Q45 Subwoofers

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
revil86
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45

i have a 93 Q45 and i have 2 10" subs in my trunk. when im inside my car i cant hear the subs too much. when i open the trunk its pounding. can someone gimme some suggestions what to do so i can hear the subs better? i already removed the rear box between the rear speakers.

one ton garage

Can't really give you too definitive an answer w/o knowing exactly what your current sub setup is, but if the subs are in a sealed box, and you removed the rear shelf box to allow passage between the sealed trunk and the passenger compartment, you've sort of ended up with a bandpass box that, depending on what your subs are in, might be the root of your problem. I've been slowly working on my system also and last time I had the subs hooked up they weren't too bad... I'm running two 10s in a sealed fiberglass box made to go in the spare tire well, and it seemed to work well before... will see if a bit more tuning can make it a bit more efficient

driftinthe45
Car: 1994 Q45a

Which way is your box facing? some times when you turn it around you get more bass, due to change in frequency(lots of details and specifics), so try to turn it around. i have friends that have had this same problem, but they are running ported boxes so who knows. wont hurt to give it a shot.

Rex
Car: None

revil86 wrote:i have a 93 Q45 and i have 2 10" subs in my trunk. when im inside my car i cant hear the subs too much. when i open the trunk its pounding. can someone gimme some suggestions what to do so i can hear the subs better? i already removed the rear box between the rear speakers.
The Q was originally built/designed to keep as much sound out of the cabin, so this will make it "challenging". Start with one_ton_garage's suggestion of removing the parcel shelf storage bin. You have to remove the back seat take off the upper shelf cover, then you can take the lower section of the parcel bin out. I know in other cars people will perforate the cover/door for the bin after removing the bottom. I don't recommend you do this to a Q45 one, but I'm partial . This can be done by removing the door and carefully drilling from the back side without penetrating the cloth/material on the top, but alot of people just recover it.

All in all, with the gas tank between the trunk and cabin and it generally being full of "fluid" it deadens so much of the sound, the Q doesn't make a good "system" car. You could also try to get creative with a 6th or 8th order enclosure, with the port(s) routed to the rear shelf or remove the 6x9's and vent into the cabin there.

Good luck.

5seryan
Car: 1995 Q45t R.I.P.

Also you could look in to pioneer premier series subwoofers. they have new subwoofer technology that allows the woofer to be only about 4 inches deep.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.....html

this gives you many more options as they are much smaller... that is if you are willing to part with your current woofers. i have found them as low as $90. just a thought.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

back when I had the sub in my Q (single 10 with 200 watt kenwood, ported box, rex can tell you what I had) it was louder in the cabin than in the trunk...

I had tbe port facing directly on the body (wedged in the side).. I had it like this

http://q45.spilky.com/wes/102-0299_IMG.JPG

and also where the top pointy part was going in where the jack was...

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

geez my system hits so hard i barely turn it up past volume 10! wanna hear a system in a q id sggest some nice 12's and a nice ported box. heres a pic of mine

also make sure your crossover Hz are set correctly for the speaker your running. 160-180hz speakers work well in this car. Also dont cheap out on audio equipment if you want it sound good, spend good:)

Death by Mullet
Car: 94 Q45

wow! That box looks nice. beafy though, not much room for the clubs.

Mullet

CrimsonQ

yeah i dont ever put anything in my trunk anyway

zinkie13
Car: 1992 Lexus SC300 Single Turbo

My system at the moment is unbelievably retarded loud. I have the base turned all the way down on the head unit and it still is almost too much. I have two 12 inch adiobahn alum12Q's with a jbl 1200.1 running at 1.5 ohm with a 5 farad cap. I'd imagine it maxes out at just over 4000 watts

revil86

as of right now i have:2 10" MTX RT-10 4 ohm single voice coil substhey are in a bandpass box with the ports facing up towards the read windshield/rear speakersan MTX 2-channel mxa-4002 400w rms ampand an old *** american legacy 400w 4-channel ampthe MTX amp is powering one sub (bridged)and the american legacy amp is powering two front speakers and the other sub (bridged)i think ima take rex's suggestions and remove the 6x9 pioneer speakers i put in

i was gonna redo the whole system and buy two infinity kappa perfect 10.1 subs and a beta amp. suggestions on which amp to buy? i wanna spend no more than $300

revil86

o yeah i forgot to mention the head unitits a sony xplod cdx-L410xi have an older alpine head unit at my disposali dont remember whats the model but people tell me that its alot beta than the sony

CrimsonQ

yes the alpine will sound alot betterand play those 2 subs off the 1 amp bridged, should sound better. imo

revil86

i've tried to bridge both subs into the mtx amp but it gets pretty hot, and im not even gonna bother puttin both subs into the american legacy.i think my next move will be to put in the alpine head unit like you said, then get a 1 farad cap, then try to put my spare 6.5" pioneer speakers in the front doors (i hate the 4" speakers, they dont produce the bass i want)

CiscoKid
Car: 1998 Q45

Revil86,Face the speakers OUT, just like in the picture of that red Q that someone posted in this thread. If you still have problems, have holes(ports) professionaly cut at rear window panel.

revil86

im planning on buying a new amp along with new subs. the amp is gonna be a boss iQ 3KD.1 for lke $280. can anyone gimme some ideas on which subs to buy. i wanna get two to replace the ones i got now.

CrimsonQ

Ive had problems with boss amps in the past. Poor quality. pick up a fosgate or ppi or mmatts

PoorManQ45

You may have you subs facing the wrong way and are getting some phase cancellation:

http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

pito11213
Car: 2002 Chevrolet Suburban

Rockford is a pretty damn good amp. Also look and kenwood and kicker.

revil86

ive removed the rear speakers so now the rearview mirror shakes alot more, which is what i wanted to see. not only that but i feel the bass in the seats more. i also put in the alpine head unit which allowed me more sound options.i wanted to add a cooling fan but didnt want to spend the money for a new one. so instead i found a spare CPU fan from my old computer (12v DC brushless) and mounted it above my MTX amp. i bought a 1A fuse and wired it to the remote terminal on the amp, and the negative on the ground. it wors pretty well but its kinda noisy, especially with the rear speakers taken out.does anyone know where i can buy the amps suggested above? most places i see on the net are dead ends.

CrimsonQ

heres what i have, it sounds perfect in my 90 Q

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-h...P4002

revil86

i saw this kenwood amp for sale and im pretty serious about buying oneits a kenwood excelon KAC-X811Dcan anyone comment on its durability and stuff like that?

Rex

revil86 wrote:i saw this kenwood amp for sale and im pretty serious about buying oneits a kenwood excelon KAC-X811Dcan anyone comment on its durability and stuff like that?
The older Kenwood stuff was okay, I gave Wes a old/used one and he used it for awhile, but I don't think he's moved it to the latest Q.

I'd reco, a few things, but it would be best to know your budget and needs.

BTW, these thignsa re frequently discussed in the Car Audio Forum.

revil86

my budget is kinda tight right now because i have to pay some ticketsbut i have like $320 to spend on my systemim specifically lookin for an amp thats 1 ohm stable

PoorManQ45

revil86

i have three OLD JL audio subs that were in the q when i bought it but i dunno what i should do wit them. suggestions? they are jl audio 10W012 subs

vicQ45
Car: 1979 Cadillac Eldog, 1987 Wagovan, 1968 Firebird 400

I second that! hifonics amps are the BEST value for the money. dirt cheap and very clean, powerful performance. i know a guy with a bx1500d running his Adire Brahma MkII(my fav. sub of all time) ported at 28hz and it can get so loud it feels like your ears are gonna bleed and still be crystal clear. for a few more $$ you mught be able to get a similar setup. i'll see if i can find any good deals on some great stuff.

also look into resonant engineering, elemental designs, and eclipse for good subs. adire shivas are also a great bang for the buck! you can find alpine type-r subs for dirt cheap too and they sound beautiful.

Rex

revil86 wrote:my budget is kinda tight right now because i have to pay some ticketsbut i have like $320 to spend on my systemim specifically lookin for an amp thats 1 ohm stable
Well, PMQ has already linked you to one of my recommnedations, the Hi-Fonics amps are strong, but it might be worth you watching ebay for an older Phoenix Gold amp, there are several they made years ago, that were stable to a nail .

I've actually picked up one for use in a project car sometime in the future, they're brutes and you can usually find some under $200.

sultan

i had subs (3 12s with 1 1000w amp). i turned down the bass on the headunit, adjusted the fade for more front and i still had tons of bass. there was an adjuster knob in the car for the amp, at 1/2 on that you could see the trunk lid move/bend.

my subs were mounted like this:

i actually removed them and i'm happy with how much bass the stock stereo puts out with the bass knob at 3/4.

Q_SHIP
Car: 1999 Q45T with a billion miles.

I had 2 10" JL audio subs. They were undoubtly the loudest subs I have ever heard. They beat so hard, I could drive up main street and set off every single car alarm around. Then they got jacked. That sucked.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”