Rick Perry Exposed.

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
R/T Hemi
Car: 2010 Challenger R/T
2012 TSX

I'm watching the Rep's try to field a 2012 team and Rick Perry deserved a look. Last night he stepped all over his proverbial D!(# with his theory of government. It wouldn't have been bad if the moron had a clue. He totally doesn't. He's a Trickle Down economist who thinks the government is too involved and that involvement is the source of all our problems. Total failure.

The Washington Post summed it up.

Rick Perry must have spent at least a little time formulating what will be one of the defining quotes of his campaign, that he will make the federal government “as inconsequential in your lives as I can.” Okay, well that is clear enough now. He is running as the candidate for those with no memory. He should do well.

Just a refresher though, spoilsport that I am. Shockingly filthy, poisonous, dying rivers and lakes. Brown, poisonous air. Contaminated food. Legally mandated segregation. A nation uninformed about cigarettes and you know, cancer. Mad, runaway irresponsibility in financial markets and their follow-on re/depressions. Destitute elderly. A climate on its way to permanent ruin. Okay, we have that already.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/tom ... _blog.html

Shall we write this moron off for 2012 yet?

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

He's too eager to mix religion into his politics, for my tastes.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

R/T Hemi wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/tom ... _blog.html

Shall we write this moron off for 2012 yet?
FWIW, I don't like him either, but what you quoted is just an opinion blog from another individual - a "political cartoonist" according to his byline - not any factual information to back up the harsh words he used.

Z

R/T Hemi
2012 TSX

In vino veritas

I watched part of his speech. The blog is spot in.

szh

Since the blog is short, I figure putting the entire words here will allow people to decide for themselves whethe the extreme extrapolations that Tom Toles makes are realistic or made up to score his own personal points:
Rick Perry must have spent at least a little time formulating what will be one of the defining quotes of his campaign, that he will make the federal government “as inconsequential in your lives as I can.” Okay, well that is clear enough now. He is running as the candidate for those with no memory. He should do well.

Just a refresher though, spoilsport that I am. Shockingly filthy, poisonous, dying rivers and lakes. Brown, poisonous air. Contaminated food. Legally mandated segregation. A nation uninformed about cigarettes and you know, cancer. Mad, runaway irresponsibility in financial markets and their follow-on re/depressions. Destitute elderly. A climate on its way to permanent ruin. Okay, we have that already.

This is not a governing philosophy. It is a religious belief system. It is a belief, evidence-based or not, that praying to the heavens and/or to the markets, will represent your interests. If you believe that, then I guess Perry is your man, and we can in fact repeal the 20th Century. Inconsequential is not without consequences.
Yes, I don't like Rick Perry either, but let's be realistic - this is not factual reporting above in a newspaper, it is an extreme, somewhat satirical, characterization by a political cartoonist.

Z

R/T Hemi
2012 TSX

Z, political cartoons point to the obvious in a way that allows us all to laugh at the subject. As such, it must contain a factual basis.
The WP blog was, and I'm being redundant here, spot on. It points and laughs at his folly. Typically, the more a person is informed, the funnier the cartoon. If you'd like I'd post Perry's resume, but I'm pretty sure someone would come along and challenge that as self-serving.

Anyway, I do get it (that it's a blog).

stebo0728
Car: 1993 300ZX, White, T-Top

Haven't really decided on Perry yet, dont know much about him, but R/T coming out against him is probably a WIN :poke:

Now if Telco would just post something that might seal the deal :whistle: :whistle:

szh

R/T Hemi wrote:Z, political cartoons point to the obvious in a way that allows us all to laugh at the subject. As such, it must contain a factual basis.
The WP blog was, and I'm being redundant here, spot on. It points and laughs at his folly. Typically, the more a person is informed, the funnier the cartoon. If you'd like I'd post Perry's resume, but I'm pretty sure someone would come along and challenge that as self-serving.

Anyway, I do get it (that it's a blog).
Good! We are on the same page then. :yesnod :mike

And, sure, there are elements of truth in things that satiricists and cartoonists use in their work. But, they also like to stretch the facts - usually a lot - to make their point. Your original post made it look more than that - that a newspaper was reporting on hard facts.

Anyway, 'nuff said from me. I still don't like Rick Perry, from what limited amount I have read of him so far, and I doubt he will be a serious or real candidate in 2012. My opinion only, of course.

Z

R/T Hemi
2012 TSX

@ Stebo...
I think you should stick with the Bachmann/Palin ticket. :yesnod

IBCoupe
Car: '08 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5SE
'19 Infiniti QX50 FWD
'17 BMW 330e iPerformance

stebo0728 wrote:Haven't really decided on Perry yet, dont know much about him, but R/T coming out against him is probably a WIN :poke:

Now if Telco would just post something that might seal the deal :whistle: :whistle:
If you want a louder George W. Bush, he's your man.

szh

R/T Hemi wrote:I think you should stick with the Bachmann/Palin ticket. :yesnod
Are they getting together on a ticket like that? :ohno:

Z

mattblancarte
Car: 2005 BMW M3 Comp. Coupe

IBCoupe wrote:He's too eager to mix religion into his politics, for my tastes.
Ugh... This is how I feel about every single candidate on the right.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

stebo0728 wrote:Haven't really decided on Perry yet, dont know much about him, but R/T coming out against him is probably a WIN :poke:

Stebo
Your wish just came true :chuckle:

RT forgot to mention Perry's claim about the job increase in Texas.
They are all low wage non union jobs.
Texas is a polluted state and a has poor education and health care system. No zoning either/
Spent two weeks there on vacation 30 years ago and traveled around the state.
Never going back!

I love New Jersey :yesnod
Even if our governor sucks
He'll be gone soon with the rest of the right wingnuts

Telcoman

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

telcoman wrote:Texas is a polluted state and a has poor education and health care system. No zoning either/
First hit on google:
Education rankings by state

Feel free to argue the accuracy (Texas above NJ!!!), but given this next comment, I'll be hard pressed to find value in your argument.
telcoman wrote:Spent two weeks there on vacation 30 years ago and traveled around the state.
And I'm certain nothing has changed in 30 years...

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

From a strictly economic standpoint, I find Perry to be a hypocrite. He touts the growth and job creation in Texas since 2000, but of the 28% increase in jobs, 19% have been in the public sector versus 9% in the private sector. Texas ranks with Mississippi as the state with th highest number of people employed in minimum wage jobs, and Texas closed a $15 billion budget shortfal by taking $17 billion in stimulus money. Then Perry turned around and criticized the Obama administration for "worthless stimulus". The next year, he had nothing to cover another $15 billion budget shortfall, so he closed it with spending cuts ($4 billion of which came from education), eliminating many of those public sector jobs in the process. So next year he'll either have to hire all those people back or he'll face being unable to provide services he built to support all the private sector companies he wooed to Texas.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

AppleBonker wrote:
telcoman wrote:Texas is a polluted state and a has poor education and health care system. No zoning either/
First hit on google:
Education rankings by state

Feel free to argue the accuracy (Texas above NJ!!!), but given this next comment, I'll be hard pressed to find value in your argument.
telcoman wrote:Spent two weeks there on vacation 30 years ago and traveled around the state.
And I'm certain nothing has changed in 30 years...
Not the hit on google that I got

College graduation rates by state

Texas not doing so good.

It is even below Mississippi

http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/?l ... measure=27

Dead last is Alaska

No wonder Palin has never made any of the Sunday morning talk shows and went to so many schools

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I've spent plenty of time in south Jersey. Hated it.

Anyway, this is the kind of BS that passes for "journalism"? http://www.politico.com/blogs/onmedia/0 ... ml?showall#

Race-baiters should be waterboarded.

R/T Hemi
2012 TSX

What's your point with that cite? It fairly shows both sides of the story and allows the reader to draw whatever conclusion he chooses. Pretty good journalism if you ask me. But then, it's not up to Rush or Bill's standards so I see how you could find fault with it.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Not sure who you mean by Rush and Bill (remember, I don't watch TV). My point was, it was pretty damn tacky to strategically edit the comments and then presume for the viewers that Perry meant anything remotely racist.

I'm beginning to hate the Thought Police and the race-baiters (and people trying to find racism at every turn) more than I hate people who dislike people who are different from themselves.

At least one group is honest.

szh

Rick Perry must be starting to do okay in the polls or something? :confused:

The negative articles are starting to appear already: http://swampland.time.com/2011/08/17/ri ... tter-daily

Interesting how quickly they jump on this bashing wagon! :)

Z

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Maybe you and I have a different definition of "bashing". For me, bashing is blowing something trivial out of proportion for purely personal or partisan ends, including rhetoric that is deliberately designed to mislead and exploit.

I have heard this story from other, more credible, news sources as well (I reference the facts in my post above). I don't call it bashing so much as pointing out hypocricy and dissecting the BS.

Bottom line is that Perry's spin backfired and now he's getting called to task on it. That's what the media is supposed to do (when it's not busy tapping phones, telling lies, misrepresenting facts, blatantly pushing a particular partisan agenda or pandering to advertisers, that is). :)

R/T Hemi
2012 TSX

szh wrote:Rick Perry must be starting to do okay in the polls or something? :confused:

The negative articles are starting to appear already. . .
Z
Jeez....I wonder why?

R/T Hemi
2012 TSX

telcoman wrote:. . .
RT forgot to mention Perry's claim about the job increase in Texas.

Telcoman
While state and local governments nationwide have eliminated over 400,000 jobs in the past year, government employment in Texas actually grew. There are now 1.66 million state and local government employees in Texas, an increase of 66,000 in the past two-and-a-half years...
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... aspx#page1

It appears that Texas does have some jobs, however, this sort of slaps the face of his "make government smaller" (by hiring more people?) platform.

szh

Encryptshun wrote:Maybe you and I have a different definition of "bashing". For me, bashing is blowing something trivial out of proportion for purely personal or partisan ends, including rhetoric that is deliberately designed to mislead and exploit.
Well ... I will not argue definitions of words - you got what I meant, I think. :)

FWIW, I am not arguing the merits or demerits of the write-up ... at least, it purports to be factual reporting, rather than the original post blog link. The (slightly) snarky language in this one was the reason for my post here.
Encryptshun wrote:Bottom line is that Perry's spin backfired and now he's getting called to task on it.
My point was that Time.com has had plenty of time (pun intended) to have brought this to light before if this reporter was so concerned about this issue - but he didn't until Rick Perry started his run. :yesnod

Then, it became a Big Deal, I suppose! :rolleyes:
Encryptshun wrote:That's what the media is supposed to do (when it's not busy tapping phones, telling lies, misrepresenting facts, blatantly pushing a particular partisan agenda or pandering to advertisers, that is). :)
Yup. Exactly the issue I have with most (not all) media. Opportunism and shrillness rules the day ... :rolleyes:

Z

szh

R/T Hemi wrote:
szh wrote:Rick Perry must be starting to do okay in the polls or something? :confused:

The negative articles are starting to appear already. . .
Z
Jeez....I wonder why?
I dunno ... what do you think? :chuckle:

Z

stebo0728

Thanks Telco....now if Herman doesn't make it, I have a good fall back candidate :D

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2024 Honda HR-V
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

telcoman wrote: I love New Jersey :yesnod
Even if our governor sucks
He'll be gone soon with the rest of the right wingnuts

Telcoman
He might be gone from NJ, but I still think Christie will be on the Republican Presidential ticket. He's been manuevering himself toward it like he does to a free all-you-can-eat buffet. Compared to Perry, Bachmann or Palin, he appears almost normal with less personal baggage to try to deflect.
AZhitman wrote:I've spent plenty of time in south Jersey. Hated it.
Most feel that way about South Jersey (excluding the shore & the racetrack in Millville), which is a shame because the northern and western parts of NJ are better.

stebo0728

Bubba1 wrote:he appears almost normal with less personal baggage to try to deflect.
Well, he does have a large amount of ummmm "personal baggage" that he carries at all times. LOL but srsly the folks making a big deal about his weight? So the frick what!

AZhitman
Administrator

..coincidentally, they're the same people who scream "racism" when one criticizes BHO.

It's ok to dis fat people, but Black folks are off-limits. :)

AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Fat is more of a choice than race is? I know a lot of fat people who became skinny (and plenty that went the other way). MJ is about the only black dude I know of going white. But he had a plethora of other problems.

Also, this post is in jest. I mock everyone equally!

Return to “Politics Etc.”