R35 GT-R Engine!

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

surferbrat72 wrote:i understand that the engine is pretty good but it just flat out isnt a GTR any more it is more like a GTV which is just messed up if you ask me because the skylines always get a R-series engine

I hate this view on the GTR....

The skyline does not ALWAYS get an R series engine. First of all, the series is RB. Second of all, it's only the R31's and newer that have gotten the RB engine. I'm sure when the RB block came out, people were like "I can't believe their ruining the skyline with a block other than the FJ, what the hell."

It's nothing but the fact times are changing, the RB block is getting out of date, and they need something new. That doesn't mean the RB is a bad block, it means it's not up to the current emissions requirements for new cars. And emissions doesn't mean slower. It means new technology. They are switching to the VQ block, so quit whining. It's not like the VQ block is weak. It's already been proven too.

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

agreed totally

rco8786

EZcheese15 wrote:I agree with everything you said, except the Z31 is a V6 ;)

It's the same VG block that is in the Z32.
No it's not..it's an older VG block. Inline six.

Porschephile
Car: '98 Maxima

NO, the z31 has the Vg30e 3.0l sohc 12v V6! ;) I know because I own one. You are probably thinking of the older Datsun Z's or 280zx that have the "L" series i6's.

nlzmo400r

yes, the older datsun 28oZ had the L28 motor, the Z31 did have the vg3oe (or maybe de, not to sure), also welcome both of you to NICO, i hope you find everyone here very helpful and informative, and also Porschephile, what kind of porsche do u own, or are u just an admirerr

Porschephile

nlzmo400r wrote:yes, the older datsun 28oZ had the L28 motor, the Z31 did have the vg3oe (or maybe de, not to sure), also welcome both of you to NICO, i hope you find everyone here very helpful and informative, and also Porschephile, what kind of porsche do u own, or are u just an admirerr

The Vg30e is in the Z31 and the Vg30de is in the Z32.

Thanks for the greetings. I'm a member of other Nissan forums and have browsed here for awhile but finally decided to register.

Well, I did own a Porsche 914. It's mid-engine, rwd, 5spd. Though, I just sold it. My next Porsche will probably be a 944 Turbo or '70-73 911 depending on what I find. I'm just a die-hard Porsche and Nissan/Datsun fanatic. My current project is a '73 Datsun 240z 5spd (grey market euro 240z 5spd; not a zx 5spd). I also have a '91 Maxima gxe (converted to 5spd), so I have experience with the Vg's. If you ever have Porsche-related questions, don't hesitate to email me. Nismo Freak can confirm it, I'm a walking Porsche Encyclopedia. :cool:

nlzmo400r

im a huge fan of porsche's as well, if i could have one car , itd be a gt2, those are absolutely to die for, but i do have questions about your maxima 5spd swap, there another member on here who's looking into doing it, but doesnt know if its worth the money, his name is JDMFREAKo3, so if u see him around, mention it please, im sure he'd appreciate any info you could give him, also, awesome project with the 24oZ, those are sweet, and also, what do u think of the 'new' 35oZ ,i see a LOT of porshce inspiration in those

Porschephile

Tell JDMFREAKo3 to email me and I can answer any questions. In short, it's not worth it if you can find a 5spd SE for relatively cheap. If not or if you just happen to love your particular Maxima (my case) then it's worth it. It's also worth it if your auto tranny dies since it can be done for 1/2 the price of rebuilding the auto. Overall, converting to 5spd is a HUGE performance improvement! It's like a night and day difference.

Well, the 350z is alright IMO. I don't really like/dislike it. Though, it looks a little too much like an Audi TT. What I don't like is that they try to say the 350z is so much like the original Datsun Z. There are a few small similarities but, its quite a bit different. With the Z31, Nissan started to move away from the design of the original Z (v6 instead of i6, a LOT heavier, etc). I just hate that round, bulbous look that it has. It should have been more streamlined and less bulky. Either way, the 350z still is a good car but, I wish they would have used a different, more unique engine. This 3.5l v6 is so played out from using it in every other Nissan.

IMO, Renault has completely destroyed what Nissan used to be. For example, the new Skyline isn't even a Skyline IMO. It will be using the same basic 3.5l v6 that almost every Nissan is using now. On top of that it has the same "round", ugly design that new Nissan's and new cars in general are starting to use. On top of that, the Skyline has always been an i6 ever since the first Datsun Skyline 2000 GTR (the Skyline is older than that but those are the 1st real Skylines IMO). Nissan/Datsun already made so many awesome cars in it's past that I'll stick with those and overlook the current offering. Renault SUCKS IMO! ;)

nlzmo400r

you have a lot of 'IMO's' in there, and i too dont like the weight of the 35oZ and such, if they brought her down to about 31oo lbs, thatd be much more what i was hoping for, and as far as teh round look, i love the 35oZ, however i also loved the datsun 28oZ as well, and i too dont like the fact that so many nissans have hte VQ35de (altima, maxima, 35oZ, G35 coupe/sedan, I35, Murano, FX35) i mean, i know platform sharing saves money, but damn, thtas gettin a lil out of hand, however its such a good engine, how could nissan resist

jdmfreak

I personaly like the Z. What I dont like is the the new roadster. I just looks odd. IMO the Z/G35 should be turboed from the factory. Hopefully this will come soon. Im quite sure Nissan could come up with some new engines to put in their cars. I do agree with what nlzmo said about the VQ35de engine being great, but Nissan could do better than that. If it is only one new engine, it would be better. I dont care what car(s) get the new engine(s). At least there will be alittle variety thrown in the mix.

K1LLA916K
Car: 2003 nissan sentra gxe

hmm well skylines are sweet looking cars and so are nissan silvias but in my personal opinion, nissan screwed up. they are making all their cars look exactly the same which i can understand but seriously they could use a couple of different ideas even though they share the same platform for their cars. second of all i dont get this whole deal with the g35 being a skyline being a 350z. in my personal opinion they made all 3 cars the same and screwed it up. also if there is a gtr, then i doubt it will do much sales in the US considering the fact that it will have similar characteristics to the subaru sti and mitsubishi evo but will be priced for about 20Gs more. in my personal opinion i think nissan has killed the gtr and the silvia but you never know what they might think up next. i would like to see a new gtr but from nissans point of view it wont do much considering that the new gtr would be stuck between a sti/evo and a 350z. ad if there is a gtr, from all the talk going on it will just be a 350z with a twin turbo setup and fancy awd for 20Gs extra. i say buy a 350z, turbo it, and screw the awd cuz you will have a sub 10 second car for the same price.

nlzmo400r

i doubt the GT-R will be competition for the STi and EVo8 whenever and IF it does come out. I'm assuming it will have a VQ35DETT, and in which case, itll be EASILY putting out about 35ohp, which would obviously put it ahead of hte 35oZ, and evo and STi, and the AWD will also up the price, i'd say expect its main competitors to be zo6/m3/911carrera

jdmfreak

:Werd

llamabeta

I will miss the inline-6. As simple as that. That's what it made it unique at one point. Last one to use the inline-6. There something unique about it. It's a shame that BMW is going to be dropping the inline motor for the M3 to switch to a V8. Of course thats the way it went when they went from the E30 M3 to the E36. The sound the inline-6 has and the balance will be missed. V6 just makes to plain-jane. Can't wait to see what the AWD system and suspension will have though.

nlzmo400r

i didnt know the m3 was losing its i6 as well, im a huge fan of i6s, and will be sad to see it go, but its the new way, i think the only reason bmw is doing this is to stay with audi's, which the new s4 has a v8 as well, instead of the TT 6 it used to have, hopefully the skyline wont follow suite ,i have heard rumors of the new gt-t getting the vh45de motor, which is a great motor, but not for the gt-r, that motor weighs a ton, i think it will throw off hte balance terribly, not to mention the car is heavy as hell already

drifter_for_life06
Car: Daily: '16 WRX
Toys: '92 RPS13 400whp
Exocet

Persoanlly i HATE the idea. Its a hybrid which im not fond of. Just my opinion.

nlzmo400r

assuming you're talking about the GTR, which btw is now confirmed to have a vq35dett, how is that a hybrid?, i can't wait for it, hopefully ill get to drive one somehow ;)

dutch boy
Car: anything with cars/techno music/cruising

Hey guys,I did see some pics earlier this year of vq30dett being dropped in the latest versions of the R34 by nismo in japan?????

BTW i found some gtr's for sale (even some LHD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)Look on http://www.mobile.de and search under nissan skyline.

Greetings and keep those impellers turning!!!

drifter_for_life06
Exocet

That might have been true, jsut to see how the engine would fir int he current chassis, but i doubt it was for a production look or anything.

nlzmo400r

im positive they wouldnt use an older engine to replace the rb26, doesnt really make sense ya kno

drifter_for_life06
Exocet

yea, newer ones would be more powerful, and not ahve as much wear one m, and the entire "concept" would be better

nlzmo400r

not only that, but it would also be better for emissions and such, and more effecient

dutch boy
Car: anything with cars/techno music/cruising

I'm still trying to find were i found the info .How can i attach a picture of the VQ-GTR engine to this post?

drifter_for_life06
Exocet

Yea, emmisions is the biggest issue, at least in my eyes, god damn power loss and restrictions suck

nlzmo400r

dutch boy wrote:I'm still trying to find were i found the info .How can i attach a picture of the VQ-GTR engine to this post?
try searching this site, there have been a few threads about this

drifter_for_life06
Exocet

Yea, that is a GREAT place to start use the "search" key up top

nlzmo400r

well the only reason i was saying to search is because i dont know how to do it :rolleyes

drifter_for_life06
Exocet

Are you serious? Just click it and type int eh topic you want and hit Search.

nlzmo400r

no, i know how to search, i dont knowhow to post pics

jdmfreak

I think you have to go to new reply then click browse. Find the pic then click open. Next click Submit New Reply.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”