Retain OEM Backup Camera Surround View on Aftermarket Radio

The web's first forum dedicated to the Nissan Juke and the Nissan Qazana.
Pem3108

Hey Guys,

I know there are a lot of posts regarding aftermarket radios and backup cameras, but none of them really answer my question and I was hoping someone may have done this and can help.

I have a 2016 Juke Nismo that comes with the navigation and the around view camera system. I have replaced the head unit with a Kenwood aftermarket and everything is working fine besides the backup camera. I am trying to retain as much as factory as possible and I would like to use the factory reverse camera rather than installing a second camera back there. I am aware that I will not be able to keep the surround view camera system, but I would at least like have the backup camera working. And it is working somewhat, but it's not working as intended yet.

Here is what I have done so far. I first tried to grab the video signal directly from the wires that were plugged into the factory radio. I used a 12v to 6v converter and I got a picture but it would turn off after a few seconds (I had 2 shops try to do the camera with the exact same results). I was simply unable to maintain a stable picture. What I did now was I went behind the glove box and grabbed the backup camera signal before it goes into the camera controller (the one that converts all the signals coming in for the surround view system, etc) and feed the signal straight into the radio. This works, but as you can see the picture is like an ultra wide picture (I am assuming it's the signal it uses to create the birds eye view), and the cars chasse is covering up like 2/3 of the picture. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong, or another way to get the back camera working from the 4 camera surround view system?

https://imgur.com/a/bmRT5ql

Magius
Car: Nissan Juke

Pem, I have been tracking exactly the same thing. Just registered to share the best lead I've found so far:
aftermarket-stereo-w-surround-view-t570 ... l#p6482783

We have no choice but to grab the signal after the AVM processor but the trick is feeding it the signal it expects from the CAN Bus.
I'm crossing my fingers that the systems are similar enough. Honestly I don't expect much difference but I have yet to review the 2016 Juke diagrams.

Cygnus_X_1
Car: xxx

I just ended up going with a digital line out converter, keeping my stock HU and running a 4 channel with upgraded infinities in the cabin, and monoblock for a 12 inch sub. Sounds great, and camera works. But to keep this research going forward, according to the EFF(F) ESS(S) EMM(M), we have been successful in 3 out of the four diagnostics to generate the surround view image.

CAMERA IMAGE SIGNAL CIRCUIT
• The audio unit supplies power to the rear view camera when receiving a reverse signal.
• The rear view camera transmits camera images to the audio unit when power is supplied from the audio unit.
Diagnosis Procedure
1.CHECK CONTINUITY CAMERA POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT
1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Disconnect audio unit connector and rear view camera connector.
3. Check continuity between audio unit harness connector and rear view camera harness connector.
4. Check continuity between audio unit harness connector and ground.
Is inspection result normal?
YES >> GO TO 2.
NO >> Repair harness or connector.

2.CHECK VOLTAGE CAMERA POWER SUPPLY
1. Connect audio unit connector and rear view camera connector.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Shift the selector lever to “R” position.
4. Check voltage between audio unit harness connector and ground.
YES >> GO TO 3.
NO >> Replace audio unit. Refer to AV-49, "Removal and Installation".

3.CHECK CONTINUITY CAMERA IMAGE SIGNAL CIRCUIT
1. Turn ignition switch OFF.
2. Disconnect audio unit connector and rear view camera connector.
3. Check continuity between audio unit harness connector and rear view camera harness connector.
4. Check continuity between audio unit harness connector and ground.
YES >> GO TO 4.
NO >> Repair harness or connector.

4.CHECK CAMERA IMAGE SIGNAL
1. Connect audio unit connector and rear view camera connector.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Shift the selector lever to “R” position.
4. Check signal between audio unit harness connector and ground.
YES >> Replace audio unit. Refer to AV-49, "Removal and Installation".
NO >> Replace rear view camera. Refer to AV-55, "Removal and Installation".

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2YJnzHn9oca3Dmhk6

At this point, the CANBUS is looking for a Waveform signal that fluctuates between +0.4 and -0.4V every 40us (microseconds)

If we can generate that signal, we can keep the image displayed from the AVM and retain the 360 Surroundview on aftermarket radios.

Return to “Juke Forum | Qazana Forum”