S13 Power Folding Mirror Install

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

After three attempts, I finally installed my power folding mirrors today. Here's the process for those who don't know.

Tools needed:Phillips head screwdriverSoldering kitElectrical tapeMetal coat hangerWire cutters Extra wireSocket wrench

Power folding mirrors with switch. The reason that I failed on the first two attempts to install these mirrors was because my harness was incomplete, so make sure that you have a complete harness or your attempt to install these mirrors will be futileThe full JDM harness will have 10 wires total. My incomplete harness only had 7...whoops! The full 10 wires compose of the following colors-yellow/blue, yellow/black, purple/white, black(for the ground), blue/black, blue/red, blue/white, blue(power folding), green/white, green(power folding). The plain blue and the plain green wires are the two extra wires that control the fold out fold in actions on the JDM mirrors. These are the two wires that you will need to splice and run to the center console. The other wires are exactly like your stock power mirrors if you have them and you will only need to connect the corresponding colors together and solder.The first thing you need to do is disconnect your battery and then gain access to the power mirror harness by removing the trim plate and center console.Grab the sides of the trim plate and carefully pull to remove it from the dash.Use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the shifter trim plate from your shift boot.Now you'll need to remove the screws on the center console. There's two at the top of the console...and four on the sides of the front and back of the console.Now you can pull the console away from the dash.Before you do, remember to remove the cigarette lighter harness and the ashtray light harness from the underside of the console.Sit the console on the passenger floorboard and out of the way.The mirror harness.Now you'll need to remove the door panel. If you don't know how, use this thread-S13 Door Panel Removal zerothread?id=244776After removing the door panels you'll need to swap out your USDM mirrors with the JDM mirrors.Start by removing the black bases. They pull off with ease.Using a phillips head screwdriver or a socket wrench, remove the three bolts holding the mirrors in and put the JDM mirrors in their place.Now you need to take your stock mirror harness and your JDM harness and match up the corresponding wires.Sloppily connect the wires on your USDM harness to the wires on your JDM harness. At this point it just needs a connection, we want to make sure everything works before we start running any wires or soldering.The JDM mirrors will have a white harness for the power function on the mirrors and a blue harness for the power folding function. The blue harness will have a blue and a green wire, this is where you need to run two extra wires in order for the folding function to work.Go ahead and run the wires to the mirror harness...and the switch harness.Now that you have everything wired, you need to connect your battery and test the mirror to see if it works properly.If everything goes well...voila! You now have power folding mirrors! Fold in!Fold out!If your mirrors didn't function at all you might want to check the fuse. Mine didn't do anything the first time and it turns out that I didn't have a fuse for them.Now that everything is functioning you can go ahead and run your extra wires thru the door and the dash. Remove the kick panel.And the lower column cover.The coat hanger, man's best friend for running wires.First, you need to run the coat hanger thru the rubber grommet on the door.Out.Tie the wires.Pull them thru.Now run the hanger thru the rubber grommet for the inside.Tie the wires.Pull the wires thru.Before you go any further tie the wires at the door to something so that they don't get pulled through the door while you're tugging away on the other side.Almost done. Run the hanger through the center console and out the bottom of the dash near the gas pedal.Finally, tie the wires and pull them through the center console. Now that you have the extra wires ran, you need to tie everything together again and test one last time to make sure that the mirrors still function.If they do you can start cutting, soldering and shrink wrapping where it is required. Repeat the procedure for the passenger side, secure the wires that you ran under the dash and the console. Put everything back together and you're done. You now have power folding mirrors.

theclub

I don't mean to be a jerk you were nice enough to post all those pics but what would be the point? Do you regulary drive into a garage space so tight you need to fold the mirrors to fit your car or are you just a jdm fanboy?

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

nice write-up!
theclub wrote:I don't mean to be a jerk you were nice enough to post all those pics but what would be the point? Do you regulary drive into a garage space so tight you need to fold the mirrors to fit your car or are you just a jdm fanboy?
what's the point of your question?

180fan
Car: 89 fastback

indeed. It was a nice write up and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who would give Positronone a pat on the back for the solution to this type of problem.

Positronone, I'll ask to have this thread moved as an article if you'd like. I think it'd do better there than getting lost in the pages of the tech section.

jdm_master_X
Car: 92 Nissan 180SX LHD!...LaWL

definitely an excellent write-up. next time you should wire up a JDM tyte bumper POLE!

positron1

180fan wrote:indeed. It was a nice write up and I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who would give Positronone a pat on the back for the solution to this type of problem.

Positronone, I'll ask to have this thread moved as an article if you'd like. I think it'd do better there than getting lost in the pages of the tech section.
Thanks!

positron1

When running the wires on the passenger side...make sure you close up the rubber grommets and replace the foam sealing the opening to prevent any chances of water getting in and onto your ECU which is directly below this opening.
Modified by positronone at 8:32 AM 6/8/2007

mandanglelow
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx SE Fastback

great write up! what's just below the space for your head unit?

positron1

Thanks! It's a freebox/cupholder.

srpowered240sx
Car: 90 240sx-sr, 92 F-150, 00 bmw 323ci, 1991 s13 coupe, 99 F250 Dsl

sweet. nice write up.

S-13

quick question... If the USDM has 7 wires and each jdm power folding mirror has 2 extra wires for the power folding option, where does the 4th wire connect to?

ex: the blue extra harness for the power folding feature has a solid blue and solid green wire, but the switch only has 1 solid blue and 2 solid green. How did you get yours to work? I am currently attempting this mod. to a non power window 240 and appreciate any help

battleroyale

sweet write up

positron1

S-13 wrote:quick question... If the USDM has 7 wires and each jdm power folding mirror has 2 extra wires for the power folding option, where does the 4th wire connect to?

ex: the blue extra harness for the power folding feature has a solid blue and solid green wire, but the switch only has 1 solid blue and 2 solid green. How did you get yours to work? I am currently attempting this mod. to a non power window 240 and appreciate any help
Yes, I have two mirrors apparently from two different year models of the car. I have a blue mirror on my drivers side that had the blue and white harnesses and I have a black mirror on my passenger side which only had the one white harness with the five wires coming out. It has the same yellow, blue and purple wires for the power function but the other two wires were orange and pink instead of blue and green. All you have to do is just cut and splice the wires and attach/solder them to the corresponding wires on the car. The first three match up color wise but the 2nd set for the power folding could be different depending on what year model mirrors that you have(some have blue/green while others have orange/pink) but they work just the same.

S-13

I know this is a longshot but i cant seem to get my passenger side to work. I matched up the 3 wires no problem and can adjust the mirrors on both sides. (5 wires accounted for) then the black wire to ground and the blue with red stripe to 12V (2 wires here). the 3 wires i have left are a single solid blue and 2 solid greens. soo i tried wiring them up and it only works on the driver side. funny thing is when the L&R selector is in the middle, it will still allow the power folding on the driver side. The reason im having such a hard time is because my car didnt originally come with a power mirror harness so i had to add the wires myself

positron1

Do you have the wires from both mirrors going to the same blue and the same green wire on the JDM harness?

S-13

no right now i havent soldered anything...yet. I basically have 10 wires coming to my cig. lighter from both mirrors so if i have to join them i can do it still. Am i supposed to have the blue and green from the driver and passenger side connected?

positron1

The blue from the drivers side and the blue from the passengers side both go to the solid blue on the switch harness like a "Y" formation...same with the green from the drivers side and the green from the passenger side both converging to the green on the switch harness.

240on430
Car: 1993 240SX SE

positronone wrote:The blue from the drivers side and the blue from the passengers side both go to the solid blue on the switch harness like a "Y" formation...same with the green from the drivers side and the green from the passenger side both converging to the green on the switch harness.
i did that on mine and my right mirror/passenger doesn't work either. i have 9 wires connected to the jdm switch.

is the folding motor broken? i don't hear the right motor. the adjustments are working.
Modified by 240on430 at 5:57 PM 8/14/2007

positron1

Some JDM harnesses have two solid green wires, make sure you are connected to the right one.

Dammitboy
Car: 92' Nissan 240

Nice write up posi! Where did you get that trick CF center console cover?

positron1

From this guy on ebay, he's on there from time to time with carbon fiber 240SX pieces like the console, the glovebox and other items. It was so long ago that I bought it that I can't remember his username.

positron1

Dammitboy wrote:Nice write up posi! Where did you get that trick CF center console cover?
Found some from Pandagarage on ebay, a little pricey, mine was cheaper but here you go. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

240on430

positronone wrote:Some JDM harnesses have two solid green wires, make sure you are connected to the right one.

got a new mirror from the ebay seller and the right mirror now works.

VVTCoupe
Car: 1990 240SX Coupe

Nice write up.

Has anyone ever tried this on an S13 that did not have factory power mirrors?

I think I'm missing a lot of the wiring..... Is this going to be much more difficult?

Thanks

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Anyone that ahs a convertible that has added power mirrors (folding or not) have to fab up a harness, VVTCoupe. Do a quick search for power mirrors in the vert forum and you'll find a How To I did a few years ago on adding power mirrors to a car with no harness.

EDIT: zerothread?id=77995 I went and pulled it up on my own. I figured I could find a lot faster than most others. I included the stock wiring diagram. I followed it wire for wire in fabbing up my harnesses. Of course, looking it back over with what I know now, it looks to be a switched voltage switch with one shared ground instead of a switched ground plug like I had initially thought.

240on430

VVTCoupe wrote:Nice write up.

Has anyone ever tried this on an S13 that did not have factory power mirrors?

I think I'm missing a lot of the wiring..... Is this going to be much more difficult?

Thanks

if i didn't have power mirrors, id just wire up the folding wires. how often do you adjust your mirrors?

anyone use jdm bases? i have to fold the mirrors in a lil bit to aim them right.

NismoDrift88
Car: 95 240sx

Does your whole fan a/c heating system Do anything different? (sorry its late im tired and cant think of the name atm) I have never seen one of those before and just wondering if it has any advantages. Oh, and also i love that cup holder you have but, can you still fit in the radio or does it take up too much space for it?

positron1

NismoDrift88 wrote:Does your whole fan a/c heating system Do anything different? (sorry its late im tired and cant think of the name atm) I have never seen one of those before and just wondering if it has any advantages. Oh, and also i love that cup holder you have but, can you still fit in the radio or does it take up too much space for it?
It doesn't do anything different besides the auto function for the climate control. You still have the same heat, air and defrost. The radio goes in above the cup holder din, I just don't have a radio at the moment.

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Recently, I bought power folding mirrors and digital climate control unit. Searched for write ups and BAM! yours showed up right away and you also have digital cilmate control too. Man, you have all fancy stuff on your car like HUD, cup holder and carbon center console cover...etc.

Anyway, you gotta help me here. I was thinking about creating a new thread, but I figured it'd help other people if my questions stay here. I'm in the middle of getting ready for power folding mirror swap, and I appreciate if you can clear some things for me. Other guys with power folding mirrors and digital climate control, please feel free to join too.

This is the switch I got. It's supposed to be from 180SX Kouki, but I'm not sure

It has 9 wires, not 10 as you can see. Is this going to work?

Mirror is good. Total 5 wires.

It was dirty, so I had to clean it up good. It was interesting to see how this thing works.

You didn't mention anything about swapping triangle bases, but it's in this tech article. Is yours working okay without swapping them?

http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=159840

"First off, before doing any wiring, you have to swap out the triangular bases. Also, unless you want to use the JDM mirror glass, which is not as magnified as our USDM driver's side one, you'll have to swap them out as well. They just pop out. So first take off the mirror glass. The disassemble the mirror from the triangular base by removing the 3 screws on the bottom. Do the same on the JDM mirror. Now put the JDM mirror onto the USDM triangular base. If you don't do this, the angle of the mirrors are different enough to where you can't adjust the driver's side mirror very far out."

Do I have to swap this part? I'm asking you because I couldn't see any difference between USDM and JDM triangle bases.

Now move on to digital climate control. Actually, what I want is exactly same as what you did. I want everything except auto function for the climate control because I saw the write up on digital climate control install and it looked tough. I wonder it's going to be simple if I just do what you did. Can you tell me what's missing here? I'm sure I'm missing something. If so, is that something I can get from other USDM Nissan cars? If it's too much headache, I won't do this mod.

It was so clean like this, so I couldn't pass.

A couple of more things. I have manual mirrors, so I have to make a harness. I've been looking at wiring diagram and it only shows 7 wires for the switch, so 2 extra wires I have on my switch will be for the folding function. I wonder what's that extra wire you have on your switch.

I know black is ground and "L/W" goes to ACC. What does "L" stand for? Is it Blue? I don't have Blue/White wire. I'll hook it up with 12v power source and test the mirrors before I put them on.

Thanks in advance.
Modified by 94_240sx at 8:02 AM 11/16/2007

positron1

Getting ready to do those conversions, sweet! For the power folding mirrors, the nine wires that you have will work, as you already know, the harness that I got had 10 wires but I only used nine. It had two solid green wires and I only used one of them, still haven't figured out exactly what the other green wire was for? Your mirror harness is good to go as well. I didn't swap out the bases, I just took my USDM mirrors off and put the JDM mirrors on...no problems they just bolt right on the same way. I have two mirrors from two different year models so you shouldn't have any problems. I just didn't notice any difference between the US and JDM bases. I would like to know how you got the mirrors broke down, for the life of me I couldn't get mine apart to swap out the glass. I would advise you to do this because what the guy says in the tech article about not being able to adjust the drivers side USDM glass all the way is true. With it's vantage point it just won't let you see the road and who's behind you as well as you'd like. You can see but I would like my mirror turned inward a little more and that JDM view takes some getting use to....things are further away than they actually appear. Let me take a look at my climate pics and get back with you on the climate conversion.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”