Rising from the Ashes. The Rally 240SX rebuild thread.

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

They say there are only 2 kinds of rally drivers, those who have wrecked, and those who will. I finally made the jump to the later category this weekend. Due to a miscalculation on my part, the rally 240SX left the stage road of Special Stage 2 of the Ojibwe Forest Rally while traveling at a high rate of speed. We contacted a tree with the right rear corner of the car, then spun into the woods hitting more tree's with the front. We attempted to continue racing, but were forced to withdraw when damage done to the drivetrain, braking, and suspension systems made the car unsafe to drive.

So marks the end of an era. The build has finished, and so the rebuild shall commence. This will be the rebuild thread.

Without further ado, Finnish Fury Rallysport presents: NicoClub's only stage rally car The Rally 240SX, Version 1.5

Now on to the pictures.

Here is the car as we loaded her onto the trailer for the event.

And the aftermath.

Just a little tire rubbing

Like a good rally driver, the drivers side is fine.

After we got her home, I rinsed all the mud off before moving her back into the garage.

Notice the "on the fly adjustable" camber......

Hellaflush?

Time to asses the mechanical damage.

Can you count the intact control arms? You won't need your fingers or toes/

No wonder it didn't want to accelerate!!! CV axle completely exploded.

The damper and the rearward half of the lower control arm were the only things keeping the wheel from falling off completely. Every arm broken, axle blown up, damper destroyed, and brake line ripped. Even the wheel is damaged from rubbing.

So begins the rebuild.

hemifan87
Car: 2009 versa 1.8 sedan
1987 nissan 200sx

sucks about the wreck glad no one was badly hurt good luck with the rebuild

danshaz82

time for some over fenders!

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I can't believe you continued to drive that thing. Did it move into the garage under its own power?

DaniMike
Car: 1993 240sx, 1996 240sx, 2008 Altima

I cannot believe that it is still rebuildable, I am amazed!! GL and keep us posted!!

IanS

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Did it move into the garage under its own power?
Like a boss.

On the trailer, off the trailer, and into the garage all by herself.

Ajax
Car: 1991 240sx SE
2010 Mazda 5

Glad to know you're both alright. I guess its just time for the next chapter.
and to quote Star Wars,"Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them."

Lobo240sx
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx Coupe SR2.35DET Redtop Build

Glad you are ok. She promised to hold together, nice sticker. Nissan > * :gapteeth: Good luck on your rebuild.

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Dang dude thats crazy! I'm assuming you're too far in to swap shells?

IanS

krash wrote:Dang dude thats crazy! I'm assuming you're too far in to swap shells?
I have a spare shell, so a reshell is an option. I have it for just such an occasion. In this case its not worth it. The damage is so far limited to parts I can just unbolt, and bodywork. The subframe and frame are straight, just needs a new door a skin, and lots of pounding.

krash
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Convertible

Nice, I like the idea of sticking with this shell too. She's got some memories I assume!

VQpwrdSE-R
Car: 2005 Code Red Nissan Altima SE-R
2013 Nissan Altima SV

:popcorn: Subscribed for version 1.5

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

FlatBlackIan wrote:
PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:Did it move into the garage under its own power?
Like a boss.
:yesnod :badger :BnB:
In classic 240 fashion. She might fuss, but she'll hold together and get you where you need to be.

Kinda reminds me of when Sebastien Loeb did this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA2XwW1d ... F11143FA31
except he kept going, and drove like that on public roads until he got to the service park. I wish I could find that video/picture.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I did however manage to come across this gem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQj7zyLt ... F11143FA31
I remember when that happened.

IanS

DaniMike wrote:I cannot believe that it is still rebuildable, I am amazed!! GL and keep us posted!!
Ye of little faith. ;)
Ajax wrote:Glad to know you're both alright. I guess its just time for the next chapter.
and to quote Star Wars,"Sir, if any of my circuits or gears will help, I'll gladly donate them."
You haven't any choice in the matter. You already gave me a set of stock lower control arms. I will be putting one of them to use lol.

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

FlatBlackIan wrote:Like a good rally driver, the drivers side is fine.
:slap:

Glad you guys are all right.

Having to rebuild a cage is a pretty big hassle. Cut, mend, swap it a much easier approach. POR.

As I said on one of the facebook posts, let me know if you need anything. I'm sure you have a ton of people on here willing to send you parts if you need them.

Control arms are cheap and easy. Bumpers and metal work isn't terrible - especially when you know how to weld and have a spare car. A new coilover, on the other hand, would concern me. What are you going to do about that? I'm also really curious to know the full extent of the damage to the coilover. It doesn't look too bad in these pictures.

Ajax
2010 Mazda 5

FlatBlackIan wrote: You haven't any choice in the matter. You already gave me a set of stock lower control arms. I will be putting one of them to use lol.
Oh yeah. Glad I could help. I'm not sure what else I've got, but if I've got extras, they're yours.

IanS

DeXteR wrote:
FlatBlackIan wrote:Like a good rally driver, the drivers side is fine.
:slap:

Glad you guys are all right.

Having to rebuild a cage is a pretty big hassle. Cut, mend, swap it a much easier approach. POR.

As I said on one of the facebook posts, let me know if you need anything. I'm sure you have a ton of people on here willing to send you parts if you need them.

Control arms are cheap and easy. Bumpers and metal work isn't terrible - especially when you know how to weld and have a spare car. A new coilover, on the other hand, would concern me. What are you going to do about that? I'm also really curious to know the full extent of the damage to the coilover. It doesn't look too bad in these pictures.
The lower portion of the damper tube is caved in. Not sure if its leaking because there is brake fluid coated with dust and axle grease on everything. I am reasonable sure its junk though. Im not worried about it. These were built specifically for rally, by a guy who really only builds rally stuff. Its meant to be replaceable, repeatable, and in a better situation rebuildable.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Right, but it is also the most expensive repair I would suspect. That is all.

IanS

Well, the clock is ticking for real now. We are on the entry list for LSPR. Just under 2 months to get the car all back together. You in Dex?

Started tonight by removing all the broken parts from the RR. The damper is destroyed for sure. Waiting for word from JVAB on the cost/wait on a replacement. I installed all new control arms, but couldn't put a knuckle or axle back in because I left my 36 mm at work.

Besides the damper, I need to order a new set of brake lines, and some ATE super blue. I have a set of spare stock rubber hoses, which are good in a pinch, but I would prefer braided stainless. It would be good to have spares of those anyway.

Almost time to start on bodywork.

jsturges18
Car: 1990 240sx hatch - totaled/parts car
1990 240sx hatch - replacement
2005 pt cruiser
2004 350Z

do you plan on fixing the body to the point where it looks like nothing ever happened? or so that its just functional?

IanS

jsturges18 wrote:do you plan on fixing the body to the point where it looks like nothing ever happened? or so that its just functional?

It will never look the same again, but not for the reasons you are implying.

I plan to repair the damage to the passenger side to the point of being difficult to notice. It won't be perfect, one because I suck at body work, and 2 because its a race car and it will happen again.

That being said, there will be some very big changes to the way the car looks. Since I don't have another pignose bumper, I will be going chuki for the first time in my life. Since 2/3rds of the car will be random colors, I think its high time I paint the thing proper and make it look decent. I can't wait to see how my throwback livery turns out.

Currently uploading pictures, will post shortly.

IanS

Just put up an ad in the interior section. I am going to start stripping the interior out of the spare shell. If anyone needs anything, just make an offer. It is a complete black interior from a hatch.

1992-240sx-black-interior-t563443.html

Tear down begins.

And humpty dumpty goes back together again.

So, in my professional opinion, this canine is very unlikely to be useful in tracking or capturing.

In other words, That dog ain't gonna hunt.

Bent the shaft and the tube.

Stripped the front end. The core support took almost no damage. Looks like we will just be bolting on new stuff and calling it good. The biggest issue will be building a new light bar. Hopefully round 2 will be even more BA then last time.

And the damaged door removed.

Having a professional come look at the rear quarter next week. He is going to give me some pointers, and maybe help me out a little getting that repaired.

Ajax
2010 Mazda 5

FlatBlackIan wrote:Just put up an ad in the interior section. I am going to start stripping the interior out of the spare shell. If anyone needs anything, just make an offer. It is a complete black interior from a hatch.
Oh good god, I'm there. Must get spares!!!

IanS

That is a lot of broken.

After some pounding, and a bit of welding the core support was all straightened out. Time to for reassembly.

Bumper supports installed, and new passenger door hung.

Fenders back on, and bumper test fit.

The whole chuki bumper thing still throws me. I miss my pignose......

And finally the new hood. Still need to drill hood pin holes, and put the headlights back in. Then its time to start building a new light bar. Im actually excited for that lol.

Saddly, progress will be slow this week, have some other projects to work on. New damper may show up this week, though it will more then likely be the week after.

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

This is why I love the stock arms, stamped steel ftw, less damage to the sub frame and body.

IanS

Finally got some of the video rendered. Still working on the crash vid.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frejhmPl ... ture=g-upl[/youtube]

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Of course I'm in.

I like the Chuki front. I've never been a fan of the pig nose.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of this pans out as you and your crew have gained a lot of skill and experience since this first started.

IanS

DeXteR wrote:Of course I'm in.

I like the Chuki front. I've never been a fan of the pig nose.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of this pans out as you and your crew have gained a lot of skill and experience since this first started.

Good and good.

The Chuki bumper is growing on me. I will reserve final judgment until I see it painted and with the light bar on. I also need to get the pig lip on there. Miraculously, it survived with just a small scuff, and a tiny crack out of view when installed How does that even happen lol?

And on that note, lets watch Chris and I make funny faces as I pinball the car off trees.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXtLmII ... ture=g-upl[/youtube]

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

Sweet video man!

Return to “240sx General Discussion”