Rick Perry Exposed.

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

IMHO, the President's religion is simply not of value, in any way whatsoever, to determine whether he or she will do a good job.

Z

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

Come on, Jews!

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Encryptshun wrote:
Cold_Zero wrote: Please note, I am not saying that politics should be devoid of any religion. Nor am I saying that politicians should be without religion either.
I have given up hope of an atheist president in my lifetime. :frown:

But, within the next 75 years maybe it'll happen.
Hope so!
szh wrote:IMHO, the President's religion is simply not of value, in any way whatsoever, to determine whether he or she will do a good job.

Z
I Agree :yesnod

Religion has no place in politics

If religion is important to an individual they should not be in politics to represent me

Telcoman

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

I totally disagree with your last comment.

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

szh wrote:IMHO, the President's religion is simply not of value, in any way whatsoever, to determine whether he or she will do a good job.

Z
Can you elaborate on that a bit for me, Z?

I keep wanting to read that as "IMHO, the president's religion has no bearing on how good a job he/she does as president".

Is that what you are saying?

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

IBCoupe wrote:He's too eager to mix religion into his politics, for my tastes.
Too much religion could possibly lead to blindness

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... ted-345678

Telcoman

szh

Encryptshun wrote:

Z
I keep wanting to read that as "IMHO, the president's religion has no bearing on how good a job he/she does as president".

Is that what you are saying?
Yes! :yesnod

At least, that is how I interpret what you are asking.

My bottom line: I don't plan to ask about which religion a candidate "is" or "belongs to", or how religious he/she is, before I vote for him/her or not.

But, I do want to make sure that the strength of their religious belief does not make them be partial ... or anti other religions ... or anti people who belong to other religions.

This is confusing and it is late at night, so I am not sure I am being clear.

Z

szh

telcoman wrote:

Z
I Agree :yesnod

Religion has no place in politics

If religion is important to an individual they should not be in politics to represent me
I do not agree with the last comment - that is not what I meant anyway.

If a President is religious and this is important to that individual, that does not bother me, as long as he/she is impartial about people in other religions in general, and does not judge others because of their religion.

Sure sounds weird as I say it, but I think/hope you get what I mean this time.

Z

szh

IBCoupe wrote:Come on, Jews!
If he or she is qualified for the job, sure! :yesnod

Z

Encryptshun

I do not think it's possible for someone with true religious convictions to be impartial when the issue at hand crosses a matter of faith for that person.

It's religion which denotes virtually all hot-topic conservative social values (stance on gay rights, abortion, sex education, abstinence, creation/evolution, etc) which is how Republican candidates are selected by their party. Therefore, if we elect a President based on his or her social values we are electing someone who, by virtue of the campaign, is VOWING to legislate morality based on religious conviction.

Ultimately, that's the specific trope which brought me back to the liberal side from being a pretty hard-core conservative prior to the 2008 election.

telcoman

Encryptshun wrote:Ultimately, that's the specific trope which brought me back to the liberal side from being a pretty hard-core conservative prior to the 2008 election.
Welcome

Encryptshun

telco, just because we both consider ourselves liberals, that doesn't mean I respect your methods. Frankly I think you work against achieving the sort of middle harmony that we should be striving for.

So please, believe what you believe. Just don't act like you're the welcome-wagon for my political views. 'Cause brother, you ain't. :)

szh

Encryptshun wrote:I do not think it's possible for someone with true religious convictions to be impartial when the issue at hand crosses a matter of faith for that person.
I think we are mostly in general agreement, it is why I used the "as long as" phrase. May be tough to meet that standard perhaps.

Regardless, the specific religion of the President ... i.e., whether our President is a Christian, a Jew, a Muslim (horrors! :gapteeth:) or an atheist does not bother me.
Encryptshun wrote:It's religion which denotes virtually all hot-topic conservative social values (stance on gay rights, abortion, sex education, abstinence, creation/evolution, etc) which is how Republican candidates are selected by their party. Therefore, if we elect a President based on his or her social values we are electing someone who, by virtue of the campaign, is VOWING to legislate morality based on religious conviction.
Perhaps ... and, yes, I am far more middle-of-the road on many of those issues too. My conservatism has to do with financial issues ("cut spending rationally", "raise taxes rationally", and "let the market decide", etc.).

But, and here is the important point, if the majority of the country does indeed vote such a person (as you postulate) into high office, then we have little choice but to find the ways to temper those changes as best as we can. Because, the "majority" wanted it that way and democracy is what it is.
Encryptshun wrote:Ultimately, that's the specific trope which brought me back to the liberal side from being a pretty hard-core conservative prior to the 2008 election.
Speaking for me, I think it puts me in the middle of the road camp instead - with lots of support for items on both sides (including some strongly one-sided positions). There are too many issues on both the liberal and conservative sides that I also object to.

Z

telcoman

stebo0728 wrote:Haven't really decided on Perry yet, dont know much about him, but R/T coming out against him is probably a WIN :poke:

Now if Telco would just post something that might seal the deal :whistle: :whistle:

Here you go

http://www.politifact.com/texas/stateme ... teach-evo/

Telcoman

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Obama scares me less than Perry.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

themadscientist wrote:Obama scares me less than Perry.
And he's banking on voters like you. ;)

bigbadberry3

telcoman wrote: Here you go

http://www.politifact.com/texas/stateme ... teach-evo/

Telcoman
I always find it interesting that when this debate opens up in public schools, other creationists views aren't open for discussion.

themadscientist

IBCoupe wrote:
themadscientist wrote:Obama scares me less than Perry.
And he's banking on voters like you. ;)

I'll vote third party first. Obama has demonstrated he doesn't understand monetary policy so he banked wrong. ;)

Perry is the sort of right-wing extremist ideologue that I have been worried about popping up and taking advantage of the ire against Obama. Mad's not playing the game. If the GOP want my vote they will have to do much much better than Perry. :slap:

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Hey, I'm sure he'd prefer you vote for third party instead of Perry.

I'm still hoping for a fight between Obama and Romney. Romney's gone a bit over to the derp side recently, and I like the measured tone that Huntsman has (that Romney used to have), but I don't think I'll ever see Huntsman get the Republican nomination for anything any time soon. I like to think that I'd actually have to think about who I'd vote for in a Romney/Obama fight.

themadscientist

Romney can't take no for an answer. How many times does he have to lose?

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

He was the front-runner until Perry got in, and his numbers are improving. My biggest problem with Perry is that he appears to be a poll-chaser. When he gives his responses, he starts, then waits for the audience to tell him how he should continue speaking. "Wha- ponzi scheme? Y'all liked that? Alright! Ponzi scheme!"

Poll. Not pole. Forget the rumors you've heard. ;)

themadscientist

Most of them are, so is Obama. Bush seemed to lead, but unfortunately his confidence in his own vision was misplaced. It's good to be self-confident, but nor should you ignore the voice of the people. Ron Paul and John Huntsman are the only people at the moment that don't immediately bring bile to the back of my throat. Perry and Bachman are the nightmare I have been having more and more where people vote for "not Obama" much like they voted for "not Bush" last cycle. A hard right swerve is not the answer to a hard left one. That just causes more traction loss and our government starts to look like an out of control drifter.

We need a president who has balls, figuratively, not necessarily literally, and doesn't care who he pisses off as long as he is working on solutions. Congress is like a kindergarten out of control and the executive branch has lost a lot of influence under Obama. I think they had a bit too much under Bush.

America is f*** up and we need a calm, but resolute person who puts our country before their respective party and can extend a hand to the opposition if warranted or ball it into a fist if need be. And I don't mean people in the other party when I say "opposition." I mean anyone, regardless of party, who is not working for our prosperity, but rather taking care of themselves and their special interest PAC funders.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

I still don't think President Obama was a "hard left swerve." I know the left has been disappointed that he hasn't lived up to their expectations, but from paying attention to him in the campaign, I thought he'd be more Clintonesque than Rooseveltian.

And I think he has been. And a calm, resolute person who sets aside party is what President Obama has been, really. He's taking it on the chin from liberals for refusing to "grow some balls" and stand up to the Republicans in the House. He's getting a lot of policy accomplished, but none of it is policy that, in any other age, would be seen as remarkably leftist. As far as I can tell, President Obama is giving us the policy that he and John Boehner would have hammered out anyways, if Boehner's hands hadn't been bound by the whackjob fringe that has moved itself to center stage. I'll miss them both in 2013.

themadscientist

He campaigned on a herd left swerve, but giving credit where it is due I think he has moved towards the center. He is still far to the left of center, but his is definitely to the right of where he started. I do think he has made genuine effort to work with the Republicans, but they just keep throwing it back in his face. All this has gotten him is very little cooperation from the hard right factions steering the GOP and a complete dissociation from him by the hard left wing of the Democrat party.

Meanwhile, the more centrist Republicans and Democrats continue to remain silent and toe their respective party lines; for shame. Obama is the loneliest man in Washington and while I'm not fond of him or his policies I can certainly appreciate his situation. If the Democrats want to win they should find some honorable reason for Obama not to seek a second term so Clinton, the one without the penchant for Hooters both burger and sweater met, to reluctantly run. The only job I can think he could accept that wouldn't look like a demotion, at least in his eyes and the eyes of some of his supporters, would be UN General Secretary.

He can f*** up the UN all day. I honestly can't see how it could get any worse than it is. He has squandered that euphoria that vaulted him to a Nobel Peace prize when he hadn't done a damned thing, though. They don't like him any more than congress. For a guy who was used to being popular this all must be very disheartening.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

I didn't get that impression from following his campaign. Watching his speeches and listening to his responses at the debate always left me with the impression that he was center-left. He made some promises which, at the time, could have been perceived as leftist, I think are much better viewed as "anti-Bush." The promise to close Guantanamo Bay? Regardless of how it actually panned out for him, that wasn't really a substantive, liberal/conservative thing so much as it was going after the policy of the preceding President.

I mean, we can go though Politifact's promise database, but I really think there aren't as many lefty positions that came out of the campaign as Republicans like to pretend there are.

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Here's a decent article documenting much of what was made of President Obama. I was well aware of it, but it seems like many either weren't or quickly forgot. http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Columns/2 ... -Love.aspx
The Fiscal Times wrote:On June 25, 2008, Sen. Russ Feingold criticized him for supporting legislation giving telephone companies immunity for permitting government surveillance in national security cases, as well as for opting out of federal campaign funds, thereby undermining liberal support for campaign finance reform.

On June 30, 2008, Arianna Huffington assailed Obama for abandoning his base, saying it was politically counterproductive. “When Obama kneecaps his own rhetoric and dilutes his positioning as a different kind of politician, he is also giving his opponents a huge opening to reassert the McCain as Maverick brand,” she complained.

The next day, Markos Moulitsas, founder of the widely-read Daily Kos web site, penned a bitter attack on Obama for betraying liberals, taking swipes at left-wing groups and other offenses. “There is a line between ‘moving to the center’ and stabbing your allies in the back out of fear of being criticized,” Moulitsas said. “And, of late, he’s been doing a lot of unnecessary stabbing, betraying his claims of being a new kind of politician.”

On July 13, 2008, the New York Times published an article quoting a number of liberal activists who were deeply disappointed that Obama was giving short shrift to their issues. The article was entitled, “Obama Supporters on the Far Left Cry Foul.”

Simultaneously, some conservatives began warming to Obama. In a July 15, 2008, column, James Taranto of the Wall Street Journal editorial page praised his moderate views on race, calling Obama the Mikhail Gorbachev of the civil rights movement.

Fareed Zakaria, in a July 18, 2008, column for Newsweek, praised Obama for his foreign policy realism. “What emerges is a world view that is far from that of a typical liberal, much closer to that of a traditional realist,” he wrote. “It is interesting to note that, at least in terms of the historical schools of foreign policy, Obama seems to be the cool conservative and McCain the exuberant idealist.”
Even arch supply-sider Larry Kudlow professed admiration for Obama’s pragmatism when he wrote, “Lo and behold, Team Obama is moving toward the supply-side and pivoting toward the political center on key aspects of its tax policy.” He was impressed that Obama had promised not to raise the tax rate on capital gains any higher than 20 percent, a promise he has kept.

Soon, a large number of prominent Republicans and conservative intellectuals were publicly endorsing Obama. Following is a short list:

Ken Duberstein, Ronald Reagan’s White House chief of staff;

Charles Fried, Reagan’s Solicitor General;

Ken Adelman, director of the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency for Reagan;

Colin Powell, Secretary of State under George W. Bush;

Scott McClellan, Bush’s press secretary;

And Jeffrey Hart, former senior editor at National Review magazine and speechwriter for Reagan and Richard Nixon;

Radio talker Rush Limbaugh was so alarmed by conservative defections to Obama that he read the riot act to his “ditto heads.” He said it was “maddening” that Obama “is moving right” and sounding as conservative on many things as McCain. To counter these inroads among conservatives, Limbaugh handed down his marching orders: “We have to portray this guy as inexperienced, far leftist, despite what he’s saying about moving to the center.”

After the election, many conservatives who thought that Obama’s centrism was a campaign ploy were shocked when he followed through with appointees that could – and often did – hold positions in Republican administrations. Looking at Obama’s national security team, foreign policy hawk Max Boot professed himself “gobsmacked.” Most of them, he admitted, “could just as easily have come from a President McCain.” On economic policy, many conservatives expressed comfort with Obama advisers Paul Volcker, Larry Summers, Austan Goolsbee, and Jason Furman.

Fred Barnes of the right-wing Weekly Standard spoke for many conservatives when on December 8, 2008, he said: “It’s not that Obama, despite his unswervingly liberal record in the Senate, turns out to be a pragmatist. The point is he’s pragmatic (so far) in one direction – rightward. Who knew?”
Even his biggest and most enraging policies were repeats from conservatives. The healthcare reform act was lifted from Republican efforts to provide an alternative to "Hillarycare" and looks very much like the most conservative health care reform law that Mitt Romney could get through Massachusetts legislators. In tackling the national debt, he signed on with the Simpson-Bowles plan.

I've said all along that President Obama has consistently pushed for the laws we would get anyways if the Republicans in the legislature had any interest in constructive, effective legislating. He could go hard left and simply bank on his blue support, but he showed throughout his campaign and throughout his Presidency now that it's just not how he wants to govern.

I swear to God: President Obama has been a moderate since we first met him. If folks had really been paying attention, this would have been obvious. It's why I liked him in the first place.

carloslebaron
Car: 95 Nissan pickup XE

Cold_Zero wrote:
carloslebaron wrote:A true religious dude in the US presidency will be a real change in politics.
Why did you not include all of the other candidates into this comment? Why is Gov. Perry the only ‘true religious dude?’
I would also ask of the last 6 presidents we have had here in the United States, which one in your opinion was 'a true religious dude.'? The reason why I ask is because if you believe the paradigm of the religious right that the President must be evangelical (using the political term not ecclesiastical term) then your answer has to be the Democrats Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter because they were Baptist. The rest of the Republican Presidents did not fit into this group as they ALL were members of Mainline Liberal Protestant churches (Ford and G HW Bush were Episcopal, Nixon was Quaker, Reagan Presbyterian and GW Bush Methodist).
I would also point out that President Obama, who I senses you are hinting in your comments as not being a ‘true religious dude’ would fall very much into the religious category of the Republican Presidents. Yet it is the Republican Presidents who the Religious Right (unrightfully so) hold up as being a quasi ‘defender of the faith’ for our country. Personally, I think we need to migrate off these ideas in American politics and not confuse politics with religion (or vice versa.)

Please note, I am not saying that politics should be devoid of any religion. Nor am I saying that politicians should be without religion either.
That is a good question, but it is a difference between the "religious preference" of a person with being a religious person. While a preference in religion means that this person selected a certain religion to visit, share, understand, etc the spiritual doctrines, a religious person "lives" according to such doctrines.

In this case, Perry is not afraid to mention God as "his" guide, while the others might mention God as a guide only, not "the" guide but solely as a guidance.

Perry's choice to do so is smart, because regardless of what the new society is coming to be, the majority of people in US believe in God. Perry -regardless of his religious denomination- might make attractive his candidature for the rest of churches.

I guess that the Republicans still looking for the right candidate to overcome Obama, so far, from my point of view, this candidate must be a new face, not a traditional Republican who has tried it in former elections. Right now there is a new candidate, Christie, a fat dude who appears to be very smart, something needed for the country, but by results pulled from experience, people in US have the tendency to vote for the stupid one... :chuckle:

Cheers

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

Here's a nifty graphic:

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

IBCoupe wrote:Here's a nifty graphic:

LOLWUT? Why are the people positionally opposite their stance? Thats crazy? Oh wait cause if it was the other way then Obama leaning a little more toward the right wouldnt make sense.

:poke:

IBCoupe
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD

I can't tell if you're being crazy, Stebo, joking around, or if you're still in a semi-sleep state and I shouldn't wake you for fear of long-term psychological harm.

Return to “Politics Etc.”