S14 trans leak

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
ABIOTIC91
Car: 95 240sx

So the front of my trans has been leaking for a while now. I thought i fixed it by resealing it, and with a new main seal. But the problem persists. So i looked at a few pictures and on my trans the top input shaft bearing is exposed, when i see others iv seen on google images are not. The snap ring thats pretty much hanging loose on mine is suppoed to be snappped into place holding something thats covering that bearing. Could this be my issue? And what the heck is that cover, covering the bearing even called? Hopefully i can find one
Thanks all

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

The Transmission Front Cover? Is that what you mean? I'm not sure your car works without one of those. I mean, the fork pivot is stuck to that, so you'd need it to shift. I think you mean a different part. Look at the FSM on page MT-8 for a diagram...

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... sx/1995/MT

ABIOTIC91

Oh jeez no. Its the top bearing behind that. In pucs i see on google, its has like a brown thing (sorry i really have no idea) that seems to cover the balls in the bearing. No pun intended... But my balls are showing. And the snap ring that hold tge washer on isnt holding the washer on

centralcoaster33

Okay, I gotcha. The brown thing is a 'cover' for a sealed bearing. Kind of like a skateboard wheel bearing. I'm not sure how common those are in these trannys. Many of the rebuild kits and replacement bearings for our trannys are open bearings. I rebuilt mine and used a kit (bearings, seals, synchros). I have photos somewhere, not here, but somewhere. Jeez, I hope. I did have a laptop drive failure and lost a lot of data. I think I have my old photos backed up. Man, I was kind of proud of my accomplishment.

Anyway, having an open or sealed bearing there won't affect things. The open one gets lubricated by the trans oil and the sealed one is mostly greased internally, but will mix with the trans oil eventually. The front cover, it's gasket and the seal will hold in your trans oil. But, you need to have the proper snap ring, it needs to fit into the input shaft groove, it needs to hold back the washer, which in turn will hold back the bearing inner race. If that is not the case, you have an issue.

Post up a picture of that issue please.

ABIOTIC91

Lol rebuilding a trans is definitely an accomplishment.
But i guess i cant figure out where exactly that snap ring goes, it feels all completely smooth like theres no groove for it to sit and 'snap' into.
And it leaks out of that little breather hole on the cover, on the bottem of that input shaft sleeve
I just bought a new main seal again since it was chewed up. But as soon as i get out to the shop where the car is i will take a picture. And upload it. Also, how to i upload a pic? Lol

centralcoaster33

Hmmm, not sure about the ring not having a groove. But, I think there are two snap rings, one on the input shaft and one on the bellhousing.

We have some how to post pics articles. I don't use photobucket because I don't want to create an account. There are other sites that don't require accounts. All are basically the same. Upload image. Get embedment url, post that here between the leading and trailing img brackets.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/upload ... imgur.html
howto-post-your-images-in-threads-t573706.html
how-to-post-pictures-using-photobucket-t521110.html

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”