"Ringing" Engine Noise Anyone?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
ARK07
Car: 08-EX-35 AWD

Thanks, for the update Steve!! So we have to bring in all of our keys?? Do we get a new car?? Or just something in that RF circuit??

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

ARK07 wrote:Do we get a new car
:rotflmao

You might get a loaner car.

I guess in some way you'll get a new car. How about an EX that doesn't make that annoying noise.... ;)

The part number is for a countermeasure engine control computer. I say bring the keys just in case. Instead of potentially having to make a special trip (if the programming is lost). There is about half a dozen specific things that need to be set to properly "tune" the computer to the car. Everything from the VIN number to the base throttle position, all the base parameters must be reset too. I can tell you from experience that sometimes the key memory is lost and if all the keys happen to be there it makes turnaround significantly faster.

When you speak with the service people have some patience please. Many dealer have a central call center and the people making your appointment have never opened the hood on their cars. They will not know anything. You may actually have a bit of a challenge ahead of you finding someone who has seen this before and knows that there is an active countermeasure part that is no longer on unit restriction.

If you have an open CA file it might be time to check into it.

I would not be surprised if there is a tsb soon, but there might not be. In the real world it only effects a small segment of Gs and EXs and an even smaller segment of the owners can hear it.

lemba

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update! I was thinking this is a dead end situation. I'm glad that Infiniti came up with a fix. However, issue must be duplicated by the dealer before they start doing any repair. That's the main problem. They taking a car, then after few hours they call you back saying "sorry". Is there any other possibility to duplicate it beside simple drive test?

Mugen Power

SteveTheTech wrote:
RollerEx35 wrote:Stevethetech - i am having the same issue as you are describing but i just wanna make sure the noise you are talking about...is it coming from the center console near the nav screen?? or is this different?
The heater core noise is indeed coming from the center console area, the high frequency noise I mentioned to SG77 seems to be coming over the drivers ear, upon further inspection it's coming from the back seat. The heater core noise sounds like a lower pitched buzzing noise from the dash.
SteveTheTech:

What sound does the noisy fuel pump make?

We have a sound coming from our '10 EX AWD Journey that you can hear the loudest from the back seat, driver's side. It's not as high pitched as the sound files someone linked to (the mosquito and 15 kHz ones). If anything, it sounds more like the beginning of the feedback sound you hear when someone sticks a mic in front of a speaker, although not nearly as loud. And it's a constant pitch, too.

I primarily hear the sound when accelerating in the 62-65 MPH range (it's pretty repeatable) and it pops up from time to time at lower speeds, although I haven't taken note of the actual speed. It's not nearly as noticeable up front as it is in the rear seat area.

Could this be the fuel pump sound you're referring to?

ArkansasCyndi
Car: 2010 EX35

Wish I had read this BEFORE I bought my 2010 EX35. LOVE my car but took it to the dealership TODAY with this problem Took FOREVER for the tech to hear the noise. He'd never heard it before. Service Tech called me back to tell me that the other EX35's on the lot do the same thing and that it's in the design of the car.

My technician called it a reverberation noise, but he didn't have a clue how to fix this. I am quite discourage after reading all this. Given the dates on these messages, I am assuming no cause and cure have been found. Correct?

ArkansasCyndi

I have just read through all this. Am calling my dealership tomorrow about this.

Thanks everyone. I thought I was nuts! Glad to know it's just that I have sensitive hearing and that this ringing/whine really exists. Am really sad that I bought this car now. I do love driving it but that noise will drive me batty. I hope (fingers crossed) that I can get something done about it. Appreciate all the information

ArkansasCyndi

My dealership got a new ECM for my 2010 EX35, but ringing continues.

Any other suggestions to fix thie ringing. It is driving me nuts.

If I want to contact my regional technical advisor, how would I find out who this is and how to contact this person. I'd like to continue up the Infiniti chain of command with my complaints.

My dealership has been awesome but have been unable to find a solution.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Hi Cyndi,

Welcome to the forum sorry for the delay, this place is a ghost town during this time of year.

Sounds like you have a head scratcher.

http://www.infinitiusa.com/iapps/contactus/
You will probably have to call Consumer Affairs to start a file on this complaint. If you have had great (but unsuccessful) attempts made to fix this they would be the next step.

I would really like to help you but what you have may be a one off issue and the internet might not really be able to help pinpoint the source. The best advice I can offer you is to make detailed notes of exactly when the noise happens, if anything changes the frequency or pitch make a note.

Good Luck, I hope you find a resolution soon.

WinterSkibum
Car: EX35 2008
Leather Premium

Hey... new to the forum... hello all !

I just purchased a 2008 EX35 with 29KM on it... and guess what... on my way back home from the dealership, I kept hearing a VERY annoying high pitch noise that came from the central console as soon as I depressed the gas pedal. I said to myself... I must be tired and it has nothing to do with the car. But then... it kept doing it and it's driving me insane. Other than that... the car is great... but you know...

So... I goggled "ex35 high pitch noise" and I found this forum, more precisely... this thread... Glad to see I'm not the only one noticing this problem.

I will check with my dealer in Montreal to see if they heard of that problem... let's hope they will agree to change the ECM and that the result will be positive.

Anybody else had their ECM changed ?

giguy
Car: 2011 EX35

I need to revive this old posting. Just bought a 2011 EX35 AWD loaded NEW and it has this sound. Initially noted over 60mph on driving back from the dealership 4 days ago and now even at low speeds usually in the low 1500-2500 rpm range when hitting the accelerator. Very annoying high pitch whistling/buzzing sound can be heard over the radio. Anyone experiencing this on 2011s? Going to take in to the dealer next week and tell them about this ECM issue based on this posting. I haven't seen a posting on this thread for one year so it makes me think that this may have been resolved for 2011 and my issue may be different. I don't notice the sound on idle or startup and I believe the fuel pump issues were with 2008s.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks

ArkansasCyndi

I've been driving my 2010 since May 2010. I have the ECM changed. I still have the noise. As far as I know, this continues to be a problem

giguy

Just got the car back from the dealer service who did acknowledge the noise existed on their test drive. They said it was due to the design of the exhaust on the EX35 and this is a "known" issue and have been waiting to hear back from Infiniti on further recommendations. They adjusted the exhaust hangers and realigned the flanges and it initially was a little better but gradually worsened on my drive home. I wonder if this offers any new insight to this problem. I further noticed that the noise peaks at 2100 rpm at 70mph and if I put the car in cruise control at that exact speed the sound is constant and unbearable.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

knocking on wood with one hand and typing with the other... I have never heard this noise and I hear all the little noises that others don't hear !

nexien
Car: infinity fx 35

as i was accelerating say about 60 and and up like push on the gas pedal hard
i heard this sound like a mosquitos like that like a winding noise
hmmmm... wat to do wat to do
damn if i knew the ex was like this i should have kept my Fx better.
gesshhhhhh

Mugen Power

giguy wrote:Just got the car back from the dealer service who did acknowledge the noise existed on their test drive. They said it was due to the design of the exhaust on the EX35 and this is a "known" issue and have been waiting to hear back from Infiniti on further recommendations. They adjusted the exhaust hangers and realigned the flanges and it initially was a little better but gradually worsened on my drive home. I wonder if this offers any new insight to this problem. I further noticed that the noise peaks at 2100 rpm at 70mph and if I put the car in cruise control at that exact speed the sound is constant and unbearable.
I'm not sure if the sound you're hearing is the same sound I'm hearing but I posted a few posts above yours last year and the sound I hear also happens around the 65-70 mph range. I'm interested to know if your dealer will hear back from Infiniti on this matter. The dealer I took it to didn't hear the sound but it's most noticeable in the rear seat and he might not have had someone else riding with him. Otherwise, he might not have taken it up to speed as the road the dealership is on doesn't have a high speed limit.

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

I think some of you lately are reporting something else.

I have a 2008 AWD, and I have the same thing. I'm so glad I saw this thread so I know that others have it too!

It's a very high pitched clear tone. It sounds very electric. It obviously has something to do with an electrical signal whenever the gas pedal is pressed. You can touch it very slightly and it turns on. You can even tap out a rhythm with the tone on the gas pedal: tap tap tapppppp = "eee" "eee" "eeeeeeeeeeeee". I also get this when using cruise control. You can tell when the car is applying gas.

The strange thing is that I don't always have this. It actually comes and goes. Sometimes it's in the morning starting up driving to work, sometimes it starts during a long road trip. I just got my car over 50k and I think I'm hearing it less and less. I am able to ignore it most of the time, but it's noticeable. High pitched noises normally irritate me, which is why I've wondered what this is for so long.

It definitely has nothing to do with the stereo system in the car. It does sound like it might be coming from the right passenger kick plate where the ECM is. So did anyone really get it fixed?

giguy

The dealership was able to find the problem and resolve the issue. Apparently the vibration/humming noise I was hearing at 2100 and 3100 rpms was being caused by a harmonic/vibration being created at the mentioned rpms with the dual exhaust. They tightened and realigned the exhaust hangers and placed counterweights on the exhaust to prevent vibration which resolved the problem. Keep in mind this was on a brand new 2011 ex35. Hope this helps.

wby8317839
Car: FX 50 12

Ok Guys same exact problem... Did anyone every find fix for this? Mine make the same sound at 2000 rpm.

There has to be a cause...

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

Have you taken it to the dealer yet? Maybe print out this thread to point them in the right direction and let them know you are not alone...

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”