roll cage or any other way to add regitity to a convert.

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
slownslurious

yeah I would want the bar back a little further and the uprights going to the strut towers (with a plate cut to fit the tops of the strut towers for extra strength). I'd defintely want to take advantage of a diagonal brace for rigidity and a harness bar for convenience. Besides, if you add a tube back by the strut towers like he did, and a harness bar, it would make the perfect tire rack for SCCA events.

110octane
Car: VQ35DE powered 240SX Convertible *SOLD*
SR20DET powered S14

Great topic!

slownslurious; Your absolutly correct. The Cusco stuff is sorta cheesy. I also am curious how an "A" pillar bar with 3 bends, also called an "escape bar" can be safe? However, from my understanding the Safety21 version is made of bigger and thicker tubing and is a much more serious cage made in the same manufacturing facility.

I will be adding the final portions of my cage (Clevised main hoop and kickers) in the next couple months. Of coase, I'm no expert but I've been around quite a few race car builds in my time. From what I've seen it is always safer to make boxed in base plates instead of welding a plate to the top of the wheel well or directly to the floor pan itself. I personally have seen two roll cage tubes, base plate and all, ripped completely through the floor pan and compromised the drivers safety severly.

If you are planning on adding a cage or just a structural bar, don't chince. Consult someone that knows what they are doing and at the end of the project you will have the peace of mind knowing you are safe when your behind the wheel of your car. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Just my .02

slownslurious

its probably a good idea to take in an SCCA or NASA rule book even if you are only planning on using the cage for time trial or drift.

jrsink

slownslurious wrote:why would you want to cut a coupe top off? just start with a coupe... easier.
i want a removeable hard top for weather and coolness factors.i already had a coupe last year; i ditched it; i like a vert better; it's different. and i don't mind destroying it either; IT'S FUN! i hate being trapped in a hard top s13...i'm thinking about puttinga hot tub in the back LOLYOU GOTTA SEE THE PICS....i chopped out all that nasty rusty rear seat brace **** out this weekend' looks so much cleaner now. gotta make way for the custom cage...and coilovers in jan, then its over LOL

DukeBoy

slownslurious wrote:way to rock the quarter windows up! lol that drives me crazy. and that looks kind iffy to me the way those rear supports go straight down.
The rear braces are welded to the wheel wells because I cant get them to go back any farther while still allowing the top to move up and down. Otherwise it would hit the side beams when it folds down. Plus I can still fit 5 tires back there and some other junk. I didn't want to cut out the stock rear brace just yet and remove the top to weld to the strut towers. I am going to put in a full front cage for next year and haven't decided whether or not I want to remove the entire pump and lift assembly to make it manual open/close. If I do, I will just cut out the rear braces and weld them to the strut towers. I will probably do it anyway.
tenkawa_akito wrote:
i just realized that his bar leans too far forward to add in an SCCA style cross bar. The seats would get in the way. So I guess another alteration I would have to make is to lean the bar back at a bit more of an angle
The main hoop is so far forward because I am too tall and I need it to be that high. Otherwise it would hit one of the cross beams on the vert top. Shorter guys might be able to move an inch or two back but will have to lower the hoop height to clear the cross beams. But then it might be too far back and might not have the verticle ridgidity as one that is more upright.

It's going to be a whole new world next year. we Just have to wait and see what we will do.

slownslurious

so many safety concessions made to save the soft top!

I think I may just order an autopower coupe one as long as the main hoop fits inside the vert reinforcements I can modify the rear to fit... I dont have a top so top clearance isn't an issue.

jrsink

-Edited for no real contribution to the thread. Oh and it was a blatently bad curse word. -tenkawa_akito

slownslurious

so does anyone know for sure that the main hoop of the auto power bar fits the vert?
Modified by slownslurious at 10:47 AM 12/4/2006

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Check this out! Saw this in Option and wanted to share. Ladder bars for Mazda Miata, Suzuki Cappuccino and Honda Beat.

madcowvert

that looks so sick the is a shop in west palm beach ( 1/1/2 away from me ) that make roll cages when i get my motor im going to give them a call ..

i really like the way the ladder bar came out when i get home im going to look through my option magazines and see if i can find any more cool things like this.^^^^

slownslurious

so is it verified that the auto power main hoop fits inside the convertible reinforcements? I'm ready to send money to get a race roll bar if it does... does the person who tried it have pictures or anything?

UNITEDMOTORSPORTS
Car: s13 s14 cressida

we hand build cages in santa ana CA i have a vert were doing a cage for sometime soon. if interested give me a call 949 201 9567 then we can build 2 at the same time.

slownslurious

I'm in houston I have no way to get the car out there right now or I'd take you up on it.

jrsink

I'm looking into having a brace made for the rear strut towers....[/QUOTE]

why though? the ~6"x6" metal box not workin for ya? i'm interested

jrsink

topless94 wrote:If I change my mind and decide to add something to aid in rigidity, I will most likely base it off Dukeboy's vert.

Thanks for the pics..
i wouldn't...

my cage is coming together as we type...i should have two points coming together at each rear strut tower;2 criss-crossing diagnolly back from the harness bar (mid main hoop)(just like 110's s13.4 vert) and two coming straight back down from the main hoop. main hoop will be also welded to the body on the sides unlike any cages i have seen anywhere in any convertible...

BOOMSHAKALAKA

^ Oh I typed that before I found out about FRSport and DavisFab. I most likely will be getting my roll bars from them in the future.

jrsink

IDK...i don't reallt like the overall design from them still.

the points don't even come into the rear shock towers just next to them ???my harness bar will also bend towards the back for more useable strength out of the harness part of the cage. ITS GOTTA BE ALL CUSTOM!

jrsink

$537 in supplies initially:5 20ft .095 1 3/4" DOM steel tubingFTW

slownslurious

C&W fabrication, the through the dash kit, its like $500 bucks plus welding... mandrel bent DOM... if you are just drifting and don't need dom then erw is a good bit cheaper.

northstar ninja
Car: 74 260Z, 92 240sx hatch.

Whats DOM and ERW? Metal alloy types?

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

good lord, a 2 year bump

AndrewLNFSS
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Bump from the grave.

Since this is linked from the sticky thread, does anyone know how the cage made by Jrsink came out?
What other bracing parts can be installed besides what AZ said on page one in 2006?

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Cage:
240sx-convertible-roll-bar-kit-by-davis ... 19029.html

Stronger fender braces, Cowl brace, Nismo power brace. The rear towers are already braced. You can also weld all the seams

JINthaMC23

Which fender braces are best?

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”