"Ringing" Engine Noise Anyone?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
aft981
Car: Infiniti EX35

Ok I just had my car in for a service, and a couple of other small things, and I told them about the high pitched electrical noise. They just called me to tell me its ready, and I asked if they had found out what the noise was, to be told they had road tested a couple of other EX's they had, and they all are the same, so its a 'characteristic of the vehicle'.

I must say, I'm not particularly happy with that response. When I drive without the radio on, the noise really annoys me.

Can I do anything else about this?

tazdevl
Car: EX35 Journey AWD Plat Graph/Stone - Fully Loaded

Get a lawyer. My car didn't do it when I bought it and if you read the other forums... this is a problem that spans EX35, G35, G37. Also tell your dealer that they are full of s***.

Call Infiniti affairs and file a complaint. Phone number is in your owners manual. If they say they haven't heard anything about it, they're lying. EVERYONE be sure you do that.

Mine does it with the radio on or off and can be heard at highway speeds. More noticeable when the car is under load i.e. accelerating or maintaining speed up a gentle grade.

I forgot to mention my radio was replaced as part of the radio preset TSB... sound is still there. So not only have they done nothing to fix the problem, the simplest solution they could have done didn't fix the issue.
Modified by tazdevl at 7:10 PM 3/4/2009

CDBranom
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX

I'm so glad there are other people out there who know what I'm going through! It's driving me absolutely nuts, and I have a 45 min commute in stop and go traffic, so the dreadful noise is on again, off again, every time I press the accelerator. It's very high pitched and happens when I press down on the gas pedal. To me it sounds like it's coming from the console area, maybe behind the nav screen. My husband cannot hear it, nor can the service advisor at the dealership. However I did have a younger technician drive around in the car with me, and he confirmed that he can hear it. He says he took my car apart and basically unplugged everything in the dash but could not find the source of the noise. He then drove other EX's on the lot and confirmed that they were making the same noise, and therefore came to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with my car. I'm pretty disappointed with the outcome, because as you all know, it's extremely bothersome and really just puts me in a bad mood every time I drive the car! I purchased my EX about 6 months ago and I've tried and tried to overlook the noise, I gave it some time and hoped I would get used to it, but unfortunately now it has gotten the better of me and I can't take it anymore! I hope infiniti can come up with a solution. I have emailed this Mark Igo person who's email address was provided earlier in this string, but I haven't heard back. Who else should I send my complaint to? Thanks!!

CDBranom

Also I brought my car in about a month ago for this same noise and they said it was the fuel pump or something. They replaced the part but obviously it did not correct the problem.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Welcome to NICO, CDBranom!!

Sorry to hear about your problems ... make sure you document everything that's happened with names, dates, etc, as much as possible. Hopefully, the power of information sharing using NICO and the Internet will triumph in the end!

BTW, didn't someone report that once their Bose speaker was replaced, the noise went away?!?

Cheers,David

splautz
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey /w Premium, Nav, Tech, Luxe Style

dividedhighw wrote:Welcome to NICO, CDBranom!!

Sorry to hear about your problems ... make sure you document everything that's happened with names, dates, etc, as much as possible. Hopefully, the power of information sharing using NICO and the Internet will triumph in the end!

BTW, didn't someone report that once their Bose speaker was replaced, the noise went away?!?

Cheers,David
They gave me a loaner EX35 when I had mine in for service and it too was making the ringing noise. So I agree it's probably happening with all of them. I was wondering too whether replacing the speaker (passenger side?) fixed the issue. If so, I'd go get mine replaced. maybe someone should try disconnecting that speaker just to confirm that is indeed where the noise is coming from.

BrokenTiller

-try using your balance control in the stereo to turn off the right speakers. Should be a simple test.FYI, I don' t hear ringing in my EX.

dividedhighw

As previously stated, I don't have this problem either.

Disconnecting the speaker would seem to be a useful test, if that's easy enough to do.

However, I think it's being reported that this sound occurs whether or not you have the stereo on (at least that was my impression); if so, I wouldn't think the Balance control would impact it.

Just a thought,David

splautz
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD Journey /w Premium, Nav, Tech, Luxe Style

It doesn't always occur. There is some randomness to it. Also lower rpm it seems to go away when it is occurring. Whether the radio is on or off, has no effect.

tazdevl
Car: EX35 Journey AWD Plat Graph/Stone - Fully Loaded

splautz wrote:
They gave me a loaner EX35 when I had mine in for service and it too was making the ringing noise. So I agree it's probably happening with all of them. I was wondering too whether replacing the speaker (passenger side?) fixed the issue. If so, I'd go get mine replaced. maybe someone should try disconnecting that speaker just to confirm that is indeed where the noise is coming from.
Disagree completely. Driven some new ones at another dealership. Nary a noise.

Also if you read the link on the G37 forums, about half the people there have the noise.

One thing to note... going through my service records, my dealer made note that the cause of the noise may be the ECM. As others have mentioned as well... radio on/off doesn't make a difference. I've also noticed that it's louder with the headlights on.

MagicMan2000
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD

ECM - that has to do with the traction control, right?

I suspect that it is coming from behind the Nav Screen or perhaps the center channel speaker. I had someone else drive my EX while I crawled around the vehicle trying to geolocate the source of the high pitch and always came back to the center console. It sounds like it's coming from the top somewhere, but cannot be sure.

Taz, haven't noticed/tried with the headlights on to see if the noise gets louder, I'll let you know if I can replicate your finding. If so, perhaps the more electrical load is put on the system, the louder the noise gets...?

As usual, for the time being, it's more of the same that's got us looking like

RollerEx35
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 graphite ext & int

I am having the same problem just started hearing the noise about a month ago. I had an oil change today and had the dealer check it out, the tech road with me but he didn't hear anything even though I heard it while we were driving, he said perhaps it was out of his hearing and he would have someone else try it. dealer called me back later and said they couldn't replicate the noise but when i drove it home i heard it

aft981

I had the opposite problem...my dealer did hear it, in fact several people there heard it. The problem was, they also heard it in a couple of other EX's and G's they took out.But I didn't hear it in the G37 loaner I got for the day.

So thus far, we know the noise does exist.Not all the time.Not in every vehicle.

Someone up above mentioned their noise was cured when their Bose speakers were replaced. I'm going to put this out there, a quick poll of those who have the ringing noise and those who don't....do you or do you not have the Bose system.

My EX does have it, and I have the ringing.The G37 loaner I had did not have the ringing, and didn't have a Bose system.The EX loaner I had a few months ago did not have the Bose and didn't have the ringing.

sg77
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I have the ringing in my EX, which has the Bose system (I have Journey RWD with Premium, Nav, Tech, Luxe Style).Regarding tazdevl's post, the noise sounds the same to me regardless of whether the headlights are on or off.

RollerEx35

I also have the Bose system and the ringing noise

MagicMan2000
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD

I too have the Bose system and the ringing noise...

I've also had the G35x loaner with no Bose system and no ringing noise...

Maybe we're onto something here?

mik3025
Car: 2008 Black on Black AWD EX35 and 2007 Black AWD Audi TTS Roadster

I have the Bose system and NO ringing noise

dividedhighw

I also have the Bose system without any ringing noise.

David

CDBranom

I have the Bose system in my EX and also have the high pitched noise.

I've driven a loaner G35 that did not have the Bose and did not have the noise.

I REALLY hope you guys are on to something!! Although I still hear the noise when the radio is off. It doesn't sound like it's coming from the speakers - it's more like the center console area (behind the Nav screen). Is there a way to unplug the speakers, such as unplugging a fuse, to test this theory?

aft981

I guess our systems are different to those of old, when cutting the power to the stereo meant it was turned off and the speakers were off? I think our speakers are always 'on' - they are used for the nav, and the voice activated controls (which I can't figure out if that is standard on even the base model or if voice activation is an option in one of the packages). Correct me if I'm wrong. This would explain why turning the stereo off makes no difference (if it is indeed something to do with the Bose speakers/wiring/grounding that is making this noise).

The other issue, as I've mentioned before, is that with age, we generally lose ability to hear higher frequencies. Interesting article:

http://saunderslog.com/2006/06...r-it/

Someone would have to do a test somehow to find what frequency the noise is that our cars are making, but there's a good chance it is in the 15+Khz range, which might be inaudible to people in their 40s+.

At the end of that article I linked to, are 4 pure sine wave recordings at 15, 16, 17 & 18Khz. I could hear them all, I'm 28. One of my colleagues in her 40s couldn't hear 16, 17 or 18Khz.

Again, clutching at straws, but this might be why some people can and some can't hear it.

sg77

On the website aft981 mentioned, I could hear the 15, 16, 17 kHz, but not the 18. I'm 31. One thing I found interesting is that with the 17 kHz, the position of my ears made a big difference in whether I could hear it. I've noticed that with the noise in the car too; moving my head sometimes changes whether I hear it.

RollerEx35

does anyone have any updates on this?

GoGoG37

On G37, the noise comes from behind the Navi. More towards passenger side wall.

bstroh
Car: 2009 ex35

Hey all

I have a 2009 ex35 and heard the noise on the second day, like all of you i thought i was hearing things but the noise got louder and appears to be getting louder. I took it in to my dealer and apparently it is the fuel pump and infiniti has ordered a recall. So i should have mine replaced soon. Just to confirm it is exactly the same sound as all of you are hearing, and it appears to come from the back. The guy at infiniti said that the fuel pump is underneath the back right seat, if this is the case then it would explain why i can't hear it if i turn my head away from the back. I hope this helps, and i'm hoping to get it fixed next friday, i'll be sure to post the results.

cheers

dividedhighw

Welcome to NICO from a fellow Canadian, bstroh!!

I had a noisy fuel pump that was replaced and it wasn't the high-pitched noise being described in this thread. Nevertheless, I hope your noise goes away when you get your fuel pump changed.

Please post again once that's been done to let us all know!

Cheers,David

bstroh

Hi and thanks for the welcome!

I sure hope it's the fuel pump cause the noise is getting worse. I think it's the same as people here are describing it cause I've described the noise the exact same way. I spoke to an Infiniti tech guy and he said it had to do with one of the on board computers, it was the service manager who said fuel pump. I guess if it's not the pump (fingers crossed) then they'll have to look at the grounding for the wiring and computers. But one thing is for certain that sound has to go. I'll keep you posted.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I'm sorry to admit that I skimmed parts of this thread to address the OPs issue.

There have been instances of silicone collecting*(see note below) inside the heater core causing a bottle neck when flow is increased during acceleration. This can actually be resolved by back flushing the heater core. Fortunately there is a TSB that addresses this, on the few that I have seen the noise typically occurs at higher RPM range or >1/2 throttle take offs. There is a decent chance that you may be experiencing this, I have seen very few issues with the audio units, although many are replaced as a blanket fix (they do control almost all AV functions these days).

Although without driving your car it's only a blind guess. I'll try to get that bulletin number Monday. It is theoretically possible if the debris collect at another choke point and cause a variation in pitch or volume.

* NoteI know some of you will read that and be mad about it, the fact is the coolant circuit is very much like your circulatory system. A small amount of plaque moves and can cause a heart attack or stroke, in your car it can cause a noise.

I'm going to go back and re-read this thread as IMO the Burr-Brown/Bose setup is tuned correctly with a proper digital file produces one of the best full range audio experiences you can buy. I don't think I have seen the Stereophile article in a while. If you are using the radio (unless is SAT with a perfect reception) or and AUX input your output will only be as clean headphone output, unless you have a direct link using the Firewire cord, although I think using the CF with 4 gigs of your favorite music. MP3 format CDs work very well too for storing a larger amount of music. Then there is also the Music Box with the ability to hold 8 gigs (it's not enough for some, but it's something). Before throwing out the premium package you payed extra for try all the features, and spend some time tuning (although basic) to soot the needs of your music. I have had a few people come in with this complaint, and a few adjustments and understanding the design is a true 2.1 setup so the rear seat passengers will not hear it correctly.

Sound frequencies are very highly subjective as the above link illustrates. The ability for everyone's brain to process sound waves is never going to happen no matter how much research they do. The Bose units of the past are changing in extreme ways. For the people without the Audio Stage option there are limitations to the OE stereo system, but the audio unit cannot be removed or disabled without compromising several key tech features.

sg77

SteveTheTech wrote:There have been instances of silicone collecting inside the heater core causing a bottle neck when flow is increased during acceleration. ... on the few that I have seen the noise typically occurs at higher RPM range or >1/2 throttle take offs.
The high pitched noise I'm talking about sounds like it's electronically-generated. I don't think it's a mechanical thing like that heater core issue. The noise I hear happens as soon as I press the gas pedal (so at low RPM too), and the noise is always the same volume and pitch, regardless of RPM. It reminds me of a noise I sometimes hear when a TV first turns on. On the site aft981 linked to, it sounds similar to the "15102 Hz pure sine wave" and "Mosquito" examples. (note that the link above seems to not work anymore; this one works for me: http://saunderslog.com/2006/06/12/

bstroh

Hi

So, i had the fuel pump replaced today and it did not work, even though infiniti has recalled them due to this problem. The service people at my garage are great! They've been really helpful and are doing there best, so hats off to them. So we have all decided to keep at it until the problem is fixed. i'm taking my car in next week, and we'll go from there. Once we figure it out, i'll post the solution and hopefully it works for others. Good luck!

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

SG77- The first time I saw this noise I tore the dash board and gauge cluster hunting for what the buzzing noise was. I managed to find this noise by pinching off the heater inlet and low and behold the noise changing pitch. That's a quick test you may be able to try to rule this out. If that does not work and the noise persists once the radio is off, it is something out of the ordinary, and if you can figure out what has impact on the noise in any way.This will give you some better luck when you take it in for this problem.

bstroh~ I do not know what to tell you. I have replaced many of these in the past two + weeks with the updated part and have seen absolutely no issue. I would bring it back to the dealer and ask what the issue is. That is much easier than checking to see if has be replaced.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”