Rogue in snow

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
E.T.

So I pulled out onto the unplowed street today so I could snowblow my driveway, and I damn near got stuck. There is a lot of snow, but not a ton. Maybe 6 inches of so with higher drifts. Anyway, I had a Jeep Liberty before this, and never ran into this issue. I'm thinking maybe I was just not using the right settings? At first, I just had the Rogue in the default mode, which is "intelligent" AWD. When I realized I was getting stuck, I turned on 4WD lock, which seemed to help a little. Finally, after some trial and error, I realized traction control was on. Once I turned that off, things seemed better.

Is turning off traction control when trying to get through/out of deep snow the best bet?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

E.T. wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Is turning off traction control when trying to get through/out of deep snow the best bet?
yes and also helps if you have at least 6/32" tread depth remaining on your tires

E.T.

04pathse wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:17 pm
E.T. wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm

yes and also helps if you have at least 6/32" tread depth remaining on your tires
Cool, thanks! Will keep this in mind.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

That's good to know, I haven't run into that yet, but it'll be my first winter with the Rogue and I'm in Canada so I can definitely expect a lot of this.. Shame, I never had this issue with the QX4 either, however I think a lot of it might be the weight of the vehicle, the Rogue is nearly 1200lbs lighter, the same goes with the original posters Jeep Liberty, I looked up a 2010 model, and it's nearly 1000lbs heaver as well. I imagine it really helps get friction from the gravitational force

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Yes.

Big Red Rogue
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

I always turn off traction control in deep-ish snow...even on cars.

KoiMaxx
Car: 2017 Rogue SL AWD

I'm assuming you already have set of winter tires mounted. If you use all-seasons they'll work marginally ok when new because of the tread depth, but they still lag behind dedicated winter tires due to the softer tire compound and more aggressive tread pattern. It might also help loading the rear with ballast just to get more traction on the rear wheels. :)

Big Red Rogue
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Mine is pretty good in the snow. THe last snowstorm, I was chasing a 4 door Wrangler around the neighborhood, just because I could. Traction control was off as it is the worst; people just need to learn to drive.

dubnationd
Car: 2015 Rogue

we had our first snow two weeks ago about 10 inches. I was one of the first one out of my neighborhood I had no issues whatsoever. the neighborhood streets were not plowed yet there were some tire tracks in the snow though. I'd check the tires first if you're having problems in the snow. my 2015 Rouge S did very well now i have confidence driving in snow.

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Can confirm my 2008 effortlessly rolled out of nearly 1ft-2ft of snow today without awd on or traction control off, was slightly disappointed as it's the first time I got to drive around in a snowstorm with it and my RWD/4WD QX4 used to be so much fun in snow if you wanted to mess around, but the Rogue just handles really well and kinda sucks the fun out of it for me lol..

Any tips on how FWD/int-AWD drifting? haha

jryka

Where I live you can drive on the beach. It gets fluffy and windblown and sometimes/rarely they will post 4X4 only no AWD. I think our Rogues, because they have an awd lock and traction control on/off, act as 4x4's. I never get stuck in any event, just wondering what other posters might think.

SanMan814
Car: 2017 Rogue Sport SV

I have a Rogue Sport and it sucks in bad weather (with stock tires) I just ordered new tires. The OE tires are close to worn (32,000 plus miles)

I hope the new tires help I got the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. They have really good snow and rain ratings.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

My wife's Rogue has almost 50,000 miles on the OEM Dunlops, about 3/32" tread left. We have had 49" of snow so far this season and she has not had any issues at all driving in the default settings. Largest snow at one time was 9". Our road is usually not plowed for at least a day or two after each snow so the AWD system definitely gets used. I have no doubts it would be even better with new tires, and snow tires on this thing would be fantastic. But not really needed for as little snow as we get. Most snows are around 3-5" at a time. YMMV.

Maximus099
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

We've gotten almost 72" of snow in certain parts of Quebec this winter and love getting out there with my new Nokian tires. Feels really planted to the ground and even better on Ice. That light followed by the lost of power doesnt come on as often.

tedc
Car: 2023 Nissan Rogue SV
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

My 2018 Rogue came with Hankook Dynapro HT tires which are not very good in the snow or on ice. My plan is to replace them before next winter with all weather (not all season) winter rated tires like the top rated Michelin CrossClimate. Having the right tires makes all the difference in winter driving.

TheRogue
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

@tedc,

Did you get the all weather tires? If so, which ones. And how well did they work?

I got a used 2011 Nissan Rogue 2-1/2 years ago. It came with all season tires. But also winter tires not on rims.

So for the past 2 winters I've had the tires swapped on the 18" rims.

But the all season and winter tires look like they only have 1 or 2 more seasons left. So I've been wondering what tires to get next.

I happen to have 16" steel rims I can get winter tires for for our Rogue.

But I'm wondering if all weather tires might be an option. This would be good, if it works, if my daughter ends up using the car when she graduates university. That way she wouldn't have to worry so much about swapping tires.

Having winter tires is awesome though. This is the car my oldest is learning to drive on. Here, just outside Toronto, Ontario, Canada . . . we had a big snow storm last year. I took my daughter to a big open parking lot before they plowed it. The Rogue was up to its rocker panels in snow. My intent was to let me daughter get used to handling a car if it lost traction and to try to rock the car out of a snow drift if you got stuck in one.

We could do neither.

With AWD and the snow tires, we couldn't get the car to slip out.

And we couldn't get it stuck in the parking lot.

I even turned traction control off.

When I planted it in a deep pile of snow, all we had to do was tap the gas and the Rogue just neatly pulled itself out. LOL.

Take care. :)
The Rogue

tedc
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

TheRogue wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:40 am
@tedc,

Did you get the all weather tires? If so, which ones. And how well did they work?

I got a used 2011 Nissan Rogue 2-1/2 years ago. It came with all season tires. But also winter tires not on rims.

So for the past 2 winters I've had the tires swapped on the 18" rims.

But the all season and winter tires look like they only have 1 or 2 more seasons left. So I've been wondering what tires to get next.

I happen to have 16" steel rims I can get winter tires for for our Rogue.

But I'm wondering if all weather tires might be an option. This would be good, if it works, if my daughter ends up using the car when she graduates university. That way she wouldn't have to worry so much about swapping tires.

Having winter tires is awesome though. This is the car my oldest is learning to drive on. Here, just outside Toronto, Ontario, Canada . . . we had a big snow storm last year. I took my daughter to a big open parking lot before they plowed it. The Rogue was up to its rocker panels in snow. My intent was to let me daughter get used to handling a car if it lost traction and to try to rock the car out of a snow drift if you got stuck in one.

We could do neither.

With AWD and the snow tires, we couldn't get the car to slip out.

And we couldn't get it stuck in the parking lot.

I even turned traction control off.

When I planted it in a deep pile of snow, all we had to do was tap the gas and the Rogue just neatly pulled itself out. LOL.

The Rogue
Yes, I did. Installed Kumho Crugens all weather with the mountain snowflakes symbol (snow rated). I live near Buffalo, so a winter tire for me needs to be good on ice and snow. The stock tires were Hankook Dynapros which offered a smoother ride, but were terrible in the winter. Would slide forever on ice and spin on anything over 3" of snow. Compared to my AWD Ford Escape with Michelin snows, the Rogue is just as capable without any loss in MPG. Handling improved over stock tires (tighter steering feel and corners better), but the ride is a little harsher. I run them at 31 PSI with even tire wear, unlike the stock tires that needed 34 PSI to wear right. Decided to try out all weather tires to avoid having a dedicated set of winter tires, very pleased with the results. Regarding Canada, drove up to Markham a few times before the travel restrictions and the Rogue had no issues with your SNOW and ICE. :-)

TheRogue

@tedc,

Thank you for the reply / update. :)

It sounds like you are happy with the tires. That was the feedback I was hoping to hear.

I am thinking this is the route I am going to go.

The route I'm thinking of taking is getting All-Weather tires for my 18" alloy rims. I found the Goodyear Assurance is made in the size 225/55R18. So I am going to see if they are available around here. And also see what other brands are available in that size.

My thinking is . . . that still leaves me with the option to get dedicated snow tires on the 16" steel rims I have from my old minivan if I want down the road. (2007 Dodge Grand Caravan. I was about to get rid of them when the tire place I go to have my tires swapped on my 18" rims told me that the rims from my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan would fit my 2011 Nissan Rogue. He just knew that off the top of his head. I went and checked, and all the specs are the same except CB. But all the tire guys I talk to say that is OK.)

The other piece of the puzzle is insurance. I get a discount for running winter tires. I sent off an email to the insurance company to verify that All-Weather tires (with the Mountain/Snow symbol) meet their requirement of using winter tires. Just waiting for a response.

Looking at how All-Weather tires perform against winter or All-Season tires . . . I think they actually meet my driving requirements better.

https://info.kaltire.com/all-weather-vs ... ter-tires/

They drive a lot better than All-Season tires in the winter.

And although not as good on ice and snow as a dedicated winter tire, it says it is better than a winter tire on wet asphalt at around 5 degrees. Which, around the city, that is what I mostly drive on because as soon as snow hits, they salt the roads so we are driving on wet asphalt or dry asphalt most of the time. Not on snow or ice.

Thanks again!

TheRogue.

tedc
2021 Nissan Sentra SV

Really hard to beat a dedicated snow tire on snow packed roads or ice. However, you give up on a few areas; MPG drops (Michelin all season to Michelin snows dropped MPG 2+), tread noise increases (especially on the highway), handling suffers (steering not as crisp and feels sloppy with temps above 35 degrees F) and they don't perform as well on wet roads. Pretty confident in saying a FWD car with snows or all-weather tires will out perform a similar AWD with all-seasons in both ice/snow traction and braking. Keep us posted on your decision.

TheRogue

@tedc,

I just checked my tires again this weekend, and they are in better shape than I thought, so it might be 3 years before I put this plan into action.

The manufacture dates for both my summer and winter tires are Dec 2017. I got the vehicle used in Nov 2018, so it looks like each set only had one season on them before we got the vehicle.

So, this is looking like I'll be getting the All Weather tires at about the time my daughter will be taking over the vehicle.

But that means I will be having my summer / winter tires swapped (mounted / dismounted) from my single set of 18" rims for the next few years. Cha-ching!!! :tisk:

They gave us the winter tires free, so I'm still coming out ahead. But I never got 18" steel rims because I figured . . . when these winter tire wore out, I'd get either 16" or 17" steel rims. I just wasn't expecting the 18" winter tires to have that much life on them. LOL.

And now, because I am considering the All Weather tires, I'm really not wanting to have any more steel rims around. (But have the 16" rims from my Dodge.)

Take care! :)
TheRogue.

TheRogue

Ok . . . I finally pulled the trigger on getting All-Weather tires.

:)

I had been running All-Season tires in the summer and Winter tires in the winter. But at the end of last winter, the tire guys said the winter tires were done. And during this summer, I could see the All-Season tires were done. Pretty much close to the Wear Indicator.

With a car this old (knock on wood) (2011 Nissan Rogue), I didn't want to buy 2 sets of tires.

So I bought a set of General Altimax 365AW All-Weather Tires. And I am planning this to be the only set of tires. (Of course with proper rotation.) :)

So far I am loving them.

I actually got General Altimax 365AW tires for my 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan in the Spring (as my summer tires were done last Fall) and they seem fine.

So, we'll see how these babies do this winter! :)

I already checked with my insurance company and because it has the 3-peak symbol on the tires I still get the "winter tire discount".

Take care! :)
TheRogue

C-ya
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I'll check these out for our rides. I'm a General Tire fan and have ran their snow tires and summer tires. Keep us posted on how they do in the snow. Where are you that your insurance gives a snow tire discount? Never thought to ask for that.

TheRogue

@C-ya

Well do. :) I will come back and make a post.

(Since these are my 1st sets of All-Weather tires that I'll be using through winter, I am really curious on how they work out. And for my minivan, even though I have winter tires still, I'm planning to leave these AW tires on until after the 1st snow fall, just to see how they do in the snow. And then swap to the winter tires to compare them. (But probably not the same snowfall. LOL. I'm too lazy for that. LOL.))

To be honest I didn't know about General Tire. But the tire guys I've been going to for years pointed them out. And in the Canadian Tire advertising book on tires, they are rated #2, right behind Michelin. The Michelin CrossClimate 2 got 92.9. The General Tire Altimax 365AW got 91.2.

RE: Winter Tire Discount
We're here in Ontario, Canada. Winter tires are not required (I think they are required in Quebec).

If I lived in the snow belt, and not so near a major city, I think I would lean more towards getting the dedicated Winter tires. But we'll see after this winter trial. :)

I can't remember where I learned about this. Whether that was through an article, or if the insurance company sent something out. I kinda think my wife read something from the insurance company and pointed it out to me.

Take care!
TheRogue

C-ya

OK, so a Canuckian thing. We don't have any requirements for snows, and we aren't allowed studs in Michigan. Being a Florida transplant, I take every opportunity to be safe even though I know how to drive in the snow now. I have all terrain tires that are 3PMS rated and I didn't put my dedicated snows on my Touareg last winter. I have a separate set of wheels for the VW and my wife's Santa Fe, but I haven't bought a second set for my daughter's Rouge. All three are AWD, and with a set of snows, you are like a mountain goat. If the VW AT tires do good again this winter, I may sell the extra wheels and tires for it and grab some AW tires for the wife and daughter when they need new tires.

TheRogue

@C-ya

LOL. Perhaps a Canuckian thing.

What type of tires are your ATs? And post what you think of them after some snow. :)

RE: Daughter + Rogue . . . although the Rogue is my wife's car . . . I was thinking that when my daughter graduates that she will probably need it to get to work. So I wanted to try out the AW tires now and see if that would be enough. Down the road, if she moves away . . . swapping to winter tires may be problematic. (No place to store winter tires where she is. And may be tough to make time to get back here to swap tires.) And on the other hand . . . even if we decide to get winter tires down the road, having AW tires on the vehicle in the summer means that if you miss swapping tires before the 1st snowfall, you'd still have more traction than All Season tires.

I have steel rims that I think I can get winter tires on for the rogue (16"?) Trying these AW tires out, but trying to leave myself a way out. LOL. :)

Take care,
TheRogue

C-ya

I had the AT's on last winter. I'll keep them on for the first couple of snows to see if they are still doing what I want. The tires are Kenda Klever A/T2. They are 3PMS rated. With tires getting better and better, I may be able to use AT that are 3PMS rated or AW tires and stop the swap.

The snow tires for my VW and the wife's Hyundai are Sumitomo Ice Edge. I bought Atturo AW730 snow tires for the Rogue. (They are labelled "AW" tires, but they are actually soft snow tires.) They were decent but not as good as the General Altimax Artics we have used before or the current Sumitomos, but much better in the snow than the Nakangs that are the AS tires that were on it when we bought it. The Nankangs are much better in the wet and dry than I thought they would be but they are starting to get checked sidewalls and they are only 2 years old. They royally sucked in the snow. I may let her burn the Atturos up next year rather than switch back and then get some AWs for it.

From my thread on Club Touareg January of this year:
C-ya, post: 2136457, member: 231125 wrote: Anyway, the tires did great in the snow and slush/frozen slop today after about 3 or 4 inches of wet, heavy snow yesterday. I went out today to test them out, and they performed at about 90-95% of my true snow tires in present conditions. Where my snows lacked, these lacked, mainly icy straight-line stops. I slid up to / almost past my turn for my road with both. I learned with my snows where to start braking, and I now know that these require that same technique. Straight-line take off from a standstill were both about equal - meaning straight and great. These tires hooked up, both in snow and with some ice underneath. I think I'll keep these on this winter and use the snows next winter as the edges won't be sharp on these at that time. Compared to the all-seasons on the AWD Nissan Rogue I bought for my daughter, they are worlds better. Snows will get mounted on the Rogue this week or next. I forgot how sketchy it is driving on all-seasons in the snow and ice.

Picture of the road today. This is about how every road is around here right now. Temp was 24°F / -4°C at the time the picture was taken.

And this April...
C-ya, post: 2143919, member: 231125 wrote: 2,800 mile tire update. These tires have driven through snow and ice, rain, and of course, dry weather. They have done everything that I could ask for in a tire without feeling like clunky ATs. Panic stop? Gotcha covered. Spirited turns and driving? Right there with ya. Wet weather traction is superb, and as I said above, snow traction is about 90-95% of what my dedicated snow tires gave. I never felt unsafe with them on. Obviously you can get yourself in trouble with any tire given the right conditions, but I didn't feel like I couldn't venture out in the snow with these tires. They are, after all, 3PMSF rated.

Noise is very minimal for an AT - barely noticeable over the radio. They are slightly louder than the tires that came off, but certainly not intolerable or disturbing. Turning lock was not affected - no rub at full lock in either direction.

All in all, I'm really liking them. I'll see how they feel come next winter to determine if I put the snows on or leave these on again.

TheRogue

Ok.

I am totally impressed with the General Tire Altimax 365AW tires.

We finally had a bit of snow here and I had a chance to drive around in the snow, and these tires really held their own.

1) Spring - Ok. I didn't have these tires on my Rogue in Spring. But I did just get them on my Dodge Grand Caravan in March. In the wet weather they really moved the water aside well. And it really felt like I was sticking to the road. Even when the temperatures would get cooler.

2) Summer - Ok. I didn't have these tires on my Rogue in the Summer. But I did have these tires on my Dodge Grand Caravan all summer. And they rode really well. Stuck to the road no matter what. Even going through deep puddles, these tires just moved the water aside and drove straight through the water. The gas mileage did not seem to change much, if any.

3) Fall - This is when I put these tires on my Rogue. These tires really held well on the road. And when it got cooler (down to 1-2 Degrees C) the tires did not get stiff. They really seemed to stick to the road better than a standard set of All Season tires. Even when the it was 1-2 Degrees C and the roads were wet, these tires really stuck to the road. When driving around these cold / wet conditions with All Season tires, I would get used to the tires slipping out a bit. And just accounted for that driving around. But these All Weather tires stuck a lot better in cold / wet weather. (If I decide to get winter tires again for this car or another . . . I would probably also get All Weather tires for the warmer months [instead of All Season] . . . so that during the overlap seasons [Spring and Fall], when the temperatures are down around 1-2 degrees and the roads are wet that I don't slip around as much. To me, it was that much noticeably better.)

4) Winter (so far) - So we really only had 2-3 snowfalls.

The 1st one it was a light dusting. The snow was on the roads, but was gone in about 1/2 an hour. But I had to drive around that morning. It was cold 1-2 Degrees C. And the tires really felt like they were sticking to the bare road (even in the cold.) The light snow drifts, it had no problem with at all. And I did find a small patch of ice covered in a bit of snow, so while I was driving over it I hit the brakes to see how the tires reacted. The tires slipped . . . but that is to be expected. It was ice covered with a light drift of snow. :) But with the ABS kicking in, these tires stopped in a reasonable distance. I was trying to imagine going over the same snow covered ice with dedicated Snow Tires . . . and I assume I would have stopped a bit shorter, but the dedicated Snow Tires would have also slipped. But I was totally comfortable with what the General Tire Altimax 365AW tires did. When there is a chance of ice . . . you should be leaving extra stopping distance as a general rule anyway.

We finally had a bigger snowfall on Dec 23rd (2022). Lots of accidents on the highway. And the highway got shut down west of us. I was at work when the snow started. And had to drive through the start of the snowfall. Living near the city and near main roads, this is probably the most snow I would have to drive through. Snowdrifts were sometimes 5-6 inches. And as I got further out from the city the highway was not freshly plowed. So the center lane was snow covered. And there were only tire tracks cleared on the outside 2 lanes. I kept my speed down. Maxing out at 70-100 KM depending on road conditions. But I noticed that the tires still felt nice and soft. Where they hit pavement, they really stuck. And when driving through the 2-4 inches of snow, the tires seemed to move the snow out of the way really well. At 5-6 inches, the car would shift as the snow moved around. But I always felt in control. With all-wheel-drive . . . I would just aim the tires in the direction I wanted to go, press the gas a bit, and I'd go in that direction. These tires, working with the all-wheel-drive had no problem helping me go in the direction I wanted to go. :)

Conclusion:

I was really impressed with the General Tire 365 AW.

I'm glad I got them on the van. I'm glad I got them on our Rogue.

My dad needs new tires for his car, and I told him that his next set of tires should be All Weather. If I can get the General Tire 365 AW for his car I'm going to get them. (But there is a chance it will be sold out. I already talked to the place I go to get tires. If so . . . we might get a different brand of AW tires. We'll see. But it's going to be AW tires we get. :) )

TheRogue

NOTE:

The "OK" for the Spring and Summer weren't a "scoring". LOL. I would have rated both those "Great". LOL. The "OK" was just saying that these were on my Van, not Rogue. LOL.

So . . .

1) Spring - Great!!! Ok, so I didn't have these tires on my Rogue in Spring. But I did just get them on my Dodge Grand Caravan in March. In the wet weather they really moved the water aside well. And it really felt like I was sticking to the road. Even when the temperatures would get cooler.

2) Summer - Great!!! Ok, so I didn't have these tires on my Rogue in the Summer. But I did have these tires on my Dodge Grand Caravan all summer. And they rode really well. Stuck to the road no matter what. Even going through deep puddles, these tires just moved the water aside and drove straight through the water. The gas mileage did not seem to change much, if any.

LOL.

I am very happy with the General Tire Altimax 365AW tires! :)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

:cool: lets start a new and seperate thread just with pics of Rogues in the snow!

Return to “Rogue Forum”