i think i rear window defoster is broken!

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
raiders4403
Car: 2007 VERSA S

it doesnt turn on anymore! at first one push would turn it on/off, then later i had to push and hold the button for it to turn on, but now nothing! it doesnt turn on anyomre! what the frag !! car has 38k miles so warranty is no more, so if i take it in ill get charged an arm and a leg just to check it! does anyone has any insight on the issue. is this a program like the auto windows? thanks ppl

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

Haven't heard of this issue before. You are barely over your warranty. I'd call the dealer anyway and see if they know anything. That's still free.

xtwoonamatchx
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

I'm actually having the same exact problem with mine (2007 S hatchback). I installed a Headunit, but that was about two years ago. This problem just started happening around Decemeber 1. I took the entire middle dash apart, and the unit itself. I didnt completely disassemble the unit, but the entire face of the defrost unit. I couldnt see anything from there. With mine, if I push in, then move the button around it will eventually come on. I just havent had time to go to the dealer, I have 32,000 miles, so I better go soon =p

Not to thread jack but has anyone heard of the rear washer fluid not working? Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car back in July 2007.

</threadjack>

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

Someone else on here had his hoses not connected to the washer pump when he picked it up. Maybe yours is the same case? The washer hose will run on the top of the headliner on the left side.

raiders4403

xtwoonamatchx wrote:I'm actually having the same exact problem with mine (2007 S hatchback). I installed a Headunit, but that was about two years ago. This problem just started happening around Decemeber 1. I took the entire middle dash apart, and the unit itself. I didnt completely disassemble the unit, but the entire face of the defrost unit. I couldnt see anything from there. With mine, if I push in, then move the button around it will eventually come on. I just havent had time to go to the dealer, I have 32,000 miles, so I better go soon =p

Not to thread jack but has anyone heard of the rear washer fluid not working? Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car back in July 2007.

</threadjack>
hey if you do goto the dealership for the defrost problem would you let me know what they find? it would be a great help. thanks

xtwoonamatchx
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

Promise Land wrote:Someone else on here had his hoses not connected to the washer pump when he picked it up. Maybe yours is the same case? The washer hose will run on the top of the headliner on the left side.
Well when I was putting in my Sub/Amp, I noticed a hose running along the bottom passenger side panels. It looked empty though... Where should I check for the connection?

And raiders, I definately will... I'm going on wednesday hopefully so I will be in touch!... gotta love last minute warranty work =p

raiders4403

xtwoonamatchx wrote:
Well when I was putting in my Sub/Amp, I noticed a hose running along the bottom passenger side panels. It looked empty though... Where should I check for the connection?

And raiders, I definately will... I'm going on wednesday hopefully so I will be in touch!... gotta love last minute warranty work =p
figures that i purchased the exxtended warranty and didnt remember! hahaha but i got it fixed, it was the A/C head unit, thats the part where you control the temp and flow of the a/c. the defroster button had a short in the wiring that made it stop working. they replaced that and now alll is well. turned out good for me this time.

Ferrofab
Car: 2008 Versa

We are having the same problem with our 2008 SL model. We are about 1 week past the warranty. Anyone know where to see an online parts list and pricing for this switch?

Ferrofab
Car: 2008 Versa

I just finished this repair today. First, the problem is a switch that is soldered into a circuit board on the back of the A/C Controller Assembly. There is no practical way to repair this switch nor swap out any sub-assembly. The entire controller (which consists of the 3 rotary knobs and the 2 push-button switches) must be replaced. The switch fails in the same way a single button will quit working on a TV remote control. I purchased a used controller from a junkyard. The online parts manual shows that the original controller has been superseded by a new part number. I also noticed that my old one did not have any orange illustrations on the mode selector, but the newer one I purchased has matching orange illustrations for the fresh air knob and the defrost settings.

To swap out the controller involves taking off the top "Instrument Finisher E", the "Cluster Lid C", the "Audio Unit", the "Instrument Finisher D", then remove the "Intake Door Knob", followed by the "Controller Finisher", and finally the "Controller".

The hardest thing to figure out is the 3 control cables, and how to release them. Each cable housing goes into a "socket affair" that has 2 plastic spring-loaded "grippers". These have to be spread apart to allow the cable housings to be extracted. I had success using 2 different types of snap-ring pliers. They both expand a snap-ring when the grips are squeezed, and I needed both straight and right-angle pliers. The cable housings must be inserted completely on re-assembly, or the grippers will not do their job and the cable housing will slide back and forth. It may not be abundantly clear, but the ends of the plastic cable housings are "molded" and will only properly seat if the housings are rotated to 1 of 2 positions (there are flats on 2 sides that forms a bump that is gripped).

The other thing that gave me trouble was the big black electrical connector on the controller. The tab that must be pushed in to release the connector is on top, and almost impossible to depress with fat, stubby fingers. Persistence will get you through.

2 final thoughts: make sure you disconnect the battery cables (negative first please) or you will have an airbag error code when you are done (you have to disconnect the airbag warning light harness). Clearing this code is a PITA and involves considerable research to find the procedure. The second thought is, this procedure should not be performed around children, mothers, wives, and especially "church friends". Failure to heed this warning could result in the diminished perception of your character.

Image Image Image

ruthlessluder

A can of electrical contact cleaner and removing a few trims will fix the issue. I made a video on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tw8dOsIHrY

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If the button is the silicone type contact then there is a very thin layer of carbon impregnated silicone on the contact side of the button. If it has worn off to pure silicone underneath then nothing will bring that back. I've fixed them for a while by gluing a small piece of aluminum foil to the button with 3M weatherstrip adhesive, then the button will work until the covering tears up which may take a while.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”