DET.

BTW Crescendo how exactly did you mount the s15 rear diff? Did you transplant the gears to 240 diff? Or just bolt the s15 diff up? <-- If you did this one, did you have to replace the s15 diff cover with the 240 diff cover? Do you have abs?

Tr0uble

Problem solved. I have stock 240sx ABS Rear Diff.Used the Dakota Digital SGI-5C to slow the ABS pulses down.If you cant get the S15 Diff get a ABS Diff and use the signal there.You will have a Gear Ratio of 4.083 instead of the S15 3.692Better or worse depending on the user I guess.

RPS13.5
Car: RPS13.5

did any one open the S15 tranny and put in a gear for the speed sensor? The gear part came from S14 or S13 tranny.

Tr0uble

RPS13.5 wrote:did any one open the S15 tranny and put in a gear for the speed sensor? The gear part came from S14 or S13 tranny.
That would require cutting and drilling of the S15 tranny housing. The place where the sensor is to attach to the outside of the transmission is cast aluminum. You would have to drill tap and cut the whole for the bolt, and hole for the sensor gear.

As far as mounting a gear to the shaft for vss, with 6 gears I doubt there's room or they would have designed it like that?

DroptopDrifting
Car: 94 240sx limited edition se convertible

the march issue of sport compact car (this month, the last issue) has a hold build on doin a nismo 6 speed tranny for that exact reason...with the nismo tranny it has the speed sensor in the correct spot so your speedo can still work

check it out

schtufi

Hello

I have actually the same problem with the speed sensor. I'll put a s15 gearbox to a s14, but there's no sensor in the s15 gearbox. Now i've read about the dakota digital speedometers and i need to now how to install this unit. Perhaps mr. trouble can help?

Thanks

240life
Car: 1993 Coupe - S13 SR20det blacktop

You could always get a GPS unit. Most come with a pretty accurate speedometer reading. Mine is a Garmin unit Nuvi 200. It usually is within 4-5 mph of how fast your actually going. I know it's not perfect but it is better then guessing.

ploppysator
Car: tousands

schtufi wrote:Hello

I have actually the same problem with the speed sensor. I'll put a s15 gearbox to a s14, but there's no sensor in the s15 gearbox. Now i've read about the dakota digital speedometers and i need to now how to install this unit. Perhaps mr. trouble can help?

Thanks
:poke: Hoi Stufi

maybe this helps: how-to-speedometer-conversion-using-dak ... 92355.html

Edited by Moderator: Please don't post links to competing forums.

Cheers

Ploppy

Return to “SR20DET Forum (rear-drive)”