Rear Defogger and A/C switch

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
winwin008
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

I have a 2007 Versa has a little over $50k miles. My rear defogger does not work has not worked in a few months. When you push the button to turn it on the light does not go on and it does not work. Just recently the A/C wont shut off when I put on the heat. I read that it is normal to have the A/C running with the heat, but when I press the A/c button to turn it off it wont turn off as the light stays on. Has anyone had this problem? I took the car to Nissan and they dont know would need to take it apart and run diagnostic tests. Is this a big job?Thanks

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

At first and second read, I am thinking both are electrically related. Have you checked the fuses under the dash or under the hood? It may be something easy on the wallet and simple to find. What have you tried so far?

Have you added anything to the car in your 50,000 miles of ownership?

Sorry to hear about not having a rear defroster just when it's getting uber cold.

winwin008

I have not done anything yet. I took it to Nissan and they told me they need to run a diagnostic which would cost $100.00

Promise Land
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

OK, let me look through my diagrams to see if I can come up with something before you go back and pay $100.

You might also try the online service manuals and see what it says about the defroster. I haven't read it yet. Try the red flashing search button at the top of the screen.

winwin008

Thanks for your help.

Promise Land
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

Check fuse positions 20, 21, and 22 (A/C control and blower controls) in your fuse block. If none of those are blown, I'm going to say it is internal to your A/C Control unit. You can replace it or the dealer can do it. Not sure of the costs, but your local dealer can probably help you with that replacement info.

vikkybear
Car: Nissan Versa

Ever resolve this issue? I also have no rear defrost right now and couldn''t find a fuse that was blown as the cause...

raiders4403
Car: 2007 VERSA S

vikkybear wrote:Ever resolve this issue? I also have no rear defrost right now and couldn''t find a fuse that was blown as the cause...
had same problem with the defroster.....it was the a/c unit head. there was a short in the wiring so dealer replaced it, was under warranty too hope it helps you guys.

Ferrofab
Car: 2008 Versa

We are experiencing the same proble with our 2008 SL model. One week out of warranty. If you push real hard, and wiggle it sideways, you can sometimes get it to activate. Sure seems like a defective switch to me.

Looking for an online parts manual and pricing for this switch.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

one week out they might make allownaces -- complain loud.

Ferrofab

Here's what I did:
i-think-i-rear-window-defoster-is-broken-t475207.html

You do have to change the entire controller assembly. There was the original part # and a replacement part #. I can only hope the replacement # has a better switch than the original. I am beginning to think that the Versa has the same electrical vendors that VW uses (look at the electrical reputation for the New Beetle). If they do, then our cars will continue to have electrical problems, especially as they age.

Here's a picture of the actual switch, after I removed the electrical panel from the controller (I broke 5 plastic retaining tabs doing it, see -I told you that you can't fix just the switch):

Since this controller was basically junk, I didn't care when I took it apart.

Silver Eagle
Car: Nissan TIIDA 1.6 SVE Auto 2009

As previously mentioned Renault and Nissan joined forces in 1999/2000, what you will find is that the car has French electrics french "base Unit" with a Nissan body structure. To keep prices down every car on the market has its components sourced from around the world and many are common accross a wide range of cars. Although the components are common the problem often lies in how they are used, the quality of the design and how well they are assembled. As to whether Nissan use the same vendors as VW, BMW, Merc. they all have common suppliers.
I also read that $100 being charged for a diagnostic, you can buy an OBD II fault reader (16 pin) for $50 and everybody who is mechanically minded will find it a great tool for the tool box.

Ferrofab

I took a closer look at the failed unit today. It appears to be made by "Valeo" and says "Made In Malaysia" on it. There is a bar code with the numbers 502703-1991 printed on it. I read somewhere that you can tell the country of origin by the first 3 numbers of these bar codes (possibly urban legend). I disassembled the failed push button switch, and discovered that it is exactly like a TV remote control: there is a rubber dome that has a non metallic button that is coated with a conductive surface. This rubber dome collapses against 2 metal contacts that are soldered to the imbedded circuit board.

My wife primarily drives this car to work, and I would guess that this button was actuated less than 200 times before failing. BTW, this button doesn't really "turn anything on", rather it sends a signal to some type of "body control computer" that indicated your desire to have the rear window defroster activated. If the computer accepts your request, and all the stars are aligned, you will get about 15 minutes of current sent to the rear defroster/defogger. This is why the first thing the service department will want to do is perform the diagnostic. Then they can tell you about the price of the controller and the labor to change it out.

varadin
Car: Versa 2008

I had the same Issue here is my solution

I just remplace the NO contact on the board by new one buyed at my local eletronic shop for 1 $

first of all you don't need to dismantel the whole white plastic stuff, just unsnap gently the circuit board ( you gonna save a bunch of time in reassembling when you have the circuit in hand, just unweld or reroute the contat by a simple NEW NO Switch bouton Ask your local eletronic store they have a plenty of it after just reweld or ask someont else to do it for you IT works perfectly for me and it cost me 2h of labor (including shopping for the part) one NO contact at 1$ and some unwelding copper belt ( less thed 3$ if you don't have it) and a verry small amount of lead welding wireImage

jdcnosse
Car: 2007 Versa S Sedan

Quick question...does the rear defogger/defroster come on automagically (like does it have a sensor in it to know when to turn on) or not? I've tried turning mine own occasionally since I got it a month ago but the light never comes on. It's not a big deal as I live in southern Arizona so it doesn't get too cold but I'd like to know if it works or not

Promise Land
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

The rear isn't automatic.

jdcnosse
Car: 2007 Versa S Sedan

Promise Land wrote:The rear isn't automatic.
Sounds like mine isn't working then...

ruthlessluder

In case anyone needs a solution to this problem, I have made a video on how to fix it for less than $10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tw8dOsIHrY

Return to “Versa General Chat”