R35 GT-R Engine!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Hey guys! Guess what. It seems that it is now official that the R35 GT-R will be receiving the VQ35DETT as it's motor. So now it's not a mystery anymore.

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

:( skylines always meant an R series engine.... maybe its just a letter, but i would have liked to see it stay that way

Daunttless

I know, its not a GT-R anymore in my eyes.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

ninjak84 wrote::( skylines always meant an R series engine.... maybe its just a letter, but i would have liked to see it stay that way

Not true, Skylines have had G blocks, L blocks, S blocks, Z blocks, FJ blocks, and CA blocks. They all came before the RB block.

Why can't they introduce a VQ block to the line? The VQ block is NOT weak or anything. I actually don't see any negative things about using the VQ. Sure, the RB is nearly indestructable, but how do u know the VQ isn't? I personally have never heard of anybody blowing up a VQ motor.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

As I currently drive a VQ block, I'm looking forward to the VQTT. This engine has unlimited possiblities. I'll take any Skyline I can get.

Stoneage_Turbo
Car: just about anything

supposedly the block cant take boost like a rb series or a sr20 series , its more like the honda blocks , they really dont like big boost , something to do with how the cyanders are seperated more from the block by large water jackets or something , Q45 tech posted about it awhile back

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Stoneage_Turbo wrote:supposedly the block cant take boost like a rb series or a sr20 series , its more like the honda blocks , they really dont like big boost , something to do with how the cyanders are seperated more from the block by large water jackets or something , Q45 tech posted about it awhile back

Yeah, the VQ is an open deck block, where as the RB and SR are closed deck blocks. So stock vs. stock, the RB will handle more boost. However, if you add a blockgaurd, you can fix that problem. And who knows, maybe the VQ35DETT will have a block guard from the factory?!!

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

TT eh? Hmmm..that goes against all previous rumors of the SC. I'm glad to see them boosting the VQ, that just means it can be done to the rest.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Mayhem_J30 wrote:TT eh? Hmmm..that goes against all previous rumors of the SC. I'm glad to see them boosting the VQ, that just means it can be done to the rest.

Yep, I need a Pathfinder TT now. :eek:

blink0r
Car: Turbo(s), making fun of Daunttless, naked girls, and guitar.

I agree with some of the others.... it's not a skyline in my opinion unless it has the RB block. The VQ may be great, but it'll never be another skyline ;)

AkaiRPS13
Car: Kyoumi wa kuruma ya bujitsu ya nihongo desu.

its not about the R its about the V and not the code V the configuration. skylines are meant to have inlines. i dont consider Z31 and Z32s real Zs either. Sporty imports arent supposed to be uncouth, hard idleing V engines. they should be smooth and refined and technologically advanced. stupid french dude killed the silvia and now the skyline too. at least in my mind. and the Zs been dead for a while, Nissan is going downhill. oh well beter start collecting the good ones. first to find a good condition S30 Z + then import a r34 Skyline + keep my s13 = got the best of em all.

jemil118
Car: cars,cars,cars

ummm... last time I checked the Z31 was an inline six....and I know my z32 has never been "rough idling" As for the stupid, ignorant comment about the Z being "dead" c'mon man the Z32 is one of the most sought after of the Z cars... sure they're a little expensive, but that just holds to the fact of the value and the rarity of the car... Have you ever driven a Z32? Probably not...I think it's awesome that they twin turbo charged the skyline...that just sets up a 40% increase in horseppower for the new Z!! And I think that nissan isn't going "downhill" They're about to enter their finest hour with the new Z being premiered and the Skyline being brought over to the states(whether it'll be sold as a Nissan or an Infiniti is still being debated) And how can 287 hp out of a 6 cylinder be considered technoloically unadvanced? Mustang and Camaro's weren't produced with that much horsepower recently(LT1 and the 94-98 4.6l) THAT's technologically unadvanced.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

jemil118 wrote:ummm... last time I checked the Z31 was an inline six....and I know my z32 has never been "rough idling" As for the stupid, ignorant comment about the Z being "dead" c'mon man the Z32 is one of the most sought after of the Z cars... sure they're a little expensive, but that just holds to the fact of the value and the rarity of the car... Have you ever driven a Z32? Probably not...I think it's awesome that they twin turbo charged the skyline...that just sets up a 40% increase in horseppower for the new Z!! And I think that nissan isn't going "downhill" They're about to enter their finest hour with the new Z being premiered and the Skyline being brought over to the states(whether it'll be sold as a Nissan or an Infiniti is still being debated) And how can 287 hp out of a 6 cylinder be considered technoloically unadvanced? Mustang and Camaro's weren't produced with that much horsepower recently(LT1 and the 94-98 4.6l) THAT's technologically unadvanced.

I agree with everything you said, except the Z31 is a V6 ;)

It's the same VG block that is in the Z32.

b18c5todaracin

I wanna buy a skyline but not through motorex..they rip people off..but it might have to come down to buying from there

SR20det for sale 2200 papers legit JDM motors...dropshipment only

Slash88-300zxt

they did put the RB20DET in the Z31 in japan it was an inline 6

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Slash88-300zxt wrote:they did put the RB20DET in the Z31 in japan it was an inline 6

True, but I was assuming we were referring to USDM Z31's. Also, even in Japan, not all Z31's were I-6's, most were still V-6's.

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

Maybe they thought 3.5 liter would be too big inline? But at least they're turbo. That's probably why they don't offer a TT Z33. But I hoped they'd do something different with the engine to make it stand out from current USDM. Like maybe finally bringing their NEO VVL system to the US and show honda what variable valve lifting really means. I won't settle for just VTC :) They could even keep their new trend of putting Q in the engines (VG30DE => VQ30DE, GA16DE => QG18, SR20DE => QR20DE)... well how about RQ35VETT... if you know about nissan engine naming schemes then this should excite you. Why don't they make an engine like this?

BTW someone said earlier that the VG30E and VG30DE blocks were the same. Not exactly but their from the same family and very similar (both V6).

And whoever said that V-engines are rougher than inline: they generally are, but I remember reading a lot of reviews when the Maxima changed from VG->VQ in 95 and then again when they had the VQ30DEK in 2000(?) stating that Nissan's VQ series is smoother than expected from any V6.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Well I already miss the RB but I'm sure when the RB came out crys of "don't drop the FJ" went up, likewise for every new model engine. As for V versus inline as a some sign of refinement it doesn't wash. The VQ isn't a 305 with a two barrel. I am not happy about the open decks but the only boosted VQ I have seen thus far was in the Cima and it did fine. The first RB20s had their problems but evolved into the RB26 so I am willing to bet that if the VQ is the motor of the future Nissan will evolve it as needed, if that means closing up the decks it will happen.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

themadscientist wrote:Well I already miss the RB but I'm sure when the RB came out crys of "don't drop the FJ" went up, likewise for every new model engine. As for V versus inline as a some sign of refinement it doesn't wash. The VQ isn't a 305 with a two barrel. I am not happy about the open decks but the only boosted VQ I have seen thus far was in the Cima and it did fine. The first RB20s had their problems but evolved into the RB26 so I am willing to bet that if the VQ is the motor of the future Nissan will evolve it as needed, if that means closing up the decks it will happen.

I agree with you here. I also don't understand what the huge deal is about nissan using open deck blocks now. Look at Honda, there are boosted Honda's all over the place, and they are all open deck. Honda has proven that open deck blocks can be reliable under boost and high HP.

Also, if you are building the crap out of it, you can always add a blockgaurd. It's almost as good as having the benefits of both open and closed deck blocks.

chin suru

he;s right. Golden Eagle makes sleeves for Honda blocks that are tested up to 60psi. No decking, just o-rings and ductile iron sleeves. You don't always need to deck the block.

fleabass12

Hey everyone, the Skyline is in America except it is not the Nissan V35 Skyline, it is just the Infiniti G35 with the VQ35DE in i.Unfortunely no GT-R model..................yet, in a couple of years the plan to come out with a Twin-Turbocharged V-6 with a 6-speed manual, the power output is estimated between 350-400hp (GT-R model) and torque trailing close behind, I'm not sure though if it will be called the GT-R though so we will just have to wait. They are nice cars but NOWHERE near as aggressive as all the past Skyline models it's lines are more flowing and more like a Lexus but still a nice looking car the NA version is already out it will just be a couple of years till the GT-R model though.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

fleabass12 wrote:Hey everyone, the Skyline is in America except it is not the Nissan V35 Skyline, it is just the Infiniti G35 with the VQ35DE in i.Unfortunely no GT-R model..................yet, in a couple of years the plan to come out with a Twin-Turbocharged V-6 with a 6-speed manual, the power output is estimated between 350-400hp (GT-R model) and torque trailing close behind, I'm not sure though if it will be called the GT-R though so we will just have to wait. They are nice cars but NOWHERE near as aggressive as all the past Skyline models it's lines are more flowing and more like a Lexus but still a nice looking car the NA version is already out it will just be a couple of years till the GT-R model though.

Yeah, what you said is right except that the Infiniti G35 *IS* the same as the V35 Skyline. Now, what it isn't the same as is the R35 Skyline (which is the GT-R).

fleabass12

Ahem EZcheese15, I meant in American version it is not NAMED the Nissan V35 Skyline it is named the Infiniti G35, I did not mean that they are two totally different cars, I knew they were the same car just named different. crystal? ok.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

A peice of crap by any other name...Well the car itself is not bad but it should be the Maxima not a Skyline. This G-whatever does not embody what a Skyline should be and neither will the R35 GT-R. The frogs are messing up my car and I want them dragged out into the street and covered in fireants, go screw up a Honda!

BB Turbo
Car: 2007 Nissan Titan KC, 1992 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Is it going to be sold under Nissan or Infiniti, or is it even going to be in the U.S?

BB Turbo

NM, i just scrolled up, i thought for a min that you were talking about the new model skyline, you know the really radical looking one, i hope it makes it to our shores

BB Turbo

jeez im slow, i scrolled up even more to find that answer, oh well

fleabass12

heh:bonghit

LarryStooge

themadscientist wrote:A peice of crap by any other name...Well the car itself is not bad but it should be the Maxima not a Skyline. This G-whatever does not embody what a Skyline should be and neither will the R35 GT-R. The frogs are messing up my car and I want them dragged out into the street and covered in fireants, go screw up a Honda!

how are they screwing it up? Have you driven a skyline? I doubt it. Have you driven the new concept? I doubt it. The skyline has always been a normal car with a ****load of gadgets added on from the factory, with some crazy stock ground effects and flares on the fenders. It's always been a standard heavy *** car with the purpose of being a daily driver, but on crack. Nissan stated this themselves. The skyline gtr is dead, it's not coming back, they already stated that. The new car isn't a skyline, they stated it's a GTR, just because it holds the GTR emblem doesn't make it a skyline gtr. The car is purpose built from the ground up to be an even better car than the last one. The whole reason they dropped the skyline name is because they want the car to be known as the GTR, not a skyline, a skyline is a regular car, a skyline gtr is a regular car on crack. They want to cut out the regular car and leave the crack in the picture. If you can't understand that, then don't buy one when it comes out. Nissan is extremely smart by what theyre doing, theyre giving everyone what made the previous GTRs so great, the technology, but theyre sticking it on a better platform. They're doing what they're doing to appeal to a wider range of people. The reason theyre using a V style is because the V style block is shorter than the old inline they used, and it balances perfectly by tucking the engine behind the front wheels as much as possible. Using the one equipped in the new Z and the new infiniti, will allow them to drop the price by mass producing, which will allow more people the privilege to own the car. You don't own a skyline, you probably won't ever own one, so why would they build the car to please you? They're building it to please the general market that will actually be purchasing the car. Just like the 350z, which you may not like, but according to Nissan, is selling quite well. When they bring the car over, it will lose one its largest selling points, the fact that you cant have it. Everyone wants what they cant have, when we can finally have the GTR name in our hands in the form of a set of keys, it wont be desired as much, it's a fact of life regarding just about anything. That's why people get bored in relationships all the time. Once anyone with 40-50k can have the car, who will want it, just because it has some technology? You can get the new NSX coming out for barely anymore, which has tons of technology, that's supposed to start at 60k, and it's a 100% purpose built car. The new car has to appeal to the people with the 40-50k to spend on a car, not the people reading magazine articles that just wish they could have one, because they wont meet sales quotas dreaming all day. Nissan is built up by professionals that know what they're doing and have been doing it for a long time, I'd stick with what they decide is best before I go by what a group of looky los thinks.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

:Werd

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”