240sx Convertible Roll Bar Kit by DavisFab & FRSport!!! PICS INSIDE!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
FRSport

When it comes to s13 convertible roll bars / rollbars (especially "bolt/weld-in ones"), there aren't many out there. Furthermore, it's questionable whether the rollbar will give proper helmet clearance, work with the automatic top, and allow interior panels to be retained.

We've collaborated with a local welder Davis Ikemiya from DavisFab to create a rollbar that will meet all the above requirements and possibly become a kit for you to weld in to your very own 240 vert!

This is fully legal for SCCA, NASA, and other HPDE events where the minimum requirement is a 4 point roll bar for soft-top convertibles. I am currently competing w/ this car locally at autox. After a few more installs and some preparation, I will be attending hpde events at Willow Springs & Buttonwillow.

Clears my head with helmet on a stock height seat - with a sidemount bucket seat (awaiting arrival), I'd sit even lower! Pictures below.

We are currently working on developing this into a weld-in kit for those of you who want to minimize downtime of having a roll bar built from scratch at a local welder.

This prototype contains different mounting locations for the rear legs to the factory strut tower brace - the final version will most likely mount at a different angle for easier access to weld.

Enough introduction, here are some of the details of this roll bar:- 4 mounting points- 1.75" DOM- 1/8" mounting plates- harness bar & diagonal cross bar

This kit will have the harness & diagonal cross bar pre-welded to the main hoop. The rear legs will be pre-cut but not welded to the main hoop. Some cutting of the rear firewall will be required to allow room for welding. Six welds and your vert will be track legal!

Pricing is still being determined at this time, but expect to pay under $700 shipped to your door! For local NICO members, full installation can be provided by DavisFab. If interested, please feel free to contact me directly via email or posting in this thread.

Without further ado, here are the pictures (please pardon the dirty car ):

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!QV

Ihiryu
Car: S13 KA-T Vert

OMG, this is what I've been waiting for!!!

Paradox
Car: Cars, computers...

I will be in the market for this in the early spring...

NICE!

Grandpa01

Can you post a picture of you in it and the headroom clearance? Also your height?

And it looks great.

madcowvert

i like it but there is only one thing that i have aganist it and its that the top is so damm tall is there any way to cut it down some?

FRSport

Grandpa01 wrote:Can you post a picture of you in it and the headroom clearance? Also your height?

And it looks great.
Glad you like it! I'm 5' 10.5" w/ long back (when sitting down, I'm taller than some ppl @ 6', haha.

I'll have a picture w/ me & a helmet soon. This is stock seat height (bottom half of this racing seat is a stock seat).

madcowvert wrote:i like it but there is only one thing that i have aganist it and its that the top is so damm tall is there any way to cut it down some?
Of course! We can get your rollbar customized height wise no problem . Also, if you wish, the mounting plates can be supplied separately, so that you can get the main hoop trimmed down to your exact height specifications once installed.

The reason for the height is because I wanted maximum head clearance, NASA & SCCA require the top of your helmet be under the top of the bar, & recommend the rollbar be appoximately 3" higher than your helmet.

madcowvert

so what are we looking at price wise?

FRSport

madcowvert wrote:so what are we looking at price wise?
Pricing is still being determined at this time, but expect to pay under $700 shipped to your door! For local NICO members, full installation can be provided by DavisFab. If interested, please feel free to contact me directly via email or posting in this thread.

Right now I'm more concerned with seeing the demand for something like this. If we get at least 5 serious members to get these kits, pricing will be even lower for the introductory batch.

Turn around time from payment to shipment will be between 2-4 weeks maximum.

If any customization is desired, feel free to email me, and we'll work out the details!

THANKS GUYS!QV

cheap_sticker05
Car: 1994 Nissan 240sx VERT! 1995 240sx

VERY VERY Interested!! Just tell me when you will start taking payments.Rich-

FRSport

cheap_sticker05 wrote:VERY VERY Interested!! Just tell me when you will start taking payments.Rich-
I'll get the ball rolling & will have full details by the end of next week - finalizing details of the rollbar, shipping, and everything .

Noticed in your profile you have an 89 hatch... are you interested in a rollbar for a hatch or vert?

G_sl1de
Car: S13 coupe

Can i get it in a full cage?i need a 6 point with a halo

BOOMSHAKALAKA

When I have a new job and some money saved up, I will def be a customer.

FRSport

G_sl1de wrote:Can i get it in a full cage?i need a 6 point with a halo
Of course you can get it in a full cage! Email me any special requests and I'll help set you up. Of course, turn-around time for a cage will be longer and also depends on all the specs you want (how you want the front legs, etc, etc). Pricing for a simple "no frills" cage starts at $1000 + shipping .
topless94 wrote:When I have a new job and some money saved up, I will def be a customer.

Any custom requests or interested parties, please email me @ specials (AT) frsport (DOT) com - this will help me coordinate things smoothly in the coming weeks .

G_sl1de
Car: S13 coupe

Okay thanks

slownslurious

I'd probably buy one as soon as I get a job (just graduated and moving cross country in 2 weeks)

cheap_sticker05
Car: 1994 Nissan 240sx VERT! 1995 240sx

I want the rollbar for a 1994 vert. I haven't updated my profile with the current cars.

Junkies
Car: 93' Vert

so this roll bar kit, you have to weld it in right. will you guys be making a bolt in kit soon? my vert is a daily driver and i dont think having this will be good for daily driving. i would love it if i had the freedom of taking it off whenever.

FRSport

Junkies wrote:so this roll bar kit, you have to weld it in right. will you guys be making a bolt in kit soon? my vert is a daily driver and i dont think having this will be good for daily driving. i would love it if i had the freedom of taking it off whenever.
Because of the mounting points, it will be pretty difficult to make the rear legs "bolt-in" unless you hack away at your factory strut brace.

We can use the wheel well as the mounting points for the bolt-in kit, but having the rear legs mount there is not the safest point to mount rear legs in case of a rollover.

I'll talk to our fabricator and see if we can come up with anything that won't compromise the integrity of the rollbar and still be "bolt-in" this week.

For the introductory special, we will probably not be making this kit. However, if you are seriously interested, we can make you a special order one for a higher price. Just email me with details.

So far, we are planning on offering this kit for all s13 models! Price is gonna make you go .

The first final revision vert weld-in kit is in the process of being created right now. Stay tuned!

RedEvilRPS13
Car: 1991 S13, 1966 Dodge Dart, 1972 Baja Bug, 1991 Corolla...the fleet is always changing....

im 6'3"..would i fit? and what has to be removed to install, and can you still access the rear speakers?

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

RedEvilRPS13 wrote:im 6'3"..would i fit? and what has to be removed to install, and can you still access the rear speakers?
You can still access the stock rear speakers the way I had it mounted. As long as the speaker is not too deep (i.e. aftermarket one w/ huge magnet), you can leave it as is, I'll get some pics up later of that if you are concerned about that aspec.

How much room do you have between the top of your head and the headliner w/ the top up?

The top of the bar is about 1-2 fingers below the headliner as you can see in one of the above pics.. that's as much clearance as you can get with the top still operational & some roll bar padding.

If you have any clearance issues, it will be with you vs. the car, not the roll bar - the roll bar is basically maxed out with respect to clearance.

If you have problems fitting in the car as is w/ a helmet (i.e. you have to hunch over w/ the top up and w/ helmet on), a side mount bucket seat (highly recommended w/ roll bars) can get you another 1" or so of clearance. Up to 2" w/ removed padding for track days.

With respect to how far you can push the seat back, the roll bar is mounted on the rear seat area, which is also about as far back as you can get with maximum width of the main hoop.

HOPE THAT HELPS! First kit is being created as we speak, look for the introductory special in the coming weeks .

THANKS GUYS!QV

RedEvilRPS13
Car: 1991 S13, 1966 Dodge Dart, 1972 Baja Bug, 1991 Corolla...the fleet is always changing....

lol um well i dunno how much room i have, because i havent sat in it with the top up yet....

DukeBoy

I don't know what everybodys' intentions are for their verts if they get this bar, but your diagonal brace in your roll bar should go from the hoop on the passenger floor nearest the mounting plate to above the drivers head. I think your diagonal brace is reversed or the entire preassemble hoop was installed reversed. It might be OK for the HPDE because it requires a simple roll bar, but other sanctions might not allow what you have like US Drift that follows NASA rulebook. I could be wrong, but I would double check if I were you. But like I said, it all depends on how far you want to take you vert. Your vert looks cool though. Peace.
Modified by DukeBoy at 1:04 AM 1/13/2007

FRSport

DukeBoy wrote:I don't know what everybodys' intentions are for their verts if they get this bar, but your diagonal brace in your roll bar should go from the hoop on the passenger floor nearest the mounting plate to above the drivers head. I think your diagonal brace is reversed or the entire preassemble hoop was installed reversed. It might be OK for the HPDE because it requires a simple roll bar, but other sanctions might not allow what you have like US Drift that follows NASA rulebook. I could be wrong, but I would double check if I were you. But like I said, it all depends on how far you want to take you vert. Your vert looks cool though. Peace.

Modified by DukeBoy at 1:04 AM 1/13/2007
Formula D follows SCCA, which this style is legal (they do not restrict the way the diagonal brace is run). I went through the NASA rule book (the general one) for Roll Bars and this one meets all requirements. However, we can have it built either way. I am sure you can also flip the kit if need be since the rear legs are not welded to the hoop & the main hoop extends vertical from the mounting plates.

This particular vert is not planning on seeing any US Drift events any time soon, so I should be covered.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring this to the fabricator's attention to make sure it can be run either way. He competes in Formula D, so I know it's at least legal to that for drift competition.

*EDIT: just spoke w/ Davis Ikemiya, all final production kits will be US Drift legal .

And the way the current diagonal brace is run should be no problems for most organizations - good enough for Porshe, good enough for me :

Modified by FRSport at 10:46 PM 1/12/2007

signalpuke
Car: 240

Ihiryu wrote:OMG, this is what I've been waiting for!!!
You are gonna need it when I get back and start driving the rex lol

DukeBoy

FRSport wrote:
Formula D follows SCCA, which this style is legal (they do not restrict the way the diagonal brace is run). I went through the NASA rule book (the general one) for Roll Bars and this one meets all requirements. However, we can have it built either way. I am sure you can also flip the kit if need be since the rear legs are not welded to the hoop & the main hoop extends vertical from the mounting plates.

This particular vert is not planning on seeing any US Drift events any time soon, so I should be covered.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring this to the fabricator's attention to make sure it can be run either way. He competes in Formula D, so I know it's at least legal to that for drift competition.

*EDIT: just spoke w/ Davis Ikemiya, all final production kits will be US Drift legal .

And the way the current diagonal brace is run should be no problems for most organizations - good enough for Porshe, good enough for me :

Modified by FRSport at 10:46 PM 1/12/2007
That's good to know. I only brought it to your attention because at the tech inspection at US Drift, he said I should have a diagonal brace goin above my head. He let me drift anyway. And the NASA rulebook says it should be that way for full cages, but they aren't that specific for general roll bars. Just making sure bro. Welcome to the vert roll bar club.

FRSport

DukeBoy wrote:
That's good to know. I only brought it to your attention because at the tech inspection at US Drift, he said I should have a diagonal brace goin above my head. He let me drift anyway. And the NASA rulebook says it should be that way for full cages, but they aren't that specific for general roll bars. Just making sure bro. Welcome to the vert roll bar club.
Definately appreciated! . Very good to see more verts in Drifting competition over here in the states. So many organizations, so little time .

I'll be keeping everyone updated over the next week or so about the final kit.

DukeBoy

i forgot to ask bro, what wall thickness is it? .095" or .120" DOM?

FRSport

.120" DOM for the current kit. Although if anyone wants .095" thickness, we can have that made, too.

RedEvilRPS13

yeah no go on the cage, i BARELY fit in the car with the top down

bruinbear714

RedEvilRPS13 wrote:yeah no go on the cage, i BARELY fit in the car with the top down
Top up, you mean .

Time for some super low side-mount bucket seats!

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”