S13 Carbon Fiber Sunroof Panel

A forum for approved vendors of specialized, limited-production parts. Help small businesses that cater to Nissan enthusiasts and score some unique, useful parts! Contact [email protected] for approval and rates.
DjPantsSpecR
Car: 93 MS13 92 RMS13

I've very proud to announce that i have something physical to contribute to the S13 community. This is the first part in hopefully a long line of S-Chassis composite parts.

This is what you actually receive. It simply replaces the glass. However, it also knocks off a full 9lbs from the top of your car. I made this part to be cosmetically beautiful, but i originally created it for a member on this site for AutoX. Removing 9lbs from the farthest point from your C.G. has a nice effect on handling. Also, if you cant run glass this is the perfect replacement if you arent willing to buy a FLIMSY delete that no longer lets you vent the car.

I could never sell something that i wouldnt personally put on my car.

Thats why i've gone above and beyond what other companies do.

This part is highly worked and block sanded to create a part that is truly flat. This is the only way to get the mirror finish that you desire in a well made part. Unfortunately, you can not buy "off the shelf" carbon products of this quality. When we brought our first parts to the painter to be cleared they were ASTONISHED at how incredible they were. Its tough to paint carbon fiber because it is always wavy, or shows weave, or contains pinholes. We spent months figuring out how to make pieces that are cosmetically perfect. Luckily for you, we achieved better than OEM quality.

I've made this part out of 6k 10.2 oz carbon fiber. This is twice as thick as the typical carbon you get on inferior products. I've also been able to put a foam core in it to bulk it to the correct thickness while adding minimal weight. The overall product is an incredibly strong piece that only weighs just over 2lbs.

I'm not including any hardware of any kind, because you dont need it. Simply take the hardware off your factory glass sunroof and swap it over. However, if you want the exact high quality piece you see here, including the weatherstrip you would need to send in your hardware and pay an additional fee.

$400USD Carbon Fiber panel alone. Top and bottom cosmetically perfect and professionally clearcoated (includes UV protection).

$500USD Everything included above, except you need to send in your hardware, and we'll professionally prep and paint it, and install OEM weatherstrip (71 dollars at Nissan)

Let me know if you have any more questions, and i'll get more pics at anyone's request. E mail me personally to complete any transaction.

DjPantsSpecR

If you have to have one RIGHT NOW:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ories

Rays_240
Car: 93 sr20det 240sx Hatchback

these look freakin sweet and im sure the quality is great but so pricey, i mean I could buy a whole hood for that much. Great idea though

DjPantsSpecR

I know, i wish it were cheaper to produce these parts.

However, i could produce these things for cheaper, but the underside wouldn't be cosmetically perfect, and the top would look like dry carbon.

I could make this happen, and since i'd be using resin infusion it would make the part even lighter. If i get at least 5 people interested i would start making this. I would expect this to cost around 300, but i would have to finish one to see if it looked decent enough for me to sell.

But these current pieces are really geared towards the kind of hatch owner that has everything you can buy out of a catalog. Carbon fiber hood, hatch, fender, etc. But no one has one of these yet....

DjPantsSpecR

I just sold one of these two days ago, and hopefully one more in a day or two here. This is very exciting for me.

The price of these parts are a lot higher than what you expect to buy from competitors. We make a carbon fiber hood for a 1969 Pontiac Trans Am. It costs 4000 dollars. That sounds like a lot, but it has lots of things you've never ever seen on a CFRP hood. This isn't a pontiac site, or i'd go into it, but if anyone is interested in hearing (or seeing pictures) why and how this hood actually sells for 4k lemme know.

But your typical $500 dollar carbon fiber hood is:

Fiberglass.

Then they put one layer of 3k carbon fiber on (an overlay, never part of their resin infusion process). And then they claim they have "true rolled edges." We make parts with resin infusion, it is VERY difficult to get all the air bubbles and imperfections out even under ideal circumstances. Crosses in the weave naturally want to create air bubbles at these junctions. We go back in and fix these problems. Thats why it takes MANY more hours to produce a quality part.

Finally they slather the top with cheap polyester resin again and sand it with the DA. This is one of the reasons why these cheap hoods are so wavy. Ever seen a carbon fiber piece that was so flat your could paint it? Ours are, because they already have been. Like i said our painter is astonished.

When i say "they" i mean some company in china or Korea, because the big carbon companies arent making this stuff here. Its not made by people who have necessarily even seen the vehicle that it goes on.

So yeah, you could get a hood for this price. But it contains about 50 dollars in carbon fiber. The entire hood is fiberglass, the underside is CLEARLY fiberglass, the skeleton is always fiberglass, and then it has a metal latch. Our $4000 dollar hood contains nearly $1000 dollars in just carbon fiber. It is truly made entirely of carbon fiber. We built this one for the boss, so it's built like a brick s*** house. It only drops 30lbs from the car, but it supports his weight (160lbs) without buckling, even on one foot... Thats unique to say the least. Future hoods will not be built this way necessarily. I'm currently working on a 15lb one. That would drop nearly 45lbs.

So with that said, this stuff isnt for everyone. Custom stuff is always nicer and consequently more expensive. We're not making any money right now, just trying to figure out how to keep our heads above water. But i will take any inquires for custom stuff, and i've already been talking to Greg here about a little something somethin for his vert....

Modified by DjPantsSpecR at 8:33 AM 12/19/2009

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Chase, I found my extra hardware. We'll talk next week/weekend after my show is done.

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

You don't happen to make this for the moonroof do you? (slide vs pop-up)

DjPantsSpecR

Sorry, i was away on vacation. (when its this cold in MN, not leaving the house is considered a vacation.)

When you say moonroof, i assume you mean the power one in the coupe? Correct?

No, i dont currently make one, but yes i could. However, one that still functioned as a sliding moonroof might be fairly expensive to make. However, it might not. Its something that would take the right buyer, sending me the right parts (because i no longer have an s13 coupe) to get it made.

Space Monkey
Car: 1990 Nissan 240sx

Hey man,

I love this product! I will purchase one in the long run, but im flat out broke right now...just got clutch, flywheel, ss brake lines, kouki tails, jonnie fraz power brace, BRM Exhaust, Skid plate, and a couple other things...you think you will still be making these in like 2 months?

DjPantsSpecR

Yeah, dont worry about it. Maybe i'll make one for me and sit on it til you want it, otherwise, i should start making another one just to sit on.

And thank you very much.

Wave_s13

How thick are these? Do you have a side shot?

Space Monkey

What are the chances of seeing one installed on an S13?

DjPantsSpecR

How thick are these?:I've made it the same thickness as the factory glass. it HAS TO BE in order to fit the front brackets for the sunroof.

Chances? pretty damn good. As soon as i get Ajax's to him we'll be taking pictures of it on his car. And this should be very soon.

Speedy7_7
Car: 2002 IS300 And 2008 Nissan Versa

bump to a great product Chase. You should swing by the garage with dave sometime to work on the rally car, we could use a genius on our side. Good luck with the sales, this is top notch stuff.

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Speaking of, I'm back in town. Let me know when you're available and I'll wipe down my car for some pictures.

DjPantsSpecR

Good, i was starting to worry.

PICS SOON!

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Cant wait to see this on Dave's car.

I still have my Pig lip, all you gotta do is come out and see the rally car, and its all yours.

DjPantsSpecR

Lemme know ANY weekend and i should be able to make it. Then its pig noses for all!

Thanks guys, only in MN can a guy know such an upstanding group of S-Chassis owners.

Formerdead
Car: I drive a 93 nissan 240sx se hb

Wow... What a nice part. I would love to pic one up when I get the cash together. My wife blew the head on my ka so i need to fix that first. It's nice to see quality parts

Space Monkey

Where are the pics at? I thought we were getting some picks of it installed?

DjPantsSpecR

Yep, i thought so too, but me and Dave (Ajax) just havent been able to hook up and make this happen.

We'll just have to wait a little longer. Thanks a lot Formerdead, i really appreciate that. In regards to the quality, i've just started making an engine cover for a Lamborghini. The part i'm making is already made of carbon fiber, but the look and the quality are sub par. Its nice to be able to make carbon parts better than the big guys (its not that they dont know how, its just that it isnt profitable to make it "right").

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

This is amazing. I have always wanted this, but had no idea anyone made one. If you are able to still produce these after I graduate from college here in May, I will just have to buy one. I'll also send you pictures of it installed!

Also, carbon center console, radio trim, and door cards plz?

nwmrkt
Car: S13

O I would love to pick one of these up sometime in the near future. But question, can I purchase the panel and new weather stripping as well? I might as well replace mine in the process.

DjPantsSpecR

Hey guys, the other day i wrote this awesome post to respond to r34 gtr (sorry about that!) but i wasnt logged in. There were pictures of a carbon fiber a-pillar pod and some other stuff that i just finished (not for s-chassis), but i guess i never realized that it didnt actually post...

So first and foremost, we've just expanded. We've split up our speed shop from our carbon fiber business, so my focus is now 100% carbon fiber. This expansion is going to make some great things happen.

So yes r34, i'll be able to make this to order for quite a while to come, if not indefinitely. Carbon center console? i hope to make one soon. Guess what this is:

Carbon center console + door. Granted its not for S-Chassis, but it is EXTREMELY difficult to make. This sells for $1000. I'll expect the 240sx version to sell for a similar price.

radio trim is also no problem, and i dont know what door cards are. Are those the door sills? if so thats definitely possible.

nwmrkt, it depends on how soon you order. Now, i can get the weatherstripping, but in 6 months i can no longer guarantee. I just so happen to know how many OEM nissan sunroof weatherstrips there are left in america, and its not many.

So far there are only two of these, who wants to be the third person with a functional carbon fiber sunroof?

DjPantsSpecR

I should have mentioned something about that picture....

It is made of a single piece of carbon, NO CUTS. However, at the very front of the part (the left of the picture) you can see a small square of carbon that has been added. So technically this is made of two pieces of carbon, but in reality that little piece at the front was to cover a seam we didnt like, all the while knowing that this portion would be buried under the dash.

if $1000 sounds steep.... this piece takes over 80 hours to complete. Now if we pretend like the materials are all free, I dont have to pay the painter, and the shops rent and heat and tools we also free....... thats $12.50 an hour. Its significantly less in reality. Your show piece, my McDonalds budget.

But I have no problem with that as long as what I'm putting out there looks this good. Seriously, have you ever seen a center console like that? We havent... thats why we made one.

l0nestar
Car: 1993 250sx, 2004 Altezza, 1963 Impala SS

I believe by 'door cards' they mean a single sheet to replace the door paneling on the inside. (possibly with a hole for the interior door release)

DjPantsSpecR

Ahhhh, thank you I appreciate that, now i know what you mean.

Sounds easy enough to do to me, but If I'm not mistaken it would be a lot more cost effective to purchase a premade honeycomb-reinforced carbon sheet and then cut it to shape.

Carbon door panels would be even cooler, albeit really more appropriate for a show vehicle. But never-the-less i bet you'll see me making them...

Space Monkey

DJ! Your parts look AWESOME! I can't wait to get out of dept and starting buy things again!

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

Well then! This carbon sunroof will be the first thing I buy after I walk across that stage and snatch my diploma from those thieves at Auburn University. You can rest assured that I will indeed be getting one of these before the summer gets into full swing.

Gosh this part has me excited.

I don't know about dropping $1500 on the center console, though it looks amazing. Ill need to get a grown up job before I can afford one of those. Worth the asking price though, as it is one of the nicest pieces of carbon I have seen for any car at any price.

If you make those door cards (yes I did mean the whole interior door panel) for the S13, let me know the price and I will see what I can do. This is another part I have been dreaming about getting my hands on.

I actually broke my radio trim because I am an idiot and forgot to detach the shifter when I pulled my engine last. So I kind of need one of those. If you decide to make them, let me know and we will work something out. Would be nice to combine shipping, as it would be easier on both of us.

Most people ask for money and useful items or trips for graduation. I will be asking for fancy carbon fiber bits for an old, cheap, Japanese sports car. carbon fiber bits that cost more than I paid for the car in the first place. I am an idiot. At least I will be a very happy idiot.
Modified by r34 gtr at 5:19 AM 3/17/2010

DjPantsSpecR

Sounds good to me, i graduate this spring too, but I'm fairly certain I'll only be getting my student loan bills..... which i've already been getting.

But that sounds good to me, I have good spares of all those parts, so hopefully i have some molds of those before summertime, but at the rate I'm moving, I dont see why that would be a problem.

And I dont know if i said the center console was 1500, i think i said it was 1000, thats what that very complex Firebird/Camaro part costs, and the s13 part should take the same amount of work.

Return to “Fabricators' Market”