Rogue Rattling Noise - Heat Shield?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

A1850 wrote:Hi all. New to the forum and I did a search but didnt find anything. I bought a used 2013 Rogue. Still under warranty (yay) I noticed that at high speeds, 75/80mph (not that i drive that fast...) i hear a knocking noise under the hood. Intermittent. Like aluminum hitting itself. Ity happens Only at high speeds. I Havent been able to figure out what it is. Thinking it may be a loose heat shield or something. Any suggestions? thanks!
Merged with existing thread. Please see previous posts.

A1850

Thanks for merging my thread but it is unrelated to the others... that's why i started a new one. Mine ONLY happens at high speeds. Not going over bumps, at slow speeds or with normal driving. Only on the highway at 75+ MPH

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

A1850 wrote: » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:58 pm ...Thinking it may be a loose heat shield or something...
A1850 wrote: » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:05 pm ...Thanks for merging my thread but it is unrelated to the others...
Your two posts don't jive. I merged it because of your first post, which clearly said "loose heat shield". If it's not related to the loose heat shield topic, why mention you think that's what it is?

Have you checked the heat shield to ensure that's not the source of the sound? We're working blind here (so to speak). If you could upload a sound clip, maybe we could get a better idea of what your talking about.

2010rouge
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2012 Buick Verano Base

Here I have a 2010 Nissan Rogue with an engine rattling noise. The warranty for power train has expired a few months ago. It seems that this rattling noise on occurs when the gear is in position drive and reverse (especially in "somewhat cold" start). The heat shield doesn't feel loose (by tapping on it). Posted a video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UECsfpY3I94
First sign of rattle can be heard at 0:08

Any suggestions of what it could be?

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

I recently discovered an odd rattle coming from the engine compartment of my 2nd gen 2015 Rogue. There's a weird metal rattling sound that is intermittant usually when the engine starts up and during moderate acceleration. Still not sure where it's coming from other than the engine compartment. It's still under warranty so should I bring this back to the dealer to have them try and figure it out?

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

yes

colonelcasey
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Just an update on this...I brought my 2015 Rogue into the dealer and low and behold, it was a rattling heat shield they had to tighten up. The ttech who worked on my car thought it was a popping noise at first and re-greased the front axle until I went on a test drive and showed him exactly what the problem was.

The tech who worked on my car said it was the first time he's ever seen the issue on a newer gen Rogue. I have nearly 16k mostly city miles on this car but this is the first car that I have owned that has developed this issue. Hopefully I won't see a reoccurance of this issue again.

OBRogue
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue

I was having a problem with an annoying rattle when accelerating, found the article about a cracked weld on the heat shield on the NOCO Forum. I was able to correct the problem with a hose clamp as directed from the Nissan bulletin in five minutes. I was SO happy! Thank you Forum.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic

Newguy55
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Hi everyone

Created an account just to say that this fixed my 2009 rogues rattle. My broken weld was in the back right before the muffler though. Band clamp around it fixed it right up. That sound was God awful, like a spoon in a garbage disposal.

Thanks so much for the help!

jokerstone
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue

Hi there

2015 Nissan Rogue sv awd

Was driving today and noticed a rattle. Looked underneath and the main heat shield (long flat ish piece- pic attached) is coming looose and rattling. Is this thing bolted down or simply hangs there? Feels like it’s gonna fall out. Anyways is there a way to secure this somehow? Further along the exhaust there’s ring clamps that I added to secure and it worked. This however doesn’t seem to have any area to do that? Maybe take that bolt out and add a large washer?

Suggestions?
Attachments
C3CF24ED-E067-43D0-A936-9E11500774C2.jpeg
7C7795D6-8A7B-477A-BFC1-1B6548E4ECE1.jpeg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

jokerstone wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:31 pm
Maybe take that bolt out and add a large washer?
Yep. Very common for the shields to fatigue around the retaining washers, the shields are just overweight tinfoil and the small washers create a large compression load. What you want is a 6mm or 1/4" ID "fender washer", they come in OD's up to 1-1/2". We keep 1-inchers at the shop, they spread the load out quite a bit and we almost never see repetition of the fatigue failure once they're used.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

jokerstone wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:31 pm
Hi there

2015 Nissan Rogue sv awd

Was driving today and noticed a rattle. Looked underneath and the main heat shield (long flat ish piece- pic attached) is coming loose and rattling. Is this thing bolted down or simply hangs there? Feels like it’s gonna fall out. Anyways is there a way to secure this somehow? Further along the exhaust there’s ring clamps that I added to secure and it worked. This however doesn’t seem to have any area to do that? Maybe take that bolt out and add a large washer?
Suggestions?
This is a common problem on the 1st and 2nd gen Rogue's. It's been discussed ad nauseam, with solutions posted. Merged with (one of many) existing topic.

jokerstone

What is that bolt, bolted into? Safe to spray some wd 40 on it for removal?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/paulin ... 1000132175

That would suffice?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's a stud with a nut, not a bolt. Yes, WD will usually suffice. They don't generally seize, even though they often look nasty.

jokerstone

Imageanyone have this part of the heat shield come off? I didn’t even need to tug hard and the thing just slipped off. I’ll be getting the washers today and putting them everywhere it seems

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

jokerstone wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:04 am
anyone have this part of the heat shield come off?
Most common in salt states, but yes, I've seen that happen even here in Arkansas. That shield is big but it's still tin. What happens with that one in particular is that once one fastener corrodes loose, vibration and wind fatigue the other three one by one and hasten their demise..

jokerstone

Still fixable the same way it seems with the washer? Looks that way at least

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

jokerstone wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:11 pm
Still fixable the same way it seems with the washer? Looks that way at least
Yep. Just don't use weenie washers, it will only repeat the exercise. Fender washers at least 1", and some RTV underneath them won't hurt.

jokerstone

Got it all fixed up! The washers worked perfectly! Thanks vstar650

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Happy motoring!

importnewby
Car: '15 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ tech pkg

I joined this forum for this Thread. Thank you. I had a super minor rattle that would come and go so i did not think much of it, until 2 days ago... I was taking a drive like any other day, turning onto a main Rd. I accelerated through the corner to merge in when catastrophe struck, or so I thought. "Rattle" doesn't begin to describe this noise (i may be sensitive to car noises) I thought something horrific happened, I mean this sounded worse then when I blew a connecting rod and drove home with 3 working cylinders for 30 minutes in a Canadian Cold snap (-35c). I pulled over and took a look and to my delight it was the Exhaust heat guard the came loose, so I drove home in excruciatingly loud fashion, every pedestrian took a look at the car assumed to be pooched and its meagre and embarrassed driver. So that's the story of how...

Once i got it home I let it, and myself cooldown. I went into research mode and came across this as well as a few other threads. to be clear this was not the "rattle" from SB 2008-2014 Rogue Exhaust center Tube Heat Shield Rattle. This was the full Exhaust heat shield that came loose and was contacting the Drivetrain and thus resulting in the terrible noises. In my research i saw a pretty equal mix of Rip it out, take it to a shop ($300+) or get it fixed via warranty. Since warranty was not an option for me at this point i was leaning on the rip it out side, WTF does it actually do anyways? But from what i read here it is there for a reason so i decided to at least try. Then came the how. I didnt like the idea of pop rivets because of the pre-drilling and the minimal contact surface since i dont want to do this again in 2 or 3 years. The 3 nuts holding it on were difficult to get to, and i thought they looked pretty rusted, so i went with a self tapping 3/4 inch (length) screw with a large washer to increase the surface area of the connection to hopefully avoid this from happening again in the future. This could not have been easier, i was surprised at how well the self tapping screws worked, if you're not very adept with a drill you may want to look for HEX headed screws to minimize slipping/stripping(just be careful where you drill), I went as close to possible to where it was originally secured to make sure i did not drill into anything that could result in damage. So for about 50 cents worth of washers and some self tapping screws i dont even remember buying i expect this fix to last much longer the Nissan's original design.

quick edit - if you do this check to see if the new position of the shield (it changed very minimally) causes any contact to either the exhaust or the drivetrain and bend shield accordingly otherwise you will be back under your car in minutes.

Thanks!

nissanroguebird
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL

Same issue - rattling sound from underbody. Happened twice. Both times a heat shield had come loose. Pulled them out and rattle has disappeared.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Just don't ever remove the ones on the front face of the catalytic converter and J-pipe. Ethylene glycol vapor has a very low flash point, and removing those particular shields can turn your car into a torch if you get a pinhole leak in the radiator. Don't go there. If those shields are rattling and can't be clamped down, replace them.

Return to “Rogue Forum”